PDA

View Full Version : Shorai lithium batteries

HornetBoy
23rd April 2013, 16:58
Hey all ,

Just thought I would do a little write up of my new bit of tech I've received today !

Seeing that i have swapped the rear shock in my yellow beauty for a Ninja ZX636 05 rear shocker , i have been having to deal with a serious lack of room in the battery compartment ,due to the reservoir present on the Kawa shock (there is no reservoir on the stock sv shock).

On the USA SV forums, they usually cut out numerous parts of the battery box and put in loads of spacers and washers in order to shimmy the undertray down/back slightly in order to stop the battery rubbing the rear shock.I thought i would go a different route and try out something ive been curious about for some time ...A Shorai battery.

I took this route because from what i could see online, it is significantly smaller than then stock battery and would allow me to create adequate room for the new shock to move around in if need be (in addition to the benefits of having a lithium battery)

Just like everyone seems to say, i had no idea the courier parcel was my battery until i opened the box up , its so dam light ! I took the stock battery out to compare and it was also pretty much half the width :first:

Installed the battery in the SV and it fit perfectly (there is ample padding in the box which you can use to customize the fit in your bike ) .Bike started up with ease (though i'm not sure if i could say it was anything better or worse than the lead/acid battery ) .Still , really happy with the battery .

Purchased from Biggles NZ website and it arrive within a few days so a big thumbs up to him :niceone:

Will update with the performance over the "Winter months" .I have read online Lithium batteries may be a little hard to warm-up/start in the colder months,not too sure if that is really appropriate in Wellington or not so we will see .

Edbear
23rd April 2013, 17:34
Good to hear, keep us posted on how it goes. If you're starting the bike up a few times to check things, do remember to charge the battery, eh? I'm not saying for a minute that you are like that, but one guy queried why the battery had gone flat after a few days of starting the bike to tune it and check it...

HornetBoy
23rd April 2013, 18:29
Good to hear, keep us posted on how it goes. If you're starting the bike up a few times to check things, do remember to charge the battery, eh? I'm not saying for a minute that you are like that, but one guy queried why the battery had gone flat after a few days of starting the bike to tune it and check it...

Cheers, im being as careful as i can , dont want to brick the thing .

I ride the bike daily so im guessing so long as im doing that i shouldnt need a dedicated charger ? (ive got a techmate optimate 4 but i know that is no good for lithiums as it has auto desulphate cycle which you cannot turn off :()

Edbear
23rd April 2013, 18:40
Cheers, im being as careful as i can , dont want to brick the thing .

I ride the bike daily so im guessing so long as im doing that i shouldnt need a dedicated charger ? (ive got a techmate optimate 4 but i know that is no good for lithiums as it has auto desulphate cycle which you cannot turn off :()

Yeah that's fine, do check your charging system over for any loose wiring or dodgy connections. Mind you if you've built it up you will probably have it pretty well sorted. Just test the charging output that it is consistent and around 13.8v when running.

You should only require a tender if there is key-off draw by an alarm system or such like. But definitely don't use your charger. The Shorai one is the perfect charger/tender of course and well priced by comparison with other good ones, so if you are thinking of getting another charger, check what Marcus will do you one for.

pete-blen
23rd April 2013, 19:11
Was in at DAS tonight... Lintens offsider "put name here" handed me one....
dam are they light or what... DAS have a shipment arriveing... think
the XT going to get one at that weight....

Edbear
23rd April 2013, 19:16
was in at das tonight... Lintens offsider "put name here" handed me one....
Dam are they light or what... Das have a shipment arriveing... Think
the xt going to get one at that weight....

das?

HornetBoy
23rd April 2013, 19:16
Yeah that's fine, do check your charging system over for any loose wiring or dodgy connections. Mind you if you've built it up you will probably have it pretty well sorted. Just test the charging output that it is consistent and around 13.8v when running.

You should only require a tender if there is key-off draw by an alarm system or such like. But definitely don't use your charger. The Shorai one is the perfect charger/tender of course and well priced by comparison with other good ones, so if you are thinking of getting another charger, check what Marcus will do you one for.

Ok thanks for that . It was going to be my other question, where the heck do i get one of the Shorai chargers from in NZ ? I'd be really keen on getting one as id rather be safe than sorry i think now that i have it.

Edbear
23rd April 2013, 19:18
Ok thanks for that . It was going to be my other question, where the heck do i get one of the Shorai chargers from in NZ ? I'd be really keen on getting one as id rather be safe than sorry i think now that i have it.

No problem, I have about 58 dealers throughout NZ so far and more ringing every day... :msn-wink:

HornetBoy
23rd April 2013, 19:20
No problem, I have about 58 dealers throughout NZ so far and more ringing every day... :msn-wink:

so if i were to head into Wellington Motorcycles ,they would have one in (im sure i read somewhere they are dealers for Shorai ? ) . Otherwise if you could point me to anyone's online site ill do it that way :niceone:

Edbear
23rd April 2013, 19:32
so if i were to head into Wellington Motorcycles ,they would have one in (im sure i read somewhere they are dealers for Shorai ? ) . Otherwise if you could point me to anyone's online site ill do it that way :niceone:

If they haven't they can get one in a day. I think Emoto in Chch have an active website to promote them, not sure about any others. Wellington Motorcycles should have them on theirs.

But even if you go back to Marcus' website he could get one just as quickly.

HornetBoy
23rd April 2013, 19:41
If they haven't they can get one in a day. I think Emoto in Chch have an active website to promote them, not sure about any others. Wellington Motorcycles should have them on theirs.

But even if you go back to Marcus' website he could get one just as quickly.

cheers, have sent Marcus @ Biggles nz a email so hopefulyl he can sort me out then :niceone:

Kickaha
23rd April 2013, 20:13
das? ....

Dirt Action Services

Edbear
23rd April 2013, 20:18
Dirt Action Services

Ahah, I was talking to a guy about them today, probably a connection there.

Biggles08
8th May 2013, 20:39
cheers, have sent Marcus @ Biggles nz a email so hopefulyl he can sort me out then :niceone:
Doh! after that awesome review I let you down with not getting back to you re charger for ages! Thanks for the review and good words mate, glad you like the battery! :niceone:

HornetBoy
8th May 2013, 21:39
Doh! after that awesome review I let you down with not getting back to you re charger for ages! Thanks for the review and good words mate, glad you like the battery! :niceone:

No problem Biggles , will be updating this thread with how the battery goes during the frosty months aswell .

So far , no problems what so ever , bike seems to start with minimal crank everytime , even when ive left accessory cables attached.Check the voltage regularly and it does'nt waiver from its proper level.
I have to add, it seems to be a complete upgrade to the lead acid battery before it in that regard (on top of being light as a feather and smaller).

Well worth the extra pennies for me :headbang:

Edbear
9th May 2013, 07:33
No problem Biggles , will be updating this thread with how the battery goes during the frosty months aswell .

So far , no problems what so ever , bike seems to start with minimal crank everytime , even when ive left accessory cables attached.Check the voltage regularly and it does'nt waiver from its proper level.
I have to add, it seems to be a complete upgrade to the lead acid battery before it in that regard (on top of being light as a feather and smaller).

Well worth the extra pennies for me :headbang:

Those extra pennies will have bought you a lot extra time, too. The technology is being developed rapidly now and Shorai advise they will be releasing higher rated batteries toward the end of the year.

Edbear
15th May 2013, 11:44
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/226456_495265197201433_1785518197_n.jpg

Edbear
17th May 2013, 09:48
http://blog.shoraipower.com/upcomingevents/shorai-indonesia/

:niceone: