PDA

View Full Version : For sale: Spud's ex-Ray Clee GSXR1000K7 superbike

slowpoke
8th April 2013, 08:37
Ride what the winners ride: RCMP Suzuki NZ GSXR1000K7.

This was Ray Clee’s own personal bike, and used one of the engines Robbie Bugden used to win the NZSBK title. The bike was built with no expense spared to full NZSBK spec, pretty much identical to the bikes Robbie and Andrew Stroud campaigned. Prior to my purchasing the bike in 2010 it was rebuilt to as new.

This thing is quite simply a weapon and has recently been further improved with an STM slipper clutch (2 meetings old), ultra-light Yoyodyne tubular alloy rear subframe (brand new),Starlane Da Vinci dash/GPS laptimer/quickshifter, Shorai LiFe lightweight battery, and K9 monoblock brake calipers.

Prior to heading down to the 2012 South Island NZSBK rounds (only having fun racing new tracks in Clubman’s) and after listening to all sorts of misinformation about intake valve maintenance/replacement I erred on the side of caution and enlisted the awesome Chris Osborne to tear it down and replace the 2 piece friction welded OEM Ti inlet valves with much stronger one piece forged KPMI Ti valves (www.kpmivalvetrain.com). Turns out I was massively over cautious as everything was in perfect nick: a conservative rev limit (makes 187rwhp with virtually OEM rev limit, big boys use +1000rpm) and not to mention less skill than Bugden/Stroud has resulted in a relatively unstressed donk. Never the less the KPMI valves were installed along with new Yoshi valve cotters, retainers and new piston rings so the engine is super-strong in every respect. Work commitments and another race bike mean the mighty GSXR isn’t your usual thrashed club bike and has literally only done a handful of race meetings (plus even less trackdays)since this freshen up.

The engine has only ever seen fully synthetic 0W-50 or 5W-50 oil, changed religiously every 2 race/track days, along with the filter.

That Yoshi’d to the max engine would be wasted without a decent chassis and the Ohlins 25mm fork cartridges and TTX Ohlins shock courtesy of Robert/Dennis at Kiwi Suspension Solutions do a brilliant job keeping the rubber on the road, as they’ve used the information gained working with Stroud/Bugden and co to refine their product to suit NZ tracks. An eccentric swingarm pivot improves both traction and tyre life.

The Starlane Da Vinci dash/quickshifter/GPS/ laptimer has huge functionality, allowing you to see/adjust various parameters (best lap indicator, shift lights, rev limit, shift cut time, hour meter etc ) on the fly or trackside in seconds without the need for a laptop. The GPS laptimer doesn’t just mean there’s no trackside beacon required, you can analyse traces, overlay laps, set intermediates etc etc, with info downloadable via USB or bluetooth connection. Full details are here: http://www.starlane.com/vedit/15/cronometro-gps-indicatore-marce-contagiri-cambio-elettronico-acquisizione-dati-PRODOTTI.asp?idprod=1104

Combine this with the Yoshi EM-Pro ecu (engine brake assist, rev based traction control, multi ignition/fuel maps etc etc and you are talking some serious electronic adjustability. Setup discs and comm’s cable included

While replacing the OEM harbour bridge rear subframe with lightweight the metal art that is the Yoyodyne subframe, I’ve also had a pro apply new paint to some of Billy’s sweet Yoshi fairings. The new paint is not quite as in the pic (I'm away at work, proper pic’s coming) but still a nice red/black/white.

Bike will come with a decent set of Pirelli Superbike slicks, and a barely scrubbed set of wets mounted on spare rims (complete with discs and sprocket carrier) along with a comprehensive spares package including full unused road gear (includes tank), spare fairings (includes another tank) etc etc

Some engine spec’s::
Yoshi full Ti/carbon TRC “kit” exhaust (big bore unobtainium as used by Mladin/Spies in AMA)
Yoshi STG-R type R cams
Yoshi valve cotters, retainers/springs
Yoshi dual air funnel kit
Yoshi metal gasket set
Yoshi oil/air separator
Yoshi catch can
Yoshi heavy duty clutch plates and springs
RCMP machined head/deck/pistons for hi- compression/flow
STM slipper clutch
BMC air filter

Electrical spec’s:
Yoshi EM-Pro ecu
Yoshi wiring loom
Starlane Da Vinci dash/quick shifter/GPS laptimer
Lanyard kill switch

Chassis spec’s:
WP steering damper
KSS Ohlins 25mm fork cartridge kit
KSS Ohlins TTX shock
Yoyodyne lightweight tubular alloy rear subframe
Lightweight instrument bracket/fairing brace
GSXR1000K9 monoblock front brake calipers with HEL braided lines
Yoshimura brake pads
Vortex clip-ons
Yoshimura rearsets
Yoshimura fairings, seat, air ducts
Chassis protectors
Billet roll-a-click levers
520 chain and sprockets

Spares:
All new/unused road gear including tank (bike has never been registered, went direct to Ray Clee from Suzuki)
Front and rear rims with discs, sprocket carrier and wide selection of sprockets
Various used race fairings (some damaged but easy repairable) including spare tank (includes pump, billet cap and stomp grip so ready to go)
OEM clutch
OEM K7 radial brake calipers
OEM brake/clutch master cylinders
OEM brake/clutch levers
OEM front and rear subframes (2 x sets of rear main subframe spars, 1 x small rear sub-sub frame)
EBC Extreme Pro sintered front brake pads, just bedded, ready to use
Race radiator (picked up already a lil’ tweaked but good race spare)
Yoshi rearset parts
BMC air filter (allows easy swap rather than trying to clean trackside)
Spare Yoshi metal gasket set
Fibreglass tank cover/protector (do as I was going to: fabricate light alloy tank underneath, or just use as tank protector)

There’s more besides but you get the idea. This is a highly developed, well set up race bike, easily as competitive as the latest S1000RR, RSV4 etc for a fraction of the price to buy, maintain and obtain spares. It is a used race bike so has some bumps and scrapes, but there have been no shortcuts taken in building or maintaining this machine so it’s well ready for many fast trouble free race/track days to come.

I love this thing, but a change in direction means something has to give. Asking $13000 for complete package.

Note: I’m working nightshift away from home so best contact is via PM at the moment. Won’t be back home until just before PMCC round 3 at Manfeild next weekend (20-21 April) but should have bike there. Once home bike will be listed on Trade Me so be quick to grab a bargain.

codgyoleracer
8th April 2013, 09:03
That is a LOT of bang for the buck !

Kiwi Graham
8th April 2013, 09:22
Wow Sp, an unbelievable price mate. It aint going to sit in your shed for very long.

neil_cb125t
8th April 2013, 09:30
Damn! anyone wanna buy a blown up ER6ZX thingy........

Crasherfromwayback
8th April 2013, 09:34
Too cheap.

wharfy
8th April 2013, 16:57
I way to much bike for me - lucky I don't have 13K or I'd buy it anyway - a bloody good deal !

Tony.OK
8th April 2013, 19:00
Wtf man? Ya buying an sv650?

CHOPPA
8th April 2013, 19:26
Would be a great bike! When does the Panigale turn up Spud?

RobGassit
8th April 2013, 19:28
I found myself salivating reading that post. Bargain of the year.

Maido
8th April 2013, 19:46
Too cheap.

Thats what I was thinking

AllanB
8th April 2013, 20:41
Hmmmm, just add lights and a number plate ..............

slowpoke
9th April 2013, 01:52
Too cheap? Feel free to snap it up and onsell for extra dosh, lol. I struggled to price it to tell the truth, I realise it's not new, but it's built with the best of the best and hasn't done a lot of work......but I need to generate some interest before I get back home: as soon as I walk in the shed I'll wanna keep it. Seriously.

FYI, Just picking websites at random shows:

Starlane dash is $1200USD (http://www.superbiketoystore.com/sportbike/Electrical/Starlane-Davinci-SX-Digital-Dashboard-with-GPS-and-Power-Shift-NRG-Quickshifter/prod_16599.html?review=write),

STM slipper is another $1000USD (top of the wazz, lighter mass and more progressive slipping action than OEM, good description here:http://www.hardracing.com/STM.htm)

I got a good deal on the subframe but it was still $650NZD by the time it landed here and customs got hold of it.

As I mentioned I really have poured lots of TLC into the big girl. To some people bikes are just tools, but to my detriment I see them as a bit more than that. What can I say, I like bikes, I like my bike, and I take a bit of pride in how it's presented regardless of representing sponsors. I've worked too hard to earn the dosh and poured in too much time and effort to then treat it like shit or keep chucking it down the road, especially when I'm only blowing in for the odd event here and there. And I'm old enough to know that cutting corners or just "making do" is a false economy and sooner or later it bites you on the arse, or you spend even more replacing that crappy thing you worry about or aren't quite happy with. Last thing I wanted was to spend $700 on a ferry crossing, $600 on gas, $1000 on accommodation, entry fees etc etc racing Down South and have all that wasted for some shitty lil' problem.

Sorry rant over, for a minute there I just slipped into "explaining myself to the missus" mode, lol.

I actually came back to work with the fibreglass tank cover having just turned up. My next lil' project was to fabricate a small alloy tank to sit underneath it. I'd spoken to a local boat builder and if I did most of the hard yards making up the panels he was happy to weld it up. Ally is cheap, easy to work with, and the welding isn't a big/difficult job so all in all a fairly inexpensive way to lose some lard and keep a few kg's of gas a lil' more centralised. Combined with the subframe, battery and a couple of other lil' things it should add up to a noticeable weight saving. Hey, if nothing else I'd rather a bit of therapeutic pottering in the shed than painting the fence as per my missus' hit list.

But things change, my better half has struggled with the absolute cock-smokers she's working for (country town accountants: you picture organised, boring, painfully polite don'tcha? Wrong!), and in light of her resignation 2 rarely used race bikes are a luxury I can't justify. She isn't keen (understatement!) on me racing but she knows these bikes are a big reason why I keep working offshore at a job I hate, so she doesn't want me to sell anything. But while I'm away from the shed and can't see it/hear it/enjoy working on it my head is ruling my heart and telling me to knock a lump off the mortgage. If/when things return to normal I might just have a look around for a cheap Post Classic bike instead.

The lil' Duc is an awesome lil' bike in it's own right, and more versatile (if it wasn't for BEAR's GSXR would be staying), but nothing compares to racing a superbike so I'll be crying like a baby if I'm on track and she comes steaming past.

slowpoke
9th April 2013, 04:28
Hmmmm, just add lights and a number plate ..............

Lights are included in the package but it would be absolutely wasted on the road, like hitching a thoroughbred to a gypsy's wagon.

It's a fun thing anywhere but my all time favourite "happy place" is Ruapuna (your neck of the woods!) on the GSXR: the pothole is just a great "take a fukn deep breath!" corner, there's a nice wee hump afterwards that launches the front wheel just before you hook 4th, then out of the hairpin 2nd gear around that lil' kink trying to keep the front wheel on the deck, up and out of the dipper, then trying to get that mongrel sweeper right so you can really haul arse down the big front straight......I'm not sayin' I'm any good at it but jaysus it's a fun place on a big bike.

budda
9th April 2013, 07:59
Thats what I was thinking

Could churn you out a couple of wings and CBR stickers Jermy ?????

White trash
9th April 2013, 08:04
I'd give my right nut to be able to buy this bike. Good luck with the sale Spud.

Dreama
9th April 2013, 10:26
Hey Spud,
Good luck with the sale, I know how much that bike means to you and it'll be a tough day when it leaves ... as you know, I've been there and it's a crap feeling, despite the monkey off your back thing ... upside is when it's gone you'll have more bum time on the 749R !!

Sparky Bills
9th April 2013, 16:27
ABSOLUTE BARGIN MATE!
Dont accept anything less :)

Dodgy
28th April 2013, 15:46
Awesome bike Spud, and it was great meeting you :woohoo:

Tony.OK
28th April 2013, 18:10
Awesome bike Spud, and it was great meeting you :woohoo:

I had to stop there for the night, the poor man needed consoling with beer while he wept uncontrollably :bye::crybaby:

You can see the poor man in the background with slumped shoulders and head down haha.

Dodgy
28th April 2013, 19:31
Ah, so you are Tony.Ok!

I need to check to see when the next track day is at Manfield and get up there.

Tony.OK
28th April 2013, 19:53
Ah, so you are Tony.Ok!

I need to check to see when the next track day is at Manfield and get up there.

Haha you make it sound like a bad thing haha.
Test days are more relaxed for testing a new bike mate, nearly one every fortnite, be good to get out for a skid.

300weatherby
28th April 2013, 20:17
Lights are included in the package but it would be absolutely wasted on the road, like hitching a thoroughbred to a gypsy's wagon.

