PDA

View Full Version : A right royal shafting

jim.cox
3rd March 2013, 09:47
A right royal shafting - and not by Her Majesty on a Moto Guzzi

Got asked to hang around for a moment after work on Friday - and then got handed a letter

Yes, yet again I've been awarded the dreaded DCM (Dont Come Monday)

Apparently the firm I work for is being restructured - parts being sold - and I'm to be one of the casualties

After eleven years in the same position, and with two young teenage kids, and the wrong side of fifty, its kind of scary being made redundant

Fortunately there seem to be a few openings around for an geeky surveyor with IT and GIS experience who is prepared to relocate - Perth anyone?

Or maybe I should just retire...

BMWST?
3rd March 2013, 09:58
sorry to hear that.Not a nice feeling is it.

MSTRS
3rd March 2013, 09:59
Bugger. I sort of know how you feel.
You'd be amazed at the number of openings there are for someone with xyz talents. Until you start applying for those positions.
Perth is a mecca, but it's not all tea and skittles there, either.

Edbear
3rd March 2013, 10:10
Bugger. I sort of know how you feel.
You'd be amazed at the number of openings there are for someone with xyz talents. Until you start applying for those positions.
Perth is a mecca, but it's not all tea and skittles there, either.

Agreed, especially when you find out how many others are in the same position, looking for the same jobs. It's a case of who you know these days.

My niece and family moved to Perth for work as he was offered a good job there, but they have found it's not paradise. They are keen to come home as soon as possible.

Bald Eagle
3rd March 2013, 11:13
Yep bit of that going around. Redundant Friday but luckily start new job Monday so only 2 days as an unemployed bum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Oakie
3rd March 2013, 13:45
Come to Christchurch.

Kickaha
3rd March 2013, 13:59
Come to Christchurch.

He already is in Chch (or used to be at least)

Oakie
3rd March 2013, 15:20
He already is in Chch (or used to be at least)

Bugger!

10 chars

BMWST?
3rd March 2013, 15:33
Yep bit of that going around. Redundant Friday but luckily start new job Monday so only 2 days as an unemployed bum.

really..was it a restructure sort of thing?so same desk different title?

Ocean1
3rd March 2013, 15:51
Come to Christchurch.

It's not always a lack of work that drives it. In this case I wonder how much restructuring is being caused by Mainzeal contracts being taken over by new entities, with existing or at least different supply lines. Jim'll know the industry, but I'd suggest a few phone calls amongst the opposition might unearth something.

I often wonder, when you hear of professionals being made redundant whether some sort of organised marketing shell would be able to find work for them. I know of so many that have fallen out of large corporations and with a great deal of trepidation hung their own slate. Most of them have done well, well enough to decline subsequent full time corporate jobs. If there were an existing multi-disciplinary office they could work with, providing admin and marketing services, whether that transition might not work better. Who knows, such an entity might eventually become a co-op, and a major player across multiple disciplines.

Delerium
3rd March 2013, 16:13
It's not always a lack of work that drives it. In this case I wonder how much restructuring is being caused by Mainzeal contracts being taken over by new entities, with existing or at least different supply lines. Jim'll know the industry, but I'd suggest a few phone calls amongst the opposition might unearth something.

I often wonder, when you hear of professionals being made redundant whether some sort of organised marketing shell would be able to find work for them. I know of so many that have fallen out of large corporations and with a great deal of trepidation hung their own slate. Most of them have done well, well enough to decline subsequent full time corporate jobs. If there were an existing multi-disciplinary office they could work with, providing admin and marketing services, whether that transition might not work better. Who knows, such an entity might eventually become a co-op, and a major player across multiple disciplines.

Fletchers is picking up a lot of the mainzeal work (I was in their IT dept). I suspect a lot of the subbies will go under.

JATZ
3rd March 2013, 17:46

Been test riding anything ? :whistle:

Sent from my chair..... Using a tiny screen :D

Brian d marge
3rd March 2013, 21:20
Reduce the debt as much as possible and start becoming a hippie ( self sufficient ) any work that appears is a bonus .

my view on things

or Perth for a year or two until the debt is zero

Stephen

ps hope it goes well

Berries
3rd March 2013, 22:41
Fortunately there seem to be a few openings around for an geeky surveyor with IT and GIS experience who is prepared to relocate - Perth anyone?
There is still quite a bit of work in Queensland for surveyors on the roads and it is a bit closer than Perth. Google TNRP if you like big brown snakes.

jim.cox
4th March 2013, 07:48
Thankx for the kind thoughts guys.

Actually I'm not really too concerned about the layoff. While we dont have much financial reserve, we are not carrying any debt. So long as I can keep the kids cost expectations down we will cope. I'm pretty good at living very frugally, and if I'm not putting much money out I dont need much coming in

I'm only half joking about retiring - I always promised myself I'd learn to fly fish - maybe now's the time to start.

Also in recent years I've also been feeling stuck flying a desk. Like that old surveyor in a cartoon returning to fieldwork, even just as a rodman appeals.

Unfortuantely I does look like I cant afford the fuel to take the Ducati to Milford at Easter as planned :(

MIXONE
4th March 2013, 08:26
I feel your pain mate.I was made redundant a month or so ago and there isn't a lot of work out there.If the kids weren't so settled in school we would be off to Oz.

Banditbandit
4th March 2013, 08:43
Bugga ... hope it works out for you in the end ...

Grashopper
4th March 2013, 08:48
You can always have a bit of a break and see how you like the retirement (and if the money is enough) and maybe after a few month start looking for jobs again if you need to. I don't think it should be a problem for someone with GIS skills and experience to find a job. (I hope...)