PDA

View Full Version : NZSBK: Round IV from Hampton Downs, 16-17 March. Feedback?

White trash
18th March 2013, 15:59
Well it's been over for almost 24 hours and nobody has started a thread complaining yet. That's unheard of!

Three possible reasons come to mind.

1) No one went.
2) Heaps of people went, and it was such a screaming success that everyone's still drunk or speechless.
3) The Auckland Motorcycle Club have bought KB off Spankme and are carefully moderating all threads.

So what's the guts? I'm sure someone's got some comments......

merv
18th March 2013, 16:11
No matter how late the meeting ran, why did Shirriffs think he'd chase Bugden's arse off the track?

Sitting in the dry warmth of my home it was OK watching it on the 'puter even at that hour. Kept checking my dinner cooking between races.

They could have sent the muscle cars out a couple of times too because I missed the one time they did as I had to go into town for a while about then. I hear they were really good for the spectacle of the days racing.

Edbear
18th March 2013, 16:15
Well it's been over for almost 24 hours and nobody has started a thread complaining yet. That's unheard of!

Three possible reasons come to mind.

1) No one went.
2) Heaps of people went, and it was such a screaming success that everyone's still drunk or speechless.
3) The Auckland Motorcycle Club have bought KB off Spankme and are carefully moderating all threads.

So what's the guts? I'm sure someone's got some comments......

:niceone:
Sorry got nothing to grizzle about but I did start a thread called "In a class of their own!"

crazy man
18th March 2013, 16:16
they all ride like pussys;)

CHOPPA
18th March 2013, 17:06
I just didnt want to start the thread....

It was a joke but what can ya say that hasnt been said every other year?

yungatart
18th March 2013, 17:09
I just didnt want to start the thread....

It was a joke but what can ya say that hasnt been said every other year?

What part of it was funny? :baby:

Mental Trousers
18th March 2013, 17:12
I got wet .... alot. Can you fix that for next time please. Ta.

Fast Eddie
18th March 2013, 17:13
Glad livetiming/CTAS was covering it free online so we could watch... so thumbs up for that! much appreciated.

sidecars were awesome ;)

Fast Eddie
18th March 2013, 17:13
I got wet .... alot. Can you fix that for next time please. Ta.

thats what she said...

Tony.OK
18th March 2013, 17:15
What part of it was funny? :baby:

Having a meeting run so far behind, then send out Muscle cars which one of blew a trannie causing even more delays and the cutting of some poor buggars race class.

That better Trashie?

Mental Trousers
18th March 2013, 17:15
thats what she said...

At least the skin on her face and chest is silky smooth now :tugger:

RDjase
18th March 2013, 17:27
Glad livetiming/CTAS was covering it free online so we could watch... so thumbs up for that! much appreciated.

sidecars were awesome ;)

The Ctas was great, 2 cameras, Grant does a great job

Yesterday arvo it kept freeeving up tho, anyone else have problems like that, think my modem may have had enough by then

Lucky it rained to make up for no showers there, wonder if a communal sprinkler was provided by AMCC for the racers

Shorty_925
18th March 2013, 17:40
Yesterday arvo it kept freeeving up tho, anyone else have problems like that, think my modem may have had enough by then

Yep, was after 5pm when it started doing that. Between the breaks I switched it up and watched AMA Supercross, best way to fill in the gaps.

Conditions looked crap, not much they could do with that. Well done CTAS, I know i'll be watching(the few entered bikes) this weekend instead of going Taupo. Who's going to be first to forget their gate pass...:hug:

Damien_Toman
18th March 2013, 17:44
Were the muscle cars scrutineered? Are they relevant at a bike race event?

Oil on a wet track is no fun on fast bikes. The organisers/marshals made an effort to clean it up with sprays but it all took time. Fortunately the track started to dry up at that stage.

The racing was awesome - wet and dry.

Some photos with a few notes:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEnswsy

Damien

"D" FZ1
18th March 2013, 17:51
We were all set to head down until it pissed down after having no rain in weeks. Watched the delayed racing in the comfort of my lounge with a few coldys. Ctas rocks

yungatart
18th March 2013, 17:54

Lucky it rained to make up for no showers there, wonder if a communal sprinkler was provided by AMCC for the racers

Communal showers? I wish I'd gone...
Ctas froze for me a few times too, it always seemed to be the camera at Turn 2? (I think, I've never been there)

quickbuck
18th March 2013, 17:58

Yup, CTAS were great.
Saw a few naughty things that happened on the track by people who were supposed to be there to keep the riders safe too!!!!!
People running across a live track. Not a racer, nor did he have Hi-Viz, so not a cameraman, or Vollinteer.
People sitting at the outside of turn two trying to fix a bike after a bin... We all know if one went in, it is more likely a second one will too...

Bikes and sidecars appeared to be let out of pit lane too early! One ended up exactly where he would have been if he started on the grid!!!

My live video ended up about a minute behind, so I just watched the numbers for the last lap of the Supers. Grant was watching the two Hondas having a bit of a dust up though....
All in all great coverage of a meeting that could have been done so much better!

Don't get me started on Muscle cars wobbling around at a bike meeting that is running behind time!
Muscle cars look better stationary in any case.

