PDA

View Full Version : Quality build

superjackal
1st March 2013, 18:10
Hi

Stuck wallowing around cheap bikes while still learning and on my restricted. It seems a lot of the learner/LAMs bikes aren't so good quality-wise. My GN needs REGULAR attention to ward off tin worm. I realise GNs were built to a price. And then built in China.

My question is related to a longer term keeper. I'm still new to bikes but I want to buy new in a couple of years. I tend to hoard everything so the new bike will be a long-term keeper - if not go to the grave with me. Call me a romantic but I love stories about long-term vehicle ownership - bike or car. So, which bikes are made from high quality materials and to high standards? Which ones aren't rust buckets within 5 years?

Cheers
GNJ

bogan
1st March 2013, 18:16
Hondas

Or pretty much any other bike if properly maintained.

FJRider
1st March 2013, 18:25
My GN needs REGULAR attention to ward off tin worm. I realise GNs were built to a price. And then built in China.

And ...how old/how many km's ... when YOU bought it .. ???

Only the Chinese built ones really had (longevity) issues. There are plenty of Japan built models still going strong (for a GN anyway) now. I bet you bought yours for the price ... not build quality.

If your bike needs regular attention ... perhaps you need to talk to the person that did the pre-purchase check of it first ...

bogan
1st March 2013, 18:56
If your bike needs regular attention ... perhaps you need to talk to the person that did the pre-purchase check of it first ...

If they weren't too good on the pre-purchase inspection, are you sure they are the best bet to do the servicing?

FJRider
1st March 2013, 19:05
If they weren't too good on the pre-purchase inspection, are you sure they are the best bet to do the servicing?

And ... after a succession of "not the best to do the servicing" type owners as well .... probably not.

And the LAM's class is generally regarded as the "over 250cc" bikes. And probably better choices (than a GN) there than the OP might think.

AllanB
1st March 2013, 19:06
Hondas.

In reality a lot of it is how you look after them. I owned a 1983 Kawasaki for 23 and looked after it - it was a minter when sold. Probably looks like shit now .....

My GS1200ss looked better at 15,000kms than new......

My Hornet 900 I purchased new in 07 is a minter now.

Clean, polish, crc/WD40 etc and they survive well. Winter use will take it's toll but a good coating of something like WD40/silicone on the metal will ward off the worst of nature and it washes off with a mild degreeser when you want to clean it up.

tigertim20
1st March 2013, 19:38
Largely its going to come down to treatment. regular cleaning and polish etc not only wards off rust, but regular attention to cleaning means regular attention to close up details, like the first signs of rust on a chain etc etc.

A very basic search on here will show you which manufacturers, through which years, have a great reputation for longevity and quality, its a topic that has been discussed multiple times.

You also need to consider where you live too, the same bike parked outside in St Kilda, Dunedin, or in a shed in Alexandra will have a very different result in 5, 10 and 15 years time.

If you're a really smooth cunt like me, you tell the missus 'I'll clean the lounge for you babe' so you can make space to keep your bike in the climate controlled living room.

FJRider
1st March 2013, 21:07
If you're a really smooth cunt like me, you tell the missus ' ...

so you live alone then ... :laugh:

tigertim20
2nd March 2013, 09:12
so you live alone then ... :laugh:

nope, married!

Wingnut
2nd March 2013, 12:46
Hi
Which ones aren't rust buckets within 5 years?

What???? Ummm Pretty much most popular brand Jap bikes are fine if they have been looked after and serviced throughout their life. Shit man I have a 1972 Honda amongst others in the garage. Starts by the third kick every time, runs well, not rusting to bits and it is 40 years old.

superjackal
5th March 2013, 10:22
And ...how old/how many km's ... when YOU bought it .. ???

Only the Chinese built ones really had (longevity) issues. There are plenty of Japan built models still going strong (for a GN anyway) now. I bet you bought yours for the price ... not build quality.

I didn’t even know there were Chinese built versions when I bought my GN and I paid bang on market value at the time. I liked the bike and bought on condition. I’m pretty fastidious when it comes to cleaning and maintenance with cars and now bikes. I live near the sea so I keep a close eye on corrosion which seems to pop up very regularly on the GN – forks, exhaust, bolts, misc… I certainly care for it better than the previous owner.

I bought it with 16,000kms on the clock and put another 7000 on it. I’ve kept it honest. The odometer cable seems to pop out on a regular basis which I think accounts for a lot of the “low mileage” GNs out there… and I’ve had it serviced twice in 12 months. Everything works on it, included the gear selector bulbs and it’s in better condition than when I bought it.

If I had a bit more spare cash I’d happily keep it and slowly replace the corroded, scratched and worn parts. It’s light weight, not very powerful and would be a perfect bike for my wife to learn on.

From what I can tell there isn’t much difference in quality between the Japanese and Chinese bikes, more snob-value. ALL of the Japanese bikes I’ve seen on the street are in a sorry state. It comes down to the owner.

FJRider
5th March 2013, 15:23
From what I can tell there isn’t much difference in quality between the Japanese and Chinese bikes, more snob-value. ALL of the Japanese bikes I’ve seen on the street are in a sorry state. It comes down to the owner.

Considering the first ones came out in the early eighties ... (the first ones had drum brakes on the front) and were the learner bike most chose. Any that have survived 30 years of abuse from their successive learner owners ... probably wont look that great. And did well to last this long.

Chinese chrome, and build quality ... haven't improved much either.

And there will be a few honest low mileage one's around too.

ducatilover
5th March 2013, 15:40
Hondas

Or pretty much any other bike if properly maintained. This.
My '93 CB400 was corrosion free and very well put together.
But, it comes down to regular cleaning and I'm a believer in waxing. I wax the bike too.

There is a fair bit of difference, you're more than welcome to come compare the 25 year old chrome on my GN with a newer one, it's in better nick than my '04 GN was when I sold it with 10,000km on it
But, keep it sparkly clean, it's road grime and sea spray that destroy the chrome on these, especially the fork stanchions

superjackal
7th March 2013, 09:18
This.
My '93 CB400 was corrosion free and very well put together.
But, it comes down to regular cleaning and I'm a believer in waxing. I wax the bike too.

There is a fair bit of difference, you're more than welcome to come compare the 25 year old chrome on my GN with a newer one, it's in better nick than my '04 GN was when I sold it with 10,000km on it
But, keep it sparkly clean, it's road grime and sea spray that destroy the chrome on these, especially the fork stanchions

The Chinese are getting better all the time and given the wealth and resources they have (I'm going to go out on a limb here for the hell of it) they will eventually surpass everyone else or at least be as good, and cheaper. The Japanese after WWII and into the late fifties were renowned for poor quality but they learned fast.

So, 20 years time, cheaper, better-made Chinese bikes. We'll all be driving them. And they'll fly. To the moon. Which will be our launch pad for our holiday homes on Mars. Which we won't visit because we'll be too busy re-living our early lives in virtual reality video games.

ducatilover
7th March 2013, 09:40
I do agree with you on that.
I've had many nicely made Chinese goods.

They have all the knowledge and skill, and certainly the equipment to build anything to a high standard, the main reason many Chinese products are poo is solely economic reasons.