PDA

View Full Version : Shoei GT Air - avoid

Nat
11th March 2013, 19:46
I recently replaced my much loved Shoei XR-1000 that had reached an untimely end of life through a crash. I chose the Shoei GT air as a replacement because I thought the flip down sun shade was pretty choice and the fit was much the same as my old helmet.

Good points:
Fits very well and is very comfy
Has a sun shade

Bad points:
This helmet doesn't block enough wind noise. Basically ear plugs are mandatory if you plan on going more than about 70 or 80.
Helmet makes a high pitch whistling noise at almost any speed above 40 kph
Visor fogs up incredibly easily if the pin lock isn't installed.
Sun shade isn't as good as a tinted visor or as good as sunnies.

In conclusion, if you want a new Shoei like I do, don't get this one. I love the sun visor, and the fit and comfort, but the noise is terrible. And a tip for new players - if you put a pin lock in your visor, be prepared for compromised peripheral vision and dangerously poor night vision.

Ps I ride two bikes, one is naked, one is fully faired, the noise cancellation and whistling is equally bad on each bike...

skippa1
11th March 2013, 19:53
cheers man.....I was looking at one the other day and wondered what they were like. I must say my XR1000 was the best helmet I have had for a while, I wrote mine off too

cc rider
11th March 2013, 20:25
Thanks for feed back Nat. We haven't got them in-store over here yet. Will be interesting to see how they are received.
I've not had a full-face with internal sun shade so would be good to get opinions on other brands with similar set up.
e.g. Shark, HJC

In a generalized comment... helmets with extra internal features lend themselves to higher noise levels. (based on customer feedback)

I'm rather attached to my XR1000 too.

Danger Dave
11th March 2013, 20:43
Did you try returning it to the shop you got from so they can correctly adjust the visor? Sometimes if they are not quite sitting right it could be causing the noise.

Laava
12th March 2013, 11:00
I have two shoeis with the pinlocks and do a fair bit of night riding with no probs whatsoever. Something doesn,t sound right with your setup

Devil
12th March 2013, 11:29
Yeah doesn't sound right at all to me. Any whistling, especially low speed must be a visor issue.

steve_t
12th March 2013, 11:40
I have a Qwest with a pinlock insert in both the dark smoke and clear visors and wouldn't be without them. I don't think the pinlock affects vision much at all and night vision is no problem whatsoever for the clear visor.
Not sure about the GT Air but the XR1100 had an early batch released where the visor mechanism didn't pull the visor back on to the gasket properly. This caused a loud whistling but minor adjustment sorted that out. Does the GT Air have the mechanism where the visor gets pulled back on to the gasket when fully closed? Fit and comfort being good is great to hear

yod
12th March 2013, 11:48
I have a Qwest with a pinlock insert in both the dark smoke and clear visors and wouldn't be without them. I don't think the pinlock affects vision much at all and night vision is no problem whatsoever for the clear visor.
Not sure about the GT Air but the XR1100 had an early batch released where the visor mechanism didn't pull the visor back on to the gasket properly. This caused a loud whistling but minor adjustment sorted that out. Does the GT Air have the mechanism where the visor gets pulled back on to the gasket when fully closed? Fit and comfort being good is great to hear

Been looking at a Qwest myself, (I'm a fan of the Bloodflow), certainly nice and comfy at the shop, whats the wind noise like?

steve_t
12th March 2013, 11:58
Been looking at a Qwest myself, (I'm a fan of the Bloodflow), certainly nice and comfy at the shop, whats the wind noise like?

Pretty much non-existent!! Quietest helmet ever!! Not quite as well ventilated but it's easy to crack the visor a smidge with the visor lock switch

MIXONE
12th March 2013, 12:04
I've been living with a shark for the last couple of years and am looking to replace it with a shoie.My previous ones were brilliant.

Nat
12th March 2013, 21:09
I have two shoeis with the pinlocks and do a fair bit of night riding with no probs whatsoever. Something doesn,t sound right with your setup

I know, the shop said they'd never heard of anyone with the same night vision problem, but there's even a sticker on the pinlock that says 'day time use only'. Maybe newer models are somehow different? Either way, I experienced halos and stars around bright lights, and a higher propensity to be blinded by on coming headlights and it made my 3 hour cross country night time trip a pain in the butt a couple of weekends ago.

