PDA

View Full Version : Pukekohe alterations for V8s. Making the 'hill' more dangerous

Devil
25th February 2013, 11:18
My father just pointed this article out. WTF are they thinking? Sucks being a minority sport.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10867301

Devil
25th February 2013, 11:23
I love it how they say the barriers are removeable. Yeah right, if it's hard enough to move milk bottle bales, then I dont see a concrete barrier getting moved... ever.

budda
25th February 2013, 13:47
Cant for the life of me understand why ANY of us are surprised .............

Maha
25th February 2013, 15:50
Couple of ''telling'' comments here...

a) Racing operations manager Greg Mitchell said, ''Counties Racing wanted motorcycle events to continue at Pukekohe but would not comment further''

b) ''V8 officials say the barriers are removable, but the track owners are not commenting on whether they will do that''

Translation.....a) We can't please everyone ......and b) in a word...NO.

Voltaire
25th February 2013, 16:19
wondering....why are Auckland ratepayers contirubuting to a track owned privately? would it not have been better to complete HD and forget about Puke?

Did a bit of a search and appears to be owned partly by members of Counties Racing, as in horse racing. Anyone care to explain that relationship?

FJRider
25th February 2013, 16:53
Did a bit of a search and appears to be owned partly by members of Counties Racing, as in horse racing. Anyone care to explain that relationship?

Did your research not show that the Pukekohe park raceway incorporates a horse racing track ... ????

What a coincidence that Counties Racing own part of the road race track ... :lol:

Voltaire
25th February 2013, 17:03
Did your research not show that the Pukekohe park raceway incorporates a horse racing track ... ????

What a coincidence that Counties Racing own part of the road race track ... :lol:

Owned by members of the Counties Racing Club, not the club itself....unless thats owned by 3 or 4 guys.:lol:

trustme
25th February 2013, 17:35
I was told that the land belongs to the council but is leased to the racing club. I always thought the club owned it.
Another thread suggested that Motorsport NZ had an interest in it along with Manfield, Ruapuna & others but apparently not.
For the sake of clarity , does anyone know who owns what ??

HEB is a name I keep hearing then I am told it's BS

Voltaire
25th February 2013, 17:51
First I did a Pukekohe Racetrack search.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukekohe_Park_Raceway
Pasted Pukekohe Park Limited into the Companys Search

PUKEKOHE PARK LIMITED (1480637)

Company number: 1480637

Incorporation Date: 10 Feb 2004

Company Status: Registered

Entity type: NZ Limited Company

Constitution filed: No

AR filing month: July , last filed on 16 Jul 2012

Company Addresses:
Registered Office
Campbell Tyson Ltd, 7 Hall Street, Pukekohe, Auckland, 2120 , New Zealand

Address for service
Campbell Tyson Ltd, 7 Hall Street, Pukekohe, Auckland, 2120 , New Zealand

View all addresses

Directors Showing 2 of 2 directors

Douglas Heywood LINKHORN
761 Kaiaua Road, Rd 3, Pokeno, 2473 , New Zealand

David William SUTTON
54 Titi Road, Rd 3, Pukekohe, 2678 , New Zealand

search the names and see what comes up...

CRC Committee

CHAIRMAN

Darryl Butson

VICE CHAIRMAN

Dave Sutton

HONORARY TREASURER

Robert Price

DIRECTORS

Wi Pere

Kerry Stove

Bob Tangaroa

Mark Taylor

Harvey Wadham

FJRider
25th February 2013, 18:07
First I did a Pukekohe Racetrack search.

You should have searched "Counties Racing Club"

http://www.countiesracing.co.nz/

THEY own it.

Voltaire
25th February 2013, 18:28
You should have searched "Counties Racing Club"

http://www.countiesracing.co.nz/

THEY own it.

if you say so.....:yawn:

Although Pukekohe Park Raceway is better known internationally as a motor racing circuit, it is primarily a horse racing circuit in New Zealand. It is located 40 kilometres (24.9 mi) south of Auckland City in the North Island. The track is now owned by Pukekohe Park Limited.