Fast Eddie
18th March 2013, 18:31

definitely froze up a lot for me at first - almost unwatchable, I figured it was my internet speed, I plugged computer straight into modem with ethernet cable rather than go over wireless and it performed much better, definitely watchable

People running across a live track. Not a racer, nor did he have Hi-Viz, so not a cameraman, or Vollinteer.

Bikes and sidecars appeared to be let out of pit lane too early! One ended up exactly where he would have been if he started on the grid!!!

haha I saw the dude running across the live track during sidecar race. sure he was steward or some official.

definitly some early exits from pitlane! wasn't much of a penalty

quickbuck
18th March 2013, 18:44
definitely froze up a lot for me at first - almost unwatchable, I figured it was my internet speed, I plugged computer straight into modem with ethernet cable rather than go over wireless and it performed much better, definitely watchable

haha I saw the dude running across the live track during sidecar race. sure he was steward or some official.

definitly some early exits from pitlane! wasn't much of a penalty
If Official, WHERE WAS HIS JERKIN! (don't expect you to answer, just hope he owns up and realise how stupid it is!)

And darn right dangerous coming out mid pack!

CHOPPA
18th March 2013, 18:46
The biggest problem that puts everything under pressure is that bikes should be on track by 8am. Starting at 10-11am puts you 3 hours behind before you start.

Everyone is doing the best they possibly can, AMCC officials have really changed their attitudes and the atmosphere was much better than it ever has been. Graham put in a huge amount of work and to see it go down like it did I could see he was disappointed. I have been chatting with the flag marshalls and they were standing out in that weather all day and none of them are winging so I guess there is something to learn from that.

It looks to me like there needs to be a race director appointed that controls the whole event

Kickaha
18th March 2013, 18:48

Yeah Adam/Stu and Lovell/Denny started from pit lane in sidecar race 2 on Sunday, Lovell/Denny were already about second or third by the hairpin, I thought all bikes had to clear the pit exit before bikes in pitlane were let go?

quickbuck
18th March 2013, 18:49
Yeah Adam/Stu and Lovell/Denny started from pit lane in sidecar race 2 on Sunday, Lovell/Denny were already about second or third by the hairpin, I thought all bikes had to clear the pit exit before bikes in pitlane were let go?
You thought right.....
If it is Manfeild at some meetings the penalty is huge.. like Turn 3 ;)
It is incentive to make the dummy grid on time......

scrivy
18th March 2013, 18:56
It looks to me like there needs to be a race director appointed that controls the whole event

Like a Clerk of Course you mean?? ;)

scrivy
18th March 2013, 18:59

I watched on CTAS and couldn't see them on the grid, then hey presto, Aaron arrived at turn 2 in third!! Surprised no one protested.......

Now that is fucken dangerous!! Imagine T-boning someone exiting turn 1!!
The marshall at that point needed better radio contact with race control.
That situation should never happen again......

CHOPPA
18th March 2013, 19:15

I think it needs to go a bit further than that, they need to be calling all the shots saying right marshalls need to be briefed and on point by 7am, riders need to be at briefing at 7.30 etc etc. The whole event needs a supervisor that controls everything

yungatart
18th March 2013, 19:17
That is what CoC does, Choppa

sidecar bob
18th March 2013, 19:39
Id just be chuffed to bits if I didnt need to put an ezy up inside my pit garage & all the stuff up on boxes out of the 30mm of water that flooded through the roof. Thanks Nicksta for the loan of a broom.

Mental Trousers
18th March 2013, 19:53

One race on Saturday somebody had to start from pit lane (can't remember who it was or which race but I do remember he's well respected and been around the racing scene for quite a while).

The race started, the marshal in pit lane held the rider then with a huge flourish he waved GO. The rider lazily pulled his visor down, kicked it into first and ambled off do pit exit. Looked hilarious.

scrivy
18th March 2013, 20:04

3.4 Clerk of Course: The Chief Executive Official at a competition, under whose control come the following officials:
Secretary of Meeting
Starter
Judges
Timekeepers
Handicapper
Machine Examiners
Flag Marshals
Lap Scorers
Observers

Fast Eddie
18th March 2013, 20:06
3.4 Clerk of Course: The Chief Executive Official at a competition, under whose control come the following officials:
Secretary of Meeting
Starter
Judges
Timekeepers
Handicapper
Machine Examiners
Flag Marshals
Lap Scorers
Observers

ahh the old C.O.C... if they add on the persons name too it could be fun.. like for you scrivy it would be COCA.. for me it would be... err... umm..

scrivy
18th March 2013, 20:11
ahh the old C.O.C... if they add on the persons name too it could be fun.. like for you scrivy it would be COCA.. for me it would be... err... umm..

COCF ????? Lol :lol:

CHOPPA
18th March 2013, 20:18
So does the C.O.C just turn up and manage the show to the programme that is already set in place or does he organise the whole event beforehand set up the schedule etc?

yungatart
18th March 2013, 20:19
So does the C.O.C just turn up and manage the show to the programme that is already set in place or does he organise the whole event beforehand set up the schedule etc?

I dunno...ask a CoC?
I think they organise the whole thing beforehand, but don't quote me.

quickbuck
18th March 2013, 20:28
I dunno...ask a CoC?
I think they organise the whole thing beforehand, but don't quote me.

