PDA

View Full Version : Webbs auction 10 March?

jellywrestler
12th March 2013, 18:38
anyone go and tell us what sold please?

cc rider
12th March 2013, 23:15
I've requested a result list, will post when I get it.

Came across this jelly

Webbs 2013 motorcycle auction results (http://www.barnstormers.co.nz/?p=879/)

HenryDorsetCase
13th March 2013, 07:02
Webbs sure make out like bandits, huh?

They get a fee from the vendor (commission) plus there is a buyers premium. The buyers premium is 15% on top, and then GST on top of that. So your $10k bargain becomes $1725, and depending on the comm (say its 15%) then Webbs have trousered near $3000 out of the sale price. Sure, they are supposed to be at the premium end of the market, but even if you are rich it doesnt mean you can't count.

That Excelsior conditionally sold at $61k: that turns into just over $72k. Figure in the commission and they've got the thick end of $20k out of the deal.

Almost as lucrative as being a real estate agent, innit? And as honourable.

jellywrestler
13th March 2013, 10:04
Webbs sure make out like bandits, huh?

They get a fee from the vendor (commission) plus there is a buyers premium. The buyers premium is 15% on top, and then GST on top of that. So your $10k bargain becomes $1725, and depending on the comm (say its 15%) then Webbs have trousered near $3000 out of the sale price. Sure, they are supposed to be at the premium end of the market, but even if you are rich it doesnt mean you can't count.

That Excelsior conditionally sold at $61k: that turns into just over $72k. Figure in the commission and they've got the thick end of $20k out of the deal.

Almost as lucrative as being a real estate agent, innit? And as honourable.
i pointed out the filed off frame number with file marks stil visible on the d series vinnie the other day to neil campbell, didn't bat an eyelid, they've let a few things they know to well about slip out there too

Voltaire
13th March 2013, 11:52
I suppose its up to the buyer to do the 'Due diligence" when buying anything but I would expect that the high profile auction of classic bikes would have the provenance verified prior to auction. I'm sure the Auctioneers cover themselves with this one.....

I don't know much about Vincents but a pre unit Bonnie could be 'replicated' easily as would probably a lot of bikes based on less desirable models.
there may be an acceptable explanation for 'file marks' like the entire frame was beyond restoring but we saved ithe bit with the frame number and welded it into a new frame.....

I've seen restored bikes with all new fixings in stainless steel, stainless spokes, powdercoated frames....begs the question what is restored.

Paul in NZ
13th March 2013, 12:00
I've seen restored bikes with all new fixings in stainless steel, stainless spokes, powdercoated frames....begs the question what is restored.

Meh - they have become 'collectables' and yeah - you need to do your homework and be prepared to be expensively shafted if you are not 100% sure by dodgy sellers...

My poor old TR6C has all the bits a 1970 TR6C should have including matching engine/frame numbers except... They are the dodgiest engine numbers ever and its obviously NOT a 1970 engine... (its a 67).. Thats the way it came from the USA - I knew it when I bought it and its never bothered me as its just a part of its history...

It really limits its resale value but I don't care - its as cute as a bug and does not affect its ability in any way and in fact it usually rides rings around the 'correct' trailer queens... In we have ridden it a LOT over the decades proves what a bloody good riding bike it really is.....

But if you found a mug....