scott411
25th February 2013, 19:18

the track is owned by Counties Racing CLub,

the Racing Club did not always own the race track, they only brought it all about 10 years ago from memory, the owner of the car/bike race track before that was a family most known for owning HEB Contractors, but they own a bit of stuff around the franklin area as well, (sorry cant remember the family name at this stage)

the old pit buildings were actually owned by someone else as well,

I know this as when this happened, i was the motorcycle rep on the Enterprise Franklin Motorsport Committee, which was formed to look into the motorsport devolpment in the area, with a motorsport hub being one of the targets, both Counties Racing, and the then to be devolped Hampton Downs had reps on the committee, like most council run things it did not get much acheived,

also interesting in those meetings was the Hampton rep wanting Pukekohe back then to put there hireage rates up before they had even opened,

Grumph
25th February 2013, 19:28
These things go in cycles...Budda may be old enough to remember the bloody Armco that sprung up everywhee in the 70's...and i mean bloody too. By the end of the 70's - mid 80's that safety theory was out of favour and we started getting huge runoff areas instead...
wait long enough and a combination of economics - limited circuit use equals lost revenue - and that sort of barrier going out of fashion again and who knows what changes we'll see.

Kickaha
25th February 2013, 19:35
Budda may be old enough to remember the bloody Armco that sprung up everywhee in the 70's...and i mean bloody too. By the end of the 70's - mid 80's that safety theory was out of favour and we started getting huge runoff areas instead..
I am sure the sweeper at Ruapuna used to have Armco on the outside of it when I went to the first Sound of Thunder

carburator
25th February 2013, 19:39
im certainly not going to go on about the in's and out's of pukekohe raceway
it's convoluted at the best of times and in honest, if the horsey lot had there
way there would be no motorsport at all...

The barriers in question are removable as they are just linked ( think old school meduim barriers )
its literally a day and a hiab truck and its done.

excuse the pun but nothing is set in concrete yet..

FJRider
25th February 2013, 19:46

And if you look at the names in post #9 ... you will see they feature in the Counties Racing Club.

Another coincidence .. ?? :laugh:

scott411
25th February 2013, 19:48
it's convoluted at the best of times and in honest, if the horsey lot had there
way there would be no motorsport at all...

actually, they dont mind it as it pays most there bills,and they brought the track so they could control the revenue (at least the employed lot that run the place no that, maybe some of the members think differently,

10 years ago they said it was safe until it needed the big upgrade and full resurface which would have been millions,

which it just got, thanks somewhat to the auckland tax payer (and you can even see the waikato from the Hairpin now)

carburator
25th February 2013, 19:53
actually, they dont mind it as it pays most there bills,and they brought the track so they could control the revenue (at least the employed lot that run the place no that, maybe some of the members think differently,

10 years ago they said it was safe until it needed the big upgrade and full resurface which would have been millions,

which it just got, thanks somewhat to the auckland tax payer (and you can even see the waikato from the Hairpin now)

hell you can take a piss into the waikato region from the hairpin now...

Kickaha
25th February 2013, 19:56

I'd rather piss on Pukekohe

FJRider
25th February 2013, 19:58

They probably need the irrigation ... so go for it ...

But they've been taking the piss out of the Waikato for years ... time to put back.

quallman1234
25th February 2013, 21:41
Its pretty simple really... Stop racing there. That's a good way to reduce the danger. Not worth the risk of a major injury/death.

Mental Trousers
25th February 2013, 21:47
On the plus side Puke has claimed it's last victim because MNZ will not sign off on any competition licences for meetings there.

Biggles08
26th February 2013, 06:21
My father just pointed this article out. WTF are they thinking? Sucks being a minority sport.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10867301

If you have a concern about the safety of Pukekohe make sure you go through the correct chanels and speak to MNZ about it rather than discussion on Kiwibiker.

p.dath
26th February 2013, 06:32
Looking at those concrete barriers I suspect it would be quite expensive to remove and put them back for one race meeting. So although they might be "temporary", the financial implications make them permanent.

From Pukekohe's perspective, they have one group of users for which they have been given a great gob of cash. Then there is this bikers lot over on the side, who only represent 10% of the usage, and aren't fronting up with any cash. So it is easy to see which way they are going.

The only way to have an equal say in a track would be to front with a pile of cash and buy a controlling interest in it. Hampton's is currently requesting more capital, but I doubt any motorcycle club has $10m to $20m, which is the minimum I would guess they would be wanting.

Pukekohe was nice while it lasted, but I think it is going to be relegated to the history books for motorcycle racing. It was nice knowing you.

