PDA

View Full Version : Preventing bike theft?

iranana
25th February 2013, 11:22
Hey guys, so this isn't necessarily a survival thread... but it kind of is. I just got a new bike and since it's not a piece of crap like my last bike was, I've been more paranoid about theft lately. Sometimes I have to park out on the road over night and I hate this, but it's the only option apart from the sidewalk... So, what does everything think the best security measures are? Whenever I park I turn off the fuel tap, pull out the choke, put it in gear and put my steering lock on which will certainly slow down a thief/make it a good bit harder to take but it won't stop someone from chucking it in a van and driving off. I'm thinking I'll get a bike cover so people don't see it unless they go looking and it'll keep it nice and dry. As for GPS trackers... I've been contemplating installing one. If someone chucks it in their van at least I'll be able to follow it to a certain degree but do police chase up that sort of stuff? Seeing as they can't always be accurate and they can't measure elevation (if it's on the 23rd floor of a building, for instance, it'd be damn hard to find) I've wondered whether they'll go on a hunt for it. A good old big heavy coated chain around the wheel and frame is also another option...

What do you do to keep your bike safe and sound when it's not in your garage/at the mercy of the streets?

Motu
25th February 2013, 11:29
Your bike is in plain sight, everyone knows it's there, everything from now on is a token gesture.

bogan
25th February 2013, 11:35
GPS with a short range directional beepy thing so you can find it easier, both on a separate battery. Alternatively a GPS with the horn wired in to the engine cut, so at command you can set the horn blaring, good for narrowing it down to that pesky 23rd floor. A big chain connected to an immovable object is probably the best option for stopping it getting nicked in the first place.

Disco Dan
25th February 2013, 11:44
Go down to Bunnings and buy a large plastic box, couple of bags of quick set concrete and a length of drain pipe.

Cut drain pipe to fit the length of your box, wedge it in about half way down. Fill box with concrete. Once set turn box over and pry the block out.

You now have a big heavy block of concrete with a nice tube through the middle for a big chain. Drag block to where you park your bike and chain up.

Basically a 'temporary ground anchor'.

onearmedbandit
25th February 2013, 11:46
I remove a handle bar to stop people from stealing my bike.

cynna
25th February 2013, 12:12
with 2 of these

Disco Dan
25th February 2013, 12:13
with 2 of these

Son of a bitch or a daughter of a dog?

willytheekid
25th February 2013, 13:04
NOTHING! is as effective as the sound of a shotgun being cocked at 2am in the morning :msn-wink:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3295209984/h847F7FB2/

Seriously tho...insurance!...if they want ya bike...they WILL get your bike, the arseholes are sadly very efficient nowdays.

Another option...buy a cheap 2nd hand phone that supports location tracking software, and hide that sucker on the bike ;)

Personally, I never park the bike where I can't see it, and it lives in a locked & alarmed garage :yes: (But if someone REALLY wants to push there luck...the shotgun IS loaded with 2 rounds of salt shot...won't kill em...but it sure will make a well seasoned mess!!:crazy:...fuck bike thiefs!)

Disco Dan
25th February 2013, 13:21
NOTHING! is as effective as the sound of a shotgun being cocked at 2am in the morning :msn-wink:

Seriously tho...insurance!...if they want ya bike...they WILL get your bike, the arseholes are sadly very efficient nowdays.

Another option...buy a cheap 2nd hand phone that supports location tracking software, and hide that sucker on the bike ;)

Personally, I never park the bike where I can't see it, and it lives in a locked & alarmed garage :yes: (But if someone REALLY wants to push there luck...the shotgun IS loaded with 2 rounds of salt shot...won't kill em...but it sure will make a well seasoned mess!!:crazy:...fuck bike thiefs!)

Guns are bad... mmmkay...

-----------------------

Which phones support this?

MIXONE
25th February 2013, 13:30
A ramp up the steps to take it inside to your bedroom!

Disco Dan
25th February 2013, 13:35
WHy not just get a security guard to stand next to it.... :lol:

http://www.nzsec.co.nz/index.shtml#services

Akzle
25th February 2013, 13:37

-----------------------

Which phones support this?

no, guns are fucking awesome. and a great deterrent to thieving cunts.

most bike thefts aren't "chucked in a van" - they're two dudes rolling up on a bike, one hopping off the back, hotwiring your ride and cracking your steering lock, and two dudes riding off.

for one, the nokia c5-00 does, through a program called "f-secure", you can remotely do diddly on the phone, lock it with password, delete your data, get current GPS location, or make alarm go off. i'm sure there'll be an app for most phones in a similar vein,

elsewise jaycar have some black box alarm kits which require a SIM and plots it's movement on googlemaps...

jim.cox
25th February 2013, 13:49

No

Guns are neither good nor bad

Its what you do with them that counts

Preventing thieving scum from breathing is good in my book

Just dont point them at people you dont intend to kill...

tigertim20
25th February 2013, 14:44
Hey guys, so this isn't necessarily a survival thread... but it kind of is. I just got a new bike and since it's not a piece of crap like my last bike was, I've been more paranoid about theft lately. Sometimes I have to park out on the road over night and I hate this, but it's the only option apart from the sidewalk... So, what does everything think the best security measures are? Whenever I park I turn off the fuel tap, pull out the choke, put it in gear and put my steering lock on which will certainly slow down a thief/make it a good bit harder to take but it won't stop someone from chucking it in a van and driving off. I'm thinking I'll get a bike cover so people don't see it unless they go looking and it'll keep it nice and dry. As for GPS trackers... I've been contemplating installing one. If someone chucks it in their van at least I'll be able to follow it to a certain degree but do police chase up that sort of stuff? Seeing as they can't always be accurate and they can't measure elevation (if it's on the 23rd floor of a building, for instance, it'd be damn hard to find) I've wondered whether they'll go on a hunt for it. A good old big heavy coated chain around the wheel and frame is also another option...

What do you do to keep your bike safe and sound when it's not in your garage/at the mercy of the streets?

Im a fan of putting it in the bedroom or the lounge.

Another option is to go for a walk around the area you live in search of people with a garage, one that doesnt appear to get used, and see about renting it off them. I know of people who have rented a neighbor's garage for $10 a week or so, you wont notice the $10, the owner gets a little coin for nothing, and you have a secure place to keep, and do maintenance on your bike when its too wet to do it outside.

GPS trackers are, IMO a must, they can be hidden damn near anywhere and give you a better chance of finding it, or whats left of it, if it gets nicked, Id say do that whether or not you do anything else.

Any measure though, is really only going to stop the opportunist cunt, the motivated cunt will steal your bike no matter what you do to keep it safe.

Hitcher
25th February 2013, 15:41
Put a cover over it. Out of sight is out of mind.

And fit a disc lock.

Just like the golden rule for car security: Make your bike look 5% harder to steal than the one parked next to it.

Road kill
25th February 2013, 16:02
Personally I would of sorted this problem before buying the fucking bike mate,,,but that's just me aye:rolleyes:

Tell ya'what but,,,,pay me enough money an I'll let ya' cry on my shoulder when the inevitable happens.

I'm really good like that too.

steve_t
25th February 2013, 16:08
Dynabolt a ground anchor to the road where you park. Chain and lock through the back wheel. Disc lock for the front wheel PLUS a reminder cord thingy so you don't forget to remove it before riding off.

Insurance

nodrog
25th February 2013, 17:24

most bike thefts aren't "chucked in a van" - they're two dudes rolling up on a bike, one hopping off the back, hotwiring your ride and cracking your steering lock, and two dudes riding off.

Somebodies been watching too much CSI Miami/New York/Otara

Conquiztador
25th February 2013, 17:37
Join a Motor Cycle club that has a clubroom/pad where your bike can live when not in use.

Flip
25th February 2013, 17:43
When I am AWOL the scoot has an alarm that disables the electronic ignition module.

Failing that Mr 12 gauge is a good friend of mine.

