PDA

View Full Version : Side plates? What's the go?

Tombstone
2nd May 2013, 19:52
Finally got my GN running but that story can wait. I'm a welder fabricator by trade so busy making parts for the bobber I bought off TM as the guy had some extremely strange ideas as to what made for strong brackets and all the rest of it ... anyway, made a new side plate and stop light holder for the bike but just read on TM that some guy couldn't get a warrant because of the side plate. So what's the go? Is it just another stupid thing you can't do in NZ because the cops can only read plates that are dead center or are they fine? Next they'll be outlawing the colour black.

Pumba
2nd May 2013, 22:51
Do a search here on KB. Think it was kiwifruit, or maybe his father, that challenged a ticket given for a side plate in court and won, therefore setting a legal precedent.

So yea they are legal, but it doesn't mean your local WOF officer using going to be a dick about it because "he" has never seen it done that way and it clearly it isn't standard.

jellywrestler
2nd May 2013, 23:00
Finally got my GN running but that story can wait. I'm a welder fabricator by trade so busy making parts for the bobber I bought off TM as the guy had some extremely strange ideas as to what made for strong brackets and all the rest of it ... anyway, made a new side plate and stop light holder for the bike but just read on TM that some guy couldn't get a warrant because of the side plate. So what's the go? Is it just another stupid thing you can't do in NZ because the cops can only read plates that are dead center or are they fine? Next they'll be outlawing the colour black.

you'll be having to get the bike revinned? if so plate must be no less than 15 degrees from vertical they take photos during the vin process and keep em on file so the warrant people can access them for clarificaion of oddities i'm assuming

Motu
2nd May 2013, 23:10
Visibility of the plate is not a WoF issue - you don't even need a plate on the bike for a WoF....but you do need a numberplate light. Visibility of the plate is a concern for the police though, and why would you ever give a cop a reason to pull you over if you are doing nothing wrong.

_Shrek_
2nd May 2013, 23:31

my trailer has a side plate & it has had since 1975 only once did I have trouble with a guy over it for a WOF, & when he got the book out it said only had to be visible from 20m there was nothing about it must be facing the back,

Tombstone
3rd May 2013, 17:33
The plate's highly visible and easy to read beyond 20m with the letters / numbers repainted to make it clearer still . Has the stop light (which includes license plate light) mounted above it as well. Bike's got a warrant but that's how I bought it so who knows if it was set up that way when he actually went for the warrant ... ?? Will see how it goes when I take the bike in for its next warrant and if it passes as is ... will let you guys know how I get on. Cheers.