I'm pretty sure they do.... Or get one of their staff to do it.
In the case of the Nationals there may well be something else that has an influence.
Skunk will be able to tell you....
And we will see how this weekend goes :)

Maido
18th March 2013, 20:45
It looks to me like there needs to be a race director appointed that controls the whole SERIES Ninja edit

continuity is the key. Every round should be the same format. makes for more relaxed racers if they know what to expect each round.

Also if it is running late perhaps get the championship points classes out first.

yungatart
18th March 2013, 20:50
Ninja edit

continuity is the key. Every round should be the same format. makes for more relaxed racers if they know what to expect each round.

Also if it is running late perhaps get the championship points classes out first.

Each club has their own 'personality', puts their own stamp on their round, as it were.
If you are going to run identical formats at each meeting, it may as well be handed over to one club to run the series, or perhaps one in the North and another in the South.

CHOPPA
18th March 2013, 20:50
Ninja edit

That makes a lot of sense....

scrivy
18th March 2013, 21:11

When Chris and I ran the TRRS, we were both down as CoC. All info came to us, and we sorted everything. So we knew the event inside and out, and made decisions on the fly too. I thought it worked well.

SWERVE
18th March 2013, 21:25
I maybe wrong here but................. i thought the CoC is in charge of the running of the circuit/event and the staff needed to do this in accordance with each circuits individual requiements and the requirements of the governing body for such an event.. He is under the MNZ Steward who in a perfect situation has very little to do. But has authority over all to ensure that the rules of conduct & competition are upheld. He in turn can consult the chief steward who does not have to be present. The only person who can dictate to the steward is the head ambulance person in event of that senerio happening.
Im sure i will get slaughtered over this one..................

My own views...........
Why cant it start earlier (get all the briefings out the way and ready to roll as soon as the noise restraint/curfew is up) 9.00am
Stick to the advertised progam.
Stop putting mixed classes out unless you want another fatality.
Fix that bloody PA system.
By a hand held loud speaker for riders briefing (that goes for all clubs.
Oh and the cars...... when the meeting was already 2hrs late........ oil leaking bits of american shit heap V8 diesels.......there was a NZ Drag nationals down the road........ oh no they cant run when its wet (cos its bloody slippery) ....... whos F----in bright idea was that. I think the coffee vendors saw increased profits for the 10 mins theyy were on track and 1 hr it took to clean it up. GENIUS.

I think some members of FB/ AMCC are really trying to make the effort to improve and are really approachable............. but some should apply for a job at the goverment establishment over the hill where they can be paid to be an obnoixiouschestpuffingnotatallfunnytwat.
BIG well done to the flaggies and crew for standing out in the rain.

SWERVE
18th March 2013, 21:27
That makes a lot of sense....

+1 Lot of sense......

steveyb
18th March 2013, 21:40
Can anyone let me know why there were only 3 bikes in the 125GP race 2?

I saw Matty H have a huge off at T1 and was wondering/hoping he is OK.

Kickaha
18th March 2013, 21:45

Not sure of the whole story but something along the lines of them being excluded as they didn't go down and grid up on the dummy grid before their race and left from their pit sheds instead

There were some very grumpy 125 riders in pit lane

edit: see below replies, didn't realise there'd been a red flag

tail_end_charlie
18th March 2013, 21:46

From what I understand (watching/listening to CTAS) after the 1st part of the race was redflagged the riders were suppose to report directly to the dummy grid...............3 of which did, the others went to their pit area. Everyone who went to the pits was then excluded from part two of race 2 (half points were awarded for each part of the race).

I wasn't there, I'm just reporting what I heard the commentators (Spyda?) announcing.

RDjase
18th March 2013, 21:47

Think the rest got DQ for going into garages instead of staying on the dummy grid, from what i heard on Ctas, my PC was having issues by then so may be wrong

steveyb
18th March 2013, 21:51
Ah, good oh.
The feed was a bit erratic at that point for me too, so missed that bit.

Hmm, some riders need to learn the rules eh? And not just those riders either actually.

Not so good on them and a tough lesson, but I guess it has to be said, Good on the organisers for enforcing something.

sinfull
18th March 2013, 21:54
Think the rest got DQ for going into garages instead of staying on the dummy grid, from what i heard on Ctas, my PC was having issues by then so may be wrong

You think you have problems, my pc just showed the hell echo of the same reply 3 times
!

sinfull
18th March 2013, 21:59
, Good on the organisers for enforcing something.
Were they told this when exiting the track or were they expected to have the rule book on them ?
Knowing the rules is one thing but coming in under a red and being expected to know that particular one there and then when you've prob never had to before ?(ok so most have but hey)
(don't expect an answer here Steve)

Billy
18th March 2013, 22:18
Were they told this when exiting the track or were they expected to have the rule book on them ?
Knowing the rules is one thing but coming in under a red and being expected to know that particular one there and then when you've prob never had to before ?(ok so most have but hey)

Heres an answer for you anyway,Whether you wanted one or not,When you renew your licence theres a wee box that needs to be ticked,That wee box is where the applicant agrees to read and abide by the rules in the M.O.M.S,It would seem that a large number of licence holders choose to run the gauntlet and not bother to do so,Some got caught out on the weekend and some others got away with some stuff they shouldn't have.

Short answer is,If your not prepared to read the rulebook,Then you just get to suck it up when caught out,Simple really.

Maido
19th March 2013, 06:03

that is a weak arguement, I didn't know murder was illegal etc......

Does anyone know the outcome of the 600 race 2 with Jayden touching the yellow pit line? I thought he was DQ'ed nek minit he was re included. Whats the go there? I thought they were pretty clear at riders briefing about that?

FLIPTOP
19th March 2013, 07:12
I think it needs to go a bit further than that, they need to be calling all the shots saying right marshalls need to be briefed and on point by 7am, riders need to be at briefing at 7.30 etc etc. The whole event needs a supervisor that controls everything

Track Gates do not get opened until 7am so Sorry impossible

roogazza
19th March 2013, 07:35
So the meeting was a bit of a fuck up ! Who's the organiser/in charge ?
The Ctas is a welcome addition and the 600 race I saw kept me interested with a good sized field.
I miss Mylaps, are they not taking part anymore or have I missed something.

codgyoleracer
19th March 2013, 07:46
The Ctas is a welcome addition and the 600 race I saw kept me interested with a good sized field.

Yip i agree, 600s were great aye Gaz, - might get me one of those :-)
Best comment i have seen thus far is that it would have been great to have bikes on track at the time that was stated, this would have reduced a lot of pressure on everyone concerned toward the end of the day.

Keep in mind the bad luck for all concerned with the drought deciding to end itself on our big hampton day out, so i still give the club a thumbs up on pushing on as much as possible.

Billy - Are you telling me my numbers up ? :-)

roogazza
19th March 2013, 07:57
Best comment i have seen thus far is that it would have been great to have bikes on track at the time that was stated, this would have reduced a lot of pressure on everyone concerned toward the end of the day.

Keep in mind the bad luck for all concerned with the drought deciding to end itself on our big hampton day out, so i still give the club a thumbs up on pushing on as much as possible.

Hey, saw you too on the CTAS, you looked pretty and cleared off giving them a lesson.:love: :cool:

CHOPPA
19th March 2013, 08:11
Heres an answer for you anyway,Whether you wanted one or not,When you renew your licence theres a wee box that needs to be ticked,That wee box is where the applicant agrees to read and abide by the rules in the M.O.M.S,It would seem that a large number of licence holders choose to run the gauntlet and not bother to do so,Some got caught out on the weekend and some others got away with some stuff they shouldn't have.

Short answer is,If your not prepared to read the rulebook,Then you just get to suck it up when caught out,Simple really.

In the event of a red flag when the race is to be fully restarted are bikes allowed to be refueled? I could check the rule book but this could help others too

Could the marshals not be briefed at the apartments then head straight to the marshal points when the track is opened?

I was only using times as an example btw

Billy
19th March 2013, 08:26

I organised the series but the C.O.C has control of the meeting and I have NO jurisdiction on the day,There was a set format that was supposed to be run at EVERY round,So far only one club has bothered to run to that schedule,Time for a change me thinks.

Dave-
19th March 2013, 08:28
Was there a bit of drama llama around Jaden Hassan and the pit entry?

Billy
19th March 2013, 08:31
In the event of a red flag when the race is to be fully restarted are bikes allowed to be refueled? I could check the rule book but this could help others too

Sorry mate,Not having a stab at you,But its not my job to explain to all and sundry the entire rulebook,As I stated earlier,Its part of the contract all licence holders enter into when applying for a licence,Those that haven't should return their licence forthwith as it is null and void due to their inability to fulfill their part of that agreement,Best get reading

Billy
19th March 2013, 08:33

No OLD MAN,Your numbers not up,Theyre just not in the right place,You should get one of those green 6 hundies I reckon:banana:

SWERVE
19th March 2013, 09:26

Not impossible......... just open them earlier.

roogazza
19th March 2013, 09:45
I organised the series but the C.O.C has control of the meeting and I have NO jurisdiction on the day,There was a set format that was supposed to be run at EVERY round,So far only one club has bothered to run to that schedule,Time for a change me thinks.

I'm sure you're onto it. Maybe the C.O.C. needs a hand ?
(and a debrief). Sometimes you're just up against it and everything fails.
I recall the best organised meet I went to in about 1973 BC at Levin where all classes on the day got 5 races ! as well as the usual practice, crashes etc. Fine weather of course.
Rd 5 will have the benefit of hindsight and run like clockwork.

sidecar bob
19th March 2013, 10:26
Maybe the C.O.C. needs a hand ?

Great idea, We should have a mass debate about that one.

scrivy
19th March 2013, 10:55
Great idea, We should have a mass debate about that one.

But with all the rain, the biscuit might turn soggy........

Oh hang on............... Nodrog will be along to munch on it.........

Gremlin
19th March 2013, 16:28
Does anyone know the outcome of the 600 race 2 with Jayden touching the yellow pit line? I thought he was DQ'ed nek minit he was re included. Whats the go there? I thought they were pretty clear at riders briefing about that?
He crossed the blend line, so got whatever penalty it is. He protested, explaining he lost the rear end and was more concerned with getting the bike back under control then a painted line. His explanation was accepted.

malcy25
19th March 2013, 21:18
Okay, so some car dropping it's lunch is not a great thing and delayed proceedings. That was about lunch time. But let's also look at some of the other delays that were AFTER this and not any fault of the club.

