PDA

View Full Version : For those playhouse fans out there

nudemetalz
11th April 2013, 12:04
My 15 mins of fame...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/local-papers/the-wellingtonian/8536048/Playtime-takes-flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnlOq8wtxAg

dogsnbikes
11th April 2013, 12:21
Well done there Chris.

Paul in NZ
11th April 2013, 12:23
It only took you 15mins?

Cor - well done mate.....

imdying
11th April 2013, 12:29
respect++;

nudemetalz
11th April 2013, 12:33
Cheers all, (and Beaker) :)

Swoop
11th April 2013, 12:38
Great stuff Nudey!

What additions are planned? M-60's?:blip:

nudemetalz
11th April 2013, 12:50
Great stuff Nudey!

What additions are planned? M-60's?:blip:

I seriously considered a pair of door-mounted Nerf water guns....then the water ban came on :(

Scuba_Steve
11th April 2013, 13:09
Out of interest (if you don't mind disclosing & can remember) what did the base structure cost? i.e. the simple square structure before heli looking editions
Also how is it secured to ground? or is it freestanding?

willytheekid
11th April 2013, 13:18
Awesome job Nude! :niceone:

Lol, all the neigbourhood kids will be yelling this out soon
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1761743616/h68E5AC29/
:killingme

next project??...AIR CRAFT CARRIER!!! :msn-wink:

nudemetalz
11th April 2013, 13:46
Out of interest (if you don't mind disclosing & can remember) what did the base structure cost? i.e. the simple square structure before heli looking editions
Also how is it secured to ground? or is it freestanding?

The 100 x 100s (4 of). The base perimeter pieces were 100 x 50 (all H3 of course). The the base itself was old decking timber (100 x 25) I recycled before putting on the plywood floor (which was 7mm). I used 7mm ply throughout but not structurally. The main rotor was 130 x 30 decking timber pieces (which was leftovers also) as was the tail boom and rudder. The tail rotor was 100 x 50s.
I used a heck of lot of 50 x 50's through for the frame work and structure.
Can't remember the costs sorry but from memory the whole chopper cost just over $2K to make. The fixtures (screws, nails, paint) add up like you would not believe !!

In the article it state that it weighed 300kgs. That was basically before the tail boom and rotor went on,..so more like 400kgs.
I made it so the tail boom section unbolts so it can be transported a bit easier if need be. All of the panels are small sections so if the kids break one it's easier to replace.
Not fixed to the ground as it's heavy enough already. I had to dig a couple of holes to level it in the lawn as the lawn's not quite flat.
Had some horrendous winds here test it and nothing broke or moved.

Banditbandit
11th April 2013, 14:02
Hey - that's cool ... lucky kids ...

Laava
11th April 2013, 14:30
Awesome job nudey!
I did something along those lines partly to use up some surplus building materials but I still had to buy some framing. Then I made some "shiplap" with scraps of shadowclad ply and see for yourself.

Laava
11th April 2013, 14:35
OMG I just realised that pic 2 reminds me of an old Sex Pistols song, "the figurehead was a whore in bed, and the bowsprit was a penis!"

nudemetalz
11th April 2013, 14:45
That's awesome, Laava !!

I just had my radio interview with Jim Mora. Seemed to go okay. He kept asking, "can anyone do this?". I kept saying well yes, but you need to know how to drill a hole and sort of know something a bit structures and triangulation load-bearing. Like, it ain't gonna fall over and fall apart in our famous winds here in Welly !!

HenryDorsetCase
11th April 2013, 15:07
That's awesome, Laava !!

I just had my radio interview with Jim Mora. Seemed to go okay. He kept asking, "can anyone do this?". I kept saying well yes, but you need to know how to drill a hole and sort of know something a bit structures and triangulation load-bearing. Like, it ain't gonna fall over and fall papart in our famous winds here in Welly !!

I heard a bit of that interview: kudos. Finished product looks great.

does the top rotor turn? cos that would be cool in the wind!

Laava
11th April 2013, 15:15
I heard a bit of that interview: kudos. Finished product looks great.

Plus you will need a huge iceblock stick in the spokes to make it go "thwop thwop"

imdying
11th April 2013, 15:50

Plus you will need a huge iceblock stick in the spokes to make it go "thwop thwop"

Totally approve! :lol:

nudemetalz
11th April 2013, 16:06
Both the main and tail rotor do spin but are far to heavy to move in the wind, plus I haven't machined any aerofoil into them. Just basic timber.
I just didn't want to have a 160km/h windy day in Newlands and watch the tail rotor spin it's arse off and depart from the fin to fly through the house !! :eek5:

Dunno about a huge ice-cream stick but sound effects would be good.
Did think about setting up speakers in it and have a plug in ghetto with a recording of a Huey to play :)

Zedder
11th April 2013, 16:27
Great stuff there. Yep, a sound system would be good, maybe play the Ride of the Valkyries from "Apocalypse now".

I love the smell of H3 in the morning...

Laava
11th April 2013, 17:11
Paint it Black at low altitude.

nudemetalz
11th April 2013, 18:00
Paint it Black at low altitude.

I'm hearing ya....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6fcd--354