PDA

View Full Version : Easter weekend traffic out of Auckland?

bosslady
26th March 2013, 17:51
Riding to Palmy on Friday wondering is there usually lots of traffic in the morning? Was thinking I would leave at 8am, flatty says 6am thinks there will be traffic. P.s. if anyone is keen to catch up on the way let me know. Stopping in Cambridge (fuel) then Taupo (meet up with grashopper) then I dunno where we'll stop inbetween there and Fielding. Another track day, go the gn! haha. Link if anyone is keen http://cdmtc.org.nz/track.htm

FJRider
26th March 2013, 18:18
People don't leave Auckland silly ... it's a myth.

But seriously ... The earlier you can the better. As long as you get a decent sleep the night before ... dawn starts are the secret wonder of motorcycling ...

And gives you more options (time wise) later in the journey. And check out highway 54 from Vinegar Hill to Fielding.
The Napier/Taupo rd route is the other option to avoid the Desert rd. (although that WOULD be another BIG milestone)
Meeting up with Grashopper at the Whakamaru junction (or a little further south) would give you's the Western side of Taupo and maybe the Paraparas ... (Wanganui/palmy route)

bosslady
26th March 2013, 18:25
People don't leave Auckland silly ... it's a myth.

But seriously ... The earlier you can the better. As long as you get a decent sleep the night before ... dawn starts are the secret wonder of motorcycling ...

And gives you more options (time wise) later in the journey. And check out highway 54 from Vinegar Hill to Fielding.
The Napier/Taupo rd route is the other option to avoid the Desert rd. (although that WOULD be another BIG milestone)
Meeting up with Grashopper at the Whakamaru junction (or a little further south) would give you's the Western side of Taupo and maybe the Paraparas ... (Wanganui/palmy route)

why would desert road be a milestone?

Usarka
26th March 2013, 18:32
7am.

Geeen
26th March 2013, 18:36
What time are you expecting to hit Cambridge?? I could do with a blast to Taupo-ish, that is if you want the company

FJRider
26th March 2013, 18:37
why would desert road be a milestone?

The traffic on it/the isolation/the view/the weather ... if all is fine ... a sweet ride.
If all (or most) is bad .. it's a ride from hell.

The wind is always straight off the snow. (that could be on the road :innocent)

How long ago did you go over the Desert rd ???

kinger
26th March 2013, 18:50
Not much snow at the minute FJ.
We last went over the Desert Road to the Sevens and it was a cruise.
SH1 from Tokoroa to Taupo had serious wet cement roadworks last weekend, so take the SH32 turn off to Whakamaru instead, it's a cracking road. From there you have the choice of Poihipi Road to Taupo which was clean today, or the Western bays to Turangi.
Bear in mind there's not much night life anywhere Friday or Sunday.

Road kill
26th March 2013, 19:01
Heading south on friday as well.

Te Toro Tuakau Ngaruawhahia via hw22.
Ngaruawhahia Te Awamutu via hw39.
Te Awamutu/kihikihi Arapuni via Arapuni rd.
Arapuni Waotu Home.

An not a wheel on hw1.:sunny:

Waotu Tokoroa Whakamaru kiritau Taumarunui Daves place.

Taumarunui te kuiti Otorohanga WhataWhata Raglan HW22 Tuakau Te Toro home.

An still not a wheel on hw1.:sunny:

bosslady
26th March 2013, 19:03
What time are you expecting to hit Cambridge?? I could do with a blast to Taupo-ish, that is if you want the company
Two hours?? north shore to Cambridge. Time there depends when I leave. Watch this space? lol

The traffic on it/the isolation/the view/the weather ... if all is fine ... a sweet ride.

I don't know, lol. Grashopper is in charge of the route were taking to Fielding so I'll have to see what she decides!

SH1 from Tokoroa to Taupo had serious wet cement roadworks last weekend, so take the SH32 turn off to Whakamaru instead, it's a cracking road. From there you have the choice of Poihipi Road to Taupo which was clean today, or the Western bays to Turangi.
I went through them weekend before last. I'm scared if I go any other way than what I'm used to I'll get lost!

bosslady
26th March 2013, 19:06

Arapuni Waotu Home.

I think I recognised two names of places there.

Geeen
26th March 2013, 19:24
Tokoroa to Taupo via Whakamaru is easy and fun.

FJRider
26th March 2013, 19:25

I spent a few years living (if you can call it that) in Waiouru. "Unseasonal snow" happens ...

After a ride from Auckland, to Palmy ... on a GN250 ... The night life there will be the least of her concerns.

If you keep your head in the traffic (and the weather's looking bloody good for Friday/whole weekend) ... Bosslady ... you'll do fine. Whatever route you's take.

bluninja
26th March 2013, 19:25
Hmmmmm....track day at Manfield......tempting.....I haven't crashed there for nearly 10 years :) and just a few hours ride from home.

FJRider
26th March 2013, 19:29
... I'm scared if I go any other way than what I'm used to I'll get lost!

Then ensure you take your Map book ... ;)

bmwilly
26th March 2013, 19:32

Tosser.Go for a ride someday more than 100 kms from home.

FJRider
26th March 2013, 19:39
Tosser.Go for a ride someday more than 100 kms from home.

I attended the 21st Cold Kiwi ... when it was held on the Desert road. Anybody on here go to that particular rally.

And I rode a GS1000 S from here in Paradise to there .. and back. Come down to the Brass Monkey tinwilly and see if you can ..

bmwilly
26th March 2013, 19:55
Yeah,been there,done that.Remember,road conditions change,check local conditions daily.At the moment the North Island is experiencing a major drought,man,anything could happen by the weekend,but more than likely it will be nice & fine.An excellent day for a ride across the Central Plateau.Check the forecast & have fun.

FJRider
26th March 2013, 20:10
Yeah,been there,done that.Remember,road conditions change,check local conditions daily.At the moment the North Island is experiencing a major drought,man,anything could happen by the weekend,but more than likely it will be nice & fine.An excellent day for a ride across the Central Plateau.Check the forecast & have fun.

We get 30 cm's of rain annually here ... (on a good year) but the weather does turn to shit for a few minutes. (now and then) so "drought" is normal here ... :laugh:

Long range forecasts are good (no rain) for most of the north island ... for the whole week end.

Looks like the girls might have a (light) tail wind south too ...

bosslady
26th March 2013, 20:22
Tokoroa to Taupo via Whakamaru is easy and fun.

I think I will aim to get to Cambridge by 8.30am still keen?

Grashopper
26th March 2013, 20:39
Long range forecasts are good (no rain) for most of the north island ... for the whole week end.

Looks like the girls might have a (light) tail wind south too ...

Tailwind. Yay. We can use all the help we can get :)

Currently the plan is that we go down on the Desert Road on Friday and back up via Wanganui and SH4(?) on Sunday. Will keep an eye on the weather forecast though.

bosslady
26th March 2013, 20:45

Currently the plan is that we go down on the Desert Road on Friday and back up via Wanganui and SH4(?) on Sunday. Will keep an eye on the weather forecast though.

Still not sure where Wanga........ is, Google maps here I come.

Aiming to be in Taupo latest of 10.30am Ghopper which is when I'll get those new tyres.

Just telling you here cause its one less message to send haha

FJRider
26th March 2013, 20:54

From the summit or the Desert rd ... it's pretty much all down hill.

Go Girls ..

rustic101
26th March 2013, 21:01
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/index.html

I've also heard they may be releasing a new smart phone app to allow you to plan your route. Possibly due out just prior to Easter? Its called 'on the move'

Geeen
26th March 2013, 21:05
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/index.html

I've also heard they may be releasing a new smart phone app to allow you to plan your route. Possibly due out just prior to Easter? Its called 'on the move'

Not in the Play store yet, but this (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kaseus.android.nzroadinfo&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5rY XNldXMuYW5kcm9pZC5uenJvYWRpbmZvIl0.) app looks like it does similar and its free!

Geeen
26th March 2013, 21:09

Yeah, I will let you know if I can twist the better halfs arm into giving me copious amounts of gas money :D

bosslady
26th March 2013, 21:27
Yeah, I will let you know if I can twist the better halfs arm into giving me copious amounts of gas money :D

what does your bike take?

Geeen
27th March 2013, 08:19
what does your bike take?

95, I only get 220ish kms per tank depending how enthusiastic I'm feeling.

Not sent from an iDevice

Monkfish
27th March 2013, 08:44
Aiming to be in Taupo latest of 10.30am Ghopper which is when I'll get those new tyres.

If Im reading right your getting new tyres on the way to a track day? :blink: I suppose they will be scrubbed in by the time you get there but, I would take it easy! :sweatdrop

Banditbandit
27th March 2013, 09:02
I'm scared if I go any other way than what I'm used to I'll get lost!

That's just one of the hidden joys of riding a bike long distance - discovering new roads and places ...

Banditbandit
27th March 2013, 09:06
Still not sure where Wanga........

A long way west from the Auckland to Fielding trip ... would make a great day's ride to go that way ... either through Taumaranui to Stratford, and then to Whanganui abd Fielding ... or New Plymouth/Stratford and then Taumaranui, take the road through National Park, Ohakune-Waiouru Vinegar Hill-Fielding.

Disco Dan
27th March 2013, 09:39
I have a GPS if you need one....

On a RAM mount but you can stick it in your tank bags clear top pocket and will do just fine.

Usually plugs into a cig socket I fitted on my bike to give it power - without, you get about 60 minutes before the battery runs out on it.

----------

Failing that, plan your route on google maps - take screen shots of different sections and print them. You can just turn the page when you go through each section.

-------

Desert road can get icy early morning/night - take care.

bosslady
27th March 2013, 09:49
If Im reading right your getting new tyres on the way to a track day? :blink: I suppose they will be scrubbed in by the time you get there but, I would take it easy! :sweatdrop

That's correct. There's about 220 odd kilometres between new tyres and track day so should be fine I think.

I have a GPS if you need one....

On a RAM mount but you can stick it in your tank bags clear top pocket and will do just fine.

Usually plugs into a cig socket I fitted on my bike to give it power - without, you get about 60 minutes before the battery runs out on it.

----------

Failing that, plan your route on google maps - take screen shots of different sections and print them. You can just turn the page when you go through each section.

-------

Desert road can get icy early morning/night - take care.

Thanks :) I have GPS on my phone, I get lost even WITH GPS (yes, with me that is possible). I also don't have a cig socket nor a tank bag, lol. I know how to get to Taupo no problem and Grashopper knows how to get to Fielding/Palmerston North so we're all G!

tzrmike
27th March 2013, 09:59

Arapuni Waotu Home.

There's roadworks on 22 at the moment, around the Naike area, big stones, lots of dust, plus lots of trucks servicing those works.

Disco Dan
27th March 2013, 10:29
Thanks :) I have GPS on my phone, I get lost even WITH GPS (yes, with me that is possible). I also don't have a cig socket nor a tank bag, lol. I know how to get to Taupo no problem and Grashopper knows how to get to Fielding/Palmerston North so we're all G!

You joined after I got my GPS fitted to my bike.... :innocent:

I get lost in carparks....

Have a quick read:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/71062-Christchurch-Auckland-Disco-Style?highlight=lost+gps

arcane12
27th March 2013, 11:43
I'd been keen for a coffee at Cambridge if you are stopping that long, otherwise might be able to have my arm twisted into tagging along Cambridge - Tokoroa perhaps?

Road kill
27th March 2013, 16:02

I won't ride south of the Bombays until around 8:00am because of the fog you will hit on the Waikato side.

Ridden in fog heaps in the past and will delay to avoid it nowdays.

Fuck fog.

Road kill
27th March 2013, 16:06
[QUOTE=Road kill;1130522073]I won't ride south of the Bombays until around 8:00am because of the fog you will hit on the Waikato side.

If you take hw22 from Tuakau to Ngaruwhahia you miss the fog but it takes 30 minites longer due to corners and hills an more corners ect.:yes:

I've ridden in fog heaps in the past and will delay to avoid it nowdays.

It's going to be a good riding weekend so just enjoy.

clonak
27th March 2013, 16:44
. I also don't have a cig socket nor a tank bag,

Iv got a spare tank bag if you want to borrow it, its not overly big, but would suit pretty well to the GN. Its got a clear top pocket for your map or GPS, you can fit a pair of shoes(as a guide) into the main compartment.

Gremlin
27th March 2013, 17:31
I won't ride south of the Bombays until around 8:00am because of the fog you will hit on the Waikato side.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow. Previous trips I haven't really found it a problem...

Bosslady, might see you on the road on Friday, but I'm heading north from Palmy to Opotiki via some of the Paraparas...

Zedder
27th March 2013, 17:49
There's roadworks on 22 at the moment, around the Naike area, big stones, lots of dust, plus lots of trucks servicing those works.

I was through there a few weeks ago, there were big excavations right down to the base course just south of the school.

It's a good ride down that way though, much more "interesting" than going SH1.

arcane12
27th March 2013, 19:21
I was out in that fog at 7am this morning. Not the super thick stuff, and clearing around 8. It's not to bad if you just sit behind someone and follow them. You just have to wipe the visor every few minutes. Or for those that don't need vision correction you could try with the visor up. Of course the wind might be an issue, though I think Bosslady has a screen?

It's in the real wintery stuff that's it's worse - visor fogging up on both sides, and if I pull it up, my glasses fog too!

Road kill
27th March 2013, 19:49
I was through there a few weeks ago, there were big excavations right down to the base course just south of the school.

It's a good ride down that way though, much more "interesting" than going SH1.