Off the top of my head there was the 125 restart and the time associated with the tending to the fallen rider Any other race stoppages ? (I can't recall was busy on some other stuff so missed some races)

There was also a delay for a period of time to let the track drain there was so much water on it (30 minutes IIRC).

The first one the riders have an element of control over (ie don't fall off, and there's no delays...the choice is yours!)

The second is climate and I have yet to find a way to control that!

Years ago when I was setting programming times at Puke, we ran races on the basis of 2 minutes per lap (noting superbikes are sub 1 minute) to account for all the screwing about with red flags, ambulances, pick ups, restarts, etc etc.

So what I'm saying is, the programme probably had the room it needed to run everything and even at lunchtimish, it probably still did. But things happen which can blow it out even when you have contingency time.

CHOPPA
19th March 2013, 22:06
Okay, so some car dropping it's lunch is not a great thing and delayed proceedings. That was about lunch time. But let's also look at some of the other delays that were AFTER this and not any fault of the club.

Off the top of my head there was the 125 restart and the time associated with the tending to the fallen rider Any other race stoppages ? (I can't recall was busy on some other stuff so missed some races)

There was also a delay for a period of time to let the track drain there was so much water on it (30 minutes IIRC).

The first one the riders have an element of control over (ie don't fall off, and there's no delays...the choice is yours!)

The second is climate and I have yet to find a way to control that!

Years ago when I was setting programming times at Puke, we ran races on the basis of 2 minutes per lap (noting superbikes are sub 1 minute) to account for all the screwing about with red flags, ambulances, pick ups, restarts, etc etc.

So what I'm saying is, the programme probably had the room it needed to run everything and even at lunchtimish, it probably still did. But things happen which can blow it out even when you have contingency time.

So your saying starting earlier would solve the problem? I like your thinking!

FLIPTOP
19th March 2013, 22:28
[QUOTE=Billy;1130518094]I organised the series but the C.O.C has control of the meeting and I have NO jurisdiction on the day,There was a set format that was supposed to be run at EVERY round,So far only one club has bothered to run to that schedule,Time for a change me thinks.[/QUOTE

Sorry reply on wrong post!!
This was supposed to go on the one that suggested Marshals should be briefed outside the track.
Flags need to go to start finish lines and onto all points. Uniforms and Flags are transported to every meeting. They do not load and unload themselves. Radios need to be issued from Hampton Control and tested. 31 Flag Marshals are required at The Hampton Downs Track. Marshals are out on the track waiting before riders even have a briefing and still out there after your class is finished and you are going home. Remember they are all volunteers. Some even take Days off work giving up holidays to marshal for all the racers out there. You would be surprised how long some of them drive to get there and at what hour they get up to be there by seven. Some riders have Marshaled to help out when their bikes are broken or only do track days or club days which is Fantastic. If every Racer Marshaled for nearly three days in a row they would probably appreciate how much organisation and dedication is involved. Remember without Marshals there would be no racing.

nodrog
20th March 2013, 07:33
Sorry reply on wrong post!!
This was supposed to go on the one that suggested Marshals should be briefed outside the track.
Flags need to go to start finish lines and onto all points. Uniforms and Flags are transported to every meeting. They do not load and unload themselves. Radios need to be issued from Hampton Control and tested. 31 Flag Marshals are required at The Hampton Downs Track. Marshals are out on the track waiting before riders even have a briefing and still out there after your class is finished and you are going home. Remember they are all volunteers. Some even take Days off work giving up holidays to marshal for all the racers out there. You would be surprised how long some of them drive to get there and at what hour they get up to be there by seven. Some riders have Marshaled to help out when their bikes are broken or only do track days or club days which is Fantastic. If every Racer Marshaled for nearly three days in a row they would probably appreciate how much organisation and dedication is involved. Remember without Marshals there would be no racing.

Yeah I agree, thats sounds heaps harder and way more work than carting a race bike around the country and racing it.

FLIPTOP
20th March 2013, 07:45
Yeah I agree, thats sounds heaps harder and way more work than carting a race bike around the country and racing it.

I am married to a Racer so yes I know what is involved. What I was getting at is that some people seem to be suggesting that Marshals should be out on the track almost when its still dark waiting on the racers. If most racers turned up on the Dummy Grid on time over the weekend that would of sped things up a lot. I say most as some did get there and were waiting. If they had sent the few out waiting and closed the pits 3/4 of each race would of been starting in pit lane. That would have made happy racers but then they could learn the hard way about being on time.

Maido
20th March 2013, 08:27
He crossed the blend line, so got whatever penalty it is. He protested, explaining he lost the rear end and was more concerned with getting the bike back under control then a painted line. His explanation was accepted.

hmm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/562250_10200599831213636_50165381_n.jpg

SWERVE
20th March 2013, 08:34
When i started in the sport as a Marshall back in 1980. We had to be at track no later than 6.00am. Scrutinneering for ALL bikes started at 6.00am. And you would be working /checking bikes while it was dark. Mind you we did then get a hot breakfast provided at 7.30/7.45 and bikes were always on track no later than 9.00. And after we packed up we would hang around to chat to the riders in the clubrooms. And they really appreciated the job we done. It was a 16/17 hr day by the time you got back home.
Everyones gone soft............. and the appreciation for those who help the event run is not as forthcoming.

