PDA

View Full Version : Len Perry

What?
27th December 2002, 10:41
I meant to write this a couple of days back, but I guess it is better late than never...

Former New Zealand Motorcycling champion and doyen of much recent competition, Leonard Valentine Perry passsed away peacefully at home aged 90 on the morning of December 23rd.

For those who know little of Len, the MNZ website has a story.. Go to www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz

SPman
30th December 2002, 22:07
Thats sad to hear. (Having been away from all news for a week (bliss)), at least he reached a ripe old age and was racing until a year or two ago wasnt he?

What?
1st January 2003, 20:00
Yeah, Len retired for the last time nine years ago. He had retired several times prior to that, but the final straw came with an off at the hairpin at Paeroa. He did still ride regularity events, though, right up until about a year ago. His last high-profile ride was a lap of honour with Giacomo Agostini and co. at the Classic festival last year.
Hope I can still ride at 90.:)

denill
14th January 2003, 07:06
I was very fortunate to be at the same table as Len and his wife at a dinner function.

That was more than 20 years ago but I have enduring memories of that occasion. It was both interesting and humourous as Len and a couple of other motorcycling characters bounced off each other.

The Guy had spirit and was a prime example of what is needed to make it in life and pursuits.

What?
15th January 2003, 06:01
I know exactly what you mean. Len had been for dinner at our abode a couple of times - both were drawn out meals as it is hard to swallow when you are laughing...

Some of Len's tales were possibly not 100% historically accurate, but they were always amusing, and Yes, he did demonstrate that you have to live your life, not get wrapped in cotton wool as our pollies would have us.:D