PDA

View Full Version : RD350LC . . . what to do?

Duncan
17th August 2005, 13:10
I have a 1982 vintage RD350LC that has been stored for the past 12 year and is in need of work to get it both running and warranted. Basicaly the bike is in a very good overal condition, however, I have never seen it running running. The person I bought it off (a good friend) had it running before he stored it.

Now that I have time/money to look at this putting this back on the road, I would like to both who best to deal with for spares/repairs and also an idea of value for such a bike. Also, I am looking at either doing the work myself or handing it over to a person/company to sort out the initial work to get it on the road.

I live in the Wellington area . . .. any ideas!!

thehollowmen
17th August 2005, 13:31
You'll be surprised at what the local yamaha dealer can order in.

if it has been put in storage properly even the mechanically inept (like me) can get it back on the road.
http://www.rd350lc.net/ has a parts list to download, and all the torque thingies you need to install and bolt in right.

there are some good threads about on re-vinning a bike. I'll hunt them out after work.

Best of luck.

Paul in NZ
18th August 2005, 21:36
have you had much experience with bike mechanicals / carbs etc etc?

Fuel system will be clogged, battery stuffed and hopefully the seals / rings are not poked.

Clean out the carbs, sluice out the tank, fresh fuel / oil and a genral grease / oil, kick of over a few zillion times with plugs out / ignition off, replace the coolant and check for leaks...

Fresh battery, new plugs and see if it runs..

Definately new tyres though!

Cheers

ps - value? Check trademe regularly. Getting worth more now but never going to make the $$ they get in the UK.. Lots get butchered for classic racers...

LB
19th August 2005, 04:05
PM me your email address, I may be able to put you in touch with a couple of local owners.

Racey Rider
19th August 2005, 05:54
I can get you aftermarket piston kits if you want to go down that road. $120 each.
Can get gaskets. Decals. :sherlock: Tell me what you need and I'll find it. :spudflip: (Maybe)

inlinefour
24th August 2005, 02:02
I have a 1982 vintage RD350LC that has been stored for the past 12 year and is in need of work to get it both running and warranted. Basicaly the bike is in a very good overal condition, however, I have never seen it running running. The person I bought it off (a good friend) had it running before he stored it.

Now that I have time/money to look at this putting this back on the road, I would like to both who best to deal with for spares/repairs and also an idea of value for such a bike. Also, I am looking at either doing the work myself or handing it over to a person/company to sort out the initial work to get it on the road.

I live in the Wellington area . . .. any ideas!!

I just got rid of my 81 RD250LC. Ive rebuilt two of them including that one. Give it to me/sell it to me and I'll rebuild it. I've also had a RZ350LC, was a great bike for stoppies :devil2: