PDA

View Full Version : North Island: Travelling through Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Gisborne, 25-28 April

bosslady
23rd April 2013, 17:19
Hi All, Nerrrd and I are travelling through Waikato, Bay of Plenty and Gisborne starting on Thursday morning (Anzac Day) in Auckland and returning (to Auckland) on Sunday late afternoon. The plan is to do some camping... we'll see how well that goes *looks nervously at the weather outside* Anyway... if anyone is keen to catch up with us a long the way/stalk us we'll be stopping at the following destinations (of course depending on what's happening, some of these are tentative!). And of course, if anyone is keen to come a long for a day, a night or the whole schlog - the more the merrier!

MAP: http://tinyurl.com/csdl35t

Day 1:

Meet at the Autobahn Cafe in Papakura, Thursday 25th at approx. 9:30am - Aim is to leave no later than 10am.
Thames, Waikato 81km
LUNCH - Star and Garter Hotel, Kapanga Road, Coromandel - have called them and they said they will be open at 12pm 54km
Whitianga, Waikato 42km
Whangamata, Waikato 76km
Waihi, Waikato 30km

Total: approx. 283km

Day 2:

Waihi, Waikato. Leaving ??? Depends how we feel I guess...
Te Puke, Bay Of Plenty (may stop at Browny's Brewery and Motorcycle Museum instead for breakfast if they're still open and do breakfast's, couldn't find their number...) 86km
Whakatane, Bay Of Plenty 67km
Opotiki, Bay Of Plenty 44km
Te Kaha, Bay Of Plenty 67km
Te Araroa, Gisborne 91km we may change this to Waihau Bay after reading some not so great reviews about accomm. in Te Araroa

Total: approx. 355km

Day 3:

Te Araroa, Gisborne. Leaving ???
Tokomaru Bay, Gisborne 79km
Gisborne 90km
Frasertown, Hawke's Bay 94km
Lake Waikaremoana, Urewera National Park, Hawke's Bay 50km Depending on how bad (or good?) the weather is, we may need to change our final destination and Day 4's travel plans!!

Total: approx. 313km

Day 4:

Lake Waikaremoana, Urewera National Park, Hawke's Bay. Leaving ???
Murupara, Bay Of Plenty 101km
Rotorua, Bay Of Plenty 62km
Matamata, Waikato 67km
Maybe a quick stop somewhere between for a stretch.
Autobahn Cafe Papakura, Auckland 132km

Total: approx. 362km

Also if anyone has any tips or ideas of things to see/where to go. I think we've got a sufficient amount of not so easy roads especially on the way to Lake Waikaremoana so we don't want to stress our wee brains out too much!

Chur!

Maha
23rd April 2013, 17:27
A lot of gravel from Frasertown/Murupara...well, Te whaiti really...about 120kms of gravel.
I have worked at Ruatahuna a few times over the years and the locals use to say '' if you break down or get a flat tyre, don't leave your vehicle''.

bosslady
23rd April 2013, 17:30
A lot of gravel from Frasertown/Murupara...well, Te whaiti really. Yea, Nerrrd and I have had a bit of discussion over it after reading this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/156077-Sh-38 that's why the final stop for the night on day 3 is tentative, depends how the weather is/how we feel! But, if we make it, we've decided that we both deserve multiple brewskies (and he's buying!).

FJRider
23rd April 2013, 18:50
Looks like a good trip. Long range weather forecast looks good. Saturday might get a small amount of dampness though.

Sketch may need to clock up a few km's over the weekend ... if he wants to keep up with your mileage ... :laugh: Send him a link to a GN on Trademe perhaps ..

Blackbird
23rd April 2013, 18:54
You'll get a warm welcome at Coromandel Star and Garter. Karen, the owner, rides a Harley!

bosslady
23rd April 2013, 18:57
Looks like a good trip. Long rang weather forecast looks good. Saturday might get a small amount of dampness though.

Sketch may need to clock up a few km's over the weekend ... if he wants to keep up with your mileage ... :laugh: Send him a link to a GN on Trademe perhaps .. Hahahaha cheeky!

You'll get a warm welcome at Coromandel Star and Garter. Karen, the owner, rides a Harley! Really? gross.... haha just joking. Anyway yes I googled biker friendly pubs and they came up.

duckonin
23rd April 2013, 19:25
A lot of gravel from Frasertown/Murupara...well, Te whaiti really...about 120kms of gravel.
I have worked at Ruatahuna a few times over the years and the locals use to say '' if you break down or get a flat tyre, don't leave your vehicle''.

Yep , now that is 100%. Spent a fair bit of time in the area myself...And beware of horses on the road edge/road not that you can go that fast. Past Rua you get to a side road that takes you to 'maungapohatu', to get caught, ' out of gas ect' in this area is trouble. I think, but you may need to check gas is still availible at the Ruatahuna store, but would cost you at least 1/2 a kilo of good green shit if needed.. Geat area to ride through tho, kick back and take your time ...Call in at the Hopurahine landing, 'after the Mokau landing', (DOC) Information stop worth a look, well it was 25years back...:rolleyes:

bosslady
23rd April 2013, 19:49
Yep , now that is 100%. Spent a fair bit of time in the area myself...And beware of horses on the road edge/road not that you can go that fast. Past Rua you get to a side road that takes you to 'maungapohatu', to get caught, ' out of gas ect' in this area is trouble. I think, but you may need to check gas is still availible at the Ruatahuna store, but would cost you at least 1/2 a kilo of good green shit if needed.. Geat area to ride through tho, kick back and take your time ...Call in at the Hopurahine landing, 'after the Mokau landing', (DOC) Information stop worth a look, well it was 25years back...:rolleyes:

Is there no fuel around the lake?

insomnia01
23rd April 2013, 19:53
Maraehako retreat @ Whangarua bay is a better choice over Waihau Bay or te araroa to stay, great host & certainly worth stopping at :niceone:

leathel
23rd April 2013, 19:54
Personally I would not be going through the long gravel stretch from Waikaremoana through as you will need to get in the loose stuff at times when holiday makers hoon through with boat trailers on, I have been in the drain a few times avoiding dickheads on that road. It would not be that much longer time wise to go down and cross 5 or back up 2 and across 30... not missing much missing out on Murapara

Last 4x4 run I was on a few of the boys got smashed windows on the gravel section near Ruatahuna... some locals were not to happy about them for some reason, Dont know they may have being going to quick??

I will be doing a Run thursday to run in a new tyre so may touch base at the Autobarn and tag along for a bit?? Depends on if I get the new plugs in etc on time.... Roses Ginny is almost ready for a run too... but wont be legal before then :)

leathel
23rd April 2013, 19:56
Is there no fuel around the lake?

From memory the camp ground has fuel??

P.S. dont mean to knock that road too much but rain + slips and being its not at the start of the ride it could turn to custard if you are tired.... We got locked in with slips in January a couple of years ago :)

bosslady
23rd April 2013, 20:04
Maraehako retreat @ Whangarua bay is a better choice over Waihau Bay or te araroa to stay, great host & certainly worth stopping at :niceone:
Thanks I'll check it out. Originally thought te araroa motorcamp but the reviews made it sound a bit grotty.

Personally I would not be going through the long gravel stretch from Waikaremoana through as you will need to get in the loose stuff at times when holiday makers hoon through with boat trailers on, I have been in the drain a few times avoiding dickheads on that road. It would not be that much longer time wise to go down and cross 5 or back up 2 and across 30... not missing much missing out on Murapara

Last 4x4 run I was on a few of the boys got smashed windows on the gravel section near Ruatahuna... some locals were not to happy about them for some reason, Dont know they may have being going to quick??

I will be doing a Run thursday to run in a new tyre so may touch base at the Autobarn and tag along for a bit?? Depends on if I get the new plugs in etc on time.... Roses Ginny is almost ready for a run too... but wont be legal before then :)

Good idea, nerrrd and I might likely think on going through 5 and 30, we'll see how we feel but keep that option open for sure! I imagine we'll be well tired by then anyway. And yes tag along, more than welcome! Just remember it's the papakura autobahn so you'd have to get off at papakura then get back on heading south, so u can get to the autobahn. I'll send u my mobile number, let me know if you think you'll be there.m

Grashopper
23rd April 2013, 21:14
Sounds like a great trip. Have fun. :)

Are you texting to someone where you are at, just in case?

bosslady
23rd April 2013, 21:16
Sounds like a great trip. Have fun. :)

Are you texting to someone where you are at, just in case?

Dunno, maybe. Cell reception may lack at times.

FJRider
23rd April 2013, 22:23
Dunno, maybe. Cell reception may lack at times.

Your planned route posted above will make it easy to track your movements, and stops. I'm thinking plenty will remember you (and a red GN)

The End
23rd April 2013, 22:42
Mightttttt be available for the first leg on Thursday (keyword: might). Although probably only to Thames.

sketch
23rd April 2013, 22:59
Looks like a good trip. Long range weather forecast looks good. Saturday might get a small amount of dampness though.

Sketch may need to clock up a few km's over the weekend ... if he wants to keep up with your mileage ... :laugh: Send him a link to a GN on Trademe perhaps ..

im coming up that way to but not quite that far damn it, we could of had our drag (pissing contest) im thinking wellys to taupo on thursday heading across to napier on the friday and back home on the satday

bosslady
24th April 2013, 07:22
Mightttttt be available for the first leg on Thursday (keyword: might). Although probably only to Thames. Nothin wrong with that! Let us know. Do you have my cell number?

im coming up that way to but not quite that far damn it, we could of had our drag (pissing contest) im thinking wellys to taupo on thursday heading across to napier on the friday and back home on the satday You taking Friday off too?

leathel
24th April 2013, 07:26
Thanks I'll check it out. Originally thought te araroa motorcamp but the reviews made it sound a bit grotty.

Good idea, nerrrd and I might likely think on going through 5 and 30, we'll see how we feel but keep that option open for sure! I imagine we'll be well tired by then anyway. And yes tag along, more than welcome! Just remember it's the papakura autobahn so you'd have to get off at papakura then get back on heading south, so u can get to the autobahn. I'll send u my mobile number, let me know if you think you'll be there.m

Yup often meet other riders at the Autobarn, Starting point for a ride in the weekend as well

Does Kiwibiker have a emergency breakdown group? another forum I am on has contacts in most areas on a list for those that join in... handy on road trips. (obviously not with the exact address for security reasons)

I should be there at the start but will let you know if not, If its wet I will pass as its not to flash on a new tyre in the wet unless I get a ride in today to put some miles on it in the dry first.

Have a great trip if I don't catch up with you :)

FJRider
24th April 2013, 08:33
Does Kiwibiker have a emergency breakdown group? another forum I am on has contacts in most areas on a list for those that join in... handy on road trips. (obviously not with the exact address for security reasons)

There is such a thread in the forums ... but a text to a friend in any part of the country can get help arranged in whatever area you are.

FJRider
24th April 2013, 08:38

Found the thread.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/4385-Members-offering-help?highlight=Emergency+contacts

sketch
24th April 2013, 10:21
Nothin wrong with that! Let us know. Do you have my cell number?

You taking Friday off too?

yea 4 day wknd. Booked it weeks ago

bosslady
24th April 2013, 10:35
yea 4 day wknd. Booked it weeks ago
Ditto. Waste of time going to work for one day.

The End
24th April 2013, 12:37
Ditto. Waste of time going to work for one day.

Hehehehehe, I'm off till the 5th of May. So much time for riding - If only the weather would sort itself out!

And yet they claim students have it hard :bleh:

bosslady
24th April 2013, 13:42
Hehehehehe, I'm off till the 5th of May. So much time for riding - If only the weather would sort itself out!

And yet they claim students have it hard :bleh: Bludger, living off my not really hard earned tax dollars! Just joking, you're probably not, don't know how it works these days!

The End
24th April 2013, 15:12
Bludger, living off my not really hard earned tax dollars! Just joking, you're probably not, don't know how it works these days!

I'd be happy to pay tax, if I could find a damn job!

bosslady
24th April 2013, 16:40
I'd be happy to pay tax, if I could find a damn job!Brofessional Man Whore. I'm sure it pays heaps.

nerrrd
24th April 2013, 19:02
Just rode home in the steadiest rain we've had in Auckland for ages...must remember to pack concrete pills.

bosslady
24th April 2013, 19:57
Just rode home in the steadiest rain we've had in Auckland for ages...must remember to pack concrete pills.

