PDA

View Full Version : It's amazing I'm not an alcoholic

Mental Trousers
25th April 2013, 02:57
Some things truly amaze me. Such as workmates who

insist linux can't possibly run without some sort of swap despite the thousands of instances on AWS and elsewhere that do just that
that importing huge numbers of documents into a SOLR index is a safe thing to do on a live web server
refuse to acknowledge that the memory architecture of 32 bit linux kernels is flawed
believe that the correct way to fix a virtual machine running out of memory is to add swap
think the way they've set up hardware for the last 10 years is also the best way to set up virtual machines
Going postal with a shotgun isn't the answer, so the next best thing is alcohol :doh:

Brian d marge
25th April 2013, 03:14
refuse to acknowledge that the memory architecture of 32 bit linux kernels is flawed

whats wrong with it

Stephen

ps drinking helps

Akzle
25th April 2013, 07:18
bro, just install lin...

//err... wait on.

iYRe
25th April 2013, 09:40
yeah, well there are always crazy people..

Windows guys who insist on GUI everything.. then suddenly discover this "new" powershell thing and suddenly commandline is awesome.. and refuse to patch MS Exchange 2013 because MS's "new" method of patching is to service pack it (which means a virtual reinstall of the software, something that linux users do for virtually every security upgrade).

ps: best practice for linux servers is still to have swap - like every OS, you still need it, although you can get away without it on low load servers, or on machines with enough resources to cope - same for any OS.

James Deuce
25th April 2013, 10:04
Windows guys refuse to patch exchange because of the fall out if a rollback is required. Microsoft are not renowned for producing bullet proof service packs.

Oracle guys who can't document table space allocation or ASM allocation rip my undies. *NIX SAs who respond to any request for information or help with insults and then wonder why they are forevermore sidelined are also a mystery.

If you want a laugh ask a *NIX SA to clean up a log file system and then ask them to explain to the customer when they don't do it and a critical app falls over as a result. It does get to the point where you want to pull their pants down and spank them, then send them to their room.

Katman
25th April 2013, 10:06
Can a mod move this thread to Tech Talk and then infract the OP please?

mashman
25th April 2013, 10:30
I could happily turn to drink and/or drugs when the solution for moving forwards is for the client to review their internal processes, business rules and QA their data from the delivered solution. This is seen as unimportant for some reason. Pass the bong

bluninja
25th April 2013, 12:51
I love techies, with brains the size of planets, who are ALWAYS right and then blame the clients for being dumb when they can't work with (or can't afford) the perfect solution. I always wonder if these types go on to become IAM members and observers :bleh:

Brian d marge
25th April 2013, 13:12
32 bit linux kernels is flawed

whats wrong with it?

as a linux user meself

Linux mint XFCE 14

Stephen

Berries
25th April 2013, 14:17
Who the fuck is Kernel Linux? Is this some kind of Anzac Day thread?

Mental Trousers
25th April 2013, 14:49
whats wrong with it

Stephen

ps drinking helps

Linus originally said the linux kernel will never support more than 2GB of RAM. Later on he caved in and implemented using 4GB of RAM. But that RAM is split into lowmem/himem. Lowmem is the most important but it's also the lower of the two. If you run out of lowmem bad shit happens. Doesn't matter if there's still plenty left in himem and swap, no lowmem means badness.

ps: best practice for linux servers is still to have swap - like every OS, you still need it, although you can get away without it on low load servers, or on machines with enough resources to cope - same for any OS.

Best practice on AWS is to use correctly sized instances with enough ram to do the job. Virtual hard drive I/O is a real bottleneck on AWS so if the machine starts using swap hard out the machine stops responding. You might as well not have swap at all.

Windows guys ........

They're mad.

Can a mod move this thread to Tech Talk and then infract the OP please?

Cos my name is red it means I can't even infract myself. Best I can do is talk sternly to myself.

I love techies, with brains the size of planets, who are ALWAYS right and then blame the clients for being dumb when they can't work with (or can't afford) the perfect solution. I always wonder if these types go on to become IAM members and observers :bleh:

It's not money that's the problem. These guys have done things a certain way since they started their first job (which, ironically, they're still in over 8 years later) and they don't understand hardware is different to virtualisation. They also don't understand basic security like keep every fucker off the web servers so the web sites stay up.

Brian d marge
25th April 2013, 15:14
Linus originally said the linux kernel will never support more than 2GB of RAM. Later on he caved in and implemented using 4GB of RAM. But that RAM is split into lowmem/himem. Lowmem is the most important but it's also the lower of the two. If you run out of lowmem bad shit happens. Doesn't matter if there's still plenty left in himem and swap, no lowmem means badness.

ahh yes I remember that now , I use 32 on the laptop and 64 on me main compter !

Stephen

bluninja
25th April 2013, 15:22
It's not money that's the problem. These guys have done things a certain way since they started their first job (which, ironically, they're still in over 8 years later) and they don't understand hardware is different to virtualisation. They also don't understand basic security like keep every fucker off the web servers so the web sites stay up.

We're talking different things here, mostly ...... Kiwis in the same job after 8 years...surely not? :laugh:

DBA's IMHO seem to be the people that have the most problem with virtualisation, and seem to be have been with the various companies 15-20 years :)

Lucky I was introduced to virtualisation in the early 80's on mainframes. Still clueless, but lots of time to be good at hiding the fact. :rolleyes:

Grasshopperus
25th April 2013, 21:27
Linus originally said the linux kernel will never support more than 2GB of RAM. Later on he caved in and implemented using 4GB of RAM. But that RAM is split into lowmem/himem.

I'm running Linux 2.0/32 on all my production servers and as long as you load himem.sys via rc.local it's all good

Laava
25th April 2013, 21:39
Who the fuck is Kernel Linux? Is this some kind of Anzac Day thread?

Kernel Linux under the boat cover with a pressure cooker.

25th April 2013, 22:47
WTF is this farken thread about??????????? :confused::confused:

PrincessBandit
25th April 2013, 22:57

Dunno. I went cross eyed just reading MT's bullet points in the OP. I'm one of those dreadful "don't really care how it works as long as I can use it" type of people. :o

buggerit
29th April 2013, 19:49

Cunnalingus:confused:

PrincessBandit
29th April 2013, 20:10
Cunnalingus:confused:

Think you'll find it's cunning.......as in cunning linguist

FJRider
29th April 2013, 20:17
Think you'll find it's cunning.......as in cunning linguist

No matter how you spell it ... there are still a few things I've not been cunning enough to get my tongue around ... :shifty:

schrodingers cat
29th April 2013, 20:32

First world problems

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pMoUurTuo2I/Tmf7KOT9MbI/AAAAAAAAA8A/se_btrAPtaU/s1600/First-World-Problems-12.jpg

Banditbandit
30th April 2013, 13:53
I have no idea what they are talking about either .. so I Googled Linux .. and this came up . I'm impressed .. some very nice architecture ...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rbeqbj-n1Z0/SkeahbUAorI/AAAAAAAAAeE/c0fH46MplJ0/s400/ubuntu1.jpg