PDA

View Full Version : Shark attack at Muriwai - one dead

YellowDog
27th February 2013, 14:07
SHAAAAARK ME !!!

Someone may have been killed by a Shark at Muriwai - WOW

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10868127&ref=rss

Let's hope that the guy died of something else and she now shot dead shark was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Condolences to family and friends. Don't really expect that up here :no:

Usarka
27th February 2013, 14:09
Evidently a cop went all sledgehammer dirty harry and shot the shark 20 times.

Also, supposedly they've dragged the shark out of the water. Will be interesting to see what it is, they always blame great whites.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8359135/Shark-attacks-and-kills-beachgoer

YellowDog
27th February 2013, 14:13
Shit yes, that's a much better report and removes any doubt at all.

The guy from Piha will be asking "now do you believe me?"

Maha
27th February 2013, 14:14
''One person has died following an apparent shark attack at Muriwai Beach on Auckland's west coast this afternoon''.

"We don't know whether the deceased was killed by the shark or was dead prior to the shark arriving," he said.

Well which statement do we believe?...guess the shark knows.

YellowDog
27th February 2013, 14:16
''One person has died following an apparent shark attack at Muriwai Beach on Auckland's west coast this afternoon''.

"We don't know whether the deceased was killed by the shark or was dead prior to the shark arriving," he said.

Well which statement do we believe?...guess the shark knows.

Stuff has it a lot more concisely. The shark's dead and so is the so is the swimmer!

Maha
27th February 2013, 14:23
That is shocking....I don't think I have ever heard of a someone being killed by a shark at any NZ beach before.
Anne and myself were told to get out of the water at Ruakaka in Jan'...there was a shark just beyond the breakers but heading to deeper water.
They often lurk there apparently, basking in the warm water.

We were swimming about 200m from the flagged area...as were about 6 others.

Paul in NZ
27th February 2013, 14:50
Looks like there was a gang of them...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10868127

Probably street sharks...

HenryDorsetCase
27th February 2013, 14:57
Evidently a cop went all sledgehammer dirty harry and shot the shark 20 times.

Also, supposedly they've dragged the shark out of the water. Will be interesting to see what it is, they always blame great whites.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8359135/Shark-attacks-and-kills-beachgoer

What with? Glock is 17 or 19 rounds. Do they have long rifles with big mags?

Sharks are amazing and very cool. Sure, sad someone got killed but put that shit in perspective: around five people a year WORLDWIDE are killed by sharks: more than a hundred each year by rhino. Thousands upon thousands drink or drug themselves to death. Shark attack is very very rare.

Why do they attack people in the water? They are apex predators, and their main diet is seals. Seals have evolved to swim very fast, and very nimbly, and more importantly, very QUIETLY. they dont trail bubbles, they dont leave air streams they minimally disturb the water. Except if they are old, sick or injured. Their disturbed movements say to a shark: "Easy dinner here". That improves the shark's diet, and also improves the genetics of the seal population by culling the weak. Except, to a shark, people in the water look like sick seals. They are roughly the same size, they disturb the water, and they kick and thrash. It is a tribute to how great a hunter a shark is that more people arent attacked by them.

And fucking asian countries need to be nuked back to the stone age. Shark fin soup is a sign of wealth. So unscrupulous fishermen haul sharks up, cut off the finds then throw the rest over the side. It is cruel, it is pointless, and it fucks up an ecosystem. What happens when you reduce the apex predators by 90%: uncontrolled growth of what they feed on. Lesser sharks eat fish. a lot of fish. Which eat plankton and shit. The plankton produce most of the oxygen we're breathing (fun fact: WAY more than trees do: look at a globe and see why). Fish numbers up, plankton numbers down, oxygen levels down. we all die.

Perspective. and give money to Sea shepherd.

Another fun fact: Sharks have seven senses. The five you do, plus sensors in their noses to detect vibration, and another detector down their sides to detect electrical activity.

Sharks are my favourite sea creature by far. Dolphins and seals and whales can kiss my ass.

Kornholio
27th February 2013, 15:13
What with? Glock is 17 or 19 rounds. Do they have long rifles with big mags?

He may have had more than one clip... I would have gone out with grenades as well :|

HenryDorsetCase
27th February 2013, 15:22
He may have had more than one clip... I would have gone out with grenades as well :|

Thanks Jayne *

*You're a fan of FIREFLY, one trusts?

qLlNpSXlgAM

Kornholio
27th February 2013, 15:29
Thanks Jayne *

*You're a fan of FIREFLY, one trusts?

No but I was raised on Rambo, Terminator, Commando, Chuck Norris and the like... everyone needs grenades :)

Laava
27th February 2013, 15:42
No but I was raised on Rambo, Terminator, Commando, Chuck Norris and the like... everyone needs grenades :)

And slo mo.

SMOKEU
27th February 2013, 16:06
And fucking asian countries need to be nuked back to the stone age.

Dolphins and seals and whales can kiss my ass.

Racist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUbZJcdlcSc

My cousin told me that if a shark bites me, I should just bite it back.

Road kill
27th February 2013, 16:42
I hope it turns out to be a GW,,,then the pig that killed it can be prosecuted.

Lets see who's worth the most, a GW shark,a coconut shot dead on the southern motorway,or a biker nailed during a U turn.

What ever it was probably just a 7 giller feeding on some dead cunt,,but I'm still rooting for the GW and the jailing of the pig that killed it.

huff3r
27th February 2013, 17:38
I hope it turns out to be a GW,,,then the pig that killed it can be prosecuted.

Lets see who's worth the most, a GW shark,a coconut shot dead on the southern motorway,or a biker nailed during a U turn.

What ever it was probably just a 7 giller feeding on some dead cunt,,but I'm still rooting for the GW and the jailing of the pig that killed it.

No he can't. Endangered animals that have attacked humans are fair game, always have been. Normally standard practice with tigers/lions etc is, if it's killed a human, find it and kill it. Sharks are able to escape and disappear a lot easier!

Katman
27th February 2013, 18:04
Sometimes nature bites back.

madandy
27th February 2013, 18:33
As well as the White Pointer, Mako and a Bronze Whalers have killed humans off NZ beaches over the years...one every thirteen years or so.
We had shark warnings off the Mt Maunganui beach two Summers ago.
Also saw one in the waves around 1999 off Coopers Beach, probably 2m in length... Just big enough to keep most from the water.

When cops shoot drunk drivers who kill humans I will support the killing of man killing animals...until then accept we are playing in their sand pit, not ours...

Disco Dan
27th February 2013, 18:38
Stupid prats trying to shoot the shark/s...

Bullets do NOT work in water... despite what Hollywood has most believe..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSTuLIjRm8

Besides, the sharks where just doing what they do.... over fished enough as it is without some prat trying to shoot it.... :brick::brick:

scissorhands
27th February 2013, 19:17
I've had to leave the water twice for real shark presence not unquantified scares.

1 Fishermen cleaning fish 100m from us surfing at Karekare, shark surfaces we leave the water
2 Awana Gt Barrier, just cruising by

Both mid summer warm water

Muriwai has a [growing] seal colony on a near offshore Island. The swimmer was swimming around a headland with probably a lot of fishermen with bated hooks and maybe berley pods.

It a bit like riding with bad tyre's in the wet.

As a surfer I hope they get the shark.

When I lived in Margaret River West Oz I surfed south point and lefthanders all the time.
2 surfers deaths there last year right where I used to sit on my board...

3 weeks ago I got heat stroke from surfing 5-7 hours day, and have been out of the water/sunlight since. Surfs been great lately, normally I would have been out @ Piha every day this week...

Dont swim around headlands esp when bait is in the water

ellipsis
27th February 2013, 19:35
Dolphins and seals and whales can kiss my ass.

...what about seahorses...

Swoop
27th February 2013, 19:57
Stuff has it a lot more concisely. The shark's dead and so is the so is the swimmer!

Well, the cop discharged his firearm at the shark that then swam off, according to Te News. Being a 9mm the shark was probably laughing all the way.

R.I.P. Swimmer.

YellowDog
27th February 2013, 20:41
Well, the cop discharged his firearm at the shark that then swam off, according to Te News. Being a 9mm the shark was probably laughing all the way.

R.I.P. Swimmer.

The stories are quite conflicting. The video show what happens to a bullet in water was quite amazing AND also enlightening.

If it is possible to hear a shark laugh, you would have heard it today :yes:

nosebleed
27th February 2013, 21:50
... some enlightening stuff...

Sharks are my favourite sea creature by far. Dolphins and seals and whales can kiss my ass.

Wait, aren't you a lawyer?
No surprises there then. That's like Smokeu pointing out his favourite crop is cotton

Milts
27th February 2013, 21:53
Stupid prats trying to shoot the shark/s...

Bullets do NOT work in water... despite what Hollywood has most believe..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSTuLIjRm8

Besides, the sharks where just doing what they do.... over fished enough as it is without some prat trying to shoot it.... :brick::brick:

True and not true. If you watch the whole episode, you'll see that slower, lighter bullets, and especially subsonic bullets, manage significant penetration into water. So a handgun has a much better chance than a large rifle.

Interesting article on the whole hunting sharks to extinction thing, which is real problem: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/11/AR2010121100223.html

carburator
27th February 2013, 22:09
was out at the 50m mark sunday off port waikato and a bronzy swims past
at least 3m long, then a tug on the anchour line as the bugger nicked my
big bag of burley...

as for the dumb ass cop... stupid... :brick:

Disco Dan
27th February 2013, 22:26
True and not true. If you watch the whole episode, you'll see that slower, lighter bullets, and especially subsonic bullets, manage significant penetration into water. So a handgun has a much better chance than a large rifle.

Interesting article on the whole hunting sharks to extinction thing, which is real problem: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/11/AR2010121100223.html

Go read a science book FFS. Water is NOT compressible....

Brett
27th February 2013, 23:02
Sucks for the guy and his family, but shark attacks are rare and we do them a HELL of a lot more damage than they do us. Imagine if a shark could come and hunt a human for everyone of them that we kill for their fins, or just killed for sport fishing fun (ignoring our destruction of their environment). People should get more wound up about drunk drivers or falling from a height than by a fear of sharks, it would be a little more appropriate.

Edbear
28th February 2013, 06:36
From the news it seems the cop had a Bushmaster and may have hit the shark four times but despite that they still had to beat it off with a paddle. It would have been on or very near the surface so no issues for the rifle.

Amazed at the number of wild assumptions that come along on here... But of course I shouldn't be by now.

willytheekid
28th February 2013, 06:56
.....Water is NOT compressible!

True dat!...learnt that lesson years ago, with an old dirt bike and a river crossing gone wrong ( hydrostatic lock:facepalm:....I think its called that?:confused:...dunno...but it sure does fuck conrods!:()

Edbear
28th February 2013, 06:59
True dat!...learnt that lesson years ago, with an old dirt bike and a river crossing gone wrong ( hydrostatic lock:facepalm:....I think its called that?:confused:...dunno...but it sure does fuck conrods!:()

Water injection raises compression but you can have too much of a good thing... :pinch:

Swoop
28th February 2013, 07:12
The stories are quite conflicting.
I see that they are now saying it was an M4 being used. I wonder where they got that from so quickly?

The Navy used to use L1A1's as shark rifles (7.62mm) locked on the bridge bulkhead of the patrol boats. I guess they only have 5.56's now.

sugilite
28th February 2013, 07:25
That is shocking....I don't think I have ever heard of a someone being killed by a shark at any NZ beach before.
The last death was recorded in 1976. He "was" in the tent next door to ours at a camp ground the night before the attack. I remember the police collecting his tent the next day and the mega shark hunt the next day. He was out spear fishing and had being tying the fish to his waist. Was a Tiger shark that got him as I remember.

Madness
28th February 2013, 07:36
I wonder where they got that from so quickly?

Henderson Police Station presumably, if not the boot of a sergeants car. They've got hundreds of 'em.

SMOKEU
28th February 2013, 08:26
Water is NOT compressible....

Yes it is. Do some research and you'll find that water is slightly compressible, not enough to make any real difference, but it's not an incompressible fluid.

BoristheBiter
28th February 2013, 08:52
Yes it is. Do some research and you'll find that water is slightly compressible, not enough to make any real difference, but it's not an incompressible fluid.

and it definitely is in it's gas form.

george formby
28th February 2013, 09:17
Poor swimmer & poor shark. Both in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Our coastal waters are seething with sharks. I've spent a lot of time on & in the water & their is always a shark or two close by. Here in the BoI's we have resident bronzies cruising off the beach, occasionally they nudge a swimmer out of curiosity. A juvenile great white was caught in a flounder net in the Ngunguru estuary. Great frights follow seals on to the west coast at certain times of year, some will be pushing 25 ft... and at this time of year large schools of ocean going kahawai follow anchovies close to shore with kingies & sharks behind them. You can see the bronzies feeding in the waves up north, Karikari & Tokerau, in waist deep water. The Mangonui fish shop used to entertain tourists by feeding bronzies from the back of the shop until somebody put the hard word on them.
I landed a 9kg kingfish head in Doubtless Bay, nipped off clean as a whistle behind the gills & similarly pulled up a 17kg hapuka head on a dan line over the Pandoro bank on the west coast, the bite was almost straight.

I've been an avid spearo for years & the worst that ever happened was being dragged backwards through the water when a shark took the fish off my float line. Never saw it, though. A spearo did nail an aggressive bronzie at Cape Brett a couple of years ago, a good, solid 15 footer. The shark had been following him about happily enough but started buzzing him & went into hunting mode so he decided him or me. Fair enough, I would too.
Bronzies are regarded as man eaters in South Africa.

Somebody said that the ocean is the last place on the planet where man is still prey.

HenryDorsetCase
28th February 2013, 10:40

source please.

and I think the caveat we are dealing with is "For practical purposes"

Swoop
28th February 2013, 12:04
Henderson Police Station presumably, if not the boot of a sergeants car.
Hmm. Too long from HSN I feel. Going to guess that the local officer has one in his car at all times.
Doubt Eagle landed with it.

HenryDorsetCase
28th February 2013, 12:10
Hmm. Too long from HSN I feel. Going to guess that the local officer has one in his car at all times.

thats why this country should have replaced the skyhawks with attack helicopters. Ground support and fish chasing. Let the Yanks with the proper air forces do the fast jet thing. Or use F35 for Bear Patrol (Simpsons last night)

jellywrestler
28th February 2013, 13:19

dolphins are just gay sharks

Maha
28th February 2013, 13:28

...on occasion, pepper spray is just not the correct deterrent.

YellowDog
28th February 2013, 16:17
Are LARGE people who have a water retention problem BULLET PROOF ?

scumdog
28th February 2013, 16:50
If it is possible to hear a shark laugh, you would have heard it today :yes:

Only if it was more than 300-400mm below the surface when being shot at - or the shots wer not from fairly well directly above.....

Banditbandit
1st March 2013, 13:52
You know .. Our ancestors had very good reason for leaving the water several million years ago .. it's dangerous out there .. why do some people now think it is a good idea to go back out there ????

ellipsis
1st March 2013, 18:48
...the unemployable should be made to wade around in the tide being observant and poking things that move with a pointy stick...

YellowDog
2nd March 2013, 10:39
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10868716&ref=rss

The source said that when the officer got to Muriwai, he was told to do what he had to do to get Mr Strange back to his family, who were on their way to the beach.

"Kill it if you have to ... for the family's sake. Getting the body back is part of the grieving process, it allowed them to be able to see him and not have thoughts in their minds forever about where he ended up. "

"When the cop was firing at the shark, at one stage it reared up out of the water at him ...

"While it was out of the water for those few seconds, the cop was able to put a couple of rounds into the back of its head. Then finally, it let go.

It stopped, rolled over onto its back and drifted off. It didn't swim. We are pretty sure it was killed."

Usarka
2nd March 2013, 11:31
Of course it was the same shark that attacked him. No other sharks at Muriwai.

Even though eye witnesses saw a pack of sharks.

Swoop
2nd March 2013, 12:46
...the unemployable should be made to wade around in the tide...
Aha! Finally a use for the green party!
Since they are "communing with nature" they will not have any issues about doing this. Right?

YellowDog
2nd March 2013, 15:39
Shark Fin Soup anyone?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21629173

scumdog
2nd March 2013, 18:05
Of course it was the same shark that attacked him. No other sharks at Muriwai.

Even though eye witnesses saw a pack of sharks.

"finally it let go" was part of the report - so I guess the shark that was shot was hanging onto something - and I doubt it was a beach-ball...

YellowDog
2nd March 2013, 19:19
"finally it let go" was part of the report - so I guess the shark that was shot was hanging onto something - and I doubt it was a beach-ball...

When you are that close to a beach, you shouldn't really ever rule out the possibility that it could have been a beach ball (a red one) :no:

scumdog
2nd March 2013, 19:51
When you are that close to a beach, you shouldn't really ever rule out the possibility that it could have been a beach ball (a red one) :no:

Well they would have got it back - and that's what counts eh......

YellowDog
2nd March 2013, 22:04
I do feel sorry for the poor bugger that died and his family/friends. Getting ripped to shreds in the water is not generally on your daily 'take care to avoid' list. Makes Tar Snakes and morons reversing out of blind drives seem pretty damn trivial.

JimO
3rd March 2013, 07:25

St Clair beach at Dunedin is a shark hunting ground......http://www.yosurfer.com/content/oceans_and_environment/shark_attack_file/all/new_zealand/n/10

Berries
3rd March 2013, 08:15
St Clair beach at Dunedin is a shark hunting ground......http://www.yosurfer.com/content/oceans_and_environment/shark_attack_file/all/new_zealand/n/10
You want to go and put your feet in the water near Wellers Rock, there's been a few big ones lately.

scumdog
3rd March 2013, 10:45
You want to go and put your feet in the water near Wellers Rock, there's been a few big ones lately.

Sea must be quite warm down here - I've been told kingfish have been spotted off the heads.

Berries
3rd March 2013, 22:25
Sea must be quite warm down here....
Was within touching distance of a 10’ seven gilled shark a few weeks back in the harbour. While not known as a killer here he was big enough that I was fairly impressed. And he wasn't here for the Speights tour either, fish had been jumping out of the water just prior, I assumed they were the salmon that all the predators have been after like the big pod of dolphins we had at Christmas.

So there’s me thinking I have a good yarn and one of the first people I tell it to is a fisherman who had recently been eye to eye with a great white further in the harbour near the port. Talk about pissing on my chips.

YellowDog
3rd March 2013, 22:32
Shark & Chips is very common on England's South coast.

Berries
3rd March 2013, 22:43
So is chlamydia.

DAMHIK.

scissorhands
21st March 2013, 07:12
Single rogue sharks may be responsible for multiple attacks on humans.

Cluster attacks [within 1-2yr periods] at locations like Oreti Beack Invercagill, St Kilda/St Clair Dunedin, Margaret River/Perth coast, that beach in South Africa that lost 3 peps in a year.... all indicate a reasonable possibility of a single rogue shark being the culprit

A process [prolly with choppers and guns or grenades] needs to be put in place to identify and hunt within minutes of an attack

Good surf this morning at Muriwai, and no one out

http://www.surf2surf.com/reports/camera.php?id=151&t=1363805694