It's a fun thing anywhere but my all time favourite "happy place" is Ruapuna (your neck of the woods!) on the GSXR: the pothole is just a great "take a fukn deep breath!" corner, there's a nice wee hump afterwards that launches the front wheel just before you hook 4th, then out of the hairpin 2nd gear around that lil' kink trying to keep the front wheel on the deck, up and out of the dipper, then trying to get that mongrel sweeper right so you can really haul arse down the big front straight......I'm not sayin' I'm any good at it but jaysus it's a fun place on a big bike.

Be good if you could get down for the weekend 11/12 May. Do friday open practice, then the Cams day saturday, 1 practice and at least 3 races (they run a "moderns" class), then do round 1 Bears Winter Series in F1 and Moto Euro, 2 practises and 6 races, the 749R gets to thoroughly learn the way around Ruapuna. SOT will come around again before you know it! Will have my 675 rebuilt in time for it ( was very close to writing it off after the big crash at last SOT ) and have a worked 999 as well now, bring it on!. Offer to put you up still stands if it helped.

RobGassit
28th April 2013, 20:32
I had to stop there for the night, the poor man needed consoling with beer while he wept uncontrollably :bye::crybaby:

You can see the poor man in the background with slumped shoulders and head down haha.

Is that an RC30 on the trailer?

Dodgy
28th April 2013, 20:38
Is that an RC30 on the trailer?

Yep, well spotted :-)

Mental Trousers
28th April 2013, 22:39
Very well spotted. I thought it was a 400.

Str8 Jacket
29th April 2013, 08:02

Sure I saw you driving through Wgtn in the weekend with this on the back. Was there an RC30 on there too, so so sure we saw one.....

Str8 Jacket
29th April 2013, 08:03
Sure I saw you driving through Wgtn in the weekend with this on the back. Was there an RC30 on there too, so so sure we saw one.....

Doh, posting before I read the whole thread......

White trash
29th April 2013, 08:43
Yep, well spotted :-)

How far'd the Honda get before it got loaded on mate? :)

slowpoke
29th April 2013, 09:52
Tones isn't far from the truth, I spent most of yesterday arvo sniffling around the empty space in the shed.

Lemme know when you're going to the track Simon, I'll make a point of NOT being there, 'cos I'll be seriously shitty when you come hammering past, haha. Nah, all good mate, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

slowpoke
29th April 2013, 10:00

Be good if you could get down for the weekend 11/12 May. Do friday open practice, then the Cams day saturday, 1 practice and at least 3 races (they run a "moderns" class), then do round 1 Bears Winter Series in F1 and Moto Euro, 2 practises and 6 races, the 749R gets to thoroughly learn the way around Ruapuna. SOT will come around again before you know it! Will have my 675 rebuilt in time for it ( was very close to writing it off after the big crash at last SOT ) and have a worked 999 as well now, bring it on!. Offer to put you up still stands if it helped.

Awwwwww, ya bloody tease! Sounds bloody good, and I'll still be home too.....

Thanks heaps for the offer mate, will have a think about it. It's not likely but with a few more shekels in the bank it's not outta the question. Good you've seen the light with the big red compressor! (999)

sinfull
29th April 2013, 10:06
with a few more shekels in the bank Take me to dinner before you blow all that loot on another toy !!! No wait wrong wife !

codgyoleracer
29th April 2013, 10:52
Tones isn't far from the truth, I spent most of yesterday arvo sniffling around the empty space in the shed.

Lemme know when you're going to the track Simon, I'll make a point of NOT being there, 'cos I'll be seriously shitty when you come hammering past, haha. Nah, all good mate, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

So now you really DO have a man cave.

If its anything like mine then it wont take long to fill her up with things like ride on mowers, retired lounge suits, shit you plan to fix "one day" but in reality you cant be arsed ever fixing, dog kennels and all the other crap that sits in the shed for 5 yeras before you finally decide to take it to the dump or flick on trademe.........

On a more positive note Spud, when does the Panigale R turn up again ?

Dodgy
29th April 2013, 16:50
How far'd the Honda get before it got loaded on mate? :)

Ummm, Medici cafe at Martinborough. Dead battery again. The root cause has been found and fixed....

relentless600
19th November 2013, 21:28
Hi there, just joined the forum....is your bike still for sale...? or sold... thanks...

steveyb
20th November 2013, 07:31
Dodgy bugger (last post b4 yours) bought it. He might sell it for a tidy profit after having added no value though....