PDA

View Full Version : Choke stuck on

Dragon
1st March 2013, 08:39
So went to start the bike this morning and the choke has stuck on

I tried to unhook it but no use

Bike bogs down when im riding and revs up at the lights :(

How do I adjust it back to normal?

Im going to pull the fairing off at lunch to try get into it so any tips would be great?

jellywrestler
1st March 2013, 08:46
you failed to mention what sort of choke mechanism you have, ie is it a knob on the dash or carb mounted

Dragon
1st March 2013, 08:49
Its a leaver on the right hand side of the left handle bar

Has a cable running down to the carb

It has a screw to lock and a part to turn with a 6mm spanner

I unhooked it this morning but its still stuck on

I thought if I loosened the cable it would come off but it doesnt :s

Its setup so that if I use the throttle then the choke deactivates

jellywrestler
1st March 2013, 08:57
you need to feed oil down the cable either a drip or two at a time and working the cable at the same time so it finds it's way down the length or a tool that allows you to force it in, either wayt he whole cable is lacking lube

Dragon
1st March 2013, 09:02
ok cheers looks like I need to go get some crc or something :s will go to repco later

jellywrestler
1st March 2013, 09:05
ok cheers looks like I need to go get some crc or something :s will go to repco later

and some fucking glasses, i said OIL

Dragon
1st March 2013, 09:06
and some fucking glasses, i said OIL

I would have thought any kind of lubericant (spelling?) would work

Would chain oil work? (as in a can of chain lube/oil)

jellywrestler
1st March 2013, 09:09
I would have thought any kind of lubericant (spelling?) would work

Would chain oil work? (as in a can of chain lube/oil)

if you'd thought that then why did you bother coming on here and asking????

chain lube is way to thick and designed to stick to a chain that's trying to flick it off at a hundred miles and hour besides you'll never actually get it in there
the lighter weight oil the betterer like sewing machine oil, CRC will last about five minutes then it also has the habit of attracting shit that is often going to work the opposite way and seize it up again

slofox
1st March 2013, 10:59
lubericant (spelling?) )

Just lose the "e". Lubricant. You're welcome. :sunny:

Dragon
1st March 2013, 12:20
managed to pull the cable off and its pretty much rooted

Have ordered a new one via wellington motorcycles and booked it in for fitting tuesday however I may end up doing it myself as it arrives monday will see how I feel considering I pulled it off ok myself

Plus im feeling cheap and not really that keen to pay for an hour of labour

Also paying retail for the part :s because I want it

Will see what happens monday after Ive had the weekend to think about it

Akzle
1st March 2013, 12:38
managed to pull the cable off and its pretty much rooted

Have ordered a new one via wellington motorcycles and booked it in for fitting tuesday however I may end up doing it myself as it arrives monday will see how I feel considering I pulled it off ok myself

Plus im feeling cheap and not really that keen to pay for an hour of labour

Also paying retail for the part :s because I want it

Will see what happens monday after Ive had the weekend to think about it

are you sure you're up to this? do you need a lie down? maybe some tea?

at any rate, make sure you CRC the new cable before you put it on

:facepalm:

Paul in NZ
1st March 2013, 12:58

No - DON"T use CRC. Its mostly kerosine and evaporates leaving a mess. Light oil like sewing machine / 3 in 1 etc is the go.

Dragon
1st March 2013, 13:26

lol Yeah I have a bottle of sewing machine oil in my underseat tool kit now

Its been a hectic day, I really need a beer almost missed an important meeting this morning so been stressed to the max

Ive built a few cars Im sure if I managed to pull the cable out myself I can put it back in myself

jellywrestler
1st March 2013, 13:29
the lighter weight oil the betterer like sewing machine oil, CRC will last about five minutes then it also has the habit of attracting shit that is often going to work the opposite way and seize it up again

No - DON"T use CRC. Its mostly kerosine and evaporates leaving a mess. Light oil like sewing machine / 3 in 1 etc is the go.

see a pattern emerging here?

Dragon
1st March 2013, 13:33
see a pattern emerging here?

POINT MADE

I won't use CRC sorry for thinking I know everything when I clearly don't

Can we please move on, thank you for the help :) the reason I asked was because I wasn't 100% sure I thought CRC would be a good alternative to oil as I didnt have anything readilly on hand

jellywrestler
1st March 2013, 13:42
POINT MADE

I won't use CRC sorry for thinking I know everything when I clearly don't

Can we please move on, thank you for the help :) the reason I asked was because I wasn't 100% sure I thought CRC would be a good alternative to oil as I didnt have anything readilly on hand

no worries, dont forget now's a good time to lube all your cables as they've all been on the bike the same time and if ones dead the others will want a service

ducatilover
1st March 2013, 13:52
Jesus titty fucking... KB is really such a friendly place.

If you got the cable off, you'll be sweet putting it back on, not a job I'd want to pay somebody else to do ;)

For what it's worth, I've never had a cable failure, mine get a wee clean out and then some chain lube every few months. My VT had all the original cables and I did 130,000km on it myself. :2thumbsup

Dragon
1st March 2013, 14:24
Jesus titty fucking... KB is really such a friendly place.

If you got the cable off, you'll be sweet putting it back on, not a job I'd want to pay somebody else to do ;)

For what it's worth, I've never had a cable failure, mine get a wee clean out and then some chain lube every few months. My VT had all the original cables and I did 130,000km on it myself. :2thumbsup

Yeah I emailed and canceled my workshop booking just thought about it and I could do it myself no issue

I'm an EFI man havent had much to do with carbs but Im sure I can work it out

Ill go over the other cables to already had the throttle stick on the other week but managed to lube that with some chain lube

FJRider
1st March 2013, 15:41
Yeah I emailed and canceled my workshop booking just thought about it and I could do it myself no issue

I'm an EFI man havent had much to do with carbs but Im sure I can work it out

Ill go over the other cables to already had the throttle stick on the other week but managed to lube that with some chain lube

In the summer heat of Welly town ... you shouldn't need a choke.

If its only the inner cable that's rooted ... get an inner made up for it.

Akzle
1st March 2013, 15:56

what, you new to the thread? or was the facetiousness over your head?

FWIW i use 10/30w or similar. whatever i have on hand that isn't gearbox oil, really.

get a plastic bag, pointy half of a milk jug and a few cable ties. poke the end of the cable through the corner of the bag (outer and all), and cable tie it 3 or 4 times, tight. pull the whole lot through the half milk bottle, spread the bag out and fill it with oil.
hang it up overnight. in the morning the oil should be dripping out the bottom end.
you can sit there and wank the cable inner, depending on how long it is and how shitty it is, you might get it done in a half hour.
tip the oil onto a cat, remove bag and cable ties etc, get some ep2/chassis grease and dab each end of the cable to seal the guts of it. (not sure how long this lasts or how well it works, but it's what I do.)

then fit. if you were clever you remember where you pulled it off. if not: good luck.

Banditbandit
4th March 2013, 08:20
tip the oil onto a cat ...

What's with the cat ??? I'd definitely use CRC on the cat - easier to clean than oil ...

ducatilover
4th March 2013, 10:44
In the summer heat of Welly town ... you shouldn't need a choke.

If its only the inner cable that's rooted ... get an inner made up for it.

Small bikes often need some choke to keep idling on cold start, even in "warm" weather. Or bikes with silly cams, my 600 isn't a fan of cold idle even with it a little on the rich side because it has silly cams.