PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Posties

Spazman727
25th March 2013, 11:41
Hi,
are there any other motorcycle posties on here?

I know there is a thread for former and current motorbike couriers, but I can't find one for posties.

Murray
25th March 2013, 11:51
Ikiebikie does it part time, when not team leader, when not delivery support, when not postie

awa355
25th March 2013, 15:43
I did a Petes Post run for a few months back in 2006 in Tauranga. I loved it. No money in it but it got me away from looking after my elderly father for a spell each day. I rode a Vento 50, a clone of a Yamaha.

Funny, I find this thread today after talking to the local DX mail guy. He's covering Te Awamutu using a supplied ex Aussie cx 110 postie bike.

Road kill
25th March 2013, 16:22
One of my younger sisters did it in Tokoroa around 1980.
Ran up the arse of a parked car on day three an has pretty much not liked bikes since,,,:facepalm::laugh:

Damantis
25th March 2013, 16:33
Does that mean I can go hooning on the footpath? I've always wondered how the law covers those who do this work. I guess nobody will find out till someones Nana is knocked over or something. I remember many years ago, I drove a security vehicle throufg a Pedestrian Mall delivering cash etc and was told that if I hit anyone, it was at my own risk and would probably face careless driving etc. Has there been any test cases in this regard?

Spazman727
25th March 2013, 16:45
Does that mean I can go hooning on the footpath? I've always wondered how the law covers those who do this work. I guess nobody will find out till someones Nana is knocked over or something. I remember many years ago, I drove a security vehicle throufg a Pedestrian Mall delivering cash etc and was told that if I hit anyone, it was at my own risk and would probably face careless driving etc. Has there been any test cases in this regard?

You didn't hear it from me, but in NZ Posties aren't allowed to ride on the foot path, In Aus they are but not here cause some idiot didn't put in the paperwork to the Govt or something.

awa355
25th March 2013, 17:14
You didn't hear it from me, but in NZ Posties aren't allowed to ride on the foot path, In Aus they are but not here cause some idiot didn't put in the paperwork to the Govt or something.

Yes they can. The DX mail chap I talked to today showed me his card showing authorisation to ride on the footpath. This law was changed just recently.

Spazman727
25th March 2013, 18:46
Yes they can. The DX mail chap I talked to today showed me his card showing authorisation to ride on the footpath. This law was changed just recently.

NZ Post posties can't. I'm one and I'm not (legally) allowed to.

awa355
8th April 2013, 14:41
Finally came across the local DX postie. This is his exemption which DX applied for. The postie said this is quite new. 281115

wysper
8th April 2013, 14:55
Finally came across the local DX postie. This is his exemption which DX applied for. The postie said this is quite new.

Looks like it was knocked up on a computer at home. :niceone::devil2:

awa355
8th April 2013, 15:12
That was my first thought as well There's no official wording or stamping on it. If I could be bothered, I could ask the local cops. Might do that if I come across one.

willytheekid
8th April 2013, 15:13
Looks like it was knocked up on a computer at home. :niceone::devil2:

At a guess, he carries that "knocked up" form to show to the police, so they can then check with base regarding the actual law for posties etc riding on the footpath...most cops may not know this is actually legal.
I carry a council paper that clearly shows the law in regads to bus lanes in ChCh, and the fact that I am legally!, alowed to ride in them...and I have had to use it on one occasion...no drama, cop and his mate read the paper, nodded, and said "Well, that clears that up!...you have a nice day":niceone:
cops are people too, and they can't be expected to remember every little law change etc, so why not carry something with you to assist both them, and your self!

smart DX man :yes:

bosslady
8th April 2013, 18:47
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/whole.html

Footpaths
2.13 Driving along footpath

(1) A driver must not drive a motor vehicle along a footpath.

(2) Subclause (1) does not apply to a person who rides a moped or motorcycle on a footpath in the course of delivering newspapers, mail, or printed material to letter boxes if the road controlling authority has authorised the use of the footpath for that purpose.

Compare: SR 1976/227 r 14

Clause 2.13(2): added, on 1 November 2009, by clause 9 of the Land Transport (Road User) Amendment Rule 2009 (SR 2009/253).

Spazman727
9th April 2013, 19:14
Ha, well that will make my job a bit easier. the NZ Post motorcycle trainer said that we can't ride on the footpath, as do the few other motorcycle posties at my branch.

nzspokes
9th April 2013, 19:17
Ha, well that will make my job a bit easier. the NZ Post motorcycle trainer said that we can't ride on the footpath, as do the few other motorcycle posties at my branch.

Is that still Adele doing the training?

Shes good people.

Mo NZ
10th April 2013, 08:14
The DX guy could at least have the right Act, year and a section. Its garbage.

Murray
10th April 2013, 15:00

I think you will find its when they are returning from delivery that they are not allowed to use footpath. And I also think its the same for the pushbike