Yeah doesn't sound right at all to me. Any whistling, especially low speed must be a visor issue.

Good idea, I'll check if I can adjust the visor. Will update thread if I can fix the whistling or the wind noise.

placidfemme
13th March 2013, 13:51
My advice is to return to the shop you purchased it from, and the parts staff should be trained on how to adjust the visor to stop this wind noise problem. It is easy to sort out.

Shoei in my opinion are one of the best helmets out there.

nerrrd
13th March 2013, 18:28
I had one of these pencilled in for my next helmet, hope it's just an adjustment issue :(

AllanB
13th March 2013, 18:38
Shoeis don't fit my head.

Arai (ouch!) and HJC's are perfect.

I've never worn a helmet that was quiet - always wear ear plugs. Probably accounts for my hearing loss - too many kms under a helmet.

TheTengTheory
13th March 2013, 22:54
The qwest is my first helmet I bought as a motorcyclist. Haven't actually tried any other helmets but comfort, pinlock vision and fit have all been brilliant in my experience. Wind buffeting is a bit of a problem but that seems to have something to do with my head angle. When the opening of the helmet is flush with the wind direction, it quietens right down. Ventilation is great and i find the option to crack it open a tad with the lever a brilliant idea for when its hot and you're going slow.

Pinlock doesn't affect my vision at all...I can see little halos in oncoming car lights but its not distracting and no difference when I take it off. Maybe your pinlock inserts aren't sitting flush with the visor. Should be nary a gap there.

Comfort just blew me away. I've used it for 4-5hours without removing it. Barely notice it after 10-20minutes.

If it had an inbuilt sun visor I'll say its perfect but I've got a dark smoke visor for daytime use. Just a very slight inconvenience to change it or bringing the clear along for night riding.

Botany Honda
14th March 2013, 09:49
I know, the shop said they'd never heard of anyone with the same night vision problem, but there's even a sticker on the pinlock that says 'day time use only'. Maybe newer models are somehow different? Either way, I experienced halos and stars around bright lights, and a higher propensity to be blinded by on coming headlights and it made my 3 hour cross country night time trip a pain in the butt a couple of weekends ago.

Good idea, I'll check if I can adjust the visor. Will update thread if I can fix the whistling or the wind noise.

There is an adjustment issue with these helmets, contact the shop where you bought it and arrange to have this attended to, the distributor is sending out instructions and a service visor to their dealers to rectify this issue.

Smifffy
14th March 2013, 09:55
There is an adjustment issue with these helmets, contact the shop where you bought it and arrange to have this attended to, the distributor is sending out instructions and a service visor to their dealers to rectify this issue.

That's good news. I've been thinking for a while that my next purchase will be a Qwest.

Devil
14th March 2013, 10:15

Thanks for the input. Good to know :niceone:

raziel1983
14th March 2013, 19:35

I picked up a qwest to replace my Raid II, and to be honest its noisy, No quieter than my old raid which to be fair had the whisper kit attached, Its the wind buffeting right below my ears. Other than noise though its super.

NZsarge
21st March 2013, 21:30

I'd seriously consider the GT Air, that'll be my first helmet to look at when I come to replace the Arai, if its not that it'll be another Arai. I say this about the GT Air because I thought they'd be nearly a grand if not more when I first saw them given the spec level but the plain colours are around the $600 mark I think which I believe is awesome value.

Movistar
23rd March 2013, 11:44
Just ordered mine this morning...great features for a very decent price.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd March 2013, 12:09

there is some clear film on a pinlock which you dont need to remove to install. The difference with the film on and off is quite astonishing. DAMHIK

I'm still rocking a RAID II, and like it. Has the whisper kit. I always use earplugs anyways

raziel1983
23rd March 2013, 15:27
there is some clear film on a pinlock which you dont need to remove to install. The difference with the film on and off is quite astonishing. DAMHIK

I'm still rocking a RAID II, and like it. Has the whisper kit. I always use earplugs anyways

Got the whisper kit on my raid ii, Do you have cauliflower ears yet?? :pinch:

nosebleed
13th April 2013, 08:42
I recently replaced my much loved Shoei XR-1000 that had reached an untimely end of life through a crash. I chose the Shoei GT air as a replacement because I thought the flip down sun shade was pretty choice and the fit was much the same as my old helmet.

