PDA

View Full Version : Help a Noob

wkid_one
10th January 2004, 22:36
I have an idea.......no wait - please listen........

Given my recent 'disaster' on the road......and consequent isolation from road riding......I have somehow been convinced to look at a Dirt Bike (with Motard options).

Now I was thinking - this isn't a silly idea.......not only will I get the joys of a trail bike (something I haven't really done) -- but with a spare set of rims and road tyres - I am able to compete in the Super Motard races also....

Now - with all my knowledge of trail bikes fitting in to a vessel closely resembling a thimble but smaller - I need help.

The trail bike is first - with the motard option coming in second......what bike should I get.....the following are ones I have been shown thus far...

CR250
KDX200
DRZ400
KTM400SX

Now any and all help is appreciated.......if their is someone in Wellington that would like to help me even better.........

Dan

Firefight
11th January 2004, 06:16
I have an idea.......no wait - please listen........

The trail bike is first - with the motard option coming in second......what bike should I get.....the following are ones I have been shown thus far...

CR250
KDX200
DRZ400
KTM400SX

Now any and all help is appreciated.......if their is someone in Wellington that would like to help me even better.........

Dan

Hey Dan, try a CRF 450, few have been motarded up here and are rockets,
as to what sort of traily you need, what sort of trail rides are available down there ?, In tight twisty or slippery steep rides 250 4 strokes work well, however long open stuff 250 two strokes or 400+ 4 strokes rock.

How far would you travel to get an off road fix??, fore eg, would you consider driving up to Ohakune ?,Year ride at National Park "Desert Storm" .
Do you have a preference for two/four stroke ??. Will pm you with some other info,

Firefight.

boris
11th January 2004, 08:33
i have i friend with a drz400 after riding this its what i would go for.Also had a ride on a wr250 this thing flys too but you have to rev the snot out of it.My mate with a kx250 hasn't let me have a ride yet.The drz is the cheapist.

Boris

wkid_one
11th January 2004, 09:37
Hey Dan, try a CRF 450, few have been motarded up here and are rockets,
as to what sort of traily you need, what sort of trail rides are available down there ?, In tight twisty or slippery steep rides 250 4 strokes work well, however long open stuff 250 two strokes or 400+ 4 strokes rock.

How far would you travel to get an off road fix??, fore eg, would you consider driving up to Ohakune ?,Year ride at National Park "Desert Storm" .
Do you have a preference for two/four stroke ??. Will pm you with some other info,

Firefight.
Sweet man...I already have the bike trailer so getting places is no drama - plus with a company car it is even better.

I would look to learn the ropes first - then look at the racing etc. I went to a couple of the races at Woodhill and was quite impressed.

As for 2 or 4 stroke - I KNOW NOTHING. Been told the 4 would be better for me initially with a more predictable power delivery - but I LOVE the 2 stroke sound.

ANy and all advice is appreciated by anyone as I know feck all.......but shit DB's are cheap.....my god - this is where I should have been all along

spudchucka
11th January 2004, 16:57
Been thinking along the lines of TTR600 myself. I've always had a soft spot for big singles and twins.

The TLS is great but the potential for getting myself in the poo worries me greatly. Might look at trading next summer.

wkid_one
11th January 2004, 21:01
Been thinking along the lines of TTR600 myself. I've always had a soft spot for big singles and twins.

The TLS is great but the potential for getting myself in the poo worries me greatly. Might look at trading next summer.
Yeah that is my exact thoughts about the R1.....I either would have ridden myself in to the grave or a court appearance

spudchucka
12th January 2004, 07:19
Yeah that is my exact thoughts about the R1.....I either would have ridden myself in to the grave or a court appearance

The problem with big super / hyper sport bikes is that they are only really fun when you are letting them do what they are designed to do, go fast. Great if you only ride on the track but if you want to avoid sustaining a highly spectacular death or getting your arse kicked in Court, they aint the best choice.

Personally I couldn't get on a sedate cruiser style of bike, its just not me. A big thumping enduro bike on the other hand would be great for the adrenaline gland and lower the risk of an expensive and embaressing trip to the local Court. Could still kill yourself reasonably spectacularly though!!

XRNR
12th January 2004, 23:37
Been thinking along the lines of TTR600 myself.
:D
:D Air cooled simplicity.

There is a nice :2thumbsup already motarded (and streetable) watercooled XR650R at off road motorcycles in Kumeu (AK). Drewl...

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 07:26
The problem with big super / hyper sport bikes is that they are only really fun when you are letting them do what they are designed to do, go fast. Great if you only ride on the track but if you want to avoid sustaining a highly spectacular death or getting your arse kicked in Court, they aint the best choice.

Personally I couldn't get on a sedate cruiser style of bike, its just not me. A big thumping enduro bike on the other hand would be great for the adrenaline gland and lower the risk of an expensive and embaressing trip to the local Court. Could still kill yourself reasonably spectacularly though!!
This is the driving force behind getting the bike - that and I don't need my license!

Well - this weekend I went out on the trail.....hmmmmm.....rode a YZF426, DRZ400e and KDX.......my god......fun is not the word, tired is not the word.....

You can forget how easy it is to ride modern sports bikes fast. My R1 was easy to drag my knee on than the VTR - even with gob loads more clearance and suspension. But - riding a trail bike fast is a WHOLE different story......in fact road bikes a boring in comparison

I had some great offs too----wicked!

I love it, I am hooked......I am on holiday all next week and am wondering if it is possible to ride a trail from Wellington to Auckland without seeing a road???

merv
26th January 2004, 17:45
Wkid I presume you won't be signing up for the Pukemanu Adventure Ride because you still need to be able to do some on-road riding for that - i.e. licenced and with bike rego'd for the road.

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 17:54
Fuck - truely.......oh well - my bike won't be road registered regardless of having a license........no way me paying money to the ACC Antichrist......

Hitcher
26th January 2004, 17:54
I suspect that we would be adventure riding by now if Mrs Hitcher's inside leg measurement wasn't a limiting factor...

wkid_one
26th January 2004, 17:57
mmmmm Ms Hitcher's inside leg.........:shifty: