PDA

View Full Version : Finally! AA backs review to raise speed limit!

Monkfish
28th March 2013, 10:49
this makes me happy.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/8481567/AA-backs-110kmh-in-speed-limit-review

Cant wait. This is the speed I cruize at mostly anyway, so no more speeding tickets! :scooter: :headbang:

Devil
28th March 2013, 10:55
It'll only be on certain roads, and they aren't the roads you're most likely to get a ticket on anyway.

GrayWolf
28th March 2013, 10:56
this makes me happy.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/8481567/AA-backs-110kmh-in-speed-limit-review

Cant wait. This is the speed I cruize at mostly anyway, so no more speeding tickets! :scooter: :headbang:

:nya::nya::nya::nya::nya::nya::nya::nya::nya::nya: :nya::nya::nya::nya::nya: DREAM ON!! Not in our lifetime, knowing gubbermints? They'll reduce it to the 'double nickel' just to be 'gubbermint'

Maha
28th March 2013, 10:57
On ''some'' roads...I wouldn't get to excited.

''The type of road best suited to a 110kmh limit would be divided, four-lane motorways that have been built to KiwiRap four-star status, such as the northern gateway toll road north of Auckland''.

From Te Kauwhata through to Puhoi (a distance of 120 kms) should be mandatory 110kph at the very least.

Monkfish
28th March 2013, 11:06
It'll only be on certain roads, and they aren't the roads you're most likely to get a ticket on anyway.

On ''some'' roads...I wouldn't get to excited.

''The type of road best suited to a 110kmh limit would be divided, four-lane motorways that have been built to KiwiRap four-star status, such as the northern gateway toll road north of Auckland''.

From Te Kauwhata through to Puhoi (a distance of 120 kms) should be mandatory 110kph at the very least.

This stretch of Motorway/Highway is what I travell most, averaging just under 1000ks a week commuting. -Live: Auckland, Work: Waiuku, Family: Glenbrook, Friends: Waikato & Warkworth. I have been given 2 tickets in the last year on these roads. so this review would be awesome if it went ahead for me. :yes:

I agree with Maha this should be manditory!

Voltaire
28th March 2013, 11:14
Would that mean trucks would be raised to the 90kmph that hardly any of them do anyway....?
I see them on the outside lane sometimes doing well over 100 .....don't tell me they are all restricted....:facepalm:

AllanB
28th March 2013, 11:18
It now appears we are a one Island country! No mention of the Mainland.

It sounds good in theory, but lets face it if they raise it to 110 you will just ride at 120 (why are you riding at 110 now when it is 100?).

Admit it ...... it's a motorcycle thing.

Can't ......... sit .......... behind .........this ..........car ........

\m/
28th March 2013, 11:19
It's a welcome step in the right direction, but it would likely only apply to the roads that I avoid anyway.

Maha
28th March 2013, 11:22
It now appears we are a one Island country! No mention of the Mainland.

Where is that? ;)

AllanB
28th March 2013, 11:32
Where is that? ;)

Way South of the Bombay Hills!!!

buggerit
28th March 2013, 11:40
Bikes open road speed limit should be 10kph faster than cars so you have less vehicles approaching you from behind.
It may also attract more to 2 wheels so less congestion, happier bike shops.

Berries
28th March 2013, 11:55
Four-star highways are generally wide, flat and have a median barrier. Only 5 per cent of all roads fall into this category.

Of those, 64 per cent are in the Auckland region and 36 per cent in the Wellington region.
Fuck. I thought I lived in Dunedin and commuted on one of those roads but obviously not. Maybe it is all a dream.........................

Jantar
28th March 2013, 12:09
Fuck. I thought I lived in Dunedin and commuted on one of those roads but obviously not. Maybe it is all a dream.........................

Yes, I heard there was one of these roads between Dunedin and Mosgiel. But every time I ride over there I find a lovely tight windy road with great views over the Taieri Plain just after a nice right hand sweeper onto the only straight piece of road. But can't spend too much time sight seeing as that straight is followed by a reducing radius left hander. Its only two lanes and no median barrier. I believe there is another route over on SH1, but who can be bothered with that?

Berries
28th March 2013, 12:26
That's my sunny day ride to work, although the bastards dropped the speed limit to 80 which has tempered the fun between the corners.

Hitcher
28th March 2013, 12:31
Don't get excited. The Safety and Energy Efficiency Wowsers will never let it happen.

onearmedbandit
28th March 2013, 12:34
What's this speed limit you guys are talking about?

imdying
28th March 2013, 12:38
Presumably this must help the AAs travel and insurance business somehow :rolleyes:

Maha
28th March 2013, 12:41

It's that start point from which an infringment notice can be handed out. Anything under that limit is not frowned upon.

onearmedbandit
28th March 2013, 12:48
Not a very consistent system then is it.

Jantar
28th March 2013, 12:53
It's the speed at which, no matter how hard you twist your right wrist, your bike will not go any faster. :innocent:

f2dz
28th March 2013, 14:06
Make people drive 100, they drive 110. Make people drive 110, they drive 120.

People will still complain they're getting places too slow no matter how fast they're driving.

James Deuce
28th March 2013, 14:37
What is this driving you speak of?

I don't understand why they aren't requesting a blanket 60 km/hr to match the speed their members "drive" (what DOES that mean?) at everywhere. On the open road. In towns. Past schools. The driveway at the hospital. 60 km/hr E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E.

Maha
28th March 2013, 14:43
Make people drive 100, they drive 110. Make people drive 110, they drive 120.

People will still complain they're getting places too slow no matter how fast they're driving.

I ride/drive to the conditions that suit me best..........always.
If the slower drivers were policed *(not find) as heavily as speeding drivers, maybe the traffic ''flow'' would do just that...chance would be a fine thing.

* It's not illegal to drive ride/slower than 100kph.....pity.

willytheekid
28th March 2013, 14:48
.....* It's not illegal to drive ride/slower than 100kph.....pity.

Ahhhh, actually it IS!...its called impedding the flow of traffic, and it IS meant to be inforced (But its a hard one to write a ticket for apparently)

Know what ya mean about "traffic flow"...every morning the ride into Chch is an eye opener, they are either crawling along!, speeding! or "trying" to mix the two :facepalm: (I see a close call every second day on the highway...and yet I see a cop once in a blue moon!...go figure?)

Oh, ps: You an Mom have a safe & happy easter Maha :)..and enjoy that shiny new ride! :drool: ;)

Maha
28th March 2013, 15:02
Ahhhh, actually it IS!...its called impedding the flow of traffic, and it IS meant to be inforced (But its a hard one to write a ticket for apparently)

Know what ya mean about "traffic flow"...every morning the ride into Chch is an eye opener, they are either crawling along!, speeding! or "trying" to mix the two :facepalm: (I see a close call every second day on the highway...and yet I see a cop once in a blue moon!...go figure?)

Oh, ps: You an Mom have a safe & happy easter Maha :)..and enjoy that shiny new ride! :drool: ;)

You to Willy T... the bike will certainly get some K's on it over the weekend...:scooter: Tyres have been swapped :yes:

slofox
28th March 2013, 15:08
I voted for 120...:whistle:

AllanB
28th March 2013, 15:15
I voted for 120...:whistle:

Second vote, I find myself there too often so they may as well make it legal for me ...........

Scuba_Steve
28th March 2013, 15:18
What would be much better for road users would be something along the lines of DC's law, you get 5 vehicles behind you & make no attempt to let them past you get done. Simple & gets the roads flowing much better as the root cause to most road problems are slow drivers

pete376403
28th March 2013, 15:20
Most car speedos are around 10% fast anyway, so all this will do is get the drivers up to theprevious limit they were meant to observe anyway.

Akzle
28th March 2013, 16:58
i voted for//

wait. no i didn't. i just do what the fuck i want.

rastuscat
29th March 2013, 07:17
The limit is already 110 on the open road.

It's so because the Popos say it's okay to go 10 k over any limit. Except long weekends, outside schools etc, when it's 4 k's over the limit.

Just watch. If the limit goes up, the tolerance will go down. Basically it needs to, otherwise it'll be 120 on those roads (110 plus 10 k tolerance).

It's all just part of the reshuffle. Whatever the limit gets set at and the tolerance gets applied to we'll bitch about it. Coz that's what KB is for.

Scuba_Steve
29th March 2013, 08:37
if they do raise the limit I hope someone lets the Grimm Reaper know, I'd hate to see people dying because they forgot to inform him of the new death tolerance. :shutup:

BoristheBiter
29th March 2013, 08:58
I was just down in Waiouru last week ( in the Ute, bikes on back) so 1000km trip.

Going down I averaged 75kph because it took 2 hrs to get through Auckland. the rest of the way was pretty good.

Coming back i averaged 93kph, again the traffic was pretty good.

The only reason it was was that i would overtake as it seems to be a thing that drivers just don't do anymore.
The the amount of drivers that slow right down for a corner then speed up is a bigger problem than the speed limit.

Where i agree with raising the limit all it will do is mean drivers will sit in the outside lane doing 105 and other such frustrating things because they think they have every right to.

Ocean1
29th March 2013, 09:16
Just watch. If the limit goes up, the tolerance will go down. Basically it needs to, otherwise it'll be 120 on those roads (110 plus 10 k tolerance).

It's all just part of the reshuffle. Whatever the limit gets set at and the tolerance gets applied to we'll bitch about it. Coz that's what KB is for.

Look around, you don't need KB to hear bitching about unrealistic speed limits. Your objective is to enforce the law. Everyone else’s is to minimise interference with their preferred behaviour. And never the twain shall meet.

It's obvious without a stuff poll that 90% of road users want higher limits. Thinking about votes... why don't we vote on the speed we reckon’s appropriate for each bit of road. Or we could save the massive cost of a small deciduous forest’s worth of speed signs and just travel at the speed we feel’s safe. Nearly identical to the way we travel now in fact.

Jantar
29th March 2013, 09:23

It's so because the Popos say it's okay to go 10 k over any limit. Except long weekends, outside schools etc, when it's 4 k's over the limit.

I have been making a lot of trips between Alexandra and Hamilton recently, and as a result I can confirm that the average speed of most vehicles on the road is 85 kmh. I believe this is due to a combination of speedo error and fear of speeding tickets. A driver conciously drives at what he believs is 90 - 95 kmh, just below the spped limit, but due to speedo error that actually works out at 85 - 90 kmh. I try to ride at close to 100 kmh on my GPS and end up passing most other vehicles.

If the speed limit was raised to 115 kmh then the true speeds may increase to around 100, so raising it to 110 will still mean that most vehicles would be going at less than 100.

Akzle
29th March 2013, 09:32
A driver conciously drives at what he believs is 90 - 95 kmh, just below the spped limit, but due to speedo error that actually works out at 85 - 90 kmh. I try to ride at close to 100 kmh on my GPS and end up passing most other vehicles.

no, that's because they're f*ing retards.

if i'm driving and i don't want to discuss new zealand legislation with an ignorant SOB, then i sit at an indicated 109.5km/h
of course, if i'm ever questioned, i say i was doing 99 and a half.

if i have a GPS on deck, it usually ends up being about 108, because that's where the car sits on the revs nicely.

//welcome back rasty. did you miss us?

FJRider
29th March 2013, 09:42
If the speed limit was raised to 115 kmh then the true speeds may increase to around 100, so raising it to 110 will still mean that most vehicles would be going at less than 100.

The big sticking point in the legislators mind in considering any raising of the limit is ... do they want the 40 tonne (plus) trucks going any faster than they already do.

Scuba_Steve
29th March 2013, 10:02
The big sticking point in the legislators mind in considering any raising of the limit is ... do they want the 40 tonne (plus) trucks going any faster than they already do.

bringing them in line with general traffic would go far in helping the flow of traffic, if you ever watched that trucking program a while back where the trucks had cameras fitted you see the things people do to avoid being stuck behind a limited truck.

In saying that tho things have changed alot in more recent times, it used to be you see a line of traffic with a truck upfront that was because the truck is speed limited more so than the rest; now you see a line of traffic with truck up front it's because he's stuck behind some useless wanker that can't even manage truck speed.
Even worse come a passing lane the 25 vehicles behind are now "happy" to stay at an excessively slow speed partly through fear of the PIG waiting on the passing lane. Admittedly it's the 1st 5 or so vehicles that are the real problem, the rest behind just acknowledge attempting an overtake ain't gonna do them much good; except me who quite often now has to push 200 to pass this line of impeding traffic in the limited space given to do so

BMWST?
29th March 2013, 10:19
its all about the flow of traffic.The low tolerance weekends work quite well because everyone tends to be travelling at much the same speed,and cos its a holiday weekend there arent many trucks.I tend to travel at about 105 110 indicated cos i know the speedos on the car and the bike read slow.The low tolerance weekends are good because most people wont overtake even on passing lanes which leaves them free for those who know how fast they are actually going(or are willing to go).
110 wont work on our roads,cos there will be an bigger spread of speeds between over cautious drivers, underpowed towing vehicles,slow trucks,fast trucks,normal speeds and faster speeds(speeders).It will all turn to shit at the known blackspots

FJRider
29th March 2013, 10:20
In saying that tho things have changed alot in more recent times, it used to be you see a line of traffic with a truck upfront that was because the truck is speed limited more so than the rest; now you see a line of traffic with truck up front it's because he's stuck behind some useless wanker that can't even manage truck speed.

And after the limit is raised ... all those that expect ... that because the limit is (whatever) ... that is the speed they will travel ... come hell or bloody high water. And see anybody that prevents them from doing so ... as an intentional and personal affront ... to their personal freedoms.

Oh wait ... many do (and think) that now ... :laugh:

Swoop
29th March 2013, 18:42
This is coming from the organisation that, in its latest magazine, recommends to "check your car's oil".
They go on to mention that the oil dipstick "can be found near the engine".

Not ON the engine, or IN the engine... NEAR the engine!:facepalm:

AA: Advanced Alzheimer's?

Berries
29th March 2013, 19:19
And after the limit is raised ... all those that expect ... that because the limit is (whatever) ... that is the speed they will travel ... come hell or bloody high water. And see anybody that prevents them from doing so ... as an intentional and personal affront ... to their personal freedoms.

Oh wait ... many do (and think) that now ... :laugh:
Don't take this the wrong way, but do you talk the same way that you type? It makes ... it ... hard to ... read.

Gremlin
29th March 2013, 19:43
Would that mean trucks would be raised to the 90kmph that hardly any of them do anyway....?
:psst: Trucks can already do 90kph. For the most part, it seems cars slow the trucks up, then speed up in passing lanes, man, I don't think I could be a truck without wanting to kill a few drivers...

On the other hand, I was chased towards Opotiki today by a rally driver stuck in a people mover, or at least its the only explanation I have for large amounts of body roll, using both sides of the road (and hard shoulders) and catching up while I'm doing 120 indicated :crazy:

Found a nice place to take a picture and leave him to it...

Scuba_Steve
29th March 2013, 21:05
On the other hand, I was chased towards Opotiki today by a rally driver stuck in a people mover, or at least its the only explanation I have for large amounts of body roll, using both sides of the road (and hard shoulders) and catching up while I'm doing 120 indicated :crazy:

People mover... na the body roll & wide turns was result of the samoans inside being thrown round @ 120km/h, physics & all that

Milts
29th March 2013, 22:52

Even if this is the case (tolerances go down as limit goes up) that doesn't mean no change.

115 km/h will become 5ks over the limit, not 15, and thus will attract a lower penalty.

The speed at which a mandatory walk home is enforced becomes 150, not 140.

Etc.