During the day my scoot is chained to the floor in my workshop. The workshop is a solid concrete building with a big heavy sliding door with a steel reinforced judas door. The windows have heavy bars fitted and the building has a monitored silent alarm.

ellipsis
25th February 2013, 19:15

for one, the nokia c5-00 does, through a program called "f-secure", you can remotely do diddly on the phone, lock it with password, delete your data, get current GPS location, or make alarm go off. i'm sure there'll be an app for most phones in a similar vein,

elsewise jaycar have some black box alarm kits which require a SIM and plots it's movement on googlemaps...

...as usual...full of shit...you ever presented a gun at someone...wanker...

carburator
25th February 2013, 19:52
if they want your bike, they are going to take it or trash it..

do a flyer drop and see if anyone has a garage to rent,
I rent the old blokes garage down the road from me as
he does'nt drive any more, plus i look in on the old bugger
and make sure he's ok too..

Berries
25th February 2013, 21:08
Personally I would of sorted this problem before buying the fucking bike mate,,,but that's just me aye:rolleyes:
Yep. Find a way to get the bike off the road, move house or sell it for some cheap shit that you don't care about. A cover will do fuck all as the person who wants it will know where you park it every night, they will have followed you home or seen you putting the cover on. If they want it they will have it - been there, done that and it is not a great feeling to look out the window and see a space where you parked the bike an hour before.

Get a sensor alarm if you fancy running out the house in the nude to tackle a couple of thieving bastards who are tooled up. Get GPS if you fancy finding the thing in bits on the 23rd floor or in a hedge somewhere. Or get somewhere to park it off the street.

Fuck. What is that scraping noise? Quick, look out the window.

Paranoid yet?

huff3r
25th February 2013, 21:09
A good GPS tracker WILL do elevation. How do you think they use GPS for Horizontal (LNAV) and Vertical (VNAV) navigation on aeroplanes? So the 23rd floor problem is non-existent. GPS tracking is definitely a good option.

Disco Dan
25th February 2013, 21:11
$1 phone off trademe then visit this page:

http://techtips.salon.com/gps-track-cell-phone-23247.html

Gianz
25th February 2013, 21:55
A good GPS tracker WILL do elevation. How do you think they use GPS for Horizontal (LNAV) and Vertical (VNAV) navigation on aeroplanes? So the 23rd floor problem is non-existent. GPS tracking is definitely a good option.

You think aeroplanes use GPS for Vnav :eek5: ever heard of IRS?

Read this:http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/

confessions of a bike thief. Interesting read.

Akzle
26th February 2013, 06:14
Somebodies been watching too much CSI Miami/New York/Otara

:doh:

haven't had a TV for over 10 years...and fuck auckland.

Conquiztador
26th February 2013, 07:00

Read this:http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/

Had a read of the lot there. As a result I will not have any bike bits posted home anymore.

huff3r
26th February 2013, 07:24

Yes I have (having sat all my ATPL licence exams), however during instrument flight, especially light aircraft, they can also use GPS for VNAV (although it isn't approved in NZ currently). The Aircraft I flew for my instrument rating did not have an IRS, but was capable of GPS VNAV, completely independent of the barometric altimeter.

iranana
26th February 2013, 08:37
I'm liking the idea of renting someone's garage, think I'll go that route. I'm not riding the new bike at the mo - it needs some work to get it on the road but my main concern about riding it is the fact that I often have to leave it out in public (it's a 35 year old thing so I might actually just be paranoid, dunno if people steal uncommon old bikes). But I worked hard for the cash and a fair amount of sweat and effort will go into doing it up so having it nicked is the last thing I want. Will do a flyer drop to see if I can find a garage. Thanks for the tips guys.

BuzzardNZ
26th February 2013, 10:49
I'm liking the idea of renting someone's garage, think I'll go that route. I'm not riding the new bike at the mo - it needs some work to get it on the road but my main concern about riding it is the fact that I often have to leave it out in public (it's a 35 year old thing so I might actually just be paranoid, dunno if people steal uncommon old bikes). But I worked hard for the cash and a fair amount of sweat and effort will go into doing it up so having it nicked is the last thing I want. Will do a flyer drop to see if I can find a garage. Thanks for the tips guys.

