PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung Cup

Davenc30
10th April 2013, 20:44
Hi all
I had my first clubmans race at hamptons on the weekend and i loved it, and i had a close eye on the other classes to see which ones appealed to me. I really like the look of the hyosung cup and protwin, obviously its cheap, fun and looks very fair, (i dont want to get caught up in a cheque book warriors series) my question is, im 27 and 90kg with out gear on, am i wasting my time taking on 50kg 16 year olds on bikes with 30hp, i could imagine that there would be quiet the gap after sitting tapped in 6th for the length of hamptons straight...
Id appriciate all opinions.

Cheers

CHOPPA
10th April 2013, 20:58
Hi all
I had my first clubmans race at hamptons on the weekend and i loved it, and i had a close eye on the other classes to see which ones appealed to me. I really like the look of the hyosung cup and protwin, obviously its cheap, fun and looks very fair, (i dont want to get caught up in a cheque book warriors series) my question is, im 27 and 90kg with out gear on, am i wasting my time taking on 50kg 16 year olds on bikes with 30hp, i could imagine that there would be quiet the gap after sitting tapped in 6th for the length of hamptons straight...

Cheers

A 90kg rider could win on a Hyosung

Biggles08
10th April 2013, 22:17
A 90kg rider could win on a Hyosung

Big Call! :-P

steveyb
10th April 2013, 22:48
Having a go at something to the best of your abilities and resources is never a waste of time.
Consider: do I know how to ride a motorbike? Yes/No
Do I know how to race a motorbike? Yes/No
If no, which for arguements sake I will take as the answer given that you admit you have done your first clubmans race, so by definition you do not know how to race a motorbike, then;
Do I have a decent amount of money to spend on something I don't know how to do?
Or, do I have some money to spend on learning how to do something I don't know how to do?

In your case, on the face of it anyway, the latter is the course you should take, in the first instance anyway.

Jump into the shallow end rather than the deep end. Get involved in the 250 Production class of racing for almost 3 fifths of fuck all.
Learn all you can, take coaching, take lessons, race every meeting you can possibly attend and have a ball learning to ride the bike beyond its limits. Limits that will not hurt you unless you really screw up.

If you take the other course, such as 600 or even Pro-Twin for that matter, it can cost you so much more money and you can get hurt and what is worse, you can end up in a position where you are too scared to push yourself to find limits and learn good lessons.

250 Production is about the rider, not the bike, so while it is simply a fact of life that a rider with the same skill level as you who is 30 kg lighter will beat you, there may well be riders 10-30 kg less than you who cannot ride so fast, so you can beat them.

Then after you reckon you are riding the skin off the 250, then move on to another class. Once you have some skills.

Hyosung Cup? I am in two minds about it, but the fact of the matter is that Hyosung NZ have put togther a package. All the bikes are the same, so it is up to the rider to tweak what can be tweaked and to ride better than the rider in front of them. All things being equal, the Hyosung is not the bike that the Kawasaki is, but when all the bikes are the same that becomes irrelevant. It would also allow you to race in 250 Production class as well, so all AMCC, VMCC, PMCC, MCI and Sthland MC events. That is a fuck of a lot of racing, should you dare to venture south of TK.

Here's the plug: Rider coaching during VMCC winter series available with Moto Academy NZ (www.motoacademy.co.nz)
We have a Hyosung Cup rider with us this year who is taking the next step onto the IMD250 GPMono machine, and will also be riding his Hyosung 250.

Come join us.

jellywrestler
10th April 2013, 22:49
Hi all

Cheers
there's no first places on a track if there's no last places, get out there and be somewhere along the line.

Billy
10th April 2013, 23:15
there's no first places on a track if there's no last places, get out there and be somewhere along the line.

What he said,Plenty of good racing going on in the Hyosung cup,You'll learn heaps more there than you will on a Pro twins bike in your first year,Plus you can do 250 production races at other series.

Davenc30
11th April 2013, 07:13
Thanks guys thats really helpful, any hyosung riders out there wanna put their 2cents in?
Also anyone know if theres any diffrence between the injected and carb model? Ive had a look around. Cant find any figures.

Cheers

budda
11th April 2013, 08:21
Hi all

Cheers

The Old Coot ( 50+ ) who was sitting a comfy second in the Mainland Rounds of the Nats would be around that weight, and his GEAR is older than most of the other Competitors.

If you want to race for the sheer fun and exhilaration of it, this is the Class

If you want to learn how to race in a low-cost fashion, this is the Class

If you want to compete where the emphasis is on the RIDER, not the wallet, this is the Class

If you want to take part in a fiercely fought Championship, this is the Class

If you have thoughts of one day being a National Champion, this is the Class

Forget all the palaver about "Nursery Classes" and "moving up" - for the budgetary constrained ( most of us !!!! ) this Class really does have it all ........ Just get the gorse out of your pockets and take the plunge - you will NOT regret it !!!!!!!!!!

malcy25
11th April 2013, 14:28
I have 28 years of racing under my belt, and run bike(s) that at times I spend far to much money on. I'm currently 80+ kilo's without gear and if I needed to tighten my belt cost wise on the bike spend but stay racing, I'd be in boots and all.

In fact I would be now if I could squeeze another bike in the garage.....

Looks like big fun to me whatever/whoever/or how much you weigh.

In this case, don't think about it. Just Do it.

Mental Trousers
11th April 2013, 14:45
One thing that nobody else has touched on is do you really know if you want to race long term?? From a single race you can't say whether you will still be racing in 5 years time. After a full season of racing in a cheap class like the Hyo Cup you'll have a much better understanding of whether you want to do it long term or not and you won't have spent lots of money.

RobGassit
12th April 2013, 09:40
Save some weight with a light weight aluminium bolt kit, undercut your gearbox, remove your airbox snorkel and use Mobil98. :msn-wink:

Billy
12th April 2013, 10:17
Save some weight with a light weight aluminium bolt kit, undercut your gearbox, remove your airbox snorkel and use Mobil98. :msn-wink:

None of that works unless you run an aftermarket airfilter though:bleh::bleh::bleh:

Davenc30
4th May 2013, 17:37
well, i did it....

vtec
4th May 2013, 17:53
Nice one. I just bought a 1989 Honda Spada VT250 for racing in the Prolite 250 class, might end up out there with you. Can't wait. The VFR650 is taking too long.
http://i.imgur.com/wxzgDjr.jpg

richban
4th May 2013, 17:56
Thanks guys thats really helpful, any hyosung riders out there wanna put their 2cents in?
Also anyone know if theres any diffrence between the injected and carb model? Ive had a look around. Cant find any figures.

Cheers

Not a Hyosung cup rider but I am in a similar boat to you. Almost 6.2 and 93 kg. I race buckets and there are plenty of skinny fast kids to try and beat. I do ok and have won a few races. Where you losse it the most is corner exit. So you need to be good on the brakes and fast on the throttle. If you want to go racing just do it. There is know way you will win a race straight off but you will have fun trying. Racing takes time. It is addictive and the best fun ever. Just go do it.

Davenc30
4th May 2013, 18:08
Nice one. I just bought a 1989 Honda Spada VT250 for racing in the Prolite 250 class, might end up out there with you. Can't wait. The VFR650 is taking too long.
http://i.imgur.com/wxzgDjr.jpg

Sounds good, i only got it last week, scored fairings cheap($300) fitted race pads, just gotta find cash for exhaust, braided lines and tyres... Trying to get ready for the hamilton club winter series at the end of next month cant wait to try it out, going to be a big change from my srad 600 trackbike...

Davenc30
4th May 2013, 18:12
Not a Hyosung cup rider but I am in a similar boat to you. Almost 6.2 and 93 kg. I race buckets and there are plenty of skinny fast kids to try and beat. I do ok and have won a few races. Where you losse it the most is corner exit. So you need to be good on the brakes and fast on the throttle. If you want to go racing just do it. There is know way you will win a race straight off but you will have fun trying. Racing takes time. It is addictive and the best fun ever. Just go do it.

Yeah weight will be a major factor, however, i am poor now so ill be spending less money on food haha

richban
4th May 2013, 18:17
Yeah weight will be a major factor, however, i am poor now so ill be spending less money on food haha

Good plan. Just remember to eat on race day. That helps quite a lot.

puddytat
4th May 2013, 19:36
]

Dont want to rain on your parade, but the Spada is a grey import & is not eligible at National level.
However at club level I dont think a club would mind at all....
Cracker wee bike too.