PDA

View Full Version : Rant/question: Dust seals

sgtp
5th April 2013, 08:50
First, me rant: I had a shop service my forks about a year ago as one side was leaking. I was happy to hear that they went ahead and straightened the slider tubes that had a slight bow in it, but what incredibly suprised and annoyed that they only replaced the oil seal and not the external dust seals! At the time of the repair, the dust seals had slight cracks where it came in contact with the tube, but the shop guy insisted they are fine and theres no need to replace them. I didnt buy that BS, but just said fuck it and left.

Second, the questions: fast forward to today, I am due for a wof, and now my dust seals are looking a lot worse. Can dodgey looking dust seals fail a warrant? One looks no different from before, but the other has a think layer rubber delaminating (thickness of a latex glove).

Yes, I will get them replaced, but will I not pass a warrant till I replace them? I could post pics later..

jellywrestler
5th April 2013, 08:53
First, me rant: I had a shop service my forks about a year ago as one side was leaking. I was happy to hear that they went ahead and straightened the slider tubes that had a slight bow in it, but what incredibly suprised and annoyed that they only replaced the oil seal and not the external dust seals! At the time of the repair, the dust seals had slight cracks where it came in contact with the tube, but the shop guy insisted they are fine and theres no need to replace them. I didnt buy that BS, but just said fuck it and left.

Second, the questions: fast forward to today, I am due for a wof, and now my dust seals are looking a lot worse. Can dodgey looking dust seals fail a warrant? One looks no different from before, but the other has a think layer rubber delaminating (thickness of a latex glove).

Yes, I will get them replaced, but will I not pass a warrant till I replace them? I could post pics later..

one year later they look worse. How many times have you paid attention to them over the year and given them a clean? you know, part of the regular maintenance like lubing a chain etc or are you just gonna blame the shop for a job done a year ago????

Rhys
5th April 2013, 09:13
Dust seal isn't a WOF issue, only if oil is leaking

Akzle
5th April 2013, 16:25
shat dust seals? your bike is fucked. i'll give you ten bucks for it.

Robert Taylor
5th April 2013, 19:37
Pedigree race bikes run with no dust seals. As long as the main oil seals are not leaking I see no reason why it shouldnt pass with grotty looking dust seals. But if they are grotty then they will no longer be doing their job which of course will bring forward the day that the main seals leak.

rustic101
5th April 2013, 19:41
Mine just failed a WoF @11000 for dust/oil seals...
My advise try a sealmate (about $7) or brace yourself for a few hundy to replace

Laava
5th April 2013, 20:22
Pedigree race bikes run with no dust seals. As long as the main oil seals are not leaking I see no reason why it shouldnt pass with grotty looking dust seals. But if they are grotty then they will no longer be doing their job which of course will bring forward the day that the main seals leak.
Yep, you could just cut the rooted dust seals off for a wof.
BTW it does not cost hundreds to replace dust seals/boots. About fifteen quid from wemoto.com

FJRider
5th April 2013, 20:33
but the shop guy insisted they are fine and theres no need to replace them. I didnt buy that BS, but just said fuck it and left.

Quite right too ... what the fuck do those shop guys know anyway. An experienced bike mechanic/rider like yourself would know better ... right .. ??? :rolleyes:

If in your experienced opinion (A YEAR AGO) thought they NEEDED replacing ... why did you NOT replace them then .. ??? :scratch:

And if you aren't aware what is required for your bike to pass a WoF ... perhaps you aren't as smart as you try to make out.

FJRider
5th April 2013, 20:43

A cheap fix .. :innocent:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/141571-Fork-boots-gators-for-the-lazy-cheap-sob?p=1130142574#post1130142574

rustic101
5th April 2013, 21:18
Yep, you could just cut the rooted dust seals off for a wof.
BTW it does not cost hundreds to replace dust seals/boots. About fifteen quid from wemoto.com

$390 from my local bike shop was the quote.

Trained/qualified mechanic neighbour did it for far far less than than.

AllanB
5th April 2013, 22:21

WTF - for DUST seals/covers? Not oil seals? The dust covers are there to keek crap off the tubs and thus oil seals - not required by WOF.

We talking about the same part?

rustic101
5th April 2013, 22:48
WTF - for DUST seals/covers? Not oil seals? The dust covers are there to keek crap off the tubs and thus oil seals - not required by WOF.

We talking about the same part?

Yes - My initial reply was a little stronger.

pouakai
6th April 2013, 07:17
I'm sure you are but on right side up forks they are trivial to replace but on USD probably not so...

Katman
6th April 2013, 07:36

Hardly.

If your forks were leaking you would not have been quoted for just the replacing of the dust seals.

Robert Taylor
6th April 2013, 08:25

Is he declaring that income to the IRD?

ducatilover
6th April 2013, 08:39
www.pyramidparts.co.nz
If it's on the GPX you've got on your info, it's a piss easy job to throw new dust seals at it.

It's not the mechanic's fault they're fucked, but leaving out a $14 part is a bit silly, especially if they're cracked

Sent from behind someone's mum

Rhys
6th April 2013, 09:08
Is he declaring that income to the IRD?

It amuses me when people complain about shop prices, Shops who pay gst, rent, acc, wages, insurance etc, and who will stand behind there work when it all turns to shit :lol:

FJRider
6th April 2013, 09:46
It's not the mechanic's fault they're fucked, but leaving out a $14 part is a bit silly, especially if they're cracked

Sent from behind someone's mum

Had the mechanic replace the dust covers on the initial visit ... it may (in some cases) leave them open to abuse for carrying out work they were not instructed to do. (especially when they get the bill)

Perhaps the OP should have ordered the dust covers before he left the shop that first time. (and fitted them himself)

But "Fuck it" ... eh .. !!!

ducatilover
6th April 2013, 10:10
Had the mechanic replace the dust covers on the initial visit ... it may (in some cases) leave them open to abuse for carrying out work they were not instructed to do. (especially when they get the bill)

Perhaps the OP should have ordered the dust covers before he left the shop that first time. (and fitted them himself)

But "Fuck it" ... eh .. !!!

The problem lies within your last sentence.
I myself would expect a "fork service" to be replacing seals, dust boots, fluid, bushings and setting the sag if you're lucky.
But, he rode away without the dust seals done, knowing they weren't done.

FJRider
6th April 2013, 10:14
But, he rode away without the dust seals done, knowing they weren't done.

And a YEAR later still NOT done.

Hardly the fault of the (ANY) bike shop for that.

sgtp
5th October 2013, 16:30
I replaced said dust seals myself after taking the bike out of a 7 month hibernation....yep, it was pretty easy. The GPX now has rubber fork gators installed.

btw, I hold that shop guy from 2 years ago responsible for them looking even worse after sitting 7 months :lol:

caseye
5th October 2013, 21:27
well, next time just do the whole job yourself, that way when it fucks out you can give yourself an uppercut!