Good points:
Fits very well and is very comfy
Has a sun shade

Bad points:
This helmet doesn't block enough wind noise. Basically ear plugs are mandatory if you plan on going more than about 70 or 80.
Helmet makes a high pitch whistling noise at almost any speed above 40 kph

In conclusion, if you want a new Shoei like I do, don't get this one. I love the sun visor, and the fit and comfort, but the noise is terrible. And a tip for new players - if you put a pin lock in your visor, be prepared for compromised peripheral vision and dangerously poor night vision.

Ps I ride two bikes, one is naked, one is fully faired, the noise cancellation and whistling is equally bad on each bike...

How'd you get on with a solution?

I see Hampton Honda are running a special and I'd be keen on taking one off their hands

BMWST?
14th April 2013, 08:41
my raid 2 is quite noisy,i think its actually my screen which causes it.If i cover the joint between the visor and helmet at the bottom horizontal part with my hand that whistling noise(if the wind is about 3 4 head on) goes away.Gonna see if i can snug the visor down a wee bit tighter when you crank the little lever up

davebullet
14th April 2013, 19:56
Shoeis don't fit my head.

Arai (ouch!) and HJC's are perfect.

I've never worn a helmet that was quiet - always wear ear plugs. Probably accounts for my hearing loss - too many kms under a helmet.

I'm the same
Arai and shoei dont fit.

If you are an HJC head, then try a Schuberth - c3. Very similar shape and the chin guard eliminates wind turbulence in the helmet

Mushu
14th April 2013, 20:12
I've not had a full-face with internal sun shade so would be good to get opinions on other brands with similar set up.
e.g. Shark, HJC

I have a LS2 384 iron and have used it for about a year/25000k and find it to be pretty good, reasonably quiet, good internal visor but it does tend to fog pretty easy and does funny things with airflow over 200ks (not that I'd ride that fast on the road:p)

Sent from my XT535 using Tapatalk 2

one-speed
21st April 2013, 17:45
I found this type of helmet great especially this time of year :)

Erelyes
21st April 2013, 20:43
I found the GT Air to be a different fit to the Qwest. GT Air was much 'narrower'. So I wouldn't rule em out just cos you're not a 'Shoei fit'

Coldrider
21st April 2013, 22:09
The GT Air has a narrower opening than previous Shoei helmets (this helps with its quietness apparently), but the skull sizing is suppose to be the same.
I found the GT Air sizing quite tight compared to my current shoei, but OK. I am waiting to try the next size up before buying either, but a GT air it will be, hopefully this week.

Mauddib
28th April 2013, 18:50
I have bought a white shoei GT air and i love it but when you ride with the visor up it can be nosier then any other shoei helmet but when you close it is very quiet, i think where the extra part on top of the helmet where the drop down visor is where the extra noise comes from but i have got use to it now.
With the pinlock on the visor at night its not that bad just make sure you keep the visor clean you you will be fine.

nzspokes
18th September 2013, 06:40
Am intrested in one of these. Noticed on the Shoei vid that it has a ratchet system but here we get D ring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1--lSPbcTgc&feature=player_embedded

JayRacer37
18th September 2013, 10:45
Am intrested in one of these. Noticed on the Shoei vid that it has a ratchet system but here we get D ring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1--lSPbcTgc&feature=player_embedded

Morning - to explain myself prior to the below, I work for the importer (Whites).

Yes, here we have had GT-Air spec'ed with the Double-D system rather than the ratchet. The reason for this is it means every time you are putting on the helmet, you are physically checking and tightening the strap. No doubt there are some advantages to the micro ratchet system in terms of speed, but the Double-D is widely known and very secure.

We do have the Neotec (which is essentially a flip-front GT-Air) that uses the Micro Ratchet - this is the only helmet in the Shoei lineup here that doesn't use Double-D.

Ender EnZed
18th September 2013, 12:23
I've had one for a while and I think it's the best helmet I've had.

I was perfectly happy with my old helmet but this one has 3 features that actually make a noticeable difference. There's a chin guard that can very effectively hold a neck warmer snug in order to have 0% of your skin exposed to the air without having to wear a balaclava. There's a pinlock visor that works much better than any stick-on insert I've tried in the past. And the internal sun visor which is so much more efficient than stopping to put on sunglasses if it's bright or swap out a tinted visor if it gets dark. Plus, being a Shoei it's made in Japan and you know it's about as high quality as you're going to get.

nzspokes
18th September 2013, 17:41
Morning - to explain myself prior to the below, I work for the importer (Whites).

Yes, here we have had GT-Air spec'ed with the Double-D system rather than the ratchet. The reason for this is it means every time you are putting on the helmet, you are physically checking and tightening the strap. No doubt there are some advantages to the micro ratchet system in terms of speed, but the Double-D is widely known and very secure.

We do have the Neotec (which is essentially a flip-front GT-Air) that uses the Micro Ratchet - this is the only helmet in the Shoei lineup here that doesn't use Double-D.

Would the Ratchet not also be secure? Ive been using a ratchet system for a year and I dont know if I would bother with D rings again. Would be a while before I can afford one anyway.

JayRacer37
19th September 2013, 11:45
Would the Ratchet not also be secure? Ive been using a ratchet system for a year and I dont know if I would bother with D rings again. Would be a while before I can afford one anyway.

The ratchet is definitely secure (and being fully metallic is strong) but the greatest positive with Double-D is that every time you put the helmet on you tighten it securely. The ratchet does have some leeway (being multi click rather than the single like the safety buckle style) but can still loosen over time, and as its not part of your normal routine, some people just leave them to go slack. Having double-D negates this and means that you get a good secure strap right under the chin every time.

Fatjim
19th September 2013, 13:10
I've found the double-d does sag after a while as well, ending up as an E or even a double-F if things really go pear shaped.

Morcs
19th September 2013, 16:38
I wouldnt go telling people to avoid a helmet because of 1 bad experience. Different heads fit things differently, and you can have two people who both fit a certain helmet well but given shapes and sizes of people can experience different things with regards to wind noise.

The general feedback from the internet worldwide and from our own customers has been excellent. Only one complaint which i believe might be the OP.

On the GT air, all helmets now come with the visor adjusted, and the manual also stipulates keeping the double visor seal lubricated regularly with the supplied silicone.

As for wind noise, yes there is a fair bit of noise outside of the helmet - of which you get with almost anything unless you happen to be sat behind a large screen without turbulents, but the main plus is the lack of wind noise inside it. All the Arai's i have owned all have air blowing up inside the helmet especially between face and visor, even with a buff on etc.., whereas the Shoei doesnt have this issue - it really is a well sealed unit whilst still being easy to get on and off.

Nat
19th September 2013, 17:15
I wouldnt go telling people to avoid a helmet because of 1 bad experience. Different heads fit things differently, and you can have two people who both fit a certain helmet well but given shapes and sizes of people can experience different things with regards to wind noise.

The general feedback from the internet worldwide and from our own customers has been excellent. Only one complaint which i believe might be the OP.

On the GT air, all helmets now come with the visor adjusted, and the manual also stipulates keeping the double visor seal lubricated regularly with the supplied silicone.

As for wind noise, yes there is a fair bit of noise outside of the helmet - of which you get with almost anything unless you happen to be sat behind a large screen without turbulents, but the main plus is the lack of wind noise inside it. All the Arai's i have owned all have air blowing up inside the helmet especially between face and visor, even with a buff on etc.., whereas the Shoei doesnt have this issue - it really is a well sealed unit whilst still being easy to get on and off.

Meh, like you said, everyone's probably got a different shaped head etc, so up to you if you want to take my advice or not. However, it's a much noisier helmet than my previous shoei, and I now have to go to the trouble of wearing earplugs for every ride, whereas I would previously not bother for say, popping down to the supermarket. Also, to your point about the air inside the helmet, I find that with the sun shade down and the front vent open (ie most likely what I'll do most days in summer) there's plenty of wind blowing directly into my eyes. Not the end of the world, but not ideal on a $700+ helmet.

So if I had to buy a new helmet again now, no way I'd get this one again. Other people can make their own minds up of course, and no doubt plenty of people out there will find it great. Good for them.

Morcs
20th September 2013, 09:14
Meh, like you said, everyone's probably got a different shaped head etc, so up to you if you want to take my advice or not.

Advice not required. I own one and have sold heaps :whistle:

russd7
22nd September 2013, 16:09
always good to hear of peoples experiences, good or bad, i will be looking for a new helmet very soon as im not happy with the shark evo3 i have, i wont be going back to a modular due to the excessive noise and i did try on a shoei the other day and the fit was perfect, as i wear glassses i was thinking along the lines of the internal sun visor but it is interesting to read peoples comments on the extra noise that is maybe caused by the extra visor space in the helmet, but as with anything i will do a lot more research yet.
cheers for the info from the OP, but also other peoples experiences with them :niceone:

JayRacer37
23rd September 2013, 14:19
I've found the double-d does sag after a while as well, ending up as an E or even a double-F if things really go pear shaped.

'Tis indeed a real issue, I would recommend frequent adjustment or failing that trading in on a younger model.

Couldn't agree more! :)

ozjohnno
28th September 2013, 11:33
any helmet with a flip up face is going to be noisier than a standard one.

I loved my shoei XR1000 and gave it a hearty 2 thumbs up on the high speed headbutt test (highsided my zx14 and speared head first into a rather large tree)

If you want a quiet helmet the quietest one I have owned was a BMW sport integral.
Aweome helmet

OZ

Owl
28th September 2013, 11:54
any helmet with a flip up face is going to be noisier than a standard one.

GT-Air does not have a flip up face.:no:

ozjohnno
28th September 2013, 21:53
OH...... oops

Try the BMW helmet, quietest I have ever owned

monkeymcbean
21st October 2013, 20:31
I previously had a Shoei xr1000 med, and changed to a Shoei GT air med, again the fit was perfect in med for both models.
The Shoei GT was so comfy compared to the old helmet, with new nicer lining, and the snug fit around the neck which should cut back on some noise..though i always wear earplugs anyway.
I really noticed how the helmet had alot of room out front of my chin compared to old where I felt my nose and face was alot closer to the shield.
I like the idea of a built in sun visor instead of carrying a extra tinted shield around with me, plus the pinlock shield is much bigger on this sheild compared to my old helment where the pinlock edge seemed to position itself right where I was wanted to see out on the style of bike I own.

I've now travelled with the Shoei GT air for approx 5000kms and the helmet is still very comfortable and the two personal bug bears I have with this helmet are... I find it noisey ..even with ear plugs which could be due to the shield on my naked style bike, or the air vent ontop of the helmet, i only say this becasue if I tip my head slightly forward when riding the noise is reduced.
The other is the sun visor, I find when using it and the clear shield together objects in the distance are less clear. It could be the gap between the drop down visor and the clear shield causes distortion. When using the clear shield only visibility is fine. So although I like the idea of the drop down visor I don't like comprising visiblity. I may consider buying a tinted shield in the future for this helmet.

Grubber
22nd October 2013, 07:24
I'm on my 3rd Shoei and i have found them brilliant.
1st one was a cheap version and I can't remember what model it was but it had a good fit and didn't seem noisy.
This prompted me to buy another.
2nd one was a $900 job and i think it was a XR1100. Used this one on my race bike and it was great also.
I now have a Xpirit 11 and would have to say this one is the best of the lot.
I even tried one of those Carbon Fibre Bell helmets before i brought this one, thinking it would have to be the bees knees, but alas it didn't fit at all well so went back to Shoei.:doh:
No noise to speak of, light, good venting and nice fit.
It does have a very slight leak in the screen if it rains heavy but have since adjusted that out.
Over all i have to say i would buy again any time. In fact i probably wouldn't change brands now.
Had a look at the GT air and thought it wasn't a bad looking helmet to be fair.:niceone:

cc rider
23rd October 2013, 02:32
A tinted (external) visor is not available for the GT Air in Australia. Would be interested to know if one becomes available in NZ.

peril 787b
23rd October 2013, 12:45
A tinted (external) visor is not available for the GT Air in Australia. Would be interested to know if one becomes available in NZ.
Tinted external visor is not available for the GT Air anywhere in the world...
The flip-down sun shade does away with the necessity for a tinted visor

cc rider
24th October 2013, 02:09
Tinted external visor is not available for the GT Air anywhere in the world...
The flip-down sun shade does away with the necessity for a tinted visorWell it can reduce the need for a full tint.

I was just replying to monkeymcbean. :D

cheers

Erelyes
24th October 2013, 21:46
My Scorpion came with two visors (clear and light smoke) and a dark smoke is available too. It has a drop-down sunvisor

nzspokes
25th October 2013, 05:26
Well if a Shoei wont do you can have a Yohe.....

http://www.cnell.com/?cms_do=sale&sale_do=sale_show_one_product&product_id=30

:killingme

SMOKEU
28th October 2013, 13:09
Bad points:

Ear plugs are cheap off Trademe. Buy a few pairs and find what fits your ears the best.

Visor fogging up is easy to fix. There are several products to help with that.

Fuck tinted visors, just use sunnies instead. It's easier to just take your sunnies off than to carry a spare visor and swap it over once it gets dark out.

baffa
29th October 2013, 12:08
Would prefer tints over sunnies, personally. I had the orange Di def visor on my Raid 2, I highly recommend, but it wont handle really bright sunlight like a dark tint can.

Recently bought a Shoei Qwest. Quietiest helmet in their range, amazing fit, doesnt have the silly internal sunnies, and more room for intercom. A++ would trade again.

Qkchk
29th October 2013, 12:18
Going off personal experience, never buy a helmet for the internal sun shade - its a gimick and to be honest a sharp blade to cut through your nose if you ever had an off...

Still disappoints the hell out of me when I see riders out there on really nice machines but they buy 'el cheapo' helmets. Cripes you only get one brain! :rolleyes:

Boblar
13th February 2014, 19:43
I've had my Shoei GT Air for 6 months and I think it is great for my needs. I just commute in Auckland and go for weekend rides, so it suits me well. Things I like about the helmet are:
*Sun shield (beats wearing sunnies under your lid)
*Comfort (but make sure you get the right size - a little tight and break it in!)
*Looks and feels like a quality product.
*Pretty quiet helmet (saying that, I still wear plugs if I hit the motorway or go on the open road).

Dislike:
*Price is a bit steep (but I suppose your paying for both the quality and the name).

Overall I would recommend this helmet :niceone:

nzspokes
13th February 2014, 20:04
Going off personal experience, never buy a helmet for the internal sun shade - its a gimick and to be honest a sharp blade to cut through your nose if you ever had an off...

Still disappoints the hell out of me when I see riders out there on really nice machines but they buy 'el cheapo' helmets. Cripes you only get one brain! :rolleyes:

Agreed on the sun visor. I wont get another one like it. I got a HJC RHPA10 and love it. Light, very well vented and a great price if you can deal with having last years colour.

matrox02
16th February 2014, 22:03

if your head can move around in the helmet so that the sun visor can hit you in the face in an impact its either a fatal impact of the helmets waaaay too large! I have an Acerbis Helmet that has a visor and it sits an inch away from my face, if that manages to collect ur face there is something very wrong!

Qkchk
26th February 2014, 16:28
It's going a bit off topic but I got a Schuberth C3 Pro the other day - it leaves all other Helmets I've owned for dead! Extremely quiet and awesome aerodynamics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Transalper
6th March 2014, 18:43
Going off personal experience, never buy a helmet for the internal sun shade...

It's going a bit off topic but I got a Schuberth C3 Pro the other day - it leaves all other Helmets I've owned for dead! Extremely quiet and awesome aerodynamics...
Just had a look and seems they have an internal sun visor, you reckon this one is ok?

Pogo2
6th March 2014, 19:51
I think that it would be pretty hard to buy a helmet now without an internal sun visor, unless it was a real cheap one

Just love my Shoei Neotec!

benhall
28th July 2014, 10:46
I think that it would be pretty hard to buy a helmet now without an internal sun visor, unless it was a real cheap one

Just love my Shoei Neotec!

load of rubbish, plenty of topline helmets without internal visor, Bell helmets etc

Jin
30th December 2015, 09:16
Meh, like you said, everyone's probably got a different shaped head etc, so up to you if you want to take my advice or not. However, it's a much noisier helmet than my previous shoei, and I now have to go to the trouble of wearing earplugs for every ride, whereas I would previously not bother for say, popping down to the supermarket. Also, to your point about the air inside the helmet, I find that with the sun shade down and the front vent open (ie most likely what I'll do most days in summer) there's plenty of wind blowing directly into my eyes. Not the end of the world, but not ideal on a $700+ helmet.

