PDA

View Full Version : So this is what happened to chappys bike at the Taupo round of the Nationals

neil_cb125t
25th March 2013, 20:09
You tube clip attached - seems that a slipper clutch was needed......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8MaoN82Fc

I pulled down my motor today, seems she threw a rod doing some big damage to the bottom end but we will get her back on track :yes:

yungatart
25th March 2013, 20:16

I pulled down my motor today, seems she threw a rod doing some big damage to the bottom end but we will get her back on track :yes:

It really is no good when a rod damages your bottom end and results in an oily mess all over the place :innocent:

Mental Trousers
25th March 2013, 20:22
That's one of the main reasons I fitted a slipper clutch to my current bike. The insane amount of engine braking locking up the back wheel everywhere was the other reason.

neil_cb125t
25th March 2013, 20:53
That's one of the main reasons I fitted a slipper clutch to my current bike. The insane amount of engine braking locking up the back wheel everywhere was the other reason.

Yeah totally needed one, contrary to belief the bikes been built on the smallest budget. There still isn't any in the budget for one.... ill keep hunting for the money tree. Shame both Jas and I were doing 36s on the last lap.

wayne
25th March 2013, 21:16
ever had bike on dyno and seen power curve ?

Mental Trousers
25th March 2013, 21:35
Yeah totally needed one, contrary to belief the bikes been built on the smallest budget. There still isn't any in the budget for one.... ill keep hunting for the money tree. Shame both Jas and I were doing 36s on the last lap.

Slipper clutch is #2 behind suspension for best value for money mod. Sell something!!

Tony.OK
25th March 2013, 21:54
Shame both Jas and I were doing 36s on the last lap.

Shit I think you'd do 34's if ya hit an apex more than once a lap hahaa.........:crazy:

neil_cb125t
26th March 2013, 10:08
ever had bike on dyno and seen power curve ?

Yep - we have between 86-88RWHP peak on Ozzy Dyno at 9500rpm. Or we did have.... now its running on less than one.

Dyno chart attached for all you nosey buggers.

neil_cb125t
26th March 2013, 10:09
Shit I think you'd do 34's if ya hit an apex more than once a lap hahaa.........:crazy:

Tell me about it those carbon rims really make it hard to turn.;)

sidecar bob
26th March 2013, 10:12
Thank Christ it wasnt a sidecar that dumped its guts all over the track, pissed oil down pit entry & sat four riders on their arses.

Kickaha
26th March 2013, 10:14
Thank Christ it wasnt a sidecar that dumped its guts all over the track, pissed oil down pit entry & sat four riders on their arses.
They'll probably still get blamed

Looked like an oil trail already down the pit entry on the video?

neil_cb125t
26th March 2013, 10:15
It really is no good when a rod damages your bottom end and results in an oily mess all over the place :innocent:

lubrication is the key

neil_cb125t
26th March 2013, 10:24
They'll probably still get blamed

Looked like an oil trail already down the pit entry on the video?

hahaha there was a mark/line on the pitlane, but i don't think it was oil. I do feel really bad for those who went down in the mess, wasn't much i could do. The rod punched a hole in the bottom of the barrels right where the water jacket stops. Meaning high pressured OIL and Water just exploded everywhere. i didn't realize i was leaking anything until i slowed in the pits and i had oil from my toes to me knees.

Side note we got alot of abuse pushing the bike back to the pits - im sorry it went the way it did....when it let go we were doing over 150k on the GPS, the highside threw me right off the bike, wasn't till I landed back on the bike and I saw I could make the pit entry.

People expected me to be exploding myself, bottom line, we were racing well under lap record pace, smashing the crap out of everything we had, my bike broke giving its all. Its a shame but it was a test and we have found it needs to be stronger. well be back:yes:

sidecar bob
26th March 2013, 10:42
Choppa's going to turn up shortly & kick your arse publicly id say. He does when its us.;)
You got a lot of abuse pushing the bike back??? holy shit, I didnt know you'd actually done it deliberately up until now.

crazy man
26th March 2013, 11:17
going of your video the front axle was realy lose lol . at lease you and your bike can do the time (-:

CHOPPA
26th March 2013, 21:34
Choppa's going to turn up shortly & kick your arse publicly id say. He does when its us.;)
You got a lot of abuse pushing the bike back??? holy shit, I didnt know you'd actually done it deliberately up until now.

Haha no id only do that if Neil fixed his bike with some fucken lego and went back out for race 2 and I crashed on the oil....

Bad luck man, those are some blistering times!!

sidecar bob
27th March 2013, 06:35
Haha no id only do that if Neil fixed his bike with some fucken lego and went back out for race 2 and I crashed on the oil....

Bad luck man, those are some blistering times!!

It wasnt Lego, it was Play Dough as I heard it.

craignzcd
27th March 2013, 21:57
few from the saturdays race....

neil_cb125t
30th March 2013, 18:26
few from the saturdays race....

Thats Awesome cheers fella!!!

wayne
30th March 2013, 19:19
maybe time for rev limator at 9000rpm ?

quickbuck
31st March 2013, 09:19
maybe time for rev limator at 9000rpm ?

Wouldn't have saved it......
Unless a limator does something different to a limiter ;)

Drew
31st March 2013, 09:41
Bugger bro. I was kinda hoping the ER6 would be stronger than the SV motors, since they go a tad better and are easier to transplant into other frames.

We measured one up, and it looks like it'd fit in an RGV frame, which are easier and cheaper to find than ZXR400s like your beast.

neil_cb125t
6th April 2013, 12:39
Bugger bro. I was kinda hoping the ER6 would be stronger than the SV motors, since they go a tad better and are easier to transplant into other frames.

We measured one up, and it looks like it'd fit in an RGV frame, which are easier and cheaper to find than ZXR400s like your beast.

Well we were running std rods - the Je pistons and pins are heavier too - It was most probably rod stretch that got em, so it hit the head and let go. I experienced the same problems on my ZXR. ZXRs frames are a dime a dozen, I have 2 of them spare in my shed! but yep the head is narrow as, its the clutch and Gbox that's really large so we had to do some grinding in that area..... Allowing for the torque is the big one, rear end setup is proving hard as the grunt is smashing tires. But we are very close.

The mods we did at the start were fairly std issue - new motor is going to be built....and we'll do a bit more :-)

jellywrestler
6th April 2013, 15:05
The mods we did at the start were fairly std issue - new motor is going to be built....and we'll do a bit more :-)what like fitting an oil light?

neil_cb125t
6th April 2013, 16:31
what like fitting an oil light?

Haha I used my boots as an oil light.

jasonu
7th April 2013, 04:10

Some pretty severe downshifts old chap. Me thinks that is what made your motor dun blowed up.

neil_cb125t
7th April 2013, 07:39
Some pretty severe downshifts old chap. Me thinks that is what made your motor dun blowed up.

yep - totally, that with no slipper....