PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate GN125 custom race-tastic project!

Hardstyle-haz
23rd March 2013, 02:56
Hi, my name is Haz. I'm new to the biker forums and thought I would share my lunacy with you all!

I am in the process of creating the most spectacular GN125 in New Zealand.

So far, I have replaced the handlebars with a straight bar which made all the difference to begin the project. I proceeded to put some chrome skull mirrors on the normal mounts. (gotta have something tough on there haha!) I have also removed: the back mud guard, the chain guard and some other little bits n bobs.
Because the number plate, indicators and brake/number plate light were originally mounted to the back mud guard, I have made a cool black plate of Aluminium that holds a fancy new LED rear brake light/number plate light, and my new slimmed N trimmed number plate.

My current further intentions:

Tomorrow I am to chop and weld the exhaust of an FXR 150 onto the exhaust tubing (has anyone ever put any different exhausts on these bikes before? How did it go?)

I will be changing all of the indicators to led ones. I am keeping the original headlight but painting it black.

Here's my biggest mind boggle!!!
I am intending to replace the current wheels (18' front 16' rear) with 2 x wide rim 17's... I am trying to go as wide as possible without needing to change the swing arm. It is drum brakes also and I don't know if I want to do a disk conversion.... Does anyone have any cool ideas on how I could get some awesome wide rim sport wheels on there without butchering or changing the swing arm?

I know I'm nuts, but I hope some of you other folk are also like me and love doing stuff that some may interpret as ridiculous :)

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say :)

Kickaha
23rd March 2013, 05:24
I am in the process of creating the most spectacular GN125 in New Zealand.
Too late I beat you to it
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=196080&d=1265964407

Find yourself a complete GSXR250 front end, that way you'll get better forks and the 17 inch wheel with good brakes

Drum brake early VTR250 17 rear wheel will let you retain the drum rear and probably be a bit easier to fit than a disc you'll just need someone who can make you up some spacers to line it up

Hardstyle-haz
23rd March 2013, 17:29
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=196080&d=1265964407

Find yourself a complete GSXR250 front end, that way you'll get better forks and the 17 inch wheel with good brakes

Drum brake early VTR250 17 rear wheel will let you retain the drum rear and probably be a bit easier to fit than a disc you'll just need someone who can make you up some spacers to line it up

Awesome! I'm guessing you race it as a bucket? Mine is a little more of a road rager, but that is a REALLY awesome Gn125! I tip my hat to you sir!

I have been tryin to find some awesome swap outs for wheels/front ends and you have helped me immensely! I will be checking out your suggestions next week. On the hunt for a front end for sure as I already need new shocks and will just slap my current bars on there :)

I will post pictures soon :)

archie-no2
23rd March 2013, 19:15
i have a pair of gj74a forks that may do the job, and if you buy a front rim off a gj77a off trademe it will fit and be wider profile, you can have the old disc im replacing off my gj77a too.

ducatilover
24th March 2013, 07:46
Got pics dude?

I think you can manage a 140 inside the GN swingarm, so rim choices are somewhat limited unless you have spoked wheels.
Plenty of late 80's and early 90's machines running small rears though, ZZR250, VTRs etc

Sent from a jar of nuts

Hardstyle-haz
3rd May 2013, 15:18

Is that the standard gn125 carb too? How does it go as a bucket? how much horse do you get out of that thing?

Kickaha
3rd May 2013, 15:29
Is that the standard gn125 carb too? How does it go as a bucket? how much horse do you get out of that thing?
28 flatslide off a DR200, it currently has 15rwhp @ 11000rpm, but has a short stroke crank and 9mm overbore to take it to 157cc

First race with this engine is next weekend so I'll have a better idea how it goes after then

Hardstyle-haz
3rd May 2013, 15:35
i have a pair of gj74a forks that may do the job, and if you buy a front rim off a gj77a off trademe it will fit and be wider profile, you can have the old disc im replacing off my gj77a too.

gj77 is a suzuki bandit right? What are you wanting for the forks?

Hardstyle-haz
3rd May 2013, 15:37
28 flatslide off a DR200, it currently has 15rwhp @ 11000rpm, but has a short stroke crank and 9mm overbore to take it to 157cc

First race with this engine is next weekend so I'll have a better idea how it goes after then

Wouldn't happen to be at Mount Welly would it?
If so, i will also be there :)
Would love to have a look! will probably bring my GN125 along too

Kickaha
3rd May 2013, 18:22
Would love to have a look! will probably bring my GN125 along too
Then you'll have to ride it to Christchurch as the racing is at Ruapuna

Pumba
4th May 2013, 08:11

I know Kicks forks above are GJ72a. I think from there on in Suzuki went to a longer steering stem on the GJ (and VJ) models. Annoying really as they used the same head bearings on most of those models.

Just might be worth keeping in mind before you buy anything that doesn't fit (like I may have done with a set of VJ22 forks in the shed :/).

Kickaha
4th May 2013, 09:10
I know Kicks forks above are GJ72a. I think from there on in Suzuki went to a longer steering stem on the GJ (and VJ) models.
I need another set or something similar if anyone has some, I think the stem wasn't long enough to work,when we did that conversion the guy I gave it to just took the stem out of the GN bottom clamp and put it into the GSXR250 bottom clamp with a GN tapered roller bearing kit

Pumba
4th May 2013, 11:18
Well there we go. Maybe the longer head stem from the later forks would just bolt up and work without modification

Oh and Kick I might know where there might be a set of VJ21 conventional forks. Not sure if my mate threw them out during his house move last year (pretty sure the frame got scrapped), will ask if as I am trying to get a few other parts out his shed at the moment.

Kickaha
4th May 2013, 13:57
Oh and Kick I might know where there might be a set of VJ21 conventional forks. .

If they've got the top and bottom clamps with them I could be interested, I know it's hardly possible but I'm going to build an even more awesome GN

Hardstyle-haz
7th May 2013, 10:13
Here's what it is looking like so far. still a long way to go but it's coming along. Will be looking spectacular right before i condemn it as a road bike :)

Hardstyle-haz
7th May 2013, 10:24

If its 157cc how do you race it in buckets?

Kickaha
7th May 2013, 17:59
If its 157cc how do you race it in buckets?

There is an allowance for overbores to 158.09cc

Hardstyle-haz
9th May 2013, 14:36
There is an allowance for overbores to 158.09cc

Nice one :) JUST in the margin!