PDA

View Full Version : Registration on hold - confused

steve74
7th April 2013, 23:05
Hi guys

I'm a little confused about the whole "on hold system". I have a collection of 10 or so bikes, some of which have been in storage for 10 years. I try and remember every year when the reminder comes to continue the on hold status of each bike. Unfortunately while travelling the UK last year for 3 months I missed the reminder to re submit the hold status of one of my bikes. Imagine my surprise when I opened a bill for $280 for back rego and a warning to take me to Baycorp. I contacted ltnz who told me this has always been the case and because I didn't tell them the bike was off the road that I had to pay back rego from when the bike last had live rego in 2010. Does this mean if I forget to renew the on hold licence on a bike that has been in storage for 7 years then I will be up for 7yrs of back rego?

The answer I got from the lady on the phone was " if you didn't have so many toys you might remember to licence them"

How do collectors and museums get on? Must be a full time job putting them on hold all the time. Is there any way around this?

DEATH_INC.
7th April 2013, 23:35
I'd imagine a museum would just de-reg them and use a d-plate.
You pay reg from the day the 'hold' expires, so you actually get 12 months to sort out putting it back on. You pay the amount of reg due from when the hold runs out 'till you rego it (in three monthly blocks if i remember correctly). If you don't, then after 12 months it gets de-reg'd.
I don't think there's any way around it.

ducatilover
7th April 2013, 23:38
That's just how it is.

You'll only get a max fee for 1 year of no rego and they will cancel the rego on the vehicle from that point.
Which means re-registering it.

One would actually expect they would require a re-reg check after having a vehicle without a WoF for several years, but we cannot simply expect any normal logic in such a system designed to grab our money...err to keep us safe and work for us. Apparently not paying your ACC fee means your motorcyles will be very, very unsafe:lol:

Voltaire
8th April 2013, 06:43
I had this on a car when I went overseas, once it comes off the annual " on hold" the clock of the new year of rego starts ticking....
When I came back I had a new address, found all this out via the bank when I went to review my mortgage, " you have a neg credit rating" " what?????"
Yep good old NZTA had got Baycorp on to me....
Of course I had no one to blame but myself...but these days who does that.
I wasted time ringing and explaining.
They don't care, they are drones who do as the computer says ( much like us all these days)

Reminds me of the Tournament carparks in the city whose sole purpose was for you to run out of time and get towed away. The tow trucks would put you wiper up when they went past....and hour later you'd get towed.....the parking fee was just the bonus for them.

davereid
8th April 2013, 15:33
Its lose lose with the nzta. They charge you for a service you don't want even though you have told them you don't want it. Then they baycorp you for not paying it. And they cancel the registration too, so even if you pay it you never get the service. If I did this it would be fraud.

gwigs
8th April 2013, 16:18
They Charge you now to put on hold now ,its not huge $5.50 for my 4x4 but annoyed the hell out of me
Bastards more extortion..:mad:

steve74
8th April 2013, 21:39
the bike in question is not in a warrantable state so I can't even take it for a warrant. Will just have to pay it and suck it up. I wouldn't mind paying $10 a year if it automatically put it on hold and didnt rely on me remembering.
Like sky giving you rugby channel free for 3 months knowing that 99% of subscribers won't remember to cancel it until they get their first bill.

Good thing I don't live in queenstown where that postie stole the mail, I would have owed them a couple of grand by now, haha:lol:

idb
8th April 2013, 23:04
Its lose lose with the nzta. They charge you for a service you don't want even though you have told them you don't want it. Then they baycorp you for not paying it. And they cancel the registration too, so even if you pay it you never get the service. If I did this it would be fraud.

Yeah, I've never quite understood this whole concept.
If you get pulled over without a current rego you get done...but if you go in to buy a rego you get charged back to the time your last one ran out soooo...that means you must have actually had a current rego when you got pulled over, you just hadn't paid for it yet.

DEATH_INC.
9th April 2013, 07:06
Yeah, I've never quite understood this whole concept.
If you get pulled over without a current rego you get done...but if you go in to buy a rego you get charged back to the time your last one ran out soooo...that means you must have actually had a current rego when you got pulled over, you just hadn't paid for it yet.
You read my mind, I've argued exactly the same thing myself. But you can't win...

leathel
9th April 2013, 07:57
the bike in question is not in a warrantable state so I can't even take it for a warrant. Will just have to pay it and suck it up. I wouldn't mind paying $10 a year if it automatically put it on hold and didnt rely on me remembering.
Like sky giving you rugby channel free for 3 months knowing that 99% of subscribers won't remember to cancel it until they get their first bill.