So if I had to buy a new helmet again now, no way I'd get this one again. Other people can make their own minds up of course, and no doubt plenty of people out there will find it great. Good for them.
Im having this exact problem on my Shoei GT Air. Wind is blasting directly into my right eye even with the chin vent closed. Couldnt ride for a few days my right eye was so sore and itchy. Eye drops fixed my eye now but still not sure what to do about the helmet. I'll put the chin guard back and see if that stops wind turbulence. Anyone else having wind issues with their GT Air?

nzspokes
30th December 2015, 09:25
Im having this exact problem on my Shoei GT Air. Wind is blasting directly into my right eye even with the chin vent closed. Couldnt ride for a few days my right eye was so sore and itchy. Eye drops fixed my eye now but still not sure what to do about the helmet. I'll put the chin guard back and see if that stops wind turbulence. Anyone else having wind issues with their GT Air?
Only above 200. I now use a hrc rpha 10 for track.

I see you can get smoke visors for them now.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Frodo
1st January 2016, 20:15

I have the same problem with my Neotec. The chin guard largely solves the problem by reducing air moving up across my face, but this makes it more difficult to close the chin piece. My previous Multitec had neither problem.

Jin
5th January 2016, 16:45
Yeah chin guard has stopped a lot of the wind and the whistling. There is still a bit of wind which is going up my nose which is annoying but I can live with it.

nzspokes
5th January 2016, 16:48
Got a Smoke visor for it today. Brilliant.

Jin
7th January 2016, 09:52
Whats the benefit of a smoke visor?

Berries
7th January 2016, 10:24
It's like wearing sunglasses to reduce the glare without having to faff around with sunglasses.

Tazz
7th January 2016, 14:16
And they taste better.

rambaldi
7th January 2016, 15:02
And they taste better.

Only if they are Manuka smoked. Fuck that hickory stuff from the states.

fxxk
2nd March 2016, 19:35
Haven't had a lot of experience with helmets but I like the fit and features of my Shoei GT Air, front vent, vent at top and an exhaust vent at the rear. Quite loud with the top vent open and a slight whistle at speed if the front vent is open but i've found this quite good when riding at night, keeps me alert.

Always wear ear plugs on the open road, i have found that most of the noise comes from air coming underneath the helmet, if you put your hand/glove around your neck under the helmet you will notice most of the noise stops.

LinkNZ
27th June 2016, 23:46
There's a guy on Trademe selling compatible (non Shoei) tinted visors for the GT Air for half the price of the genuine ones.

Also, is my hearing already fcked or is there no difference to noise levels no matter which way I sent my top front and rear vents?

Ulsterkiwi
28th June 2016, 08:47
Noise levels are also a factor of your bike and you, is the bike faired or not? Is there a screen or not? Is the screen the right "fit" for you or not? A helmet/bike combination will work for one person but not another. I am not aerodynamic, some people are.
I have a GT Air, its light and very comfortable and the build quality is far superior to the Caberg I used before that. I have just changed bikes and the noise levels have changed dramatically (for the better), still wearing the same helmet!

Krayy
5th September 2016, 10:20
I have had a GT Air for a year and half now and haven't had any problems with whistling noises and its fits pretty well.

My only complaint is that the air flow could be better. In summer heat you really feel it as not enough air comes over the top, as the scoop is large but the actual hole the air goes in is pretty small. When that happens I ride with the visor up and the tinted shield down which seems to do okay.

nzspokes
5th September 2016, 17:32
I have had a GT Air for a year and half now and haven't had any problems with whistling noises and its fits pretty well.

My only complaint is that the air flow could be better. In summer heat you really feel it as not enough air comes over the top, as the scoop is large but the actual hole the air goes in is pretty small. When that happens I ride with the visor up and the tinted shield down which seems to do okay.

Disagree with you to a degree. I find on my VTR I dont get much flow. On my GSX1250 I get heaps. Works very very well on the GSX. VTR is ok but nothing like the GSX. So its all about how the air hits the helmet.

Maha
24th June 2017, 08:17
можно ли завещать подаренную квартиру

займ под залог материнского капитала в москве онлайн

No Rasputin that...see what I did there?

lenzod3
30th June 2017, 21:57
I also have a Shoei GT Air. There's a slight whistle when catching a cross wind, but not really annoying.