Oh well Bombay to Rangiriri then right over the river an south pass Huntly and Ngaruwhahia ,,,,after 8:00:yes:

bosslady
27th March 2013, 20:04
I'd been keen for a coffee at Cambridge if you are stopping that long, otherwise might be able to have my arm twisted into tagging along Cambridge - Tokoroa perhaps?
I won't be able to stop for long since I have to be at katmans to get my tyres but welcome to come for some of the trip? looking forward to it!

Fuck fog.
I did Cambridge to Auckland at like 6 in the morning so know what you're talking about and you're right, it ain't fun! For a minute I thought I saw an angel in the distance... turned out it was a car with only one working headlight :nya:

Iv got a spare tank bag if you want to borrow it, its not overly big, but would suit pretty well to the GN. Its got a clear top pocket for your map or GPS, you can fit a pair of shoes(as a guide) into the main compartment.
Would be keen to take you up on that offer but I'm babysitting tomorrow night and extremely busy at work tomorrow with end of year stocktake so not sure how I'd pick it up!

Guess I'll find out tomorrow. Previous trips I haven't really found it a problem...

Bosslady, might see you on the road on Friday, but I'm heading north from Palmy to Opotiki via some of the Paraparas...

Give me the KB wave then! (but tell me what it is first haha)

G4L4XY
27th March 2013, 20:09
hey bosslady, i'll be heading down to cambridge friday morning, i could even adjust my leaving time to suit you and anyone who joins you if you like.

bosslady
27th March 2013, 20:12
hey bosslady, i'll be heading down to cambridge friday morning, i could even adjust my leaving time to suit you and anyone who joins you if you like.

where are you starting from? sounds good if you don't mind leaving early

G4L4XY
27th March 2013, 20:17
I'm leaving early anyway, starting from the shore hbu

bosslady
27th March 2013, 20:19
I'm leaving early anyway, starting from the shore hbu

same, I'll pm you my number and we can tee sumfink up!

arcane12
28th March 2013, 08:49
Ok, so BP, Cambridge, 8:30am for gas? I shoul dbe able to make that... assuming I don't sleep in!

Geeen
28th March 2013, 10:59
Most likely challenge Cambridge, not bp

Not sent from an iDevice

G4L4XY
28th March 2013, 11:03
There is a BP in Cambridge, right beside Super Cheap Auto :)

Maha
28th March 2013, 11:23
There is a BP in Cambridge, right beside Super Cheap Auto :)

...and across the road is a Shell, you may need GPS....:facepalm:

Sent from a Servo somewhere out there.

G4L4XY
28th March 2013, 11:50
You joined after I got my GPS fitted to my bike.... :innocent:

I get lost in carparks....

Have a quick read:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/71062-Christchurch-Auckland-Disco-Style?highlight=lost+gps

That was NOT a quick read!!! But it was a really good read. Sounds like an epic adventure.

...and across the road is a Shell, you may need GPS....:facepalm:

What does Shell have to do with Challenge :P

Geeen
28th March 2013, 12:19
What does Shell have to do with Challenge :P

About as much as BP

Not sent from an iDevice

arcane12
28th March 2013, 12:27
About as much as BP

Not sent from an iDevice

Ah, ok. That is another way to go. I'd better not drink too much tonight (don't want to get lost is Cambridge! ;) )

fyrgem
28th March 2013, 15:39
HAVE A GOOD RIDE BOYS AND GIRLS!

:wings:

Yay! Easter Long Weekend!!!!

bosslady
28th March 2013, 17:43
Most likely challenge Cambridge, not bp

Not sent from an iDevice
Correct

Ok, so BP, Cambridge, 8:30am for gas? I shoul dbe able to make that... assuming I don't sleep in!
What Greeen said, Challenge so I don't have to pay for fuel, lol. Meet you boys there!

Zedder
28th March 2013, 18:08
Oh well Bombay to Rangiriri then right over the river an south pass Huntly and Ngaruwhahia ,,,,after 8:00:yes:

That looks like a good plan.

Grant`
28th March 2013, 19:05
That looks like a good plan.

Tahuna / Ohinewai to Morrinsville to Cambridge much more exciting ride.

Zedder
28th March 2013, 19:50
Tahuna / Ohinewai to Morrinsville to Cambridge much more exciting ride.

Agreed, but he's heading down past Te Awamutu.

Grant`
28th March 2013, 20:07
Agreed, but he's heading down past Te Awamutu.
Lol i would still go that way then out through roto o rangi to te awamutu..

Zedder
28th March 2013, 20:24
Lol i would still go that way then out through roto o rangi to te awamutu..

You're keen alright, but it's only a 4 day weekend...

Grant`
29th March 2013, 04:21
You're keen alright, but it's only a 4 day weekend...

I just enjoy the scenic route :-)

arcane12
29th March 2013, 14:26
Thanks for an excuse for the little pootle. I should have mentioned the tag to Geeen, he might have been able to point out I was headed to the wrong dam! (I turned back 20KM from the dam I wanted! :facepalm: )

Geeen
29th March 2013, 16:11
Thanks for an excuse for the little pootle. I should have mentioned the tag to Geeen, he might have been able to point out I was headed to the wrong dam! (I turned back 20KM from the dam I wanted! :facepalm: )

Don't sweat it, I went past it twice today and didn't stop. You still have the rest of Easter Weekend to get it....

bosslady
29th March 2013, 17:23
Thanks you guys for coming along today. After mucking around in taupo for awhile we've finally arrived!

Geeen
29th March 2013, 17:57
Not a problem, how are the new hoops?

Not sent from an iDevice

jellywrestler
29th March 2013, 18:44
I attended the 21st Cold Kiwi ... when it was held on the Desert road. Anybody on here go to that particular rally.

yip still got the t shirt and bottle of wine from that year

Gremlin
29th March 2013, 19:40
Thanks you guys for coming along today. After mucking around in taupo for awhile we've finally arrived!
Did I see the two of you south of Taupo in the afternoon? Figured there can't be that many GN250's riding around the countryside :whistle:

I waved. :yes:

bosslady
29th March 2013, 19:46
Not a problem, how are the new hoops?

Not sent from an iDevice

Good! Bloody weird though seems more responsive when counter steering etc. also feels like it struggles slightly less getting up to speed?

bosslady
29th March 2013, 19:50
Did I see the two of you south of Taupo in the afternoon? Figured there can't be that many GN250's riding around the countryside :whistle:

We left Taupo about 3pm so maybe? Did we wave back? lol. Woulda been the front person in orange vest and back person with high vis bag strapped to pack rack!

MadDuck
29th March 2013, 20:10

Not everyone knows the KB wave :oi-grr:

Grashopper
29th March 2013, 20:26
Think I remember seeing you Gremlin. Between Taupo and the airport roundabout? Sure I waved back. Not the kb wave tho :-)

bosslady
30th March 2013, 17:45
Anyone keen to join at all on ride back up on Monday? lol. Back to Taupo tomorrow and to Auckland on Monday get back there about 12pm.

Edbear
30th March 2013, 20:08
We are in Taupo for the Hot Rod show. Met up with Scummy and Mrs. Scummy. Nice truck! Kudos to them for travelling all the way from Balclutha in it!!!! Including running the Forgotten Highway!

He met up with my mate here with the '66 T-bird convertible and they swapped notes.

Traffic out of Aucks Friday was a nightmare! :bye: Might go back tomorrow eve to avoid Monday's nightmare...

carburator
30th March 2013, 20:38
We are in Taupo for the Hot Rod show. Met up with Scummy and Mrs. Scummy. Nice truck! Kudos to them for travelling all the way from Balclutha in it!!!! Including running the Forgotten Highway!

He met up with my mate here with the '66 T-bird convertible and they swapped notes.

Traffic out of Aucks Friday was a nightmare! :bye: Might go back tomorrow eve to avoid Monday's nightmare...

friday and sat was pretty bad, good thing the KW has a low range...

Edbear
31st March 2013, 01:18
friday and sat was pretty bad, good thing the KW has a low range...

Yup! Always sympathise with the truckies! Makes for a very long day and affects your driving log too.

Road kill
31st March 2013, 09:48
I left Auckland Friday morning and headed over the Bombays in "motorway traffic" down to Rangiriri where I crossed to the west side of the river and from there on down to Waotu just outside Tokoroa I pretty much had the road to myself.
Stopped for gas at Te Awamutu an had a yarn with five people riding older Nortons and Triumphs.
They were heading for a bike show in Wairoa via Taumaranui-Taupo-Napier,,,,,,It took a bit not to follow them.:yes:But I stuck to the plan an got to the old folks home with zero incidents "just cool corners and old memories.

Yesterday I left Waotu and took the Old Taupo rd past Tokoroa out through Whakamaru on to the Taupo western access an once again had the road to myself through to Taumarunui.
Travelling through the forest between Tokoroa an Whakamaru is the road I learnt to drive and ride on and on Saturday morning it had a light damp fog heading past Toke but then dried out a couple of kms south of town.
Smooth flowing 100mph corners and perfect road conditions "getting to Whakamaru didn't take long but I needed a smoko break by the time I got there..:laugh:
Had big trout rising 10 meters from the bank as I lent on the bike an watched,,,still no traffic,just ducks an mist hanging low over the lake.
Always planned to take photos from various places on the western access rd so this time I stopped an did just that several times.
Will post later.

Yesterday avo' I left Taumaranui around 5:00pm and once again the traffic seems quite light until I hooked up with HW#1 again at Ngaruwhakia "but by then I was into following the car in front mode so was happy to just trundle along for the last part of the ride.
Stopped for pie at Te Kuiti and spoke to a huge guy called Spider riding an older Victory "very nice bike not as shiny as the newer ones.
Stopped again at Mercer/Muddywaters an watched the local Auckland HD lifestyle people for a bit but didn't talk to anybody because I haven't got enough badges.
Hit the peninsula in the dark and had one of the best scratches up my own road I have for a while.
My first trip on the new bike,so it ran like a clock has good power an handles 80% but it's uncomfortable due to shite suspension which also robs much from it's handling,,,,nothing a $grand or so couldn't fix but it's quite livable for now an I'm broke so it can wait.
The brakes work well but they feel soft,,,might be a Triumph thing,,I dunno,,they do work aye.:calm:
Clean check chain,tyres,Oil change,wash today.:hug:

Coldrider
31st March 2013, 20:07

And I rode a GS1000 S from here in Paradise to there .. and back. Come down to the Brass Monkey tinwilly and see if you can ..Was at the 21st cold kiwi, and probably more than 20 other cold kiwis. This years Brass is will be number 20. That has been done from the sunshine capital on enduro bikes, road bikes and sportsbikes.

Did you put your GS1000 S in the hill climb or burn out?

FJRider
31st March 2013, 21:05
Was at the 21st cold kiwi, and probably more than 20 other cold kiwis. This years Brass is will be number 20. That has been done from the sunshine capital on enduro bikes, road bikes and sportsbikes.

Did you put your GS1000 S in the hill climb or burn out?

No to the hill climb/burnout. I wanted to make sure I was able to get home again.

A quick count of my Brass monkey badges ... next one will be #18. But as I live only 45 minutes ride (At the speed limit) it's not that big a deal.

The pic is in 09 when we had some light snow. Only about 4 deg below zero. But I do recall one (96 I think) that got to 14 below. (I was riding the Suzuki)

bosslady
1st April 2013, 18:09
Good Lord am I exhausted... went to Mangakino via Poihipi Road then Te Awamutu through Ngaruawahia and on to Auckland. Soooooooooooo much traffic! Te Awamutu to the shore ended up being an almost 3.5 hour trip. Blargh!

Madness
1st April 2013, 18:16
Mangakino via Poihipi Road then Te Awamutu through Ngaruawahia and on to Auckland.

Mango through to TA is some nice country, good shit!

bosslady
1st April 2013, 18:21
Mango through to TA is some nice country, good shit!

My ginny is getting pretty well travelled!

Geeen
1st April 2013, 18:29
Good Lord am I exhausted... went to Mangakino via Poihipi Road then Te Awamutu through Ngaruawahia and on to Auckland. Soooooooooooo much traffic! Te Awamutu to the shore ended up being an almost 3.5 hour trip. Blargh!

That's pretty much the way I went home on Friday, hardly any traffic till I hit hams. Tis a rather nice run that

Not sent from an iDevice

bosslady
1st April 2013, 18:36
That's pretty much the way I went home on Friday, hardly any traffic till I hit hams. Tis a rather nice run that

Not sent from an iDevice

Everything turned to shit after te awamutu

Geeen
1st April 2013, 18:46
That tends to happen on state highways

Not sent from an iDevice

bosslady
1st April 2013, 18:53
That tends to happen on state highways

Not sent from an iDevice

Fuckin Aye.

kevinator9
1st April 2013, 21:12
Hi Guys,

Been reading this thread for the past few days as I was going through the same situation. Just thought I'd share my few pics I got as I am just getting into riding but having a bunch of fun. Hope I'm not treading on anyones toes by posting this up here.

Rode from Palmerston North to Tauranga on Thursday. Left at about 9am and proceeded up SH1-SH5-SH33-SH2. Was foggy until north of Bulls which was something new for me so took it easy. Roads were not heavy with traffic at all on the way up but I took a few rest stops as this is the first ride of this length I have done.
Came back down today. SH1 was busy busy as usual (should have done a fuel stop somewhere other than Turangi :facepalm:) so I went down Vinegar Hill and had a little blat through there, no one seems to ever go that way...

Anyway enough jibber jabber here are a few piccies. Should be fairly easy to guess where they all are.

Andrew

Grashopper
1st April 2013, 21:28
Everything turned to shit after te awamutu

Lol, of course it did. The wonderful company was missing :D

bosslady
1st April 2013, 21:31
Nice photos Andrew. Did you go all on your lonesome?

bosslady
1st April 2013, 21:34
Lol, of course it did. The wonderful company was missing :D

I spent the better part of ngaruawahia through almost to Takanini (where I got off cause I was exhausted) going a lot of the time slower than first gear or if I was lucky, up to 2nd. I was fortunate enough to get up to 5th for awhile just before the bombays but my hopes were dashed shortly thereafter. In the end (somewhere around ngaruawahia and then huntly) I had to hop on the shoulder for a bit cause I didn't know how much longer I could last, my hands, wrists and forearms were killing me, was god damn torture.

Grashopper
1st April 2013, 21:42
Just thought I'd share my few pics I got as I am just getting into riding but having a bunch of fun.

Great pics. You definitely managed to make a few more photo stops than we did (we had a few more food and drinks stops, though :D)

The Vinegar Hill road is pretty nice. We went down there on Friday to go to Fielding.

bosslady
2nd April 2013, 07:26
This is more or less what we did

http://goo.gl/maps/8y1Lj

So I did in excess of 1200kms over the Easter weekend, not bad I think! Most of them were on Friday too.

kevinator9
2nd April 2013, 07:53
Nice photos Andrew. Did you go all on your lonesome?

Thanks, Yea I was going to catch up with a couple of mates halfway but they were in a car and ended up leaving at different times etc

Great pics. You definitely managed to make a few more photo stops than we did (we had a few more food and drinks stops, though :D)

The Vinegar Hill road is pretty nice. We went down there on Friday to go to Fielding.

Haha first trip wears the hands/arms and butt out pretty quick! Not bad for a 5MP camera phone.

This is more or less what we did

http://goo.gl/maps/8y1Lj

So I did in excess of 1200kms over the Easter weekend, not bad I think! Most of them were on Friday too.

That ride back sure would have been awesome. Did that a number of times when I had my old BMW and the parents lived in Auckland. Best of all there is very little traffic!

Tigadee
2nd April 2013, 09:41
I spent the better part of ngaruawahia through almost to Takanini (where I got off cause I was exhausted) going a lot of the time slower than first gear or if I was lucky, up to 2nd. I was fortunate enough to get up to 5th for awhile just before the bombays but my hopes were dashed shortly thereafter. In the end (somewhere around ngaruawahia and then huntly) I had to hop on the shoulder for a bit cause I didn't know how much longer I could last, my hands, wrists and forearms were killing me, was god damn torture.

Hope this has pushed you to start lane-splitting or at least be more open to it? :whistle:

G4L4XY
2nd April 2013, 13:52
I came back from hamilton on the monday kind of late afternoon. the congestion before huntly was about as helpful as Katman on a good day. filtered wherever I could. caught up to some dude on a tourer type thing with fat panier bags which caused him to slow down wherever the cars were close together and then BOOOOST off once he had the room, one guy pulled the fingers at him as he took off (which i thought funny cause he'd probably been sitting in that traffic for ages haha)

Maha
2nd April 2013, 14:12
Complaints about traffic at Easter?.....:killingme
:psst:.. happens every year...
We are going away Queens B/Day...and this is how you do it...

We are going on the Friday and come home on the Sunday...:yes:...not only do you miss the ''traffic''.. but you get an extra day...win fucking win!

bosslady
2nd April 2013, 18:57
Hope this has pushed you to start lane-splitting or at least be more open to it? :whistle:
On a scale of scared to terrified, I veer more towards being terrified of lane splitting!

I came back from hamilton on the monday kind of late afternoon. the congestion before huntly was about as helpful as Katman on a good day. filtered wherever I could. caught up to some dude on a tourer type thing with fat panier bags which caused him to slow down wherever the cars were close together and then BOOOOST off once he had the room, one guy pulled the fingers at him as he took off (which i thought funny cause he'd probably been sitting in that traffic for ages haha)
Yup some ppl looked a bit pissed at me

Complaints about traffic at Easter?.....:killingme
:psst:.. happens every year...
We are going away Queens B/Day...and this is how you do it...

We are going on the Friday and come home on the Sunday...:yes:...not only do you miss the ''traffic''.. but you get an extra day...win fucking win!
When's Queens bday?

Maha
2nd April 2013, 19:02
When's Queens bday?

Always the first weekend in June (Monday the 3rd is the day off) but for us, it starts Friday May 31st..head north (at this stage) for two nights and come home Sunday 2nd.

spanner spinner
2nd April 2013, 19:09
[QUOTE=bosslady;1130524452]On a scale of scared to terrified, I veer more towards being terrified of lane splitting!

You can lane spit on a gold wing!!!! I know I have done it. Just take your time and slowly build up your speed, always keeping a eye out for the pissed off cage drivers they do dumb shit when there stuck in traffic. I do think the headlights on a wing help specially when there on high beam.

bosslady
2nd April 2013, 19:37
[QUOTE=bosslady;1130524452]On a scale of scared to terrified, I veer more towards being terrified of lane splitting!

You can lane spit on a gold wing!!!! I know I have done it. Just take your time and slowly build up your speed, always keeping a eye out for the pissed off cage drivers they do dumb shit when there stuck in traffic. I do think the headlights on a wing help specially when there on high beam.

Too scared. You seen my infamous lane splitting thread? lol

nerrrd
2nd April 2013, 20:11

At some point you'll be confident enough at slow speeds and pissed off enough at being stuck in traffic to get over that.

I bought a cheap tent on Saturday and decided on a whim on Sunday to ride to Napier and give it a test run, came back Monday, I'm glad I managed to miss all that...I thought you made an effort to travel early so you could avoid all that traffic palaver?

bosslady
2nd April 2013, 20:43
[QUOTE=bosslady;1130524490]

At some point you'll be confident enough at slow speeds and pissed off enough at being stuck in traffic to get over that.

I bought a cheap tent on Saturday and decided on a whim on Sunday to ride to Napier and give it a test run, came back Monday, I'm glad I managed to miss all that...I thought you made an effort to travel early so you could avoid all that traffic palaver?

it's the cars closing in on me and maybe hurting me that worries me

nerrrd
2nd April 2013, 21:17
it's the cars closing in on me and maybe hurting me that worries me

Yes well that's a valid concern...:eek5: I just think with the amount of effort you're putting in to learning eventually you'll get confident enough to make an appropriate risk assessment and act accordingly.

Or you could end up like me, I never lane split (although I do filter occasionally), assuming I've got those the right way round. You don't want to be like me.

bosslady
2nd April 2013, 21:19
[QUOTE=bosslady;1130524539]

Yes well that's a valid concern...:eek5: I just think with the amount of effort you're putting in to learning eventually you'll get confident enough to make an appropriate risk assessment and act accordingly.

Or you could end up like me, I never lane split (although I do filter occasionally), assuming I've got those the right way round. You don't want to be like me.

why not eh?

Tigadee
2nd April 2013, 21:26

Oh, I thought you only started that for the attention, not actual fact-finding about lane-splitting... :laugh:

nerrrd
2nd April 2013, 21:47
why not eh?

Well, I am still alive and unsquashed, I guess.

...although you'd hardly call it living, I've lost my job, I'm having quite a few emotional problems...no wait, that last part is a Front Lawn song (they're awesome.)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FOPo_LJ8FqA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFOPo_LJ8FqA

I have spent a lot of time stuck in traffic though, a LOT of time. You'd think I'd have wicked mad low speed skills by now, but no, I still mostly wobble along. You don't want to be a wobbler.

Maha
3rd April 2013, 06:00
Well, I am still alive and unsquashed, I guess.

...although you'd hardly call it living, I've lost my job, I'm having quite a few emotional problems...no wait, that last part is a Front Lawn song (they're awesome.)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FOPo_LJ8FqA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFOPo_LJ8FqA

I have spent a lot of time stuck in traffic though, a LOT of time. You'd think I'd have wicked mad low speed skills by now, but no, I still mostly wobble along. You don't want to be a wobbler.

Only quoting to see to if it can be done correctly....:shifty:

bosslady
3rd April 2013, 06:03
Oh, I thought you only started that for the attention, not actual fact-finding about lane-splitting... :laugh:

Believe it or not I genuinely felt bad for clipping that car :P

Tigadee
3rd April 2013, 07:15
Believe it or not I genuinely felt bad for clipping that car

:yes: Of course... but that should not stop you from attempting lane-splitting again. Just practice more slow-speed riding (without any cars around) - find a straight line in an empty car park and practice following that line slowly, not looking down but further in front instead.

And come to SASS so you can get encouragement and support... "Hi everyone, I'm Bosslady and I... I clipped a mirror!" :grouphug:

arcane12
3rd April 2013, 09:12
:yes: Of course... but that should not stop you from attempting lane-splitting again. Just practice more slow-speed riding (without any cars around) - find a straight line in an empty car park and practice following that line slowly, not looking down but further in front instead.

And come to SASS so you can get encouragement and support... "Hi everyone, I'm Bosslady and I... I clipped a mirror!" :grouphug:

Oops, someone mentioned the dirty word(s?). And that thread has only just slipped to page 2 (I am sure to Bosslady's delight). It didn't quite get to 40 either.