PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input from older riders

racingtothecafe
4th April 2013, 22:50
Were you around when the current "classic" bikes (late 70s & 80s) were the new bling? I would like your input on which older bike makes a great base for a cafe project.

Specifically, I want to know which older bike is least likely to present serious mechanical problems.

For example, Honda vtwins eating their own head, Yamaha XVs with starter problem, I would really like to avoid issues like that.

Apparently the XJs are bulletproof even though they are aircooled. But don't they have a starter problem as well? But is it as serious as the XVs?

Any other options? Preferably over 600cc as I already have a cool little 250cc and I personally don't think it's worth the effort given the inherent lack of power in such a small engine.

MIXONE
4th April 2013, 23:13
I had an XJ650 that I abused for a billion km.s that seemed pretty bullet proof.
Name a specific bike because you will find a few guys on kb owned whatever comes to mind.

racingtothecafe
5th April 2013, 10:04
I had an XJ650 that I abused for a billion km.s that seemed pretty bullet proof.
Name a specific bike because you will find a few guys on kb owned whatever comes to mind.

At the moment, I have narrowed it down to either one of the XJs or one of the GS'. I would love to throw CBs in the mix but they seem to be fairly pricey comparatively, about 2-3 times the price of yammys and suzis.

Edit: Specifically, XJ750, GS850/1000, or maybe even CB750/900.

From what I've read, they are all bulletproof engines. Biggest problem with age seems to be starter. Aside from that, trying to figure out which one is the best power (2 up cruising) and handling wise.

HenryDorsetCase
5th April 2013, 10:16
Were you around when the current "classic" bikes (late 70s & 80s) were the new bling? I would like your input on which older bike makes a great base for a cafe project.

Specifically, I want to know which older bike is least likely to present serious mechanical problems.

For example, Honda vtwins eating their own head, Yamaha XVs with starter problem, I would really like to avoid issues like that.

Apparently the XJs are bulletproof even though they are aircooled. But don't they have a starter problem as well? But is it as serious as the XVs?

Any other options? Preferably over 600cc as I already have a cool little 250cc and I personally don't think it's worth the effort given the inherent lack of power in such a small engine.

SOHC IL4 Honda. 350, 400, 550, 650, 750 take your pick.

Next question?

HenryDorsetCase
5th April 2013, 10:18
At the moment, I have narrowed it down to either one of the XJs or one of the GS'. I would love to throw CBs in the mix but they seem to be fairly pricey comparatively, about 2-3 times the price of yammys and suzis.

Edit: Specifically, XJ750, GS850/1000, or maybe even CB750/900.

From what I've read, they are all bulletproof engines. Biggest problem with age seems to be starter. Aside from that, trying to figure out which one is the best power (2 up cruising) and handling wise.

Of that list it would be the CB900F Rolladoor for me.

http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/motorcycles

WM 45, WM51, WM CB750.

Go for it.

Jantar
5th April 2013, 10:24
For a true "cafe" project you can't go past the Honda IL4s. Dunstall even made a kit for the 500/4 and 750/4 that included a small fairing, tuned exhaust and replacement camshaft.

george formby
5th April 2013, 10:26
Back in the day a mate, a successful proddy racer who competed in the trans Atlantic race series on RD's, rated the GS 1000 top of the heap for handling & all round general hoonery. In standard trim when the brake light kissed the tarmac it was at the balance point......
He still swears by them & one pops up in his garage every few years to move on again as another child, holiday, car, double glazing sales man crosses the horizon.
I can't comment other than my experience with a CB750F, had a gazillion miles on it & a hinge in the middle but an otherwise lovely old bike.

kevie
5th April 2013, 14:28
I have a XV750 in the shed, just got the last of the parts to get it going again hopefully :)

was an enthusiastic restore project but when I bought the new bike it sort of lost any priority lol

Motor was fully rebuilt, heads reworked, cams reworked, sourced a brand new starter motor from USA ....... just the decision wether to finish it or advertise it for sale as it is ..... changed jobs and dont really have the time or energies to finish her.

they were a great motor and its Achilles tendon was the starter gearing, i have replaced all the starter cogs in this one and havent had it running to see if it all works OK now.

Rego is on hold and also has 2 new tires on it.

should really get enthused and refit the carbs on the weekend and see if it fires up lol

Subike
5th April 2013, 14:55
Much Ignored but super reliably, scary power for its age, character in ever part of its being, Cheap to buy, loads of parts available world wide. No starter issues.
Make a great fun cafe racer, street fighter or retro classic rebuild at low cost. The 1979, 80 XS1100 STD. NOT the custom. You can buy a good rid able one for under 3 grand, Everywhere you go old school riders know what they are.
I am very Biased, check out my profile pics..

DEATH_INC.
5th April 2013, 15:18

Weren't those called 'chainsaw motors' coz they broke the primary chain and cut the block in half? or am I thinking of something else?

How old are ya talking? ignoring all the waterpumpers (not really cafe racer material), the GSX1100/750 esd or Katana 750/1100 are pretty sweet. Tough as nails. Gs thou too if you really want to.

Gpz750/z650

Xs1100, nearly brought one myself a few years ago. Wouldn't touch a xv750 after one of my mates had endless problems with one.

That's all I can really think of right now. Most old bikes have little 'character flaws' :laugh:

Road kill
5th April 2013, 15:21
Buy something with a kicker and throw the electric starter in the trash "end of problem.
As long as your not a girl that is,,:wait:

Motu
5th April 2013, 18:26
For a true "cafe" project

A true cafe racer is a British single or twin from the '50's or '60's stripped down to resemble a real race bike. A 4 cyl just doesn't cut the mustard as a cafe racer. XS650 is the only Jap bike to use.

Corse1
5th April 2013, 18:33

http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/motorcycles

WM 45, WM51, WM CB750.

Go for it.

Aha! I owned a rolladoor and my memories are of a fantastic bike that I did plenty of miles on with no worries at all. It was an 81 model. Even handled reasonably well too.

skippa1
5th April 2013, 18:40
Of that list it would be the CB900F Rolladoor

Aha! I owned a rolladoor and my memories are of a fantastic bike that I did plenty of miles on with no worries at all. It was an 81 model. Even handled reasonably well too.

yep.....me too. CB900FA.........what a beast it was at the time, 4 into 1...........it was great..................

Corse1
5th April 2013, 18:48
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36/Speed3/012d0d07-3c90-4d70-ae95-143673a6020b_zps7812c4cf.jpg
yep.....me too. CB900FA.........what a beast it was at the time, 4 into 1...........it was great..................

Should never have sold mine........

Corse1
5th April 2013, 18:49
Of course now I have admitted to being a Honda owner at some stage of my life:(

pete-blen
5th April 2013, 18:55
I had a 1979 CB900FZ the first year they were made...
If I think about it possably one of the nicest bikes to
ride I have owned... with 2days tyres they would be great..