PDA

View Full Version : In a class of their own!

Edbear
16th March 2013, 19:04
I was at HD today watching the practice runs and catching up with everyone.

Caught up with Shaun and what a change! He is calm and happy and enjoying life again. It's been a long hard road and he reckons he still has a bit to do but he's a changed man.

Every class has its standouts and attractions and I'm not just talking about Sarah, Nicky, Tracey and Jo and Maxine, either... Some great up-and-comers including one young man who high sided last week and was hobbling around in an ankle boot but still raced! "It's okay," he said, "the right foot doesn't do much.."

Nick Cole did a PB today after switching to Metzler tyres and was right up with the front runners despite suffering for a lack of sponsorship. By the way, is there anyone around Aucks or Hamilton who could do him a huge favour with a dyno session before Taupo? I can pitch in to help pay for it but it is sad to see a guy with his talent and drive not able to get the best out of the bike. He really needs a Power Commander too...

As always, I had difficulty getting my head around the sheer pace of the Superbikes! Say what you like about all racers in all class's deserving respect for their ability and talent, these guys are a whole different species! Anybody who can get the best from a Superbike on a race track is head and shoulders above mere mortals! Poor old,(shhh don't tell him I said that..), Tony Rees was getting a much needed massage from Vicky and commented, "Racing a Superbike gives you a good workout!"

A great day talking to and watching some great people!

98tls
16th March 2013, 19:34
Nice post Ed,lets not forget though that KBs full of Superbike riders with no need for a track to show there skills,spend some time over on the West Coast of the South isle and you will come across plenty,resplendent on the latest n greatest complete with blimp suits equal to the value of there steeds.The only difference betwwen the wannabes and the real dudes is the wannabes change there brake light bulbs as much as the real guys change tyres...

tri boy
16th March 2013, 19:44
Caught up with Shaun and what a change! He is calm and happy and enjoying life again.

Gremlin calm, ,:killingme. What did you do to him, fire a kilo of valium up his veins or summit,

Edbear
16th March 2013, 19:50
Gremlin calm, ,:killingme. What did you do to him, fire a kilo of valium up his veins or summit,

Whatever he's on it's working! Of course he may not be on anything at all but he looks and sounds a different man.

Edbear
16th March 2013, 19:53
Nice post Ed,lets not forget though that KBs full of Superbike riders with no need for a track to show there skills,spend some time over on the West Coast of the South isle and you will come across plenty,resplendent on the latest n greatest complete with blimp suits equal to the value of there steeds.The only difference betwwen the wannabes and the real dudes is the wannabes change there brake light bulbs as much as the real guys change tyres...

And the real guys can't afford the flash stuff either. Everyone is finding it tough this year. I just wish I was rich enough to help them all but alas... :(

Mental Trousers
16th March 2013, 19:54
Watch the Posties tomorrow. Cameron Donald is THE class act of the entire Nationals weekend.

Edbear
16th March 2013, 19:55
I know I put paragraphs in my post but maybe because it was on my iPhone it didn't work? :argh:

trailblazer
16th March 2013, 19:57
watched it on the live timing and video feed today :yes:. Was planning on making the trip up tomorrow on the bike but the young fella wants to tag along so decided to let him so have to take the car now.
Looks like it will be a good day of close racing.

Edbear
16th March 2013, 19:57
Watch the Posties tomorrow. Cameron Donald is THE class act of the entire Nationals weekend.

Was that him who ran away from everyone and had his own race? His bike sounded fabulous, too! :2thumbsup

Mental Trousers
16th March 2013, 20:08
yep. Number plate is "C"

Edbear
16th March 2013, 20:30
yep. Number plate is "C"

He was flying! :wacko:

Foxzee
16th March 2013, 20:30
Great post ED!

Still complexed though about Burt Wolland losing his Swinger to a Ambo ride, finding a new one and restarting under a red flag he caused with a new one...

Kickaha
16th March 2013, 20:40
Great post ED!

Still complexed though about Burt Wolland losing his Swinger to a Ambo ride, finding a new one and restarting under a red flag he caused with a new one...

Well he didn't really cause it as it wasn't him that fell off :whistle:

rule 6.13

The decision to stop a race for whatever the reason can only come from
the Steward or the Clerk of the Course. For climatic reasons the
race can only be stopped once.
When a race has been stopped immediately any result or
decision is based on the race order of the previous lap then
the number of laps referred to in A and B
is the number of laps effected before the lap in which
the race is stopped.

A. If two laps or less are completed:
a.
The original start shall be declared null and void.
All riders taking part in the original start shall be allowed to restart
either on the original machine or on another machine provided it
has been approved as fit to race by the machine examiners. The
restarted race shall be for the full race distance and the original
grid positions will be used. The place of any motorcycle unable to
take part in the restart shall be left vacant.

Edbear
16th March 2013, 20:53
Great post ED!

rule 6.13

the race is stopped.

a.

The replacement ran up yelling to Burt if he could jump on and Burt yelled back to ask the stewards first. Only when he got the okay did they join back in. Maxine is apparently okay and was heading off to either get an X-ray or some beers depending on who you asked...

She looked sore and shaken but hopefully no real damage done.

Foxzee
16th March 2013, 20:54

rule 6.13

the race is stopped.

a.

So to be completely ridiculous Burt can re-start by himself ?

Kickaha
16th March 2013, 20:55
Maxine is apparently okay and was heading off to either get an X-ray or some beers depending on who you asked...
She has gone for X-rays

Edbear
16th March 2013, 21:02
She has gone for X-rays

Someone said she was stopping for some beers on the way to hospital... ;)

Still she will do the right thing of course. Hope she's okay. Burt doesn't know why she fell off there so I guess she will let someone know what happened.

Foxzee
16th March 2013, 21:08
Burt wouldn't know what way the world spun..

Edbear
16th March 2013, 21:12
Burt wouldn't know what way the world spun..

LoL! I don't know him personally so I'll take your word for it.

Mental Trousers
16th March 2013, 21:17
Burt did stop briefly on the cool down lap at turn 5 so the swinger could pick something up....

Bytor
16th March 2013, 21:23
Indeed it was a great day. Took my eldest lad (9) who thought it was an 'awesome' day too. Cameron Donald was sensational, 125gp race was surprisingly fast and the Superbikes...well what can I say that hasn't been said before! Special thanks to Ryan Hampton who spent time with us, photos and autograph for my lad, cheers Ryan and hope that your weekend gets better!
Will be back tomorrow for more. Hope that more joe public turns up to witness these unique racing experiences, at $25 a weekend it's a steal.

Edbear
16th March 2013, 21:29
A great deal, just a shame I can't make it back tomorrow and no discounts for one day. :weep:

Edbear
17th March 2013, 10:43
So to be completely ridiculous Burt can re-start by himself ?

The rules don't seem to address sidecars, do they?

Edbear
18th March 2013, 07:51
Any news on Maxine?

scrivy
18th March 2013, 08:09
Any news on Maxine?

She was still asleep in my spare bed when I left at 8:20 this morning.
She hobbled in late last night on crutches with a knee brace on. She's gotta see someone about it this week.

swarfie
18th March 2013, 08:13
Any news on Maxine?

Burt and my wife Cheryl went back to Hamilton Saturday afternoon and spent HOURS up at A&E with Maxine waiting for an X-ray on her knee, nothing broken but very stretched muscles and ligaments around her knee cap. She spent the Sunday relaxing at our place and Burt picked her up on his way home. I was going to swing for Burt on Sunday but as he had no wets that didn't happen.:sweatdrop

scrivy
18th March 2013, 08:38
I was going to swing for Burt on Sunday but as he had no wets that didn't happen.:sweatdrop

I hear you might be doing the duties at Taupo????

Take ya bets here, roll up roll up........ 2/1 odds that Nev will come off......

Lol.

swarfie
18th March 2013, 08:45
I hear you might be doing the duties at Taupo????

Take ya bets here, roll up roll up........ 2/1 odds that Nev will come off......

Lol.

Thanks for the vote of confidence there Scrivy. :motu: I swung on Burts chair at the HAGD last year with Jo in the pilots seat...she scared the crap out of ME for change :crazy::lol:

Edbear
18th March 2013, 08:47
She was still asleep in my spare bed when I left at 8:20 this morning.
She hobbled in late last night on crutches with a knee brace on. She's gotta see someone about it this week.

Burt and my wife Cheryl went back to Hamilton Saturday afternoon and spent HOURS up at A&E with Maxine waiting for an X-ray on her knee, nothing broken but very stretched muscles and ligaments around her knee cap. She spent the Sunday relaxing at our place and Burt picked her up on his way home. I was going to swing for Burt on Sunday but as he had no wets that didn't happen.:sweatdrop

So lots of pain then, for sure! Poor thing. Gotta suck when so near the end of the season.

sugilite
18th March 2013, 16:29
What bike was he riding?

Mental Trousers
18th March 2013, 16:50
What bike was he riding?

MacIntosh framed Suzuki 1100. Gorgeous bike and it was damn fast.

Damien_Toman
18th March 2013, 20:50
Here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dty1/8567801276/sizes/o/in/set-72157633016444124/

Awesome bike and rider.

Damien

sugilite
18th March 2013, 20:59
What an amazing photo! And bike and rider!
I wonder who owns that bike?
My brother in law has one of those in his garage, Norris Farrows old one.

Mental Trousers
19th March 2013, 10:56
Maybe you should roll it out and see if you can keep up with him sometime bro!!

What an amazing photo! And bike and rider!
I wonder who owns that bike?
My brother in law has one of those in his garage, Norris Farrows old one.

Edbear
19th March 2013, 12:48
Maybe you should roll it out and see if you can keep up with him sometime bro!!

The way he was going you'd need a rocket assist! :wacko:

Robert Taylor
20th March 2013, 20:17
I was at HD today watching the practice runs and catching up with everyone.

Caught up with Shaun and what a change! He is calm and happy and enjoying life again. It's been a long hard road and he reckons he still has a bit to do but he's a changed man.

Every class has its standouts and attractions and I'm not just talking about Sarah, Nicky, Tracey and Jo and Maxine, either... Some great up-and-comers including one young man who high sided last week and was hobbling around in an ankle boot but still raced! "It's okay," he said, "the right foot doesn't do much.."

Nick Cole did a PB today after switching to Metzler tyres and was right up with the front runners despite suffering for a lack of sponsorship. By the way, is there anyone around Aucks or Hamilton who could do him a huge favour with a dyno session before Taupo? I can pitch in to help pay for it but it is sad to see a guy with his talent and drive not able to get the best out of the bike. He really needs a Power Commander too...

As always, I had difficulty getting my head around the sheer pace of the Superbikes! Say what you like about all racers in all class's deserving respect for their ability and talent, these guys are a whole different species! Anybody who can get the best from a Superbike on a race track is head and shoulders above mere mortals! Poor old,(shhh don't tell him I said that..), Tony Rees was getting a much needed massage from Vicky and commented, "Racing a Superbike gives you a good workout!"

A great day talking to and watching some great people!

I can assure you Nicks pace was not about a switch to Metzelers as they are pretty much the same as Pirellis, they are made by Pirelli! He was personally onto it and we made an experiment with his Ohlins NIX30 fork cartridges that immediately worked really well. We also did so with Hayden Fitzgeralds and his pace was also instantly a level up. This upgrade we can apply to all NIX30 cartridges, its simple and highly effective. They remain by a huge margin the easiest cartridges to make setting changes with and together with the Ohlins gas cartridges are the ongoing winningest cartridges in Superbike racing in NZ.

gixerracer
20th March 2013, 20:31
I can assure you Nicks pace was not about a switch to Metzelers as they are pretty much the same as Pirellis, they are made by Pirelli! He was personally onto it and we made an experiment with his Ohlins NIX30 fork cartridges that immediately worked really well. We also did so with Hayden Fitzgeralds and his pace was also instantly a level up. This upgrade we can apply to all NIX30 cartridges, its simple and highly effective. They remain by a huge margin the easiest cartridges to make setting changes with and together with the Ohlins gas cartridges are the ongoing winningest cartridges in Superbike racing in NZ.

WTF did you do with my fokrs???
I want a refund

Robert Taylor
20th March 2013, 20:58
WTF did you do with my fokrs???
I want a refund

Nothing, similiar to your results. To finish first, first you must finish. You and Robbie were a team act on the weekend! We want a refund for you riders not keeping your end of the bargain and Im still waiting for the case of finest merlot Craig!

scrivy
21st March 2013, 08:30
Im still waiting for the case of finest merlot Craig!

WTF???? What exactly does Craig put in his bottle??? :crazy:

......and you're looking forward to it?????? :eek5:

Robert Taylor
21st March 2013, 17:03
WTF???? What exactly does Craig put in his bottle??? :crazy:

......and you're looking forward to it?????? :eek5:

Ive been waiting for years anyway, lucky Im not holding my breath.

Edbear
21st March 2013, 18:26
Ive been waiting for years anyway, lucky Im not holding my breath.

I know Craig's got bottle....

jellywrestler
25th March 2013, 21:02
take part in the restart shall be left vacant. isn't there a rule somewhere stating the rider must have th same swinger for the whole race after the big incident in porirua in the early seventies?

jellywrestler
25th March 2013, 21:08
MacIntosh framed Suzuki 1100. Gorgeous bike and it was damn fast.

MacIntosh make lollies and raincoats
he was riding a McIntosh, Ken and team built a new one recently

Kickaha
25th March 2013, 21:15
isn't there a rule somewhere stating the rider must have th same swinger for the whole race after the big incident in porirua in the early seventies?

Dunno, but my understanding was a Official/Steward was asked and gave the ok for Burt to restart with a different swinger

jellywrestler
25th March 2013, 21:35
Dunno, but my understanding was a Official/Steward was asked and gave the ok for Burt to restart with a different swinger

does anyone actually know the rules at all???????

Kickaha
25th March 2013, 21:42

Do you know every single rule in the book without consulting it? I sure as fuck dont but I know where to look if I need to find them

jellywrestler
26th March 2013, 09:25
Do you know every single rule in the book without consulting it? I sure as fuck dont but I know where to look if I need to find them

when i raced i knew ALL THE RULES PERTAINING TO MY CLASS, and the safety rules.

scrivy
26th March 2013, 09:33

There's rules to racing???? :gob::facepalm:

Edbear
26th March 2013, 10:53
There's rules to racing???? :gob::facepalm:

Yup! First across the line wins! :yes:

scrivy
26th March 2013, 12:09
Yup! First across the line wins! :yes:

Without a passenger?
With a different passenger?
Under a red flag?
In front of a safety car?

:facepalm::shutup:

sidecar bob
26th March 2013, 12:17

I was standing in pit lane when Burt came in & offered my services immediately, being in street clothes it would have taken me five minutes plus to geared up & sign on.
No sooner had I offered than Carl Venimore, already in full gear, signed on to race a superbike & holding a helmet & gloves also offered.
There was an exchange between the grid marshall & race control in the apartments, they were making visual contact as well as radio comms with the marshall, which I was a party to.
Race control wanted confirmation that the volunteer passenger was signed on & fully dressed & with that, he was deemed good to go.

Edbear
26th March 2013, 12:49
Without a passenger?
With a different passenger?
Under a red flag?
In front of a safety car?

:facepalm::shutup:

Hey, let's not complicate it too much... :blink:

Kickaha
26th March 2013, 13:18
I was standing in pit lane when Burt came in & offered my services immediately

You seem to be getting quite keen on getting on a long bike :whistle: