PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP.com Video Pass 2013

DidJit
28th March 2013, 10:59
Next weekend. MotoGP.com video pass is the way to go if you've got the coin.

Edit (11/04/13): MT split the MotoGP thread and gave the video subscription chatter its own thread. The chatter derived from here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/154308-MotoGP-2013?p=1130522372#post1130522372).

tail_end_charlie
28th March 2013, 11:06
Is there any TV coverage this year? I could get my friends to record it on myksy if it's on. If not are most people paying to watch it online?

I have the motogp.com video pass and to be honest, I think that is the best option (so long as you have good broadband). Yeah, it's expensive (99 euro for the season) but you get a hell of a lot of coverage. All the practices, qualifying, warm-up, race, and then all the extra stuff that comes along. You can also watch it live, or whenever you get the chance. Plus you have access to 10 years or so of old race footage if your keen.

That being said the main reason I got it was because I couldn't be assed to get Sky, and record the races, blah blah blah.

Crasherfromwayback
28th March 2013, 11:08
Next weekend. MotoGP.com video pass is the way to go if you've got the coin.

Wot he said. By miles.

steveyb
28th March 2013, 12:23
And you don't need to watch live.
If you can resist looking at the results in the news there is a video only link where only a list of the video coverage comes up, no news etc.
So you can watch it all the next evening/day at your leisure.
I didn't realise this and was covering the screen with my hand in the hope that I would block out the results part.
Doh!!!
I just got my Video pass. It hurts a bit, but SkyShit hurts a whole lot more and I don't have the coin nor enthusiasm for SKY TV.
The new multi-screen apps should be a bit of fun. (Can watch multiple cameras at once).

Damien_Toman
28th March 2013, 21:42
I have the motogp.com video pass and to be honest, I think that is the best option (so long as you have good broadband). Yeah, it's expensive (99 euro for the season) but you get a hell of a lot of coverage. All the practices, qualifying, warm-up, race, and then all the extra stuff that comes along. You can also watch it live, or whenever you get the chance. Plus you have access to 10 years or so of old race footage if your keen.
.......blah.

Yes, the MotoGP subscription is worth it. You also get all the interviews as well. I watch last years races as a warm-up! Most coverage now in 720P.

t595
1st April 2013, 09:22

That being said the main reason I got it was because I couldn't be assed to get Sky, and record the races, blah blah blah.

They have discounted it , 75 euro ($114nz) full season pass, so roughly 1/3 the price of a year subscription to sky sport now

steveyb
1st April 2013, 09:47
Don't know where you are seeing that.
MotoGP website lists Full Season video pass at 99.95€ or monthly pass at 24.95€ per month.

t595
1st April 2013, 10:01
Mine says 74.95, maybe discount coz i had pre season subscription? my bad:brick: Still Cheap compared to sky

denill
1st April 2013, 10:52
Mine says 74.95, maybe discount coz i had pre season subscription? my bad:brick: Still Cheap compared to sky

Ok, so can it be recorded some how for viewing when suitable - or do you have to watch it live?

BTW it comes up as 99.99Euro on my page.

tail_end_charlie
1st April 2013, 11:29
My Apple TV can earn its keep, I'll still be able to watch the coverage on the 42" screen.

Laptop + good broadband + MotoGP subscription + HDMI cable + 42" HD TV = Me and beer watching the action. Whatever race I want, whenever I want. :2thumbsup

Sky can go screw themselves........

...............now only if WSBK had a online subscription, life would be complete. :yes:

jasonu
1st April 2013, 16:04

Sounds like a bargain to me.

tail_end_charlie
2nd April 2013, 14:21
OK, a bit slow but just confirming - So is all the coverage available at any time, on demand?

If you get the MotoGP subscription.......YES.

You can either watch all the practices, qualifing and races live, or the will put them up afterwards for you to view at your own convienence. I think they also keep all those sessions available to you forever (thats the internet's definition of forever, ie, a couple of years). Also included are the post race interviews, special slow-mo camera shots, ect ect.

In other words, give Sky the finger and get the online subscription (so long as you have good broadband coverage).

t595
2nd April 2013, 19:04
Yeah Bill had that one.

Me three Kendog. Have done a few phone calls too.
More the merrier.
You'd think they'd miss 100 bucks a month ?

You could always cancel just the sport and replace it with motogp subscription? thats what i did after their poor coverage last year.
In a shit fight with sky at the moment tho..... got a promo in the mail "by mistake" saying No sky joining fee plus 12 months 2 free channels, e.g. sky sport and sky movies, all for $46 for the first year. Waiting to hear back if theyre going to give me the free sport and movies . if not I'm canceling my subscription and signing up in the missus name to get it:angry2: Fuckers!!

roogazza
3rd April 2013, 07:28
You could always cancel just the sport and replace it with motogp subscription? thats what i did after their poor coverage last year.
In a shit fight with sky at the moment tho..... got a promo in the mail "by mistake" saying No sky joining fee plus 12 months 2 free channels, e.g. sky sport and sky movies, all for $46 for the first year. Waiting to hear back if theyre going to give me the free sport and movies . if not I'm canceling my subscription and signing up in the missus name to get it:angry2: Fuckers!!

Yeah bud, long as I can get the coverage onto the 60inch TV i'll be happy.

Mental Trousers
3rd April 2013, 07:54
Unfortunately the success of the MotoGP.com Video Pass means Dorna really are creaming it. They hold off awarding television rights so that they get as many as possible signing up for video passes. At some late stage they award the video rights for just as much as they were going to anyway if not more.

Dorna controls all possible avenues for media - except for private tests.

I don't know why the teams don't get together and organize more private tests so that they can stick it to Dorna. Costs are definitely higher as Dorna cover a bunch of things for testing (transportation, circuit hire etc) but the benefits to the teams and sponsors of getting on track/in pit/behind the scenes footage without any encumbrances should easily outweigh that.

Reckless
4th April 2013, 22:27
Well we paid for the Dorna Subscription.

Me an my son went 1/2's we will share the password and have Moto Gp Nights. Maybe some of you KBer's should do the same (even a group of us next year)???

Dorna's game is pretty slack really! no promo vids from the teams, no sky, once they think they have a captive market I'd guess the 99 euro's will go up to?

Then when the teams get fucked off with their antics and start practicing privately (which wont be in the 99 subscription) we wont see that stuff either.

You cant carry on like that sooner or later it will bite them in the ass.
The word is out I wonder if enough people didn't pay until after the first race if they would get the TV rights sussed earlier.

Their saving grace this year is the upcoming battle between the top riders but all and all not a very good look for Dorna, the teams and the Fans.

Ah well we did the best we could to 1/2 the cost. Bring it on cant wait for Race 1!!!

roogazza
5th April 2013, 08:32
Me an my son went 1/2's we will share the password and have Moto Gp Nights. Maybe some of you KBer's should do the same (even a group of us next year)???
Dorna's game is pretty slack really!
You cant carry on like that sooner or later it will bite them in the ass.
The word is out I wonder if enough people didn't pay until after the first race if they would get the TV rights sussed earlier.

Cheers Reckless, I was on the phone to Sky AGAIN, last night and was expressing myself to the Curry Muncher I had on the line.
Finally I said, the racing starts tomorrow ! So, your are expecting a deal very soon , it IS coming ? The reply was YES !

So fingers crossed, Far too late for us Fans, and yes I'm sure it will bite them in the end ? ( Both Dorna and Sky.) F...em !:mad:

george formby
5th April 2013, 10:37

Exacary the conversation I had last night! Great excuse for a weekly beer & curry night. Just need to make some friends now.
Would asking on Twitface help?

denill
7th April 2013, 11:05
Help! :(

Why am I unable to get the Multi Screen features (As demoed in 'Video Pass') that are scheduled for Q1 and Q2?

Also, how do I get the Audio Mixer on screen?

BMWST?
7th April 2013, 12:04

Why am I unable to get the Multi Screen features (As demoed in 'Video Pass') that are scheduled for Q1 and Q2?

have you purchased the full season or just a month?split screen thing is for full season video pass only

denill
7th April 2013, 15:42
have you purchased the full season or just a month?split screen thing is for full season video pass only

Paid 99.95 €

vinducati
7th April 2013, 16:07
Got a moto gp video pass for Qatar to test it.

Pro's = A lot of content from previous seasons
All the practice , warm up and qualy in all classes

Con's = Have to view by connecting laptop to TV, I use a HDMI cable
It is not true H, only 720p, so no where near as good as Sky HD.

Will keep sky if they do a deal for the rest of the season, but if not will get a full season pass for motogp.

denill
7th April 2013, 16:27

The strange thing is that, all those menus were there when I first logged in - so I must have stuffed a setting when I was bumbling about. Looked everywhere, but can't solve it? :(

Bender
10th April 2013, 10:58
Slightly off topic, but has anyone had trouble logging in to the MotoGP video feed? I have bought a pass - I can log in with my desktop computer (running Win XP) no problems. But not with the laptop (running Win 7 may it rot in hell) nor the Samsung smart TV. I fill out user name and password and it just sits there doing nothing.

So as not to clutter up the thread perhaps PMs from here.

After all, it was your fault - all the talk about the stunning race forced me to crack out the credit card and buy the subscription, seeing as how those useless twats at sky have dropped MotoGP.

onearmedbandit
10th April 2013, 13:26
Slightly off topic, but has anyone had trouble logging in to the MotoGP video feed? I have bought a pass - I can log in with my desktop computer (running Win XP) no problems. But not with the laptop (running Win 7 may it rot in hell) nor the Samsung smart TV. I fill out user name and password and it just sits there doing nothing.

After all, it was your fault - all the talk about the stunning race forced me to crack out the credit card and buy the subscription, seeing as how those useless twats at sky have dropped MotoGP.

In my experience with motogp.com, it pays to log on well before the race starts.

Crasherfromwayback
10th April 2013, 13:37
In my experience with motogp.com, it pays to log on well before the race starts.

Only prob I've ever had with the site...and always have...is during the race my laptop always flicks from high def to std and back again at will. This causes my laptop to freeze up at inopportune moments, and has nearly caused me to throw the cunting thing out the window on several occasions! Is it operator error or what?

pritch
10th April 2013, 13:46
Is it operator error or what?

I dunno, I'm still learning too.

Monday morning I lost the coverage a couple of times but I'm assuming that was them not me because ads came on.

DidJit
10th April 2013, 14:19
Only prob I've ever had with the site...and always have...is during the race my laptop always flicks from high def to std and back again at will. This causes my laptop to freeze up at inopportune moments, and has nearly caused me to throw the cunting thing out the window on several occasions! Is it operator error or what?

That's an easy one, mate: to the left of the 720p/Hi-Res/Standard resolution button is a check box titled 'Auto Quality' — just uncheck it.

Crasherfromwayback
10th April 2013, 14:30
That's an easy one, mate: to the left of the 720p/Hi-Res/Standard resolution button is a check box titled 'Auto Quality' — just uncheck it.

Rockstar! Owe you beer. I'll share some of the Steinies OAB is gonna be delivering!!

Ntoxcated
10th April 2013, 14:39
Latest update from sky (http://www.skysport.co.nz/article/motorsport/headlines/sky-tv-statement-on-motogp-64163/)

Here is an explanation from Richard Last - SKY's Director of Sport - regarding MotoGP

"I can fully appreciate your comments and understand how frustrating this type of thing can be and I realise that my response is unlikely to change your opinion in the short term but I would like to explain how we have ended up in this situation.

"Our acquisitions team (which I am the head of) did start discussing the renewal of the rights with the broker and the rights holder in October last year. Unfortunately we have a difference of opinion in how we value coverage of the races.

"I know there are a large number of followers of Moto GP and it is our job to try and bring as much coverage of the events and other LIVE Sport to our customers as we can.

"In order to do that we need to spend our budget carefully and try and keep any increase in costs at a level that allows us to deliver the best result for our paying customers.

"Over recent weeks and months we have been through some difficult negotiations with some of those deals only taking place in the final few days or hours before the season starts.

"We found ourselves in the same position last week - we could not reach an agreement and the first race was imminent.

"We posted the situation on Facebook on Friday as it was at that point that we genuinely feared we may not get a deal.

"On Saturday and Sunday I had conversations with the rights holders but they too would not budge. (It does take two parties to agree or not agree a deal).

"We have made another offer for the remainder of the series and we hope that we are successful with that offer.

"I do understand how annoying this is for Moto GP fans such as yourselves but I do believe we are trying to act in the best interest of our subscribers by keeping costs at a reasonable level. If we agreed to pay all the sports the money they want we would have to continuously increase the cost of a subscription.

"I am sorry that we have not been able to satisfy you and apologise for the annoyance we have caused.

"I very much hope that you will decide to stay with SKY and continue to enjoy our coverage of the Superbikes and we will continue to talk to the Moto GP folk to try and get that back on SKY as soon as possible."

Mental Trousers
10th April 2013, 15:44
Latest update from sky (http://www.skysport.co.nz/article/motorsport/headlines/sky-tv-statement-on-motogp-64163/)

Here is an explanation from Richard Last - SKY's Director of Sport - regarding MotoGP

"I can fully appreciate your comments and understand how frustrating this type of thing can be and I realise that my response is unlikely to change your opinion in the short term but I would like to explain how we have ended up in this situation.

"Our acquisitions team (which I am the head of) did start discussing the renewal of the rights with the broker and the rights holder in October last year. Unfortunately we have a difference of opinion in how we value coverage of the races.

"I know there are a large number of followers of Moto GP and it is our job to try and bring as much coverage of the events and other LIVE Sport to our customers as we can.

"In order to do that we need to spend our budget carefully and try and keep any increase in costs at a level that allows us to deliver the best result for our paying customers.

"Over recent weeks and months we have been through some difficult negotiations with some of those deals only taking place in the final few days or hours before the season starts.

"We found ourselves in the same position last week - we could not reach an agreement and the first race was imminent.

"We posted the situation on Facebook on Friday as it was at that point that we genuinely feared we may not get a deal.

"On Saturday and Sunday I had conversations with the rights holders but they too would not budge. (It does take two parties to agree or not agree a deal).

"We have made another offer for the remainder of the series and we hope that we are successful with that offer.

"I do understand how annoying this is for Moto GP fans such as yourselves but I do believe we are trying to act in the best interest of our subscribers by keeping costs at a reasonable level. If we agreed to pay all the sports the money they want we would have to continuously increase the cost of a subscription.