or an extra pairs of balls

trapster66
24th April 2013, 20:26
Heya,
I'm based in Gissy, somewhere to stay coming round the east cape, there is a motel at lottin point(google lottin point motel) which i've heard is really good or the hicks bay motel which is basic but it does have a restaurant with not bad feeds and a bar:beer:,(take some insect repellant)
i would recommend either place over staying at Te Araroa, if you have time a putt out to the east cape light house(about 30mins ride from Te Araroa, just check with locals if the road is passable) is worth a look although there is 742 steps up to the light house itself,if you can make the effort (and like panorama views)it is worth the effort...
Coming down the coast to Tokomaru Bay, as you enter the township turn left when you get to the beach and ride to the end of the road, here are ruins of the old meatworks and surrounding buildings also the wharf(tread with caution) just so happens that you will pass a pub along the way which has cold beer and good food:msn-wink:
further down to Tolaga Bay, the tolaga bay wharf is worth a look.(through the town heading south,first left past the 70km/h sign) at 640 mtrs long its the longest wharf in N.Z(sorry no pub here<_<)

if you want any more info just holler and i'll do my best to help...
My mighty steed is'nt quite up to riding up to meet you but wish you all the best,

nerrrd
24th April 2013, 20:37
or an extra pairs of balls

Only got one (pair, that is), won't stop me crying like a leetle girl if I have to :crybaby:.

You're not bringing any then?

bosslady
24th April 2013, 20:44
Only got one (pair, that is), won't stop me crying like a leetle girl if I have to :crybaby:.

You're not bringing any then?

they live on my chest

nerrrd
24th April 2013, 20:51
they live on my chest

Probably bigger than mine.

So no acquaintance balls either, I guess.

FJRider
24th April 2013, 20:53
they live on my chest

One of you better have warm hands then ... <_<

nerrrd
24th April 2013, 21:05
One of you better have warm hands then ... <_<

Another win for heated grips. Thanks, Mr BMW!

nerrrd
24th April 2013, 21:25
Heya,
I'm based in Gissy, somewhere to stay coming round the east cape, there is a motel at lottin point(google lottin point motel) which i've heard is really good or the hicks bay motel which is basic but it does have a restaurant with not bad feeds and a bar:beer:,(take some insect repellant)
i would recommend either place over staying at Te Araroa, if you have time a putt out to the east cape light house(about 30mins ride from Te Araroa, just check with locals if the road is passable) is worth a look although there is 742 steps up to the light house itself,if you can make the effort (and like panorama views)it is worth the effort...
Coming down the coast to Tokomaru Bay, as you enter the township turn left when you get to the beach and ride to the end of the road, here are ruins of the old meatworks and surrounding buildings also the wharf(tread with caution) just so happens that you will pass a pub along the way which has cold beer and good food:msn-wink:
further down to Tolaga Bay, the tolaga bay wharf is worth a look.(through the town heading south,first left past the 70km/h sign) at 640 mtrs long its the longest wharf in N.Z(sorry no pub here<_<)

if you want any more info just holler and i'll do my best to help...
My mighty steed is'nt quite up to riding up to meet you but wish you all the best,

Hey thanks a lot for for the tips.

And thanks everyone else for the info above.

bosslady
24th April 2013, 22:18
Hey thanks a lot for for the tips.

And thanks everyone else for the info above.

I ditto that. Signing off now yo. Likely not checking this in the morn so peeps who gonna drop by just text me. Ciao.

bosslady
25th April 2013, 15:11
Well were sure as hell not going to waikaremoana my bike is wobbly as heck with all the weight and width of my crap!!

FJRider
25th April 2013, 15:27
Well were sure as hell not going to waikaremoana my bike is wobbly as heck with all the weight and width of my crap!!

Lesson number one in Motorcycle Touring ... what you can't carry you don't need.

Lesson two ... learning what you can carry but can do without.

leathel
25th April 2013, 16:32
Get Nerds extra bungees to secure the bags better, those tie downs you have are good but no movement is better ;)

Vertical pack rack to tie the extras so they don't hang over the sides will help too, Keep an eye out they can be cheap as chips.

Hope you can keep skirting the weather, was a nice trip with you two this morning (very economical trip for me, 150k's on 5.7 liters) good to settle my new tyre in before Saturdays ride :)

bosslady
25th April 2013, 19:19
Get Nerds extra bungees to secure the bags better, those tie downs you have are good but no movement is better ;)

Vertical pack rack to tie the extras so they don't hang over the sides will help too, Keep an eye out they can be cheap as chips.

