PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop D218 tyres

DEATH_INC.
15th August 2005, 19:36
OK. With all the other tyre reviews I thought I better do one on the 218's as well.
These were recommended to me by a mate in aussie,as they're real popular over there.
Performance. Brilliant grip and feel in both wet and dry,I'd go as far as to say these are the best tyres I've used to date.I get most tyres to slide around a little but these up until sunday when the rear was getting shot have never slid once,even chasing LB in the rain at speeds I've never thought possible.After the rear got quite worn it was sliding a fair bit under heavy power,but still felt very predictable.The front is getting down too,but is still performing as good as ever.As LB pointed out we had a bit of a moment when we got a bit carried away in a cornering competition and to the tyres credit even after I'd f****d up big time they pulled me through fine even though the rear was almost shot at this point.I really cant say enough about how well they work.10 outta 10.
Wear. Now we meet the down side....the rear lasted exactly 950km before it was absolutely shot.By 600km LB and myself were looking at it wondering who stole all the tread.At 900km they started to loose a lot of their brilliant grip,but still only under heavy power outta corners.The front is getting pretty sad too,but it's been on there longer than the rear(prolly about 13-1400km),but I doubt I'd get two rears to one front.2 outta 10.(to put the mileage into perspective I normally get around 2000 k's outta a rear,and two rears to one front)
I can't comment on track performance (cause I'm slower than treacle) and haven't been on the track with 'em.
Conclusion. If money wasn't an object I'd stay with these,as I said before I haven't used better,but in the real world they just wear too damn fast.Overall they'd get a 7 outta 10 from me.

Zed
15th August 2005, 20:44
Now we meet the down side....the rear lasted exactly 950km before it was absolutely shot.By 600km LB and myself were looking at it wondering who stole all the tread.Far out D, that sounds more like a fault!! You should take 'em back for a refund/replacement only getting that sort of mileage out of them...it's not like you wore them out on a track day or did some horrendous burnout!

Maybe it was all that extra weight on one wheel? :spudflip:

DEATH_INC.
15th August 2005, 20:49
I've e-mailed dunlop about it,I'm waiting to see if they'll do something....

loosebruce
15th August 2005, 23:12
It's crazy to think that 218's are standerd fittiment on bikes such as R1's ZX10R's and the CBR's, very good tyre but wear wise, i could understand why the AV40 was so shit, being a realtivly old tyre by todays standards but the 218 isn't, think if it was summer and road temp was higher and or if you'd thrown a couple of track days in as well, whaddaya mean you only got 500km.
The question is what ya gonna run next??

loosebruce
15th August 2005, 23:13
Also be interesting to hear from others using 218's as to what milage you have got from them.

Eyetie
16th August 2005, 09:29
Bruce, just gone from a D208 (rear) after 3700 Kms to a D218, so will be interesting to see what I get out of this, can't see it being less than a 1000Kms, Death and I ride a bit differently I think :). Have done about 500 Kms so far on the 218 and it definitely gives you a lot of confidence.

wkid_one
16th August 2005, 10:08
Sounds as bad as the Rennsports - they last as long as a fart in a wetsuit

Groins_NZ
16th August 2005, 12:03
500Kms!! that's a one day's good ride. Gotta be something afoot there aye.

Lou Girardin
17th August 2005, 08:29
It's called sacrificing tread life for grip. $1.00 per km is a bit expensive for my taste.

DEATH_INC.
18th August 2005, 20:28
The question is what ya gonna run next??
It's looking like I'm gonna run a D220st,they're gonna do me one at half price (worked out as I only got half my normal mileage outta the rear).I gotta keep 'em updated as to how it goes.
Big thumbs up to forbes and davies :niceone:

loosebruce
18th August 2005, 20:39
It's looking like I'm gonna run a D220st,they're gonna do me one at half price (worked out as I only got half my normal mileage outta the rear).I gotta keep 'em updated as to how it goes.

Sweet man, D220 huh, wonder if it'll stick better than the 218?

Nice to see a company getting behind their product and giving you a deal like that as it has nothing to do with the rider. Alright lads place your bets on how long this one will last............

Lou Girardin
19th August 2005, 08:27

D220 is a sport/touring tyre. It'll be interesting to see how it grips, but I doubt it'll be as good as the 218.
Forbes are Metz importers, why don't you try a Z6?