PDA

View Full Version : Shoei irridium visors - help!

Beemer
17th August 2005, 08:40
I bought a Shoei Raid helmet last week and ordered a gold irridium visor for it. I picked the visor up yesterday and put it on last night. The one I had on my old helmet was a chrome one I think, and it is quite silvery and mirrored. This one says Spectra Gold on the packet, but it's very blue looking - the edges where it attaches to the helmet are blue and the middle part you look through is yellowish gold. I saw a gold one on a helmet in Wellington and it was very bright gold all over.

Has anyone here got a gold Shoei visor, and if so, is this what they look like? If I had known I would have rather had a chrome one. I don't want to complain to the shop, but it certainly doesn't look very gold to me!

vifferman
17th August 2005, 08:44
I bought a Shoei Raid helmet last week and ordered a gold irridium visor for it. ....Has anyone here got a gold Shoei visor, and if so, is this what they look like? If I had known I would have rather had a chrome one. I don't want to complain to the shop, but it certainly doesn't look very gold to me!
Yup.
Bought one earlier this year for the wifeling's Raid, and it's Eggs Zachary the same. Also not very tinted, but then my AGV visor is VERY gold and shiny, AND tinted.
When I bought it, I checked them out, looked at all the options, and was surprised how it looked when it turned up. I actually took it back, but they said, "Nup - that's how it's supposed to be!"

Beemer
17th August 2005, 08:50
Yup.
Bought one earlier this year for the wifeling's Raid, and it's Eggs Zachary the same. Also not very tinted, but then my AGV visor is VERY gold and shiny, AND tinted.
When I bought it, I checked them out, looked at all the options, and was surprised how it looked when it turned up. I actually took it back, but they said, "Nup - that's how it's supposed to be!"

Bugger, because I really don't like it! As mentioned, the one on my RXR is a real mirror finish and I saw a gold one on a Raid 2 helmet and it was very gold. I wonder what their reasoning is behind making it mostly blue? My helmet is red/purple with graphics so I am not keen on a blue visor. I think I will go in and have a chat with them and ask if there is any chance they can swap it for a chrome one as I'm sure that would look better.

vifferman
17th August 2005, 09:01
Yeah, I know what you mean. My AGV one looks very nice, and with the combination of tinted plastic PLUS the mirrored gold finish, it keeps out the glare very well. But being a neutral tint, it's not too dark. But the Raid visor was the only iridium one the importers had in stock, and it was that or a plain tinted one. The vifferbabe was happy with it though, and if it's really glarey she just wears the tinted clip-ons on her glasses as well.

Beemer
17th August 2005, 10:46
I took it in with my old RXR helmet and visor and the guy agreed it did have a blue tint - although in daylight it does look slightly more gold. He checked on their website and we found the problem immediately - the CX1 visors are listed as Spectra Gold, Spectra Blue and Spectra Silver - not irridium. For the Raid 2 (CX2) they do Irridium Gold, Irridium Blue and Irridium Silver, so I'm wondering if they just don't do an actual irridium visor for this helmet. Motomail list the visors for the CX1 as being irridium, so I'm even more confused!

Looks like I am stuck with it though, haven't tried it out on the bike yet, but it better have a good tint because I specifically got it so I wouldn't have to wear sunglasses.

Blackbird
17th August 2005, 12:21
Yup.
but then my AGV visor is VERY gold and shiny, AND tinted.

Eeeek Ian, do you wear it down to Cin Cin for coffee, complete with tailored leathers? :rofl:

Best wishes from a black visor wearer..... :ride:

Beemer
17th August 2005, 16:10
Eeeek Ian, do you wear it down to Cin Cin for coffee, complete with tailored leathers? :rofl:

A black visor? Oh, how last century! :rofl:

I emailed Motomail and got a very prompt response - all the gold visors they have are the same, they all have a slight blue tinge to them. Paul said the silver ones have it too, but it isn't as noticeable.

Considering I ordered it specially, I'd say I'd have two shows of getting the shop I bought it from to exchange it for a silver one...

Blackbird
18th August 2005, 13:03
A black visor? Oh, how last century! :rofl:

Look 'ere Beemer, I'm a Tokoroa boy, not from one of the poncier centres :motu: At very least, I'd be called gay by the majority of bikers around here who have Harleys or Harley look-alikes.

In the meantime, I'll only wear my iridium visor (which hides in the cupboard, haha) when I'm visiting Auckland (or Levin).

Geoff

Beemer
18th August 2005, 13:37
Look 'ere Beemer, I'm a Tokoroa boy, not from one of the poncier centres :motu: At very least, I'd be called gay by the majority of bikers around here who have Harleys or Harley look-alikes.

In the meantime, I'll only wear my iridium visor (which hides in the cupboard, haha) when I'm visiting Auckland (or Levin).

Geoff

Tokoroa, eh? I grew up in Whakatane - and look where I've ended up... Levin! :rofl:

'Tis a good idea to keep your identity hidden when riding through Levin, I think they're still on the look out for those escapees from Kimberley... :whistle:

Blackbird
18th August 2005, 15:09
And I nearly ended up in Levin in the 90's when the company were going to move me to our packaging plant there but ended up being given a new job at our Kinleith Mill!

Beemer
18th August 2005, 15:13
Phew, lucky break, eh!

vifferman
18th August 2005, 15:25

I don't think so, Tim.
Because I work in Ponsonby, there is an overabundance of cafes, so I walk to get a coffee. Cin Cin is is too too far far.
My riding gear is far from tailored, although hundreds of dollars has been spent on repairs and alterations. Does that count? Oh - and it's too manky to wear anywhere (apart from riding), due to commuting through all the crap in the air from imported Japanese shitboxes.

Blackbird
18th August 2005, 15:31
Who's Tim?

Beemer
18th August 2005, 15:33
Who's Tim?

Not a fan of Tool Time, obviously! We use that expression all the time around home and I often get people saying "who's Tim, I thought your husband's name was Andy?"

Blackbird
18th August 2005, 15:43
Haha, Ian's not biting (much). I'll have to start on about people from the North Shore next. I work with one and it's almost developed into a blood sport.

That's us unsoffistikated Tokoroa people for ya.

Ahem.... better get on and earn my keep :nono:

vifferman
18th August 2005, 16:00
Haha, Ian's not biting (much). I'll have to start on about people from the North Shore next. I work with one and it's almost developed into a blood sport.
Yeah, orright.
I'm not from the North Shore; just live here at the moment. I'm also not a D'Aucklander, just live/work here, at the moment.

Ahem.... better get on and earn my keep :nono:
Yeah. Don't piss Mr Hart off. He likes trimming employees from the bankroll....

Iridium, Ms Beemer. :yes:
(Just thought I'd do a bit of free proofreading for you...)