PDA

View Full Version : FJ's doing it XJ750 Cafe style

FJRider
3rd April 2013, 21:33
A few years I gave away an XJ750.

The recipient had not the time/place/money (among other reasons) to continue the project. So I reacquired it. Returning it from the shakey city in my car. I got it in (in pieces) and out (by myself) with a little cunning. I hardly noticed the rear wheel at my elbow on the way home.

I started a photo album ...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/album.php?albumid=4596

I will add more pic's later. The plan is Cafe Racer ... XJ Yammy style. (small budget)
The first pic was My XJ in going condition. A few in "being dismantled" phase. Other pic's are of "ideas ... maybe"

As I was the previous rider/owner ... I know ALL (ok most of) it's issues. It's last run ended in it being switched off. (NOT crash stopped) Severe oil useage was the reason I stopped using it. The buggered oil rings I see on the pistons after it was dismantled explains why that was.
Clutch plates need replacing ... as it slipped a bit (still not a biggie)
The bore was good and a hone already done.
I'll leave the head/valves to be looked at/done by those that know more than I of such things.

The locality is full of people I can get quality work done .. and people that know me. (Not all do the work commercially either. Some owe me too.

But the bottom line is budget. I go into hospital on the 9th of April (2013) for a complete right hip replacement. So I have a long recovery time to fill. And won't have much money to devote to it. (I like to eat as well)

It might work out ... maybe.

I will be posting progress and problems. Asking advice ... feel free to offer. Feel free to drop in and see for yourself. The coffee is cheap and hot.

Don't be shy.

And it may help if I can find the workshop manual for it.

Ender EnZed
3rd April 2013, 21:38
First of all; any photos of how you got it to fit in a car?

FJRider
3rd April 2013, 22:44

Yep ... will post up shortly.

FJRider
3rd April 2013, 22:56

Done ............

cc rider
4th April 2013, 00:30
First off Trev... good luck with the Op. You won't know yourself when you're all sparkly new & back on 2 feet. :wari:
How long in Hospital? Your recovery time will be well occupied with project. Will it be an in house or garage job? You'd want to keep that hip warm :yes:

Gud cafe project. I've got a mate here who is cafing a 1980 XJ650 & doing something bad to a XJ750. Plus work mate is cafing a 1980 XJ750. So let me know if you need parts...

I'll post over a manual if ya want. Send me a txt tomorrow (Thurs).

I like 'ideas' photos

Daffyd
4th April 2013, 12:23
Good luck with your project.

Zedder
4th April 2013, 12:29
All the best for your op and project.

FJRider
5th April 2013, 15:53
Well with the bike home ... thoughts are on what I wont need on the rebuild.

1. The original tail fairing. (and original tail light)
2. The original alloy grab rail.
3. The main stand.
4. The original (I think) washable air filter.
5. The seat and ... plastic seat base (in perfect condition[the seat base that is]) The seat cover needs replaced, but the foam looks ok.

Everything else is either going to be needed or already munted. Feel free to ask if you need a bit I may not need.