Hope you can keep skirting the weather, was a nice trip with you two this morning (very economical trip for me, 150k's on 5.7 liters) good to settle my new tyre in before Saturdays ride :)

I think it's the bag with the tent, mattress, sleeping bag etc it's too wide. it's pretty well secured so only has minimal movement but it's too heavy and too far over either side of my bike, taking a corner I really nearly shit my pants, bike feels like it's gonna drop, it's not but you know. last time I pack so much shit on a tiny wee bike like mine. Also doesn't help I've been through more tight corners today then I have in my 4.5 months of riding and the roads have had fresh rain on em. least it didn't rain much until whangamata.

JafaSaffer
25th April 2013, 20:52

I may be keen to meet you Sunday somewhere then ride back to Auckland with you. Matamata maybe. Let me know what time you expect to be there.

bosslady
26th April 2013, 07:40
I may be keen to meet you Sunday somewhere then ride back to Auckland with you. Matamata maybe. Let me know what time you expect to be there.

Sure. We'll see how we go.

arcane12
26th April 2013, 11:26
I'd be keen to ride from around Matamata for a while. Maybe even Rotorua perhaps. Speaking of, depending on when you pass through Rotorua you might be interested in http://brewpub.co.nz/ It's the local outlet for the Croucher Brewery, I've been meaning to have a look at it one day, when I can justify the journey for a beer! (that's one expenive beer)

So if you get a chance to think about where you might want to meet in the Waikato, post or text!

Maha
26th April 2013, 11:47
I think it's the bag with the tent, mattress, sleeping bag etc it's too wide. it's pretty well secured so only has minimal movement but it's too heavy and too far over either side of my bike, taking a corner I really nearly shit my pants, bike feels like it's gonna drop, it's not but you know. last time I pack so much shit on a tiny wee bike like mine. Also doesn't help I've been through more tight corners today then I have in my 4.5 months of riding and the roads have had fresh rain on em. least it didn't rain much until whangamata.

Weight distribution, think of like rooting a Fat chick, if you get that wrong, someone could get seriously hurt.

FJRider
26th April 2013, 11:55
Weight distribution, think of like rooting a Fat chick, if you get that wrong, someone could get seriously hurt.

Rule of thumb ... heaviest stuff as low as possible. Light stuff on top. Can't go too far wrong then ... :innocent:

Maha
26th April 2013, 11:58
Rule of thumb ... heaviest stuff as low as possible. Light stuff on top. Can't go too far wrong then ... :innocent:

Centrifugal forces come into play when the weight is not over the read axel area ...again, much like rooting a Fat chick.

bosslady
26th April 2013, 12:41
Can't say I know much about rooting a fat chick!

Gremlin
26th April 2013, 13:30
The weight and size of your bike relative to the luggage weight is certainly a factor.

However, don't fall into the trap of plenty, and get bigger luggage :laugh: As you do more trips you'll learn what you do and don't need. An over laden bike is no fun, especially in adventure riding.

FJRider
26th April 2013, 13:58
The weight and size of your bike relative to the luggage weight is certainly a factor.

However, don't fall into the trap of plenty, and get bigger luggage :laugh: As you do more trips you'll learn what you do and don't need. An over laden bike is no fun, especially in adventure riding.

The fun of getting a bigger cc motorcycle ... is being better able to carry the gear. Even bigger bikes have their limitations though.

She is still on the L plate ... so no doubt she is still learning stuff ... that she needs to find out for herself. Just like we did.

Experience is a bitch of a teacher ...

Maha
26th April 2013, 15:09
Can't say I know much about rooting a fat chick!

An over laden bike has the same sensation... ''wobbly as heck with all the weight and width'' :msn-wink:

swbarnett
27th April 2013, 07:49
She is still on the L plate ... so no doubt she is still learning stuff ...
Don't need an L for that.

bosslady
27th April 2013, 11:51

The fun of getting a bigger cc motorcycle ... is being better able to carry the gear. Even bigger bikes have their limitations though.

She is still on the L plate ... so no doubt she is still learning stuff ... that she needs to find out for herself. Just like we did.

Experience is a bitch of a teacher ...

Nerrrd has been very kind and is now carrying my big bag. Part of the problem is my bike, my luggage and what's in my head. Definitely a learning experience. Now sitting on the beach in te araroa, nice. Going to head back to Opotiki soon then to....?? will decide our route for tomorrow tonight I think.

sketch
27th April 2013, 11:55
i decided against my trip for the same reasons, bike, luggage, my woefull lack of experiance and lacking atgatt with the chance of bad weather and i spooked myself, plus iv had two pucker effects in as many days, staying safe staying local

FJRider
27th April 2013, 12:00
Nerrrd has been very kind and is now carrying my big bag. Part of the problem is my bike, my luggage and what's in my head. Definitely a learning experience. Now sitting on the beach in te araroa, nice. Going to head back to Opotiki soon then to....?? will decide our route for tomorrow tonight I think.

Every motorcycle trip you do ... you will find different. Each one you learn something. Sitting on a beach is nice on a nice day. And you will have many nice days over the years ...

It is good of Nerrrd ... but that's what friends do. Plan changes can be fun. Options are many ... enjoy the process of deciding where you are going.

FJRider
27th April 2013, 12:06
i decided against my trip for the same reasons, bike, luggage, my woefull lack of experiance and lacking atgatt with the chance of bad weather and i spooked myself, plus iv had two pucker effects in as many days, staying safe staying local

Just do it. Get what (basic) gear you do need ... and just bugger off.

Maha
27th April 2013, 13:05
Suprised this was not on the original route...http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?saddr=Gisborne&daddr=Opotiki,+Bay+Of+Plenty&hl=en&sll=-38.163025,177.839038&sspn=1.701684,4.22699&geocode=FUIPsv0dcVWcCimXrLBBnMBlbTEHmaJDYe8ABQ%3BF UQOvP0d2C-RCikvWyPAk4FlbTEJmaJDYe8ABQ&oq=opotiki&mra=pr&t=m&z=9
Matawai Tavern is much like the Puhoi...old and very interesting.

leathel
27th April 2013, 15:32
Suprised this was not on the original route...http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?saddr=Gisborne&daddr=Opotiki,+Bay+Of+Plenty&hl=en&sll=-38.163025,177.839038&sspn=1.701684,4.22699&geocode=FUIPsv0dcVWcCimXrLBBnMBlbTEHmaJDYe8ABQ%3BF UQOvP0d2C-RCikvWyPAk4FlbTEJmaJDYe8ABQ&oq=opotiki&mra=pr&t=m&z=9
Matawai Tavern is much like the Puhoi...old and very interesting.

certainly a good option for the return trip if they don't want to do the gravel or the extra miles to 5 :)

Nice bike road :)

Maha
27th April 2013, 16:01
certainly a good option for the return trip if they don't want to do the gravel or the extra miles to 5 :)

Nice bike road :)

Wanting to do the Tiniroto road also...from Gisborne to Wairoa.

bosslady
27th April 2013, 17:09

Good idea, take your time, you've only started learning recently, don't push yourself, I should know! Were in whakatane for the night, pussied out and got a motel. Were both quite tired. Me more than nerrrd, this trip has been very hard for me. Never have I ever used so many gears allllllllll day long, 2, 3, 4 and very rarely 5, I'm usually always in 5th, maybe 4th on the open road. I've had far too many OH SHIT moments the past few days for my liking. Had one moment where I felt like barfing in my helmet on the way to Te Kaha, logging truck had the ROW up a one way road but came around a corner and up a hill bloody fast, couldn't see around the corner, no way, nerrrd managed to quickly pull over into the give way but I didn't have time to pull in so got as far to the left as I could, cosy with the metal barrier and slowed right down. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, slowing down, but I figured if he could see me and could see I wasn't going anywhere I'd be ok, guess I am... nerrrd and I had a chat later thinking how could we have avoided that, don't think we could have, freaking tight corners and he was pretty fast! Tired!

bosslady
27th April 2013, 17:26
So here's the tentative plan..
Leave Whakatane approx. 9.30am
Te Puke approx. 10.30am
Paeroa approx. 12pm
Bombay autobahn cafe BP approx. 1pm.

Don't think this fits in anymore with other ppl but you're still welcome if keen!

JafaSaffer
27th April 2013, 17:34
So here's the tentative plan..
Leave Whakatane approx. 9.30am
Te Puke approx. 10.30am
Paeroa approx. 12pm
Bombay autobahn cafe BP approx. 1pm.

Don't think this fits in anymore with other ppl but you're still welcome if keen!

I could meet you at Paeroa.. at 12pm Ill pm you my number then txt me and ill confirm tomorrow.

FJRider
27th April 2013, 17:38
... Tired!

The next bike trip will be easier. Even if you do the same trip. Getting ride fit is more than long distance on highway one. More corners you have ... more gear changes you need .. the more you feel it. The extra weight wont help either.

But you ARE doing it.

And the "what if" times will happen on other rides. What the right thing to do ... is often determined by hindsight. Do the best you can at the time ... and go from there.

Go girl ...

leathel
27th April 2013, 19:32
Wanting to do the Tiniroto road also...from Gisborne to Wairoa.

did a fair few on those roads in the ute when I did some 4x4 driving down around Mahia and I am keen to hit those on the bike for sure !

leathel
27th April 2013, 19:39
I will see how things go tonight, might pop out for another ride, Got a bit wet today on the bike but still had a great day

You will need a MDO Monday to get over the ride...... You are doing a longer ride than lots do with far more experience than you so bloody good on you, next time you will know what to expect and when you up size the bike the gear will be less of an issue :)

leathel
27th April 2013, 19:41
I could meet you at Paeroa.. at 12pm Ill pm you my number then txt me and ill confirm tomorrow.

and I hope to join you to see the return trip for them

bosslady
27th April 2013, 19:47
I will see how things go tonight, might pop out for another ride, Got a bit wet today on the bike but still had a great day

You will need a MDO Monday to get over the ride...... You are doing a longer ride than lots do with far more experience than you so bloody good on you, next time you will know what to expect and when you up size the bike the gear will be less of an issue :)

Nah have to go to work, have timesheets to submit first thing! Wish I could have Monday off but too much to do... I was telling nerrrd I'd love to see what a motard was like!

bosslady
28th April 2013, 09:18
Leaving whakatane shortly

nerrrd
28th April 2013, 16:12
Thanks for the company today on the way back from Waihi - sorry leathel I guess we took the roundabout route after all, but it was good to have a bit of a final blat.

Some things I've learned from this trip:

My bike is f** ken' awesome. Just swallowed up the extra gear and shrugged it off like it wasn't even there (almost) and never put a foot wrong the whole way. Now I feel guilty that I've been thinking about getting a new one for a while...oh and so are Rok straps, they rock!

I really do have no sense of direction. Now I really (need?) want a GPS.

A phone with a working internet connection is essential to have with you when plans change; a POS phone like mine that times out loading web pages or accessing the google maps server is a waste of time.

It helps a LOT to have the weather gods on your side. Not sure how to organise this but i'm glad we did.

It's hard to get a good night's sleep when travelling. Didn't seem to matter whether it was in the tent or a motel, so I was slightly sleep deprived the whole time. Not ideal for motorcycling.

Anyway it was a great trip, despite a few hiccups here and there. Want to go back and get a bit further next time, East Cape from Opotiki to Te Araroa is a ruggedly beautiful place.

bosslady
28th April 2013, 16:28
here here! thanks to those that came a long or offered advice. And a big thanks to nerrrd for all his patience, i know I held you back! my lesson... don't carry so bloody much haha and do more research on routes. I couldn't believe the amount of 25kmh and 35kmh corners, I've never done so many in such a short space of time in my car let alone on a bike as a newbie.

nerrrd
28th April 2013, 16:29
Oh, and I dare anyone to ride an overloaded GN250 from Auckland to Thames to Coromandel to Whitianga to Whangamata to Waihi in one day on an L plate and still arrive with a smile on their face.

Not wanting to embarrass anyone but that Bosslady is one gutsy dame!

bosslady
28th April 2013, 16:44
Oh, and I dare anyone to ride an overloaded GN250 from Auckland to Thames to Coromandel to Whitianga to Whangamata to Waihi in one day on an L plate and still arrive with a smile on their face.

Not wanting to embarrass anyone but that Bosslady is one gutsy dame!

More stupid then gutsy.

nerrrd
28th April 2013, 16:56
More stupid then gutsy.

Yeah OK it wasn't a great idea but you adjusted your riding to suit, kept it together and made it in one piece.

I call that a win and a lesson learned.

This older and supposedly wiser head probably should have known better and not suggested Coromandel in the first place, let alone the rest of the route.

FJRider
28th April 2013, 16:57
More stupid then gutsy.