"I am sorry that we have not been able to satisfy you and apologise for the annoyance we have caused.

"I very much hope that you will decide to stay with SKY and continue to enjoy our coverage of the Superbikes and we will continue to talk to the Moto GP folk to try and get that back on SKY as soon as possible."

From the below source ...

On the upside (http://motomatters.com/press_release/2013/04/09/dorna_press_release_thrilling_season_ope.html)...

The 2013 MotoGP season opener can be reckoned a success. Today, Dorna issued a press release reporting a massive rise in TV viewing numbers. Some key figures: Spain saw a rise of 44.6% compared with last year, in Italy, 5.28 million viewers watched the races, while in the UK, audience numbers were up by 75%, due in no small part to the success of Cal Crutchlow.

Dorna have just proven that their MotoGP product is worth more than Sky is currently willing to pay for it.

I gave up on Sky for bike racing a couple of years ago, I suggest others do the same, as far as MotoGP/Moto2/Moto3 is concerned anyway.

denill
10th April 2013, 16:28

Not really off-topic, as it's about trying to watch MotoGP.

But yeah, it,s a can of worms. Firefox came up with a blank screen, IE took me to - a download for a Flash Player update that after installation, still told me I had to update??

In desperation, I downloaded the Google Chrome browser that the flash player kept defaulting to. That works.

Hope that helps a bit.

As the laptop did not have enough grunt - I have installed an STLab U-600 USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter ($129.00) onto my desktop and now I have 60inch monitor courtesy of a loooong HDMI cable.

denill
10th April 2013, 16:37
I have the full season subscription, but am unable to get the MultiScreen features, (multi screen, audio mixer etc) as featured in the 'Video Pass' on the MotoGP website.

Saw it just momentarily, (a few days ago!) but can not access it now............................

Can anyone help?

Badjelly
10th April 2013, 17:23
Dorna have just proven that their MotoGP product is worth more than Sky is currently willing to pay for it.

Does anyone have any idea what Dorna is asking for? $100,000 a year???

The last time Sky decided not to cover MotoGP was in 2004. It was picked up later in the year by Prime with sponsorship from Yamaha. Prime is part of Sky now, so that's not going to happen again. But what about Maori TV?!

Sorry for going off topic here. I took out a weekend subscription to motogp.com for Qatar. Now I'm doing some hard thinking about whether I would be willing to drop Sky Sport. Hmm, $26.something per month for Sky Sport vs 100 Euro for the remainder of the year for motogp.com. But what about WorldSBK?? :confused:

Kendog
10th April 2013, 18:58
I have the full season subscription, but am unable to get the MultiScreen features, (multi screen, audio mixer etc) as featured in the 'Video Pass' on the MotoGP website.

Saw it just momentarily, (a few days ago!) but can not access it now............................

Can anyone help?
The only time I saw the multi screen was during live viewing. All the replays don't have it.

denill
10th April 2013, 21:15
The only time I saw the multi screen was during live viewing. All the replays don't have it.

Ah ha, think you've nailed it.

Warr
10th April 2013, 21:37
Ah ha, think you've nailed it.

I watched it live on stream and I tried the different display options.
Empty boxes :(

denill
10th April 2013, 21:47

Suspect the choice of Flash Player is important

And as i wrote earlier - I downloaded Adobe Flash Player 11.7.700.169. And the download is accompanied by the message - Google Chrome, a fast web browser with optimized Adobe Flash Player integration.

Be interested to know what Flash Player version works for others here?

Kendog
10th April 2013, 21:47
That's what I got as well. The concept sounds good, hopefully they get it working.

Reckless
10th April 2013, 23:02
That's what I got as well. The concept sounds good, hopefully they get it working.

We didn't watch it live but found the settings for auto, 720p etc didn't change unless you clicked out of full screen and went to a child window. Can't remember if we paused it as well??
Also you cant jump forward on the time line in full screen? but you could do the above in a child window then flick it back to fullscreen.
That was watching via my sons computer which is in his TV cabinet and linked into his system.
We where trying different modes but found 720p by far the best on a 55" TV.
I found the same with the laptop plugged into my 42" TV at home.
Got the projector sussed now. Pics on the projector via the laptop and sound through the home theater with live timing on the laptop for the next GP.

None of the above a biggie you just have to learn the quirks.

Browsers I also tried Firefox (my default browser) no go! Google chrome is the one.
We shared the cost and can both log in at the same time from different addresses no problem.

tail_end_charlie
10th April 2013, 23:20
Suspect the choice of Flash Player is important

And as i wrote earlier - I downloaded Adobe Flash Player 11.7.700.169. And the download is accompanied by the message - Google Chrome, a fast web browser with optimized Adobe Flash Player integration.

Be interested to know what Flash Player version works for others here?