SWERVE
20th March 2013, 08:35
hmm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/562250_10200599831213636_50165381_n.jpg

Mmmmmm indeed ;)

scrivy
20th March 2013, 08:38
hmm

I see where you're going with this....... as he is still on the line, he technically did not cross it...... :lol::clap::clap::2thumbsup

Maido
20th March 2013, 08:42
I see where you're going with this....... as he is still on the line, he technically did not cross it...... :lol::clap::clap::2thumbsup

I only put the picture up, I made no comment....... :cool: :)

sidecar bob
20th March 2013, 09:08

Not sure why you would want to ride on it anyway. Its slippery as shit, as Cam Donald demonstrated.

codgyoleracer
20th March 2013, 10:19
Not sure why you would want to ride on it anyway. Its slippery as shit, as Cam Donald demonstrated.

Cameron Donald ?, whos he ?, - oh yeah he's the one that flogged my lap record........... (bugger).

Beutifull bit of kit that bike and bloody well ridden aye. It always had a crowd around it - Usually more than alll the other machines there...............

Kiwi Graham
20th March 2013, 10:21
Friday and Saturday ran like clockwork with the prospect of some fantastic lap times and records being broken but Sunday dawned in a very different way.

A meeting between Supersport and Superbike riders saw the TT laps to be reduced by five. A little disappointing because the entry form including lap distance had been out for months prior to the event but many had only just realised the distance and hadn’t tested for this. The TT is a prestigious event and as such should have the recognition it deserves so please note TT’s will be a longer race in future (weather permitting)

After months of dry settled blue sky weather we were delt with the obvious prospect of rain and lots of it.

With this in mind we pushed the start time earlier than planned only to be met with the rain 5 mins before scrub was due to start. So straight away we were met with an enforced delay for tyre changing and then a wet meeting was declared.

The club has for years been restricted with a start time and this mind set will be changed because no restriction is in place at HD. Time saved at the beginning of a meeting can pay dividends at the end.

Scrub went ok but for a few offs requiring recovery….more delays.

The Supersport race probably had the worst of the rain and as a result a fair few competitors ended up as spectators with the result of further delays for recovery of several bikes.
The sidecars were next out on a sodden track and showed amazing machine control having obvious problems of maintaining grip even in a straight line.
The 125’s and proddie 250’s showed us some close racing all day and another Aussie Cameron showed the Posties the way home on one of Ken’s beautifully prepared Suzuki McIntosh’s.

We (AMCC) are trying to make this event more than just another bike race. To this end we are trying to appeal to other factions of the population ie other petrol heads, mum and the kids. The weather clearly put pay to the children’s entertainment section plus the fact who would want to attend a rain sodden race circuit with soaking wet children. Nic Kroeze the stunt rider was stood down due to the delays and although he was more than willing to do his thing the show wouldn’t have been so spectacular due to the conditions. Trade stands and the Helecopter rides understandibly didn't make it for obvious resaons. The Muscle cars (some people came to see them) did go out for a reduced number of laps but unfortunately and very disappointingly for both me and their club one of the cars transmissions leaked some tranny fluid and on the wet surface looked far worse than it was. Clean up took about half an hour…..more delays.

The decision was made to reduce race distances and cut lap times to ensure the programme could be completed. Further delays in getting competitors to the dummy grid in a timely fashion and red flag incidents and machine recovery meant the young guns in the Development class had their race cancelled and I felt so bad for the other young class the GP125’s several of them were excluded from the restart of their TT because of a basic mistake in what to do following a red flag incident, the side car crews were onto it during their race, I guess experience will tell and they will know for next time.

The Superbike TT was spectacular, a first Superbike win for Dennis, a shower of sparks from Nick and a friend in the sand pit for Craig (sorry mate but at least the gap has closed a little).

I asked at the beginning of riders briefing for your ideas, Sloan was the only one to see me during the day with an idea (thanks mate) but I’m still keen for others.

We all know Hampton Downs is a difficult venue regarding the quality of the PA, we have tried to do our bit by providing a number board on the balcony of race control. So if you can’t hear the PA make sure someone is keeping an eye on this board. Your race will appear on it 5 mins before you are due out or get a radio in your pits and tune it to 106’8 and you will hear the call. All of this was either in the event info sent to you advertised and/or raised during briefing.

So to improve the day apart form dry weather for all of us;

Start the day earlier
Read the SR’s
Know the rules
Keep a close eye on when you’re due on circuit via number board, radio as well as the poor P/A
Don’t crash requiring recovery (the two Kawaski’s managed it ;))

I'm pretty thick skinned so give me your thoughts either in reply, pm, email or ring me..........I just want to make this event the best we can.

Good luck to Andrew and the crew for next weekend and everyone racing I'll see you their on Sunday.

jellywrestler
25th March 2013, 19:50

Lucky it rained to make up for no showers there, wonder if a communal sprinkler was provided by AMCC for the racers there were plenty of showers there, every apartment had one and I'm sure you one could've asked someone else for access, the club would've taken a huge hit with the weather they didn't need to add $2k to that for showers for a few people really

jellywrestler
25th March 2013, 19:52
Were the muscle cars scrutineered? Are they relevant at a bike race event?

the club put in a lot of effort to add some flavour in the pits, good on them for doing that, shame it backfired on em...

jellywrestler
25th March 2013, 19:59

same reason there were so many riders after crashing rode back to the pits, they don't know the rules.....

jellywrestler
25th March 2013, 20:10
nice to have a comedians opinion, The Red flag is one of the most vital safety features at a track, if you don't know and understand the red flag and the rules, and what to do around it then you need to take a good hard look at yourself.

jellywrestler
25th March 2013, 20:14
I'm sure you're onto it. Maybe the C.O.C. needs a hand ?
(and a debrief). Sometimes you're just up against it and everything fails.
I recall the best organised meet I went to in about 1973 BC at Levin where all classes on the day got 5 races ! as well as the usual practice, crashes etc. Fine weather of course.
Rd 5 will have the benefit of hindsight and run like clockwork.
the nats at levels about five yr ago were over by 2.30 pm, I was a little flyblown by the time prize giving came along.....

jellywrestler
25th March 2013, 20:18
When i started in the sport as a Marshall back in 1980. We had to be at track no later than 6.00am. Scrutinneering for ALL bikes started at 6.00am. And you would be working /checking bikes while it was dark. Mind you we did then get a hot breakfast provided at 7.30/7.45 and bikes were always on track no later than 9.00. And after we packed up we would hang around to chat to the riders in the clubrooms. And they really appreciated the job we done. It was a 16/17 hr day by the time you got back home.
Everyones gone soft............. and the appreciation for those who help the event run is not as forthcoming.

the first Isle of man TT's started at 3 AM !!!!

Damien_Toman
25th March 2013, 20:27
the club put in a lot of effort to add some flavour in the pits, good on them for doing that, shame it backfired on em...

Yes, if the track had not been oiled by the muscle cars (likely a factor in Bugden and Shirriffs going down) and if everything had been running well within time, they would have been appreciated by more people.

craignzcd
25th March 2013, 20:34
dont think any oil had any effect on those 2...they were pushing really hard and by the looks in the pics i took robby just leant over a bit too far....and craigs was probably and a reaction one seeing robby going down in front of him.....

craignzcd
25th March 2013, 20:36
a few shots of the slide....

jellywrestler
25th March 2013, 20:56
Yes, if the track had not been oiled by the muscle cars (likely a factor in Bugden and Shirriffs going down) and if everything had been running well within time, they would have been appreciated by more people.

doubt it caused their crash, to me i think they both were on the hard charge and may have not had the tyre compound bang on for the conditions as track temperature was changing????

GD66
25th March 2013, 21:08
We all know Hampton Downs is a difficult venue regarding the quality of the PA, we have tried to do our bit by providing a number board on the balcony of race control. So if you can’t hear the PA make sure someone is keeping an eye on this board. Your race will appear on it 5 mins before you are due out or get a radio in your pits and tune it to 106’8 and you will hear the call. All of this was either in the event info sent to you advertised and/or raised during briefing.

So to improve the day apart form dry weather for all of us;

Start the day earlier
Read the SR’s
Know the rules
Keep a close eye on when you’re due on circuit via number board, radio as well as the poor P/A
Don’t crash requiring recovery (the two Kawaski’s managed it ;))

I am a level 3 (State championship level) Clerk of Course and Steward in Perth, and in running meetings with 14 practice/qual sessions and 21 races, probably the most effective means of preventing time loss due to riders dawdling to the grid is the use of a siren. First call is two minutes until the opening of pit road for the next event, then another siren with 30 seconds to go until pit road is opened. After the field is released on their warmup lap, the pit road is kept open for 30 seconds : if a rider dawdles down after the 30 seconds, they start the race by a flag from pit road after the field has passed. Strangely enough, you get very few repeat offenders with this system !
And don't worry if there isn't a siren amongst the PA setup, it's easy enough to run your own system off a car battery that's plenty strong enpugh to be heard all round the pits. Kiwi racers who have raced in Aussie will already bear testament to the efficiency of this system.
Regarding the red flag protocol, riders sign off on the supp regs when they enter the meeting, and again when they sign on on race day, this means they agree to run under the rules as set, so there is NO argument when they transgress in a red flag situation. It helps if the CoC emphasises the procedure at riders' briefing if there is likely to be confusion amongst slow learners. It's not a sign of weakness to spend twenty minutes reading and learning the supp regs for a meeting : as I've outlined elsewhere on the forum, to have all the rules on a string means you can get on with the complex business of running your day's race programme in a calm and organised way. :calm:

Damien_Toman
25th March 2013, 21:10
a few shots of the slide....

Great shots Craig.

I mentioned the oil being a factor as another rider commented on losing the back-end at the same spot as it was more slippery than normal - he held it and took it easier in the following laps. That was also after the muscle cars. I could actually see the oil on the track at "Barrel51" corner without moving from my position. Tell-tale multi-coloured trails on the damp track - about a foot wide in places - right on the racing line.