Zedder
26th February 2013, 07:23
I was told that the land belongs to the council but is leased to the racing club. I always thought the club owned it.
Another thread suggested that Motorsport NZ had an interest in it along with Manfield, Ruapuna & others but apparently not.
For the sake of clarity , does anyone know who owns what ??

HEB is a name I keep hearing then I am told it's BS

If you're referring to the thread about Hampton Downs, it's the other way 'round. The racing tracks are minority shareholders in The Motorsport Company which is a subsidiary of Motorsport NZ.

budda
26th February 2013, 07:38
These things go in cycles...Budda may be old enough to remember the bloody Armco that sprung up everywhee in the 70's....

YOU, Sir, are old enough to know bloody well I do !!!!!!!!!!! Put the odd divot in a fair share of it too .......... Has always seemd quite a contradiction that as our GEAR has got better, the hazards have got exponentially greater !!!!!!!!!!!!

roogazza
26th February 2013, 07:39
If you have a concern about the safety of Pukekohe make sure you go through the correct chanels and speak to MNZ about it rather than discussion on Kiwibiker.

They've got their own site haven't they Biggles ?????

ps sorry couldn't help myself. lol :killingme

budda
26th February 2013, 07:50
On the plus side Puke has claimed it's last victim because MNZ will not sign off on any competition licences for meetings there.

MNZ's Not "Anti-Puke" ........ I'm certain Billy is no different to me, he simply wont sign off ANY Permit application until he is satisfied that the Circuit is as safe as realistically possible.

Plus there is an internal MNZ process that certifies permanent Circuits, and logically that cant be gone through until the Track changes and all the attendant barrier changes etc etc are finally finished.

That said, while no longer Commissioner, I CAN say MNZ's priority remains SAFETY .............

trustme
26th February 2013, 07:50
If you're referring to the thread about Hampton Downs, it's the other way 'round. The racing tracks are minority shareholders in The Motorsport Company which is a subsidiary of Motorsport NZ.
That makes sense.

Tony.OK
26th February 2013, 08:37
Can someone enlighten me on the difference between Puke's wall and Hampton's wall? Bothy seem similar in regards to speed and placement coming onto start straights.
Not ridden either so just wondering.

Billy
26th February 2013, 09:45
MNZ's Not "Anti-Puke" ........ I'm certain Billy is no different to me, he simply wont sign off ANY Permit application until he is satisfied that the Circuit is as safe as realistically possible.

Plus there is an internal MNZ process that certifies permanent Circuits, and logically that cant be gone through until the Track changes and all the attendant barrier changes etc etc are finally finished.

That said, while no longer Commissioner, I CAN say MNZ's priority remains SAFETY .............

Correct,

Just for the record,The development currently underway @ Pukekohe is not an MNZ project and if people knew the facts,They would know there is little point lobbying against the changes being made,We will wait til the development is finished and then discuss the finer details from commission level upwards.

codgyoleracer
26th February 2013, 11:20

Whys that ?

Biggles08
26th February 2013, 12:07
Whys that ?
Because discussing safety issues on a public forum is not the correct place to do this.
Many people visit this site, including people who do not have the best for motorcycle racing in their interests.

sugilite
26th February 2013, 12:10
Whys that ?
Because someone on the internet might suggest MNZ supply safety bags filled with marshmallows to put against the walls. Then MNZ will need to take shares in Pascals confectionery or risk being sued. ;)

codgyoleracer
26th February 2013, 12:23
Because discussing safety issues on a public forum is not the correct place to do this.
Many people visit this site, including people who do not have the best for motorcycle racing in their interests.

Motorcycle racing is not dangerous you say ?............ Hmmmmm

codgyoleracer
26th February 2013, 12:25
Because someone on the internet might suggest MNZ supply safety bags filled with marshmallows to put against the walls. Then MNZ will need to take shares in Pascals confectionery or risk being sued. ;)

You should propose that rule change, but make em the pink ones as i prefer those. Maybe mix in a few jellybabies & those ones with the gooey stuff inside, as it will give us all something to munch on whilst we sit on the wall and unable to rejoin.

wharfy
26th February 2013, 12:29
Whys that ?
See thread removed thread :)

sugilite
26th February 2013, 12:37
You should propose that rule change, but make em the pink ones as i prefer those. Maybe mix in a few jellybabies & those ones with the gooey stuff inside, as it will give us all something to munch on whilst we sit on the wall and unable to rejoin.
Very good points there good sir! Has me wondering though, were MNZ to fill up said bags with black jelly babies, there would be no crashes at all, as nobody seems to like those ones.

wharfy
26th February 2013, 12:41
Last paragraph of Herald article
Were pissing into the wind really - 100,000 that's about ten years worth of bike racing spectators !!

Meanwhile, tickets are still available for the April event, but Mosen expected corporate and grandstand tickets to sell out. He tipped a crowd of more than 100,000.

Grumph
26th February 2013, 14:47
Looking at those concrete barriers I suspect it would be quite expensive to remove and put them back for one race meeting. So although they might be "temporary", the financial implications make them permanent.

From Pukekohe's perspective, they have one group of users for which they have been given a great gob of cash. Then there is this bikers lot over on the side, who only represent 10% of the usage, and aren't fronting up with any cash. So it is easy to see which way they are going.

The only way to have an equal say in a track would be to front with a pile of cash and buy a controlling interest in it. Hampton's is currently requesting more capital, but I doubt any motorcycle club has $10m to $20m, which is the minimum I would guess they would be wanting.

Just to put things straight as to how they could be and have been done....The Canty Autocycle club - now MCI - put in i believe $25000 to get Ruapuna started - in return they got Easter free for 20 years. Some reinvestment was done and various deals struck for cheap hire. The BEARS club built toilets and amenities and got deals again for cheap hire.
To the best of my knowledge all these deals have now expired - and the Car clubs are very reluctant to tie themselves to any future deals in this way. This seems to be a general thing nationally with the car clubs who operate the pemaent circuits and there's nothing we can do about it now.

quickbuck
26th February 2013, 15:18
Last paragraph of Herald article
Were pissing into the wind really - 100,000 that's about ten years worth of bike racing spectators !!

Tell em ees dreamin.....
Last open day we had 70000 or so.... The AIRFIELD was PACKED!
There would be lucky to be enough space for 100k people at Puke....
IF he is talking 100000 tickets over THREE days, then may be so.... Just!

awa355
26th February 2013, 15:38
Maybe a little off topic here, but when the NZGP was first ran at Pukekohe, the 'hill' was called Rothmans corner.

Watching a car meeting on tv one day, and I heard reference to "Ford mountain" Surely that must have been a name given for that meeting??

Mountain??:killingme The Bathurst mob would laugh us out of town.

I would hate to see the bikes disappear from Pukey, Been to Hampton park once. As a spectator, I was disappointed.

GD66
26th February 2013, 16:41
Mountain??:killingme The Bathurst mob would laugh us out of town.

Always struck me as somewhat ironic that NZ with its hilly nature, had up until Hampton Downs Syndrome opened, a plethora of tracks that were pancake flat, and that Aussie tracks, apart from Surfers and later Ipswich, all had plenty of elevation. It'll be a shame if Hampton does suck the kumara before we get a chance to see what it could have become in its full-length format.

Biggles08
26th February 2013, 16:42
Motorcycle racing is not dangerous you say ?............ Hmmmmm

Not what I said G, but note that we have been told many times that KB is not the correct channel to discuss safety issues surrounding our sport. The OP has suggested Pukekohe is now even more unsafe for motorcycles with the new barrier in place. I would have thought this was an inappropriate topic for this forum and he should contact the motorcycle racing governing body to raise his concerns with them directly rather than here.

codgyoleracer
26th February 2013, 17:45
Not what I said G, but note that we have been told many times that KB is not the correct channel to discuss safety issues surrounding our sport. The OP has suggested Pukekohe is now even more unsafe for motorcycles with the new barrier in place. I would have thought this was an inappropriate topic for this forum and he should contact the motorcycle racing governing body to raise his concerns with them directly rather than here.

Yip agreed, if anyone wants to take an issue up "officially" , however if one just wants to shoot the breeze and bounce an idea or two around then what the hey.

Biggles08
26th February 2013, 18:03
Yip agreed, if anyone wants to take an issue up "officially" , however if one just wants to shoot the breeze and bounce an idea or two around then what the hey.

I don't think there is any descretion for discussing 'ideas' or 'shooting the breeze' when it comes to safety related issues and motorcycle racing. Clearly the OP has a problem with the new track layout at Pukekohe and he should only discuss this through the correct chanels without posting on a public forum (regardless of weather he is a MNZ member or not).

haydes55
26th February 2013, 18:39
I don't think there is any descretion for discussing 'ideas' or 'shooting the breeze' when it comes to safety related issues and motorcycle racing. Clearly the OP has a problem with the new track layout at Pukekohe and he should only discuss this through the correct chanels without posting on a public forum (regardless of weather he is a MNZ member or not).

Maybe op isn't effected by it personally and thought he would post in here in case anyone on here who would be concerned about there safety can raise the issue themselves. If I saw ehat I thought was a safety issue I would post it here. But I couldn't be bothered chasing it up when it doesnt effect meand others could follow it up.

p.dath
27th February 2013, 06:37

Let's see, do I have:
* Something offensive to say that may be considered legally indecent, no.
* Libel, no.
* Something racist or a breach of the bill of rights, no.
* Something that may breach privacy laws, no.
* Ethically questionable to myself, no.
* A contractual commitment controlling what I can say, such as a MNZ membership, no.

Hmm, it seems I (and many others) are free to say what they want on the issue to whomever will care to listen then. :)

Biggles08
27th February 2013, 09:56
Let's see, do I have:
* Something offensive to say that may be considered legally indecent, no.
* Libel, no.
* Something racist or a breach of the bill of rights, no.
* Something that may breach privacy laws, no.
* Ethically questionable to myself, no.
* A contractual commitment controlling what I can say, such as a MNZ membership, no.

Hmm, it seems I (and many others) and free to say what they want on the issue to whomever will care to listen then. :)

Well....it's pretty hard to argue against this list. I suppose you should also add:

*inciting anger/hatred/violence

The last point in your list you made I found interesting. Care to elaborate?

scrivy
27th February 2013, 10:55
Well....it's pretty hard to argue against this list. I suppose you should also add:

...and I guess thats the downside of KB. Allowing everyone to comment on every issue even if they're not affected/controlled by the outcome. Ah yes, the joys of internet forums. Take them with a pinch of shit.

The last point I guess he's refering to is MNZ's 'Code of Conduct' rule.

I guess, racers should just use the new forum Billy is going to set up. Problem solved.

budda
27th February 2013, 11:03
...and i guess thats the downside of kb. Allowing everyone to comment on every issue even if they're not affected/controlled by the outcome. Ah yes, the joys of internet forums. Take them with a pinch of shit.

The last point i guess he's refering to is mnz's 'code of conduct' rule.

I guess, racers should just use the new forum billy is going to set up. Problem solved.

zachary .............

Biggles08
27th February 2013, 11:27
...and I guess thats the downside of KB. Allowing everyone to comment on every issue even if they're not affected/controlled by the outcome. Ah yes, the joys of internet forums. Take them with a pinch of shit.

I guess, racers should just use the new forum Billy is going to set up. Problem solved.
Off topic alert!!

Absolutely agree with having a racer specific forum. As you may remember Quasimoto and myself tried setting one up a couple of years back however like many things that involve active participation by racers, this site soon died. The problem of course is the new mnz forum billy is setting up still does not address the issue that this site will still be frequented by many and many issues will still be discussed here...some of which will be controversial from some people's point of view. I agree, what is said on kb should be taken as a grain of salt however once people know your identity it seems you no longer can hide behind annominity. This seems to result in the poster being held accountable for your opinion regardless if that is exactly all it is...your opinion.
Anyway, off topic; I still maintain safety issues need to be taken up directly with mnz as this is the expected process to instigate change...even if you only wanted to discuss whether change is required with your peers.

FROSTY
27th February 2013, 14:03
Billy and I will have to agree to disagree on this subject. Yep a dedicated "racer only" forum makes sense no question whatsoever. Theres some "dirty laundry" arguably that OSH and the general media shouldn't be aware of untill a solution is in place.

But Im a firm believer in the mantra that it doesn't matter where an idea comes from. A good idea is a good idea.

On that basis Im really keen on discussing race issues on a public forum.

I got into a truck load of trouble a few years back for posting this thread in general rather than the race forum
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/61003-What-would-bring-YOU-to-watch-a-race-meeting?p=1294354#post1294354
I wanted to know really what it would take to bring the general BIKER population to a race meeting -let alone the normal petrolhead public.
The feedback from people who DON'T go to meetings I feel was fantastic.
KG and the team from AMCC listened to the feedback I think.(or maybee its wishfull thinking that Ive helped road racing in NZ a tiny bit)

THIS situation reminds me of the story I heard a long time ago.

An idiot truck driver had firmly jammed his truck in under a bridge.The police,the engineers,the fire service -Nobody could work out how to get the darn thing out without ripping the bridge to bits.
Then a lil kid pipes up and says --"why not let the air out of the tyres?

Billy
27th February 2013, 14:24
Billy and I will have to agree to disagree on this subject. Yep a dedicated "racer only" forum makes sense no question whatsoever. Theres some "dirty laundry" arguably that OSH and the general mediac shouldn't be aware of untill its sorted.
But Im a firm believer in the mantra that it doesn't matter where an idea comes from. A good idea is a good idea.

THIS situation reminds me of the story I heard a long time ago.

An idiot truck driver had firmly jammed his truck in under a bridge.The police,the engineers,the fire service -Nobody could work out how to get the darn thing out without ripping the bridge to bits.
Then a lil kid pipes up and says --"why not let the air out of the tyres?

Not sure why I would disagree with the bulk of that post....Except the very last sentence,Why wasn't that smartarse little pratt at school and who elses tyres had he been letting down ????

budda
27th February 2013, 14:36
Not sure why I would disagree with the bulk of that post....Except the very last sentence,Why wasn't that smartarse little pratt at school and who elses tyres had he been letting down ????

probably pinchin the alloy valve caps .........

scrivy
27th February 2013, 14:43
probably pinchin the alloy valve caps .........

....after he'd syphoned the diesel......

p.dath
27th February 2013, 15:33

Many club and organisations have a set of rules that you sign when you become a member, and it is not uncommon to have a "gag" clause, preventing people from speaking out publicly.

I don't know if MNZ has such a clause or not, since I am not a member.

scrivy
27th February 2013, 15:38
and it is not uncommon to have a "gag" clause, preventing people from speaking out publicly.

Is that like a marriage licence??? :lol:

nodrog
27th February 2013, 15:46
Is that like a marriage licence??? :lol:

why do you hate me? answer your phone.

ducatilover
27th February 2013, 15:48
I don't know if MNZ has such a clause or not, since I am not a member.

You must not speak of race club!

Out of interest, what are the barriers directly behind the barriers made of? I do understand the lack of run off sucks, but there's not exactly much run off to speak of there anyway

slowpoke
27th February 2013, 17:51
Why this absolute need to race bikes at Puke? The best solution put forward still leaves a pretty dodgy result....so why bother?

HD and Taupo are just up the road, so speak with your feet.

FROSTY
27th February 2013, 18:16
You must not speak of race club!

Out of interest, what are the barriers directly behind the barriers made of? I do understand the lack of run off sucks, but there's not exactly much run off to speak of there anyway
Mon theres a lot of difference between 4m of runoff and NONE. Ive seen a fair few guys "loose it" on the hill and gather it up enough on the grass to come to a halt or in one case (might not be that corner)gather it up and pass another rider to go on and win the race and the national title.

FROSTY
27th February 2013, 18:18
Why this absolute need to ride bikes ever?
Thar ya go editited and with the answer built in for you.

ducatilover
27th February 2013, 18:48
Mon theres a lot of difference between 4m of runoff and NONE. Ive seen a fair few guys "loose it" on the hill and gather it up enough on the grass to come to a halt or in one case (might not be that corner)gather it up and pass another rider to go on and win the race and the national title.

I didn't realise they'd blocked off that much run off, I now see what the fuss is about. :(

slowpoke
27th February 2013, 19:25
Thar ya go editited and with the answer built in for you.

That's an answer? You've been talking to my missus haven't you? :brick:

scracha
28th February 2013, 06:51
It is pretty bonkers. The open wheel car guys and some of the car trackdayers aren't impressed either. Close up photos show some sorta poles in ground holding the concrete in place. Wonder if the poles can be unscrewed and the concrete blocks simply removed after the V8's fark off every year? Really needs some land bought next to track and airfences. I wasn't prepared to race there before and since this latest addition I wouldn't even do a trackday/training there.

I could have seen some sort of safety compromise using cones before the hill or summit but Castrol Corner onto the long back straight can't be safe IMHO without some sort of runoff.

Read on some other forum a theory about the blocks being leftovers from the Hamilton street farce and that it's part of the V8 organisers "contribution" to the track in order to get all that lovely taxpayers money that's being wasted on the track in order to keep V8's there.

FROSTY
28th February 2013, 07:48
That's an answer? You've been talking to my missus haven't you? :brick:
LMAO--nahh mate. I reckon I'm a Hypocritical barsteward when it comes to pukie.
I've ridden and raced at the place for comeing up thirty years now and Have always FOR ME loved racing there.
Getting Jennian right is just an amazing feeling. Screw up the "esses" and you'll have no drive into castrol.
I remember many many years ago asking Paul Pav how to get castrol right and his reply was. "when you feel like your arse has puckered so hard its sucking the seat up--Then turn"
The speed on the back :"straight" you don't get anywhere else in NZ.Getting it right over the "hill" so the front end is light is just magic.
Yet I refused to run a track day there because it's too dangerous. -My life my choice but other peoples lives I wasn't prepared to risk.

Mental Trousers
28th February 2013, 07:58
Read on some other forum a theory about the blocks being leftovers from the Hamilton street farce and that it's part of the V8 organisers "contribution" to the track in order to get all that lovely taxpayers money that's being wasted on the track in order to keep V8's there.

They're using some of those barriers on SH3 down Mokau way to prevent debris from a cliff face getting onto the road.

malcy25
28th February 2013, 11:37
HD and Taupo are just up the road, so speak with your feet.

Cos really they're both shit.

I've 28 years under my belt at Puke and I treat aspects with caution, but there is some fantastics bits to it too.

And I get pissed off when arrogant people just think the world revolves around themselves (Ie the V8 boys rolling in and doing their own thing at every one elses expense).

FROSTY
28th February 2013, 12:35
And I get pissed off when arrogant people just think the world revolves around themselves (Ie the V8 boys rolling in and doing their own thing at every one elses expense).
Truth be known the only reason they can is because they have been allowed to by everyone else involved.
-if everybody else that uses the track said fuck off you arent doing that they would find a workable alternative.
Personally I thought that the "hill" should be sealed right up to the actual wall for 50m in either direction. White track edge paint to mark the edge of the track and airfence.

My thinking being that the crashes Ive seen there the grass does nothing to slow you down-if anything the oposite. Seal would offer 50% of guys the chance to recover. The others would hit the airfence anyway.

jellywrestler
28th February 2013, 12:41
My thinking being that the crashes Ive seen there the grass does nothing to slow you down-if anything the oposite. Seal would offer 50% of guys the chance to recover. The others would hit the airfence anyway. maybe the grass doesn't slow one done but it reduces the risk of a rider being chucked back out into the oncoming traffic

FROSTY
28th February 2013, 14:32
maybe the grass doesn't slow one done but it reduces the risk of a rider being chucked back out into the oncoming traffic
hey mon I'm no expert but the track can be bone dry and that grass as slippery as ice (from rain) At times its looked to me that the bikes ACCELERATED as they hit the grass rather than the intended slow down. Maybee they just stopped slowing and Ive got old eyes

budda
28th February 2013, 15:13
hey mon I'm no expert but the track can be bone dry and that grass as slippery as ice (from rain) At times its looked to me that the bikes ACCELERATED as they hit the grass rather than the intended slow down. Maybee they just stopped slowing and Ive got old eyes

I dont know anyone who heads for the grass in an attempt to slow down !!!!!!!!!!

malcy25
28th February 2013, 16:19
Truth be known the only reason they can is because they have been allowed to by everyone else involved.

want to be careful making such a statement gien the involvement many people have had thus far.

FROSTY
28th February 2013, 18:44
I dont know anyone who heads for the grass in an attempt to slow down !!!!!!!!!!
Point being that you don't slow before you hit the wall anyway.At least if the bike is still on its wheels you stand a show of stopping it before hitting the wall if its sealed.I always thought it should be kitty litter there. I know one reason its not is the track flooding would cause a torrent of kitty litter on the track there.