We didn't watch it live but found the settings for auto, 720p etc didn't change unless you clicked out of full screen and went to a child window. Can't remember if we paused it as well??
Also you cant jump forward on the time line in full screen? but you could do the above in a child window then flick it back to fullscreen.
That was watching via my sons computer which is in his TV cabinet and linked into his system.
We where trying different modes but found 720p by far the best on a 55" TV.
I found the same with the laptop plugged into my 42" TV at home.
Got the projector sussed now. Pics on the projector via the laptop and sound through the home theater with live timing on the laptop for the next GP.

None of the above a biggie you just have to learn the quirks.

Browsers I also tried Firefox (my default browser) no go! Google chrome is the one.
We shared the cost and can both log in at the same time from different addresses no problem.

I use Firefox all the time and haven't had any issues. Well, occasionally it will freeze (of course at the most in-opportune times, like when Rossi first passed Marc - freeze...............................wait and curse.............................wait and curse some more........................un-freeze and Marc is in front of Rossi => looooooootttts of cursing and a bit of thumping the table) but for the most part it is pretty good.

Kendog
11th April 2013, 06:50
I was using Firefox on a Mac, not the most normal combination so I may try Chrome and Safari to see if that is any better.

Mental Trousers
11th April 2013, 09:13
Bump.

I've split all of this lot off into it's own thread

Ntoxcated
11th April 2013, 15:53
Latest announcement from Sky (http://www.skysport.co.nz/article/motorsport/headlines/motogp-announcement-64178/) at 2:53pm

At SKY we acknowledge & appreciate all the feedback our valuable customers have given us on Moto GP. We understand how passionate you are about the sport and how much you want SKY to broadcast Moto GP.

We can assure you that we are working hard to secure rights for the next race. We will update you here on facebook and also on twitter with any new news.

Thanks for your passion, we are Motorsport fans at SKY too and are working hard to secure these rights for NZ television.

Sounds like they haven't given up yet.

Bender
12th April 2013, 13:16
MotoGP "help" suggestion regarding my problem logging in is to make sure I'm using the correct password. What a bunch of troopers ... :rolleyes:

bogan
16th April 2013, 21:32

On the topic of smart TVs, has anybody found one that can log in and play the feed directly? My uncle is upgrading TV, and they don't have a laptop handy so it would be heaps better if the TV could just do it all.

If somebody wants to be a fucking legend they could PM me their login to try out on my Panasonic Viera ;)

t595
16th April 2013, 21:43
Hitler aint to happy about this whole ordeal either!
http://meemsy.com/v/8467

Asher
16th April 2013, 22:02
Has anyone tried logging onto motogp.com from 2 different computers simultaneously? ie 2 people in different houses using the same account to watch it live? .....:innocent:

Badjelly
17th April 2013, 08:17
Hitler aint to happy about this whole ordeal either!
http://meemsy.com/v/8467

After the several thousand previous adaptations of the Hitler rant video :brick:, it shouldn't still be funny :wacko:, but that's brilliant! :niceone:

jasonu
17th April 2013, 12:21
Has anyone tried logging onto motogp.com from 2 different computers simultaneously? ie 2 people in different houses using the same account to watch it live? .....:innocent:

Tightarse..

Asher
17th April 2013, 13:36
Well I don't know about you but 100 euros is quiet a lot of money to me. Although I was more interested to see how well it would run on my laptop before spending that much money.

Dave-
18th April 2013, 10:38
Anyone know if the video pass is clever enough to work out multiple logins?

Say, for example, if a group of students wanted to get together and each put in $20 for a video pass, then we just shared the user info

sources on the Internet suggest it was possible last year...

Dave-
18th April 2013, 11:23
Tightarse..

well you can pay for my sub then seeing as you're so wealthy?

after rent and expenses I have less than $90 a week, see above.

Well I don't know about you but 100 euros is quiet a lot of money to me. Although I was more interested to see how well it would run on my laptop before spending that much money.

Asher I just talked to a mate who might be interested in splitting it 2 ways, maybe we could try for a 3rd?

Asher
18th April 2013, 11:43
Interested, all it will take is someone here with 2 computers to try it. I'm pretty sure it will kick a user out but its worth a shot

denill
18th April 2013, 11:57
Interested, all it will take is someone here with 2 computers to try it. I'm pretty sure it will kick a user out but its worth a shot

FWIW I get the MotoGP website on two PCs. :yes:

BoristheBiter
18th April 2013, 11:58
On the topic of smart TVs, has anybody found one that can log in and play the feed directly? My uncle is upgrading TV, and they don't have a laptop handy so it would be heaps better if the TV could just do it all.

If somebody wants to be a fucking legend they could PM me their login to try out on my Panasonic Viera ;)

I run mine through the browser on the PS3.
It is a bit of a pain as you have to enter everything every time you log on but on the up side it up scales to 1080p.

but try my login which is ...................... oh good one.

jasonu
18th April 2013, 12:39
well you can pay for my sub then seeing as you're so wealthy?

after rent and expenses I have less than $90 a week, see above.

Well if you are that hard up maybe you should rethink how you spend your 'extra' cash.

Dave-
18th April 2013, 14:18
FWIW I get the MotoGP website on two PCs. :yes:

2 PC's at the same address? or at different addresses?

Well if you are that hard up maybe you should rethink how you spend your 'extra' cash.

Thanks for the tip, I'll probably just pirate this weekends race anyway.

denill
18th April 2013, 14:21
2 PC's at the same address? or at different addresses?

Same address.

Dave-
18th April 2013, 14:55
Same address.

hmm, it might still do an ip check then...

I know isky works here and there and everywhere all at the same time.....it must be UDP...

sharky
18th April 2013, 18:23
hmm, it might still do an ip check then...

I know isky works here and there and everywhere all at the same time.....it must be UDP...

I handed my login out to a couple of people for the first race. Different cities and it worked for them no problem. (unsure if it was being watched at the same time though...)

t595
18th April 2013, 22:29
Update from sky 18/4/13
Regretfully, we have not secured the rights to MotoGP. If this changes we will let you know immediately. :brick::brick::motu:

stevereds
19th April 2013, 08:19
I know it wont make any difference to anything but I sent this to them yesterday. Just had to vent a bit.....:woohoo:

Last night I saw a Sky advertisment on one of your channels with Sky trumpeting their motorsport coverage.
That is all very well but the ad concluded with these lines:

"The Ultimate Motorsport Lineup, Sky Sport, The Home of Motorsport."

By definition the "Ultimate" line up MUST include MOTOGP as that is the Premier motorbike racing class in the world.
Would you say "Ultimate" if you did not have F1 car racing?
Your advertising must be in touch with the actual reality of what you are presenting.
If you are choosing not to broadcast MOTOGP then your advertisiment is clearly and patently misleading.

Along with Sky advertising MOTOGP earlier this year and now this hyperbolic ad for something you clearly cannot fulfill I think there may be a case here to present to the Advertising Standards Authority.

After probably 10 years of having it I am cancelling Sky Sport this weekend to offset the Motogp cost.....watch too much damn rugby anyway and this new video ruling where they can go back two plays to check on infringments is doing my bloody head in...

t595
21st April 2013, 19:55
I think sky might be hurting a bit from so many subscription cancellations, just got letter in mail saying there will be a price increase of 91cents. Apparently due too adding more great channels and bringing us the best coverage possible....:tugger::killingme:killingme

Dave-
21st April 2013, 21:14
I think sky might be hurting a bit from so many subscription cancellations, just got letter in mail saying there will be a price increase of 91cents. Apparently due too adding more great channels and bringing us the best coverage possible....:tugger::killingme:killingme

multiply that 91c by the number of sky subscribers in NZ and find the difference between that number and the amount of profit lost by those who left and I think you'll be the one hurting a bit...sorry to say

t595
21st April 2013, 21:49
multiply that 91c by the number of sky subscribers in NZ and find the difference between that number and the amount of profit lost by those who left and I think you'll be the one hurting a bit...sorry to say

Not me.... I just screwed them for a years free movies and sport:shifty:

Warr
22nd April 2013, 06:53
Hadnt seen that before and extra 40 euros for (Enhanced) Multiscreen

Kendog
22nd April 2013, 12:30
When I selected the 'Live feed' I was getting all sorts of pauses and the quality kept changing.
Eventually I noticed the 'Standard player' button, that fixed it.

Warr
22nd April 2013, 13:31
Yes I opted for the "Standard Player" option too after a considerable pause. I thought the picture quality may have improved, but who knows.
My audio during the race is a puzzle.
I feed out of my computer HDMI to the TV which only has stereo out on RCA plugs. No (optical audio out) which is fed into my surround sound amp.
If I use my Chrome Browser. The audio is somewhat lost and mostly appears to feed out center speaker.
If I use IE Browser, audio is fine. Stereo like out left and right speakers

Mm puzzle ... !

BoristheBiter
22nd April 2013, 14:19
Yes I opted for the "Standard Player" option too after a considerable pause. I thought the picture quality may have improved, but who knows.
I feed out of my computer HDMI to the TV which only has stereo out on RCA plugs. No (optical audio out) which is fed into my surround sound amp.
If I use my Chrome Browser. The audio is somewhat lost and mostly appears to feed out center speaker.

Mm puzzle ... !

Shouldn't make a diffence as the audio should be the same.
Check your settings after you plug the tv in.

I had to play around with the computer settings as it wasn't switching over automatically. Have to manually change everything every time I plug the laptop in.

denill
22nd April 2013, 16:57

Mm puzzle ... !

Go to - Control Panel - Hardware & Sound - Sound - Properties (Edit -that's Windows 7)

Then configure as reqd.

I have a USB to HDMI adapter that works fine.

Kendog
22nd April 2013, 19:02
I get some odd audio at times. Seems to help when I click on 'audio mixer' and move the commentary slider a little.

Badjelly
23rd April 2013, 09:48
I get some odd audio at times. Seems to help when I click on 'audio mixer' and move the commentary slider a little.

I noticed the ability to change the balance between ambient and commentary last night. (I just bought a 1-year video pass.) That should come in very handy, as in the past on Sky Sport the ambient noise has sometimes been much too loud.

discodan
23rd April 2013, 09:51
Anyone else hating the new video interface?
Tried watching the races last night and they have removed the option to change the quality, the audio is much worse quality and about 2 seconds behind the video.
Also, when you open the video through the 'no spoilers' link there is a built in news feed embedded in the video to tell you who won.

It was working nicely last year, they had to screw it up didn't they :tugger:

denill
23rd April 2013, 10:50
Tried watching the races last night and they have removed the option to change the quality, the audio is much worse quality and about 2 seconds behind the video.
Also, when you open the video through the 'no spoilers' link there is a built in news feed embedded in the video to tell you who won.

Just FWIW, I have none of those problems?? :confused:

Said before - had problems viewing with FF and IE. Chrome works fine.

discodan
23rd April 2013, 11:12
Just FWIW, I have none of those problems?? :confused:

Said before - had problems viewing with FF and IE. Chrome works fine.

Just tried it in Chrome from work, audio out of sync, laggy at times with an annoying popping noise and the news feed thing is still there. Still can't change the quality and annoying news feed thing still pops up.
This is for the motogp race from COTA.

RobGassit
23rd April 2013, 11:49
I've tried Firefox and Chrome. In both versions a phuckin Spaniard wins. Can anyone help me out?

Kendog
23rd April 2013, 12:12

It was working nicely last year, they had to screw it up didn't they :tugger:
There are two versions of their video player, you want to use the 'Standard' version.
I am not sure yet how to make the standard player open by default, but it solves all the problems you mention except the audio being behind by a couple of seconds.

tail_end_charlie
23rd April 2013, 12:26
I've tried Firefox and Chrome. In both versions a phuckin Spaniard wins. Can anyone help me out?

Yeah, go watch it on Sky Sports and you won't see a Spaniard win...........................:msn-wink:

tail_end_charlie
23rd April 2013, 12:34
I watch it at home on the laptop using Firefox with no problems. However, saying that, I did switch it to the standard version asap because when trying to watch COTA live it was jumping and freezing and such. Worked just fine with the standard version however.

I have also watched it at work (shhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone) and that uses an old IE with no problems. Again, just using the standard player, not the mult-view one.

denill
23rd April 2013, 13:16
Just adding to the confusion - it makes no difference whether I use Standard or any of the other 3 options?

Probably, the broadband quality is the issue?

discodan
23rd April 2013, 13:47

I fixed that, get a bit of duct tape and put and put it across the top of the screen and some pommy bloke will be at the top of the standings.

I think the video player you get depends on the video you watch, I can get the old player with most videos but not the motogp race.
Also I think the problem is at thier end because my bandwidth to a server in Madrid is well over the motogp video bitrate and they probably use an akamai CDN anyway.

Badjelly
23rd April 2013, 14:02
Just adding to the confusion - it makes no difference whether I use Standard or any of the other 3 options?

But it does give you back the button that lets you choose the quality doesn't it? That's what I missed last night.

Kendog
23rd April 2013, 19:26
But it does give you back the button that lets you choose the quality doesn't it? That's what I missed last night.
Those settings only seem to be in the Standard player, not the multi screen player.

Robert Taylor
23rd April 2013, 19:49
Yeah, go watch it on Sky Sports and you won't see a Spaniard win...........................:msn-wink:

YES! You will find a culture that is likely to have Thugby running on all channels at once. Supporting a sport ( including thugby league) where the players beat up their partners and then need ''help'' and ''support'' for their problems

Jamie
24th April 2013, 05:46
Just tried it in Chrome from work, audio out of sync, laggy at times with an annoying popping noise and the news feed thing is still there. Still can't change the quality and annoying news feed thing still pops up.
This is for the motogp race from COTA.

I have the same problem but only for the races that use the new multi screen player

Some of the practice , qualifying sessions and the interviews still use the standard player and they play just fine

I have tried with chrome and firefox on my PC and with my LG smart TV that uses a apple web browser they all worked fine with the standard player but not with multiscreen

:mad::angry2: starting to think i wasted $150

Kendog
24th April 2013, 06:51
:mad::angry2: starting to think i wasted $150
Just use the standard player.

Badjelly
24th April 2013, 09:22
Just use the standard player.

I'm a bit confused here. Is there a way of reverting to the standard player on the videos (e.g. the COTA MotoGP race) that come up with the new multi-screen player? And if so, what?

discodan
24th April 2013, 09:27
I'm a bit confused here. Is there a way of reverting to the standard player on the videos (e.g. the COTA MotoGP race) that come up with the new multi-screen player? And if so, what?

No, I haven't found any way to pick which player to use for a given video - you are stuck with what you get.

... unless Kendog knows something we dont???

discodan
24th April 2013, 09:52
FYI, I got a reply to my query on thier site...

Question:

Hi,
I had a few issues with the new video interface last night. I was watching the
races from COTA (not live) and the video was much more jerky than it has been for
the last couple of years. The video would stop/start and there was a loud popping
noise from the audio whenever this happened.
I know that my connection is OK as I can watch other (higher quality) streaming
videos without any issues.

Also, the audio was out of sync with the video and the news feed embedded in the
video defeats the purpose of having a 'no-spoilers' section as it tells you who
won the race on the right hand side of the video.

Hopefully these issues can be solved before the next round.

Cheers, Daniel.

Response:

Dear discodannz@hotmail.com,

The new video player is the only video player available for the videos of the races now. During the live video, you can switch to the regular live video player.

On the new player, the quality switches automatically depending on your bandwidth.

In regards to the sound issue, we assume you mean in the MotoGP race ? The sounds seem to be an issue in the original sound, in the commentary booth.

Kind Regards,

--
Customer Support
support@motogp.com

Kendog
24th April 2013, 13:00

No, I haven't found any way to pick which player to use for a given video - you are stuck with what you get.

... unless Kendog knows something we dont???
While watching the multi screen player (with the shitty pauses etc) there was a message near the top of the screen that said something like "minimum 2mb connection required" Next to that message was a button that said 'Standard player'
The moment I selected 'Standard player', all the problems went away.
I will have a look during the weekend and see if it is still there.

discodan
24th April 2013, 14:54
While watching the multi screen player (with the shitty pauses etc) there was a message near the top of the screen that said something like "minimum 2mb connection required" Next to that message was a button that said 'Standard player'
The moment I selected 'Standard player', all the problems went away.
I will have a look during the weekend and see if it is still there.

Were you watching it live? I wonder if we could limit our connections when we start watching, switch to standard, and then unlimit the connection.

Kendog
24th April 2013, 18:35
Were you watching it live? I wonder if we could limit our connections when we start watching, switch to standard, and then unlimit the connection.
Yep, this was while watching live on Monday morning.
What connections are you talking about limiting?

RobGassit
24th April 2013, 18:57
Because I'm 8kms from the nearest exchange, and my broadband is using a tricycle to navigate the copper road, by the time it comes up my drive it's having an asthma attack and crawls in my front door on it's hands and knees begging for water and somewhere to lie down. I'm suffering all sorts of freezing and at best have a jumping picture. Sound is good but 2 seconds late. Have resorted to watching at work. Not likely to get the ultra fast bb here either. Can I fork out for a satellite feed? 4g?

Kendog
25th April 2013, 16:55
When I play the race now I only get the multi screen player, no option to select the standard player.

cmoore
25th April 2013, 19:18
same and i don't like it...I havn't paid for multiscreen so why do i get it?? it is annoying as the multiscreen doesn't have the same functions as the original screen

steveyb
26th April 2013, 10:00
Hi All

SKY have finally come clean and admitted they are not broadcasting the MotoGP races this year.

Below I’ve reprinted my sixth email on the subject sent last Sunday and SKY’s response (I’ve edited out some of the bullshit that inevitably accompanies emails from SKY!) :

To SKY:

It's clear that SKY will not be broadcasting the MotoGP motorcycle races this year.
The second GP will be on tonight, and the race does not appear on the electronic program on your website.
This bullshit you have been putting out about "still negotiating" has finally worn thin,
and it's clear that for me to watch the races live I am going to have to spend money on an external feed.
I'm sure you'll appreciate that to have to spend EVEN MORE money to receive my two-wheeled sport
goes totally against the grain. Most especially when I see some of the other sports you broadcast.
And of course anything on four wheels is an AUTOMATIC broadcast!!! Some with additional channels...
I AM NOT PLEASED!!

Their response:

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

SKY’s offer for MotoGP rights has not been accepted. We are disappointed not to be able to bring this event to SKY fans.

If we are valuing the MotoGP too low other free to air Broadcasters will jump on the opportunity to take this sport, just as Prime did with Motor GP a few years ago. MotoGP may be talking to other broadcasters, we are not privy to their discussions but as they have not accepted our offer that is our expectation.

Again, we are sorry for your disappointment, we too hoped for a better outcome, I hope the MotoGP will still be broadcast somewhere this season.

We will certainly advise all SKY customers if the current situation changes.

Please feel free to contact SKY Television Customer Services on 0800 759 759 for further information during weekdays 8am-10pm and weekends 8am-9pm. Alternatively, please respond via return email and we will endeavour to reply within 24 hours.

With kind regards,

SKY Online Support