I rent a garage and share it with another biker, so the rent is not so bad. Only bummer is the walk from home to the garage ( almost 1 k :weep: )

haydes55
26th February 2013, 11:09
Get a seat cover. With an inch long needle sticking out. Keep a dog with rabies in the back yard and wipe some rabies slobber on the needle every night.

nathanwhite
26th February 2013, 12:16
http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/

Bit of reading for you from an ex motorcycle thief.

The gist of what I got from this was: Make it looks hard to steal. If they want it, then they will take it, more or less no matter what. So you have to make it look not worth their time. Chained down in a garage with alarmed disc locks on is the best. Never keep it parked in front of an apartment building. Disc locks go on the back wheel (harder to get to to take off) Steering lock engaged. Etc.

GPS and watnot is all good for getting it back, but no so much for preventing it in the first place.

Disco Dan
26th February 2013, 12:32
http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/

Bit of reading for you from an ex motorcycle thief.

The gist of what I got from this was: Make it looks hard to steal. If they want it, then they will take it, more or less no matter what. So you have to make it look not worth their time. Chained down in a garage with alarmed disc locks on is the best. Never keep it parked in front of an apartment building. Disc locks go on the back wheel (harder to get to to take off) Steering lock engaged. Etc.

GPS and watnot is all good for getting it back, but no so much for preventing it in the first place.

That was a VERY interesting read.

What I got from it:

Back wheel is better than front wheel for ALL locks (even disk locks).
Put chain through frame or if not possible REAR wheel and always keep it off the ground.
The more locks/alarms/gps etc on it the longer it takes - vast majority of scum will walk away if it takes too long.
The 'putting in the back of a van' thing is a bit of a myth, it still happens but is mostly amateurs doing it who get caught pretty easily!
Best FREE trick is to keep a small stubby screwdriver in your tank bag and remove the clutch lever. Only takes a few seconds to do.
A bike with rfid keys etc - they simply turn up with a plug in lock barrel on a loom and matching ECU. 10 seconds and they are riding away.
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS put the steering lock on. It makes a noticeable 'crack' when broken and is used to test if a bike has an alarm.
Sometimes they will crack the steering lock then walk off and hide - to see if a silent alarm was tripped.

The pros have trailers with RF shielding and a shielded workshop to take it too for bikes that have lojacks/GPS installed.
Others will take bike to a safe place and then leave it - come back next day, if it is still there then they are pretty certain no GPS/lojack installed and take it to their workshop to strip.

Most bikes are stripped down to parts within a couple of hours of being stolen...

If you fit an alarm - wire it into the loom and make sure ALL your wiring looks factory. Anything out of the ordinary (like crimped connectors) will lead the scum straight to your alarm/gps etc. Good places to hide them are in headlight surround and inside the airbox or underneath the airbox.

Also - front rotor: round off the bolts so they cannot be removed easily if you fit a lock to it.

Usual procedure:

remove seat and tank and wire ignition. So don't put alarm or spare key under seat or tank. If you can replace bolts that hold tank on with security bolts, different ones too - for example my tank has two 13mm bolts, replace one with a star type bolt the other another type. This all ADDS TIME to remove which is what you need to keep your bike.

Covers: a long braided cable wrapped around the cover securing it to the bike is a top tip.

If you see your cover has been disturbed - they will be back...

Putting in extra hidden kill switches is only going to stop school kids. The pros plug in straight to the ECU and bypass the lot...

Conquiztador
26th February 2013, 13:56
That was a VERY interesting read.

What I got from it:

Back wheel is better than front wheel for ALL locks (even disk locks).
Put chain through frame or....

.....going to stop school kids. The pros plug in straight to the ECU and bypass the lot...

I also had a read of the full thing, and I think you have done a very good summarising.

The only things from that to add are:
- Shops (or more precisely staff at shops) are not always our friends (not sure how much this applies to little NZ, but can't be too careful...) so if you can avoid letting them know where the bike lives all the better.
- Do not leave the bike in front of your house or in a van at the front even for a short while as there are "scouts" on the prowl who will contact the pro's with the info and get a "finders fee".
- There was nothing re finding bikes on the web (chat sites type KB) and then figuring out where the owner lives!
- Obscure ones are not what the pro's go for. (Very limited market)
- If you have found this chap that always tends to get the bits you are looking for, then perhaps ask your self how come, and what are you supporting???
- Very few of the pro's are big hairy bikers. They are more likely someone who does not get noticed on the street, and also has no interest in a confrontation.

Akzle
26th February 2013, 15:35
of course, doing a flyer drop you could be advertising it to the guy that wants to steal it, too... probably avoid dropping flyers round the black power HQ eh...

- Very few of the pro's are big hairy bikers. They are more likely someone who does not get noticed on the street, and also has no interest in a confrontation.

slippery fucking scum, they are. nothing like a claw hammer in the kneecap to slow them down though...

Hitcher
26th February 2013, 16:05
Armed with all of this useful knowledge, I now have my retirement savings taken care of!

Paulo
26th February 2013, 16:23
Find a garage as soon as possible, I had a brief stint without one. I used about 6 different locks and heavy duty chains plus a cover, It was a PITA (I kept most of the heavy chains in one spot around a lampost and pretty soon the neighbours learned to leave that space clear for the bike, they also kept an eye out for me but I guess that depends on what sort of neighbours you have) I figured the more the locks the better , also lock it to something solid like a lamp-post or ground anchor. put a cover over it and then another lock around the cover, I also used to tie the cover on with rope to stop it blowing over or acting as a sail in the wind and pulling the bike over. It also stopped nosy bastards taking a look under the cover. Basically the more of a pain it is the better chance they'll try and nick something that takes a bit less effort and out of sight is out of mind.

nodrog
26th February 2013, 19:13
I hope you guys have your tinfoil hats on too?

Mungatoke Mad
26th February 2013, 20:27
Somebodies been watching too much CSI Miami/New York/OtaraYou 4got Shortland Street :killingme

Gianz
27th February 2013, 11:39

I must be in the ignore list of a few people... i already posted it

Conquiztador
27th February 2013, 13:33
I must be in the ignore list of a few people... i already posted it

Nah. Many of the Yodas and gurus on here only need to read the heading for the thread and then the last posting before providing their valuable and mindblowing input. :lol:

pete-blen
3rd March 2013, 10:01
Easy to instal alarm that won't brake the bank on Ebay..
sencers movement & hot wireing...
how good they are ..who knows..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Motorbike-12v-Compact-Alarm-Fits-Yamaha-XT-660-X-Supermotard-/150889070803?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2321b080d3#ht_8523wt_1170

Chooky
3rd March 2013, 18:19
I read somewhere... here on KB I think that if you don't want your bike stolen, then get a Suzuki.....:cool:

Edbear
3rd March 2013, 18:46
I read somewhere... here on KB I think that if you don't want your bike stolen, then get a Suzuki.....:cool:

Left my C50T in Main Street Hamilton for a couple of hours with the key in the ignition... :whistle:

bluninja
3rd March 2013, 18:47

That's good for me then :) I find vicious killer guinea pigs hidden under the seat works well. I've never known a bike secured in such a way be stolen :cool:

Apart from the 'making it difficult to steal" you could also apply smartwater, datatag, or alphadot so your expensive bike bits need some work before they can be sold on.

Disco Dan
3rd March 2013, 19:23
That's good for me then :) I find vicious killer guinea pigs hidden under the seat works well. I've never known a bike secured in such a way be stolen :cool:

Apart from the 'making it difficult to steal" you could also apply smartwater, datatag, or alphadot so your expensive bike bits need some work before they can be sold on.

I just so happen to have a couple of Guinea Pigs...

This one's named Sid Pig - doubt he would like it on the bike. He likes wearing glasses though...

bluninja
3rd March 2013, 19:33
I just so happen to have a couple of Guinea Pigs...

This one's named Sid Pig - doubt he would like it on the bike. He likes wearing glasses though...

That's the point ...they get all gnarly and if someone tries to move the bike....wheek wheek!! and the would be thief is dispatched like a piece of capsicum.

Flip
29th May 2013, 20:24
I like the idea or those GPS tracking thingies.

At least then you can go around and get the bike back.

sketch
29th May 2013, 22:17
how bout every body is just a good cunt and doesnt go and steal other peoples bikes,:2thumbsup