PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Modern sportsbike front end. Besides Trademe, where can I find one?

Coyote
25th February 2013, 09:26
I'm still poor at the moment so I'm only researching or looking for bargains at this stage. Looking at my Gixxer's front end, I'm thinking it'll be easier and possibly cheaper to get a nice front end with more modern suspension and braking than the current ZXR750 set up that needs refreshing everywhere to make it work and look good.

I'm hoping to get wheel, forks, clamps, clip ons, calipers, controls, the whole lot basically. I'm expecting they'll all require moderate to significant modification in order to work.

I'm curious as to where all the stock front ends off race bikes go? Are they kept for when selling off the bike? Do they get forgotten in a shed? Is there a place I should be looking to see stock parts being sold off race bikes?

I keep my eye on Trademe, even Ebay (considering this actually...) (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-BMW-K1200S-Complete-Front-Suspension-Fork-Trailing-Arm-31447699652-/321046609761?hash=item4abfde7f61&item=321046609761&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr) and I might eventually go through a wrecker once I can afford too. Just wondering what other avenues can I explore?

Coyote
25th February 2013, 09:35
Ideally after parts people haven't got the space for and want to get rid of, or just want a bit of money for them. Everything on Trademe is mutton at lamb prices and the seller is willing to sit on it for years until they get the full price.

bogan
25th February 2013, 10:05
errr, that ebay link is for an 850usd BMW telelever front end. As far as I know, most race bike stock front ends go around the track with the rest of the bike.

From my research and personal experience; if you want it good looking, get some used USDs; if you want it good handling, get some new internals for the stock front end; if you want both, get some USDs and then get new internals for em.

imdying
25th February 2013, 10:33
eBay, there are millions of them! Also the WERA forums. Also give Shaun Harris a PM.

Coyote
25th February 2013, 17:22
errr, that ebay link is for an 850usd BMW telelever front end. As far as I know, most race bike stock front ends go around the track with the rest of the bike.

From my research and personal experience; if you want it good looking, get some used USDs; if you want it good handling, get some new internals for the stock front end; if you want both, get some USDs and then get new internals for em.
That link was more of a joke. It would make for an interesting streetfighter though.

I would prefer radial brake, USD forks. I know what I'm keen on, just need to find them all. A more modern stock front end will have better handling over the old set up, modifying internals can come later.

eBay, there are millions of them! Also the WERA forums. Also give Shaun Harris a PM.
I have seen a lot of dirt bike and Harley stuff on ebay, but rarely do I see sportsbike stuff. Plus after shipping and custom's blackmail charge, I probably wouldn't save any money.

Places like WERA are what I'm after, cheers! And I will contact Shaun.

Drew
25th February 2013, 18:31
Replacing the front end entirely is the expensive way to go about it.

Those forks are under sprung and in need of a rebuild for sure, but not the more expensive option.

Same with the brakes, they are 320mm rotors with decent callipers. Give them a freshen up and they're more than up to the job.

Coyote
25th February 2013, 20:56
Replacing the front end entirely is the expensive way to go about it.

Those forks are under sprung and in need of a rebuild for sure, but not the more expensive option.

Same with the brakes, they are 320mm rotors with decent callipers. Give them a freshen up and they're more than up to the job.
Pretty sure you know what you're talking about.

Sorry I've left such an awesome bike in pieces in my parents garage for years. Life got difficult for a while there.

I'll have a talk with the mechanics at work and see what I can do there, being the cheaper option. Otherwise I'll contact Robert Taylor. I'm in the middle of refreshing my Tuono's brakes so I've got that hang of that.

imdying
26th February 2013, 15:52
I have seen a lot of dirt bike and Harley stuff on ebay, but rarely do I see sportsbike stuff. Plus after shipping and custom's blackmail charge, I probably wouldn't save any money.Are you sure? EBay USA right? My last ones cost me less than $400, about $150 to buy. You have got to be doing something wrong... there's more choice on there than you should know what to do with!!!

First things first, check the fork swap list:
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl1000r-tl1000s-forum/95228-definative-fork-swap-chart.html

If you get something with the same size clamp areas (like I did) you can just reuse your clip ons and triples. Axle and discs spacers are a minor problem that any engineering firm can handle.

Remember with radial calipers you can choose anything you like (except stupid Yamaha 6 piston gear), so get whatever is a good deal... GSXR, ZX, CBR etc... I have 08 fireblade monoblocks on my 6R forks... cost $80USD and weigh not much!