Well the earth moved for me.
Central Auckland. 4:05pm

scissorhands
17th March 2013, 15:19
First I've ever felt ever, didnt feel the one 5min earlier though

http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/region/aucklandnorthland/felt

Zedder
17th March 2013, 15:30
Yep, I've just logged the 3.9 one with GeoNet as a "felt it".

caseye
17th March 2013, 15:31
Ditto with Geo net.
2 Sharp and distinct jolts down here in Sarf Dorkland.

The End
17th March 2013, 15:35
I survived the Auckland earthquake 17/03/2013

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/735052_591304430899288_981026555_n.jpg

Maha
17th March 2013, 15:37
Run for the Hills!....no wait!!!...run away from the Hills! :brick:

Road kill
17th March 2013, 15:43
Wot ?

Sorry, was polishing bike at the time,,,,lookin' good:2thumbsup

Mushu
17th March 2013, 15:58
3.9, lol

............harden up that's nothing.

Someone had to say it.

Sent from my XT535 using Tapatalk 2

Madness
17th March 2013, 15:59
http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/p320x320/6158_626772347338645_730836413_n.jpg

The End
17th March 2013, 16:00
Oh wow, Aucklanders....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NbAN8iVZtXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Zedder
17th March 2013, 16:19
3.9, lol

............harden up that's nothing.

Someone had to say it.

Sent from my XT535 using Tapatalk 2

Nobody up north was making out it was a problem.

Akzle
17th March 2013, 16:50
it wasn't that tunnelly-majig machine they're spending all NZ's money on, was it?

i hope there's a 12. and auckland is replaced by a really big hole. a literal hole, not the metaphorical hole it is now.

it would make for an awesome dive.. once fish had eaten all the flesh, that is. and if you only had the top few stories of buildings sticking up. it'd be choice.

ktm84mxc
17th March 2013, 16:59
A 3.9 had bigger farts after a dodgy curry from the takeaways . Bloody Dorklanders harden up it's got to be a least a 5.0 before it counts, and yes I grew up in Welly.

Zedder
17th March 2013, 17:10
it wasn't that tunnelly-majig machine they're spending all NZ's money on, was it?

i hope there's a 12. and auckland is replaced by a really big hole. a literal hole, not the metaphorical hole it is now.

it would make for an awesome dive.. once fish had eaten all the flesh, that is. and if you only had the top few stories of buildings sticking up. it'd be choice.

Lol, with a 12 magnitude you wouldn't be here as well. The largest ever recorded was a 9.5 which is massive.

PrincessBandit
17th March 2013, 17:19
My mum texted me to ask "Did you feel the earthquakes?" My reply "what earthquakes?" I had to read about them on the interdweeb. Felt some goodies while they were still rockin' Christchurch while I was down there, but the "oh noes, Auckland has had two earthquakes" completely bypassed me.

Akzle
17th March 2013, 19:19
Lol, with a 12 magnitude you wouldn't be here as well. The largest ever recorded was a 9.5 which is massive.

you take the fnu out of life, know that?

my hypothetical was fucking perfect: auckland sinks about 30 stories.
it could be the first localized earthquake type event that humans have witnessed/ recorded without ascribing it to angry gods of dirt.

on a semi-related note. we got 4.5mm of rain. that adds to the 3.5 last month and the 2 the month before. it's trending upward.
of course, the largest ever recorded was by that dude on the boat with the menagerie. which was massive.

but would serve the porpoise of submerging auckland nicely, too.

PrincessBandit
17th March 2013, 21:32
you take the fnu out of life, know that?

my hypothetical was fucking perfect: auckland sinks about 30 stories.
it could be the first localized earthquake type event that humans have witnessed/ recorded without ascribing it to angry gods of dirt.

on a semi-related note. we got 4.5mm of rain. that adds to the 3.5 last month and the 2 the month before. it's trending upward.
of course, the largest ever recorded was by that dude on the boat with the menagerie. which was massive.

but would serve the porpoise of submerging auckland nicely, too.

Ah but where Auckland goes, the rest of the country follows...

Berries
17th March 2013, 21:42
Oh I don't know, some of us still think that racing sailing boats is stupid.

scissorhands
17th March 2013, 21:47
Oddly, the rain that began yesterday, converged on Aucks from both east and westerly directions

Usually weather fronts come from only one direction [at a time]. Strange

I wonder what Herr Ring has to say...

Berries
17th March 2013, 21:51
I wonder what Herr Ring has to say...
If that is how you get a weather forecast I am not as sick as I thought I was.

swbarnett
18th March 2013, 05:55
To all of you belittling Auckland's quakes - I agree this lot is not a cause for concern. However, we have one thing that Christchurch doesn't that means a cluster of small quakes over a fairly short perioed is definitely a cause for concern - a volcanic field.

Akzle
18th March 2013, 06:40
Oh I don't know, some of us still think that racing sailing boats is stupid.
i don't expecially, i like sailing.
and the irony is, it would make a much better sailing arena, you wouldn't need marker bouys out, you could just use the tops of buildings. it'd be a bit viennese. and plenty of shit to tie new moorings to.

Ah but where Auckland goes, the rest of the country follows...
only an aucklander could come up with that.

(:bs:)

a cause for concern - a volcanic field.

oh i'm praying for that, too. if it came at the same time as the subduction, we could end up with some really awesome drop-off type islets. the fishing would be awesome.

FJRider
18th March 2013, 06:48
To all of you belittling Auckland's quakes - I agree this lot is not a cause for concern. However, we have one thing that Christchurch doesn't that means a cluster of small quakes over a fairly short perioed is definitely a cause for concern - a volcanic field.

The funny part is ... One and a half Million people CHOOSE to live there ...

And you wonder why we belittle them ...

scissorhands
18th March 2013, 08:12
Personal choice is beyond me......;) Objectively Aucklands climate is very desirable, not too hot or cold, breezy clean air surrounded by water on both sides. City of a thousand lovers or something

I'm thinking the drought may have something to do with the quake. I've had to repair some twisting house issues, sticking doors and windows, and watch skateparks crack as the soils the concrete structures sit on, shrink and break foundations.

Then the weight of drought breaking water [suddenly] changes the balance, as underground streams suddenly filling.... can cause tippings and movements on a larger scale?

awa355
18th March 2013, 09:04
Len Brown will be able to use this to justify a 'new' Auckland. Fletcher construction will be rubbing their hands together. Another blank cheque heading their way.

Swoop
18th March 2013, 10:14
I'm seriously thinking about writing to Gerry Brownlee, Minister for Earthquake Recovery.

Yesterday's quake was felt all over Auckland and as such we have "all" been affected. I believe this is the right time to copy Christchurch's example and spend the next two years bulldozing stuff.

I would like to recommend:
Beachhaven,
Devonport,
Glenfield,
Ponsonby,
Queen St,
Ranui,
New Lynn,
Onehunga,
South Auckland, everything East of SH1,
Manukau, and
Queen St (worth bulldozing twice, just to make sure!)
Along with these locations, ANY subdivision with monolithic cladding leaky-building crap = bulldozer!

Then we can start the "rebuild"... at a snails pace, with integrated transport systems and cohesive design of a city.

Akzle
18th March 2013, 11:02
Personal choice is beyond me......;) Objectively Aucklands climate is very desirable, not too hot or cold, breezy clean air surrounded by water on both sides. City of a thousand lovers or something

clean air?! where the fuck are you talking about? auckland is a smog hole.
on hot days it IS "too hot" and on cold days it IS "too cold". (this is true of anywhere on the planet)
one harbour was used as a shit-pond for a few decades, the other is full of ferries, cargo ships and aucklanders on boats. as if that's not bad enough, neither have much in the way of decent fishing.

a thousand lovers eh? the other 990 000 are haters... or cops. or hater-cops.

nope, still a fucking hole and definitely be improved by being 30 storeys underground/water.

huff3r
18th March 2013, 11:07

I thought most were forced to by their employers. A case of Auckland being slightly more convenient than Wellington, growing larger, and then a snowball effect. More businesses move there, their employees have to as well, then related businesses must do as well, to make doing business easier. My own Parents chose Kuwait over moving to Auckland when Dad's head office shifted.

Tigadee
18th March 2013, 11:55
I thought it was my daughter doing her Dance Central thing...

*behind me* "Daaaad!" :dodge:

Zedder
18th March 2013, 12:05
clean air?! where the fuck are you talking about? auckland is a smog hole.
on hot days it IS "too hot" and on cold days it IS "too cold". (this is true of anywhere on the planet)
one harbour was used as a shit-pond for a few decades, the other is full of ferries, cargo ships and aucklanders on boats. as if that's not bad enough, neither have much in the way of decent fishing.

a thousand lovers eh? the other 990 000 are haters... or cops. or hater-cops.

nope, still a fucking hole and definitely be improved by being 30 storeys underground/water.

Got any data about the smog hole?

Also, subduction is happening continuously in the North Island. It's not a "happens at the same time" event as you seem to think.

BoristheBiter
18th March 2013, 12:06
nope, still a fucking hole and definitely be improved by being 30 storeys underground/wate

And the north is what? a pillar of light? don't make me laugh. You live in a crime filled shit hole but then with your standards you wouldn't know the difference.

To all you Auckland hater's, we just carry on with our lives while you spend FAR to much time thinking we give a fuck.
Maybe if you put some of the energy it takes to hate and put it to some good use you might have something that would make people move to whatever part of the country you are in.

Swoop
18th March 2013, 12:10
To all you Auckland hater's, we just carry on with our lives while you spend FAR to much time thinking we give a fuck.
Maybe if you put some of the energy it takes to hate and put it to some good use...
I have made a valid and genuine suggestion already in this thread. It should be seriously considered.

Sadly I overlooked Morningside. Please supply more bulldozers for this affected area.

Signed.
An Aucklander.

BoristheBiter
18th March 2013, 12:24
I have made a valid and genuine suggestion already in this thread. It should be seriously considered.

Sadly I overlooked Morningside. Please supply more bulldozers for this affected area.

Signed.
An Aucklander.

Sorry Fletcher's have them all in Christchurch. Please reapply when Christchurch is once again flat.

swbarnett
18th March 2013, 13:56
oh i'm praying for that, too. if it came at the same time as the subduction, we could end up with some really awesome drop-off type islets. the fishing would be awesome.
Part of me agrees with you. I don't live here anymore (officially I live in the Waikato). I'd have a hard time getting to work though.

Funny thing is that volcanoes are some of the most populated areas on the planet. All that fertile land.

Match that up with one of the most beautiful city harbours in the world and it gets more attractive. Just wish it wasn't full of Aucklanders*.

*Or any other people for that matter.

Akzle
18th March 2013, 14:04
Got any data about the smog hole?

Also, subduction is happening continuously in the North Island. It's not a "happens at the same time" event as you seem to think.

yes - every time i'm in auckland i think "man this place smells like shit, of a very carbon monoxidey, diesel fume kind of nature" i was actually considering one of them carbon facemasks like you see the chineses wear. i probably will next time.

secondly - you seem to expect logic from my posts. you should know better. what i'm going for is a cataclysmic event that results in better fishing, and dead aucklanders.

Bassmatt
18th March 2013, 14:35
yes - every time i'm in auckland i think "man this place smells like shit, of a very carbon monoxidey, diesel fume kind of nature" .

Yep, smells like that to me also.

Zedder
18th March 2013, 14:49
yes - every time i'm in auckland i think "man this place smells like shit, of a very carbon monoxidey, diesel fume kind of nature" i was actually considering one of them carbon facemasks like you see the chineses wear. i probably will next time.

secondly - you seem to expect logic from my posts. you should know better. what i'm going for is a cataclysmic event that results in better fishing, and dead aucklanders.

Well, it does have vehicles running around the place producing said fumes so not surprising.

Logic from you? That's the last thing I expect.

slofox
18th March 2013, 14:50
I was in d'Auckland at the time it happened. Didn't notice a fing. :drool:

Maha
18th March 2013, 15:22
Two fault lines run through the Auckland area, complacency is probably not a good look. At least those of us on the right side of the bridge can always go north if mother earth wants some of her land back.

Madness
18th March 2013, 15:37
Two fault lines run through the Auckland area, complacency is probably not a good look. At least those of us on the right side of the bridge can always go north if mother earth wants some of her land back.

Considering all the major breweries are on the south side of te bridge I'd suggest you're actually on the wrong side.

Maha
18th March 2013, 15:40
Considering all the major breweries are on the south side of te bridge I'd suggest you're actually on the wrong side.

The beer would get through don't you worry.

Madness
18th March 2013, 15:42
The beer would get through don't you worry.

You planning on bartering with some snazzy beads & wooly blankets? That shit'll never work, again.

Maha
18th March 2013, 15:56
You planning on bartering with some snazzy beads & wooly blankets? That shit'll never work, again.

Naaaaaaa counting on Akzel to go get it. He seems to have a good repport with the locals

awa355
18th March 2013, 16:12

Mita been the exhaust waves from the Gixxer.

mashman
18th March 2013, 16:25
Funny thing is that volcanoes are some of the most populated areas on the planet. All that fertile land.

True. And then we smother it in concrete and use land elsewhere for agriculture :blink:

Akzle
18th March 2013, 16:41
Well, it does have vehicles running around the place producing said fumes so not surprising.
yes it does. too many of them for too little-a space and not carrying enough people.
the comment was a response to someone saying there was "fresh air". i don't believe there is.

2x 20 and a 30lt bucket says no. (plus a stack of 10s)

Naaaaaaa counting on Akzel to go get it. He seems to have a report with the locals
i got my shit sorted. and last i knew: you're a bigoted cunt, so you wont be getting any...
my rapport is with northland right now. not waikato. so i don't have to go anywhere to get it...

come the akzlepocalypse, i'll be sitting roadside with a rifle and a big stack of ammo shooting any of the fuckers trying to get north. might blow up those tunnels, too.

Maha
18th March 2013, 16:55
come the akzlepocalypse, i'll be sitting in my caravan with a rifle and a big stack of ammo shooting any of the fuckers trying to get north. might blow up those tunnels, too.

But your caravan wont provide alot of cover in such an event.

scissorhands
18th March 2013, 20:45
Geonet stats say to me 'be prepared for more'

http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/region/aucklandnorthland/statistics
Quake Statistics
This is a summary of earthquakes in the Auckland and Northland region.
Summary Data

Table summarising earthquake numbers over the past week, month and year.
Magnitude Last week Last month Last year
< 2 2 4 17
2 - 3 2 8 97
3 - 4 3 6 63
4 - 5 0 0 2
5 - 6 0 0 0
>= 6 0 0 0

Total 7 18 179

BoristheBiter
18th March 2013, 21:21
come the akzlepocalypse

Sounds more like an ice block:killingme

Swoop
19th March 2013, 07:32
Sorry Fletcher's have them all in Christchurch. Please reapply when Christchurch is once again flat.
I thought Chch was always flat. They are just making it flatter!:cool:

Was out travelling and missed it. Got home to hear the tale though.
I asked if the dog knew it was coming (as animals are clever and can detect stuff like that) and was told "no, she slept right through it, laying on her back".
Fantastic guard dog she is...:rolleyes:

BoristheBiter
19th March 2013, 11:09
I thought Chch was always flat. They are just making it flatter!:cool:

:

not when Fletcher's has the contract.;)

Akzle
19th March 2013, 15:03
But your caravan wont provide alot of cover in such an event.

aaaaaand that's exactly the type of shit that'll be why you go thirsty. :motu:

Maha
19th March 2013, 15:07
aaaaaand that's exactly the type of shit that'll be why you go thirsty. :motu:

Rather drink my elderly neighbours wee water, than anything handled by you...:baby:

Sent from a towable two wheeler.

BigAl
20th March 2013, 07:26