PDA

View Full Version : Never a cop around when you need one

Paul in NZ
11th March 2013, 08:13
Sometimes there are four....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8406938/Heroic-group-effort-to-save-boy-from-drowning

Strange wee story but its one dangerous beach and good on all those folks that made a certain drowning a happy outcome...

Oddly - in a few years he will probably be throwing bottles at them....

Akzle
11th March 2013, 08:36
fucken dumbass.

FFS teach your kids not to fight the ocean, swim across rips, not against them. wouldn't have been a story if he'd swum out behind the breakers...

Paul in NZ
11th March 2013, 08:38
fucken dumbass.

FFS teach your kids not to fight the ocean, swim across rips, not against them. wouldn't have been a story if he'd swum out behind the breakers...

Jesus - have you ever even been to that beach? The rip? Its the undertow thats the killer due to the changes from the napier earthquake hence the human chain required to pull him out of the surf. Its not a normal surf beach

Crasherfromwayback
11th March 2013, 08:50
Jesus - have you ever even been to that beach? The rip? Its the undertow thats the killer due to the changes from the napier earthquake hence the human chain required to pull him out of the surf. Its not a normal surf beach

Yeah it's hell nasty.

willytheekid
11th March 2013, 09:00
Just read that!

Damn fine effort from all involved :niceone:
A strong undertow combined with a rip is bloody dangerous!...throw in some large surf as well!:(...kids lucky to still be with us...as is the German tourist and the two popo that jumped in to save him :yes: (In those conditions...even a seasoned swimmer wouldn't last long!)

I think Its bloody great to see the popo & community working together to save a life, and to help each other in the process...would be a much better country if this was the norm!

...So glad those parents got there kid back :love:

Zedder
11th March 2013, 10:34
Just read that!

A strong undertow combined with a rip is bloody dangerous!...throw in some large surf as well!:(...kids lucky to still be with us...as is the German tourist and the two popo that jumped in to save him :yes: (In those conditions...even a seasoned swimmer wouldn't last long!)

I think Its bloody great to see the popo & community working together to save a life, and to help each other in the process...would be a much better country if this was the norm!

Good one Wtk. Hopefully that boy learned a few social lessons apart from safe swimming practices.

Akzle
11th March 2013, 10:59
Jesus - have you ever even been to that beach?

no, i haven't.

but if it's so farken dangerous why are kids playing there out of reach of their parents?

duckonin
11th March 2013, 11:14
Just read that!

Why not 'community working together ' ? You make your post sound like 'cops' are bloody Gods, they are far from that !

Zedder
11th March 2013, 11:34
but if it's so farken dangerous why are kids playing there out of reach of their parents?

Maybe they read one of your posts and it really fucked them up for a short time.

Zedder
11th March 2013, 11:38
Why not 'community working together ' ? You make your post sound like 'cops' are bloody Gods, they are far from that !

It certainly read the cops motto of being "Safer communities together" to me and not that cops were "Gods".

Paul in NZ
11th March 2013, 11:53
no, i haven't.

He was 12 its an awkward age and yes - there are signs warning you NOT to go near the ocean when its rough. It IS that farking dangerous...

Yes - he was careless but this thread isnt about that...

willytheekid
11th March 2013, 13:56

...GODS???:weird:
http://www.deadfresh.co.uk/imaginary-friend-tshirt.jpg
:D

red mermaid
11th March 2013, 18:20
Yes we are, Buddha is my name and image.

yungatart
11th March 2013, 18:30
That beach has claimed many lives in the 20 odd years that we have lived in Napier. It is particularly dangerous in an Easterly weather pattern, which we have had a lot of lately. You can be 3 or 4 metres from the water's edge one minute and dragged out fighting for your life the next.
Great work from those involved, they surely averted a tragedy.

Woodman
11th March 2013, 18:37
yup the outgoing waves suck you into a big troff/troth hole then the big incoming wave smashes on top of you, rinse and repeat.

Good on them all.

Banditbandit
12th March 2013, 07:59

Zen saying: If you meet the Buddha on the road - KILL HIM!!!

Zedder
12th March 2013, 08:13

Buddha?

Careful there, if the karma is wrong, you'll come back as a........red mermaid for example.

cynna
12th March 2013, 11:14
fucken dumbass.

true - i got stuck in a rip once and thought i was a goner. used all my energy trying to fight it then remembered from school about swimming across. think thats a more important lesson then the stupid eathquake ones

wingnutt
12th March 2013, 13:38
yeh they did well to get the kid out, its an ongoing problem on the parade, people missread the sea, and
get themselves in the shit there.

a few years ago, I was up there and there was storm water running I mean it was breaking 5 out, and the wash was coming way up
the beach Incredibly I saw a bloke who was letting his 2 kids paddle in the backwash, while he leant against his car watching. If one kid
had fallen he would not have got there in time

A freind of mine walked over, and explained that a kiddie had lost its life just recently, in the same sort of water, and suggested it was too
dangerous to let his kids paddle in it.

he got told to fuck off and mind his own business. There is no accounting for stupid I'm afraid

Banditbandit
13th March 2013, 11:53
a few years ago, I was up there and there was storm water running I mean it was breaking 5 out, and the wash was coming way up
the beach Incredibly I saw a bloke who was letting his 2 kids paddle in the backwash, while he leant against his car watching. If one kid
had fallen he would not have got there in time

A freind of mine walked over, and explained that a kiddie had lost its life just recently, in the same sort of water, and suggested it was too
dangerous to let his kids paddle in it.

he got told to fuck off and mind his own business. There is no accounting for stupid I'm afraid

Maybe he was just sick of his kids and was hoping they'd get washed away ..