PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Suzuki Savage LS650 clutch stuck after unrelated repairs

giro
20th March 2013, 15:59
Hi, doubtless the answer is up here somewhere, but 2 hrs searching the forum on dialup proved fruitless last night.

Just finished expensive repairs to the starter clutch & also replaced the starter motor with a new one. She's been standing in the garage for 3 weeks without oil while I did the work. Filled her up with oil & went to walk her outside & being in gear, I pulled the clutch in & nothing happened.

Rocked back & forth in 1st gear & still stuck. Went to start her up to see if that freed the clutch but all I get is a fluttering noise behind the ignition switch. Guess that's the solenoid.

I take the (sealed) battery out & it measures 12.7V so trickle charged overnight & came up to a little over 14V. Also pulled the clutch grip in & tied it to the handlebars overnight.

Clutch didn't free up overnight. Replaced battery & same solenoid noise when trying to start.

I'm completely stumped. Hope someone has been in the same boat & has some ideas.
Thanks.

FJRider
20th March 2013, 17:29
Maybe ... you didn't spend enough on the starter.

As it wont start the bike. Sort the starter out first.

giro
20th March 2013, 17:35
Maybe ... you didn't spend enough on the starter.

As it wont start the bike. Sort the starter out first.

OK- I'll do that 1st thing in the morning.

Akzle
20th March 2013, 17:44
got a bit of slope? crash start the bitch. (in second)

that should narrow it down.

The Lone Rider
20th March 2013, 17:46
If you get stuck, I can come have a looksy one day.

giro
20th March 2013, 18:01
OK- I'll do that 1st thing in the morning.

Couldn't wait.
Bloody starter doesn't run! Same solenoid sound. Shit it! New off ebay & it is a 'brandless' type.

Akzle - will attempt that down the track with a mate. (no skiing slopes round here)

Lone Rider - Grateful for that. I'd better see how i go..........

giro
20th March 2013, 18:09
Couldn't wait.
Bloody starter doesn't run! Same solenoid sound. Shit it! New off ebay & it is a 'brandless' type.

Akzle - will attempt that down the track with a mate. (no skiing slopes round here)

Lone Rider - Grateful for that. I'd better see how i go..........

Should I test the starter on my van battery to make sure?

FJRider
20th March 2013, 19:39
Couldn't wait.
Bloody starter doesn't run! Same solenoid sound.

Maybe it is the solenoid .. ??

giro
21st March 2013, 08:53
If you get stuck, I can come have a looksy one day.

Hi LR,
yeah,. ....to have a yarn would be good. Ph is 3820115. Whenever it suits you, & thanks.

giro
25th March 2013, 15:39
Clutch is unstuck & starter working & I'm ridin' again. Thanks everyone.

FJRider
25th March 2013, 16:26
Clutch is unstuck & starter working & I'm ridin' again. Thanks everyone.

What was the problem with the starter .. ???

giro
25th March 2013, 17:14
What was the problem with the starter .. ???

Its been a really hot day in ChCh today & my face is just glowing from all the heat. A simple wiring inadequacy.