Stupid by NO means. It took GUTS for an L-plater to hop on their bike and tour. You did it. Not entirely to the original plan maybe ... but NOBODY on here will give you grief over that.

Motorcycle touring is an individual thing ... you take what you need ... and carry it as best you can. Decisions ... based on what you already know/believe. Every tour ride WILL be different. Now you will start making decisions about future rides based on ... your experience.

When you tour the South Island (whenever) .. you will make decisions on what you learned on THIS trip.

Gutsy indeed.

Go Girl ...

Mom
28th April 2013, 18:12
More stupid then gutsy.

JAYBUSSSSSSSS! WTF were you thinking you mad female :love: No wonder the bike did not handle/travel at the speed limit. You actually are starting to worry me now. Just what insaneness will you get up to on a big girls bike :shit:

I call that a win and a lesson learned.

Yes and yes! Well done the pair of you for having such a cool adventure! You crazy, mental buggers!

bosslady
28th April 2013, 18:19
Haha, thanks guys. No problem going the speed limit but big problems going around those tight corners and managing to stay shiny side up!! hmmmm bigger bike...

FJRider
28th April 2013, 18:20
Just what insaneness will you get up to on a big girls bike :shit:

Depends entirely on how long it takes for the big girl in question to find out she has it ...

But for a girl that describes herself as a Fat lesbian ... the mind boggles. It would boggle better though ... with pic's ...

Maha
28th April 2013, 18:41
A week away on the Honda 2-up covering the Manawatu/Wairarapa/Hawkes Bay and East Cape with a double pack and tank bag. A lot of weight but it didn't bother the bike at all. :niceone:
It's the main reason I went back to a sports tourer, to ensure the away trips are done with ease.

There is one bike that will all you want B/Lady...day trips, short/long away trips/track days etc...a CB600 (or a hornet in the old money)...

nerrrd
28th April 2013, 19:37
Check it (the bike, that is), and it's LAMS approved as well...just sayin':cool:

Not a motard, though.

bosslady
28th April 2013, 19:49
Check it (the bike, that is), and it's LAMS approved as well...just sayin':cool:

Not a motard, though.

You took a pic of my bum bum.

FJRider
28th April 2013, 20:10

It must be big if YOU are getting an echo .. :laugh:

JafaSaffer
28th April 2013, 20:10

Nerd you dirty old man you... :devil2:

nerrrd
28th April 2013, 20:37
Nerd you dirty old man you... :devil2:

Well it's mostly a pic of my bike...but really its just me + my (soon to be ex) phone = useless

leathel
29th April 2013, 07:06
Thanks for the company today on the way back from Waihi - sorry leathel I guess we took the roundabout route after all, but it was good to have a bit of a final blat.

Yeah I had to ditch the long way as the wife was starting to giggle a bit (Text'd the other two to let them know), she been trying to get comfortable for some K's, Longest ride by far for her and was a tad saddle sore, My brother and Niece were racing just back from where I pealed of so went to watch the maize paddock racing for a bit until the other half could feel her but again, Was some awesome racing to watch in some classes, out of control passing maneuvers by Craig (Mr Motorcycles owner)...that dude does not like to be second, balls on the line but pretty clean passing got him the win :eek:

Glad to hear you both got home safe and sound

If you want to do some one day adventure ride let me know as I am always keen for a cruise, I will email the Bosslady of a few.

arcane12
29th April 2013, 09:41
Sounds like you guys had an epic trip! It's nice to be able to live vicariously through people that have a bit more staying power than me.

Sorry I missed meeting you guys, popping up Te Aroha or Waihi would have been a small ways to go compared to what you did. Unfortunately I managed to land myself with the rug rats for half the day, so that ended my hopes for getting out on the bike. Plus I had to fix my cage, silly window was not winding properly (not something I'd have to worry about on the bike!).

Sounds like it was a blast, and remember you don't have to travel half the island to find some windy roads! I am sure we can find you some good ones a bit closer to home.

swbarnett
29th April 2013, 14:25
More stupid then gutsy.
Glad to see I'm not the only one that's mad enough to have been touring on a Ginny. Well done.

I used to run top box and panniers on mine. The guys at holeshot called it the "touring version". Never went camping with it though so the weight wouldn't have been what you put on. And the panniers kept it lower.

Mind you, I used to cram the bags and box full with the week's shopping. Quite an adventure with an 18pack of coke (plus) in the box.