PDA

View Full Version : SRV250 cafe project

JimHumble
3rd April 2013, 20:00
Hi all, just joined the forum,

I have just started a cafe racers project and am wondering where to find certain information on what I can and can't do legally to the bike without having to go through the cert process, basically I want to run no rear guard and have very little on the bars which would involve moving a few switches around (highbeam hazard etc), I am also looking at welding a couple of brackets onto the rear section to mount the battery under the can I'm building as well as for a seat mount

Anyone that can shed some light would be a champion as I have been trolling through the scripture on the NZTA website and can't find anything of value

Cheers

Jim

Ps I am taking pictures of the project the whole way through and will start throwing some up if anyone is interested

carburator
3rd April 2013, 20:43
Hi Jim, NZTA will have nothing on the low volume certification process nor the do's and don't.

for motorcylce constrution / modifcation they are still ( work in progress )

for the switch gear one option is the mini switches, on hand you need indicators and high/dipped
and horn

rear guards are somewhat interesting, there is no coverage rule per say but if the guard stops
at the center line of the vertical of the rear tire ( ie it does'nt throw water spray upwards like a rooster tail
that seems to be ok.

welding..

as long as your not modifing the frame, frame steering or suspenion points no cert is required.
However, welds need to be of a decent standard, so if your weld is like seagull crap get someone else
to do it..

bracket removal..

do not go crazy with the angle grinder, if a steel rule can be layed on the pipe and a measure
of pipe thickness ( daylight between the ruler and tube frame ) can be clearly seem and its a
structural member they can comment.. ( read its your balls going down the road ) take
your time and even hand file to remove / smooth over bits..

if the bike is able to pass a current wof in its current state do so before changing of headlight
tail lights and indicators using NON E Marked lenses..

if the bike has to be revinned ( deg regoed ) you will require E marked lenses...
( yes its bit of a ( what the bleep ) but thats LTSA..

JimHumble
6th April 2013, 13:25
Oh sweet thanks for that its a big help