Damien

yungatart
25th March 2013, 21:15
Great shots Craig.

I mentioned the oil being a factor as another rider commented on losing the back-end at the same spot as it was more slippery than normal - he held it and took it easier in the following laps. That was also after the muscle cars. I could actually see the oil on the track at "Barrel51" corner without moving from my position. Tell-tale multi-coloured trails on the damp track - about a foot wide in places - right on the racing line.

Damien

Did you think to talk to an official about that? Perhaps pass it on to a flaggie so they could pass on your observations to an official, on your behalf?

Or just bleat on about it on kb after the fact?

Damien_Toman
25th March 2013, 21:23
Did you think to talk to an official about that? Perhaps pass it on to a flaggie so they could pass on your observations to an official, on your behalf?

Or just bleat on about it on kb after the fact?

I immediately pointed it out to the marshals' who then got on the radio. Soon the clean-up team arrived at Barrel51 and sprayed the oil. They also wisely delayed racing as it was drying up. I'm not sure about the rest of the track though I overheard that the whole track had been affected. Think before you accuse. I am a racer from way back and would never hesitate to point out safety issues.

Damien

Gremlin
26th March 2013, 01:20
That was also after the muscle cars. I could actually see the oil on the track at "Barrel51" corner without moving from my position. Tell-tale multi-coloured trails on the damp track - about a foot wide in places - right on the racing line.
It looked far worse than it really was. With the track being wet, the small drops of oil bloomed, resulting in large patches, that, to my testing by foot, were no different to the rest of the track. Sure, nothing like a 200hp superbike, but I've stepped on proper patches before, and that's seriously slippery. The track staff had some sort of mixture that resulted in the patch disappearing before your eyes.

There was quite an issue on T2, with water (carrying mud) flowing down the track into the apex, and that consumed time as we tried to wash it off the track and stop more flowing down...

Damien_Toman
26th March 2013, 17:15
It looked far worse than it really was. With the track being wet, the small drops of oil bloomed, resulting in large patches, that, to my testing by foot, were no different to the rest of the track. Sure, nothing like a 200hp superbike, but I've stepped on proper patches before, and that's seriously slippery. The track staff had some sort of mixture that resulted in the patch disappearing before your eyes.

There was quite an issue on T2, with water (carrying mud) flowing down the track into the apex, and that consumed time as we tried to wash it off the track and stop more flowing down...

Thanks for that clarification, Gremlin. I understand about the drops of oil "blooming" - well described. The guys with the spray certainly did a good job at Barrel51/Hairpin and as the track dried there was no visible sign of oil from where I was - a relief too, I must say.

Interestingly, at turn 3 (over the small hill), Robbie seemed to lose the back end under power, while Craig definitely lost the front. I still feel that residue from the cars was a likely factor, especially hearing a comment from another rider about how unusually slippery it was. Did they also spray that area?

Damien

Gremlin
26th March 2013, 17:30
Interestingly, at turn 3 (over the small hill), Robbie seemed to lose the back end under power, while Craig definitely lost the front. I still feel that residue from the cars was a likely factor, especially hearing a comment from another rider about how unusually slippery it was. Did they also spray that area?
The boys (while not at the front) were pushing on (Robbie came off at T4 on Saturday during qualifying), and I think they simply ran out of grip (Craig could comment more, but he was possibly unbalanced by Robbie coming off). There is a bump in the middle of that corner (the racers probably know it far better) and the bike gets light over the crest. I would suspect the corner more if more were having issues, but it didn't appear so.

I found the track didn't feel very grippy to me when it was wet (honestly impressed how they can keep 200hp gripping the tarmac), but it was far from ideal hot conditions. Large blooms were sprayed throughout the corner. We have to balance treating issues against the treatment itself affecting grip.

Damien_Toman
26th March 2013, 18:34
The boys (while not at the front) were pushing on (Robbie came off at T4 on Saturday during qualifying), and I think they simply ran out of grip (Craig could comment more, but he was possibly unbalanced by Robbie coming off). There is a bump in the middle of that corner (the racers probably know it far better) and the bike gets light over the crest. I would suspect the corner more if more were having issues, but it didn't appear so.

I found the track didn't feel very grippy to me when it was wet (honestly impressed how they can keep 200hp gripping the tarmac), but it was far from ideal hot conditions. Large blooms were sprayed throughout the corner. We have to balance treating issues against the treatment itself affecting grip.

Good information Gremlin. Yes, I have felt the lightness of the bike over the hill, even on a bucket! (I know, you can laugh :killingme). I saw Robbie go down at turn 4 (Austins) the day before - doing what he does - on the limit and sometimes just over. It would be good to hear from Craig and Robbie. Robbie certainly was incredibly fast over that hill the day before - the fastest I've ever seen. But, he did not slide or have any problems until Sunday evening. Yes, the cooling temperatures (as jellywrestler suggested) could have been a factor and Craig may have been distracted by Robbie going down.

suzuki21
26th March 2013, 18:55
dont think any oil had any effect on those 2...they were pushing really hard and by the looks in the pics i took robby just leant over a bit too far....and craigs was probably and a reaction one seeing robby going down in front of him.....

He remembers last time Robbie went down in front of him and maybe got a little excited.