Good thing I don't live in queenstown where that postie stole the mail, I would have owed them a couple of grand by now, haha:lol:

Just put it back on hold and you don't need a WOF... You can do it online and pay with a credit card to save the hassle of dealing with some of the numbskulls that have no idea... They will charge you for the period it was off hold, If you dispose of a bike you need to fill a form to say you have or they will charge you the full year when its next due even though the vehicle no longer exists...

Haggis2
9th April 2013, 07:59
They Charge you now to put on hold now ,its not huge $5.50 for my 4x4 but annoyed the hell out of me
Bastards more extortion..:mad:

Do it online - costs nothing

gwigs
9th April 2013, 08:57

Cheers for that bit of information,will do next time..:niceone:

Gremlin
9th April 2013, 13:25
Yep, as he said... here's the link to fees: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/fees.html

leathel
9th April 2013, 14:14

If there is a lapsed period longer than a month they can charge you.... You have a longer grace time online :)

davereid
9th April 2013, 17:52
If there is a lapsed period longer than a month they can charge you.... You have a longer grace time online :)

Or change the registered person. The new registed person restarts the clock.

They will list the old debt with baycorp, but they won't do any more than that - I think they are nervous that they may lose a case for a service they have written instruction that you don't require.

The Baycorp thing will go away on its own in 2 years, but is increasingly ignored in credit checks. While positive credit reporting is incredibly privacy invasive, it will also weaken the hold of the nzta on your credit record, as it will be one negative report, from a dodgy agency, among dozens of positive reports.

Ocean1
9th April 2013, 18:33
The answer I got from the lady on the phone was " if you didn't have so many toys you might remember to licence them"

Y'know, I don't believe I could let that go without a response. I might not actually get her fired but on a bad day I'd give it a good nudge.

caseye
9th April 2013, 19:22
Y'know, I don't believe I could let that go without a response. I might not actually get her fired but on a bad day I'd give it a good nudge.

Yerp I too would do my damndest to get her the sack.
What business is this of this sanctimonious bitch????
Sacked is too good Ocean, Hung drawn and f..king quartered would suit me better.
Every bike sitting in my shed has cost me/us narms and legs, they ain't toys, they're all used as often as possible including for work purposes, none of her fucking business.

Erelyes
9th April 2013, 19:50
Seriously, you'd try to get someone fired for saying that?

My lord. Telling a customer to 'fuck off' is one thing. An offhand remark like that is quite another.

Caseye, with an attitude like that, I... just... unbelievable. How's your blood pressure lately? Oh, right, none of my fucking business, nevermind

steve74
9th April 2013, 19:51
I was amazed by her attitude, she was nice initially but once I vented at her she fired a few shots back. I figured that I was shooting the messenger and probably deserved it.

I can see how the system works but it defies common sense. I paid the money and put it on hold again. :mad:

Ocean1
9th April 2013, 20:09
Seriously, you'd try to get someone fired for saying that?

In a normal commercial environment, no. I'd just do the usual Kiwi thing and never patronise the institution again.

In a bureaucratic "service" monopoly which has gone out of it's way to make life difficult for me and then got lippy when I complained, yup, I'd make life for her as difficult as I possibly could.

jaykay
10th April 2013, 17:36
Or change the registered person. The new registed person restarts the clock.

They will list the old debt with baycorp, but they won't do any more than that - I think they are nervous that they may lose a case for a service they have written instruction that you don't require.

The Baycorp thing will go away on its own in 2 years, but is increasingly ignored in credit checks. While positive credit reporting is incredibly privacy invasive, it will also weaken the hold of the nzta on your credit record, as it will be one negative report, from a dodgy agency, among dozens of positive reports.

I've done this on a few occasions. Change ownership $9. Put on hold straight away via internet, free. Instruct Baycorp or whoever to remove it from your credit file as it is disputed and should not have been put on in the first place.

Can't see any way it could end up in court.

Note changing ownership is only changing the registered owner, the person responsible for stationary vehicle infringements, it does not change the legal owner of the vehicle.

nosebleed
10th April 2013, 18:00

Maybe not sacked. But I'd certainly have a go at making her cry!