PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please: Possible rebuild

baffa
27th February 2013, 17:21
Hey all, my blade has chewed through its 3rd cam chain tensioner in a year, so its become pretty obvious the chain is stretched.

Its a 97 cbr900rr with 125km on the clock. High mileage sure, but the plan is to slowly do it up, I have no intention of selling it.
Already had rear suspension rebuilt, various bits replaced and updated, and a paint job. A new or updated engine was always on the cards, but it seems this might be a good time to consider it.

I know the engines are almost bulletproof, but Im interested in rebuilding the motor, new rings, bearings, and possibly even pistons, basically a freshen up, along with a new cam chain. I want this puppy to last another 100 thou.

Has anyone got any suggestions on sources for parts, and the best people to approach about a rebuild?
Ive spoken briefly to Honda, and George, but I want to explore my options.

Ideally ID like to find a second hand motor in decent nick and have that rebuilt then transplant, but for some reason noone seems to wreck these bikes, second hand parts are pretty rare.

Im guessing sourcing all the parts from Honda online would be the best bit, but I dont want to tackle such a huge job myself.

baffa
28th February 2013, 14:16
I would have thought thered be a fair chunk of people out there qualified and interested in doing rebuilds.

Id love to give it a go myself, but id rather try rebuild some pos single thumper before trying to fix a complicated bike that serves as my daily.