RobGassit
2nd March 2013, 05:38
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/videos/mark-skaife-pukekohe-track-update

roadracingoldfart
2nd March 2013, 06:00

Easy for you to say , youre a someone in the sport.:rolleyes:

?
But we all hate you Biggles

Im never reading your posts anymore because you constantly use KB and we all know what that means. I dont even race anymore but .... words now out im cleared to return if i want to :2thumbsup:banana::first:

Mental Trousers
2nd March 2013, 14:42
Click image

https://12238-console.memberconnex.com/images/Sponsorships/ITM400/Pukekohe_turn5_turn6_650.jpg (http://www.v8supercars.com.au/images/news/imageCarouselLrg/Track%201.jpg)

Shame about the other alterations making the track ridiculously dangerous. That looks like it'd be fun to see how fast you take the right hander and still make the left.

Grumph
2nd March 2013, 19:39
Put a bloody great hole in there and you've got the dipper at Ruapuna - in reverse.

slowpoke
3rd March 2013, 13:52
Put a bloody great hole in there and you've got the dipper at Ruapuna - in reverse.

Yep, as it is it looks like a carbon copy of Levels: Timaru, leading the country since ages ago!

jasonu
4th March 2013, 05:39
Click image

That looks like it'd be fun to see how fast you take the right hander and still make the left.

Maybe put in another chicane to slow you down for this chicane...

trustme
4th March 2013, 06:26
I see what Chris Amon means . The main passing spot for cars is the end of the straight, this will probably mean more processional racing with fewer places to pass.

scrivy
4th March 2013, 07:47
Processional racing......

Slotcars anyone??

300weatherby
4th March 2013, 16:02

Oi!, thought you had to sit in the naughty corner and be quiet!:weep:

Marmoot
4th March 2013, 17:21
I still don't understand what the difference is between this one and the Hampton Down's home straight's wall?

sugilite
4th March 2013, 17:53
I still don't understand what the difference is between this one and the Hampton Down's home straight's wall?
Your pretty much upright by the time you get to the wall at Hampton, where as your still quite leant over at the top of the hill at puke, and being the top of a rise, it is a lot easier to lose the rear.

jellywrestler
4th March 2013, 18:05

try google earth and see the difference in profiles

Marmoot
4th March 2013, 18:36
What about that fatality?

sugilite
4th March 2013, 18:54
What about that fatality?
Yeah, I think I know what your talking about. There was this weird ramp bump thing there where bikes got completely airborne, a guy lost control and unfortunately his life. Did HD remove it right away? Nope, they removed it after a poor little porche worshe lost control and hit the wall. :mad:

Mental Trousers
4th March 2013, 19:09
The fatality at HD was due to badly adjusted suspension. Rebound had been wound all the way in at both ends so the wheels would've been leaving the ground for much longer than usual.

scracha
4th March 2013, 22:19
The fatality at HD was due to badly adjusted suspension. Rebound had been wound all the way in at both ends so the wheels would've been leaving the ground for much longer than usual.

Bollox. If you watch anyone riding around there at a fair clip you would realise how dangerous that bump was and that it was an accident waiting to happen. The fact that there were big fookin metal posts jutting out from the opposite wall because nobody could be bothered to render them flush was inexcusable.

I believe this had been pointed out to Hampton down by two people and they did SFA about it.

Regardless of this and the suspension theory, nobody should expect to die from falling on a track designed in the 21st century.

Mental Trousers
5th March 2013, 07:35
Bollox. If you watch anyone riding around there at a fair clip you would realise how dangerous that bump was and that it was an accident waiting to happen. The fact that there were big fookin metal posts jutting out from the opposite wall because nobody could be bothered to render them flush was inexcusable.

I believe this had been pointed out to Hampton down by two people and they did SFA about it.

Regardless of this and the suspension theory, nobody should expect to die from falling on a track designed in the 21st century.

You're talking out your arse bro. The suspension adjustment problem wasn't a theory, it was confirmed by multiple people who know what they're doing (therefore they're not posting about it in forums).

Bykmad
5th March 2013, 08:12
Here are some more in depth photo's. Look at photo 17 in particular.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151343087109514.1073741827.267064334513&type=1

Voltaire
5th March 2013, 08:38
So looking at all that concrete is there only going to be cars racing there in the future?

BoristheBiter
5th March 2013, 09:37
So looking at all that concrete is there only going to be cars racing there in the future?

Just looks like a concrete lined circuit like a street race.
Anything that gets out of shape will have very little (if any) time to recover before it hits a wall.
Why have they put the new barriers so far away from the old ones?

I for one am glad i got to ride on it as i doubt there will ever be bikes back there.