PDA

View Full Version : It's not speed, they just don't look

oneofsix
6th May 2013, 07:35
Now tell us something we didn't already know.

Speed is not the big issue in crashes on Wellington streets - it's mostly that drivers and pedestrians don't look out for each other.

Get amusing when further down the pedestrians try to shift all the blame on to the drivers :laugh: Any one that has walked or driven Wellington City streets will see the joke, or as per a recent comment from someone that wasn't used to walking in Wellington "you could tell I was the noob as I was the only one that stopped for the lights at intersections"

Dragon
6th May 2013, 08:22
Now tell us something we didn't already know.

Get amusing when further down the pedestrians try to shift all the blame on to the drivers :laugh: Any one that has walked or driven Wellington City streets will see the joke, or as per a recent comment from someone that wasn't used to walking in Wellington "you could tell I was the noob as I was the only one that stopped for the lights at intersections"

I still think im weird because Im one of the only people I know(in saying that I havent asked anyone new lately) that looks and judges if the car/bike etc coming towards a crossing has time to stop/see me before I walk out.

But I also know how to watch the lights if Im walking down courtney place etc

Swoop
6th May 2013, 08:33
Retarded pedestrians, with their face buried in their ifone, deserve to get splatted. Fuck 'em.

oneofsix
6th May 2013, 08:36
Retarded pedestrians, with their face buried in their ifone, deserve to get splatted. Fuck 'em.

totally opposite of the excuse the council used to lower the speed limit.:laugh:

Swoop
6th May 2013, 08:41
totally opposite of the excuse the council used to lower the speed limit.:laugh:

They are going against Mr Darwin and his fine work.

Leave Mr Darwin alone. He is improving our gene pool. What the council should have done is to RAISE the speed limit to a minimum of 70.

willytheekid
6th May 2013, 08:46
Maybe if kiwis general driving behavior etc was actuality policed!, we might see a change in drivers attitudes (like actually LOOKING before doing etc)

I thought pedestrians in wellington were far game? lol

oneofsix
6th May 2013, 09:02
Maybe if kiwis general driving behavior etc was actuality policed!, we might see a change in drivers attitudes (like actually LOOKING before doing etc)

I thought pedestrians in wellington were far game? lol

Agreed but that would take actual policing and police interested in stuff like failing to indicate rather than automated policing via speed and red light cameras (which arguably cause more crashes than they prevent). I note that recently even a coroner said the law on indicators can be ignore, not quite his words but roughly what saying other drivers can't have a reasonable expectation that indicators will be used correctly means.

mashman
6th May 2013, 09:04
They are going against Mr Darwin and his fine work.

Leave Mr Darwin alone. He is improving our gene pool. What the council should have done is to RAISE the speed limit to a minimum of 70.

Like................

scissorhands
6th May 2013, 09:23
Pedestrians often walk out without looking.... acting like they are 10ft tall, penalties should be in place for jay walking

For a driver, there are so many things to observe in Wellys tight streets, an over abundance of traffic signage creates a cry wolf mentality when urgent or important signage is hidden amongst all the unnecessary crap

One of the worst streets in Aucks, for me at least is Franklin Road Ponsonby. All the large flame trees have grown into the street lights beam, so the pedo walks out in darkness whilst light falls all around him but not on him. Accident waiting to happen

I'm so over ringing peeps to complain anymore, fuck ups are endemic, they can fix their own crap

Banditbandit
6th May 2013, 10:28
Fuck 'em.

Naaa .. that only creates more of them ..

Drew
6th May 2013, 10:59
Penalties are in place for 'J' walking. I just don't think I've ever heard of it being enforced.

oneofsix
6th May 2013, 11:11
Penalties are in place for 'J' walking. I just don't think I've ever heard of it being enforced.

Nope, you been watching too match USA TV again. There are rules but J walking isn't the correct term :bleh:
This isn't quite the quote I wanted but it does cover the subject, I really like the last one and it refers back to Dagon's comment in post #2

In New Zealand there is no law against jaywalking most of the time – you are legally allowed to cross the road.

However, there are rules around where and how you cross the road, and infringements ranging from $10 to $35 can be dished out if you decide to make an unsafe dash to the other side.

The main rule is that, if you are within 20 metres of a controlled crossing – either a zebra crossing or light signals – you are required to walk to that crossing to make your way across the road.
You are meant to wait for the green man at intersections controlled by signals.
You are required to keep to the footpath while walking, and cross at right angles rather than diagonally.
Fines issued for pedestrian offences from 2006 to 2011:
Crossing against the red human figure traffic symbol, $10 fine – 13 (4 of them in the Wellington district)
Crossing within 20m of pedestrian crossing, $35 fine – 2 (both in Wellington district)
Crossing within 20m of traffic signals, $35 fine – 3 (Wellington district)
Crossing other than at right angles, $35 fine – 1 (0 in Wellington district)
Failing to keep to footpath, $35 fine – 3 (1 in Wellington district)
Failing to keep to edge of roadway, $35 fine – 0
Suddenly entering a pedestrian crossing, $35 fine – 1 (0 in Wellington district)

scissorhands
6th May 2013, 12:55
Pedestrians abuse their rights, some maliciously, like pressing the button after crossing the road so the lights activate again, and cars stop again, and they have a snigger while walking away. Little shits
Greater accountability for pedestrians would improve non statistical encounters of motorist and pedestrian, which are many

Drew
6th May 2013, 15:58
Pedestrians abuse their rights, some maliciously, like pressing the button after crossing the road so the lights activate again, and cars stop again, and they have a snigger while walking away. Little shits
Greater accountability for pedestrians would improve non statistical encounters of motorist and pedestrian, which are many
I get annoyed with the people that push the button, and then walk accross when a gap appears. So traffic stops shortly after, for no one.

imdying
6th May 2013, 16:18
penalties should be in place for jay walkingThere are, it's called getting your dumb arse run over.

They treat the road like the footpath in Wellington, for whatever reason, having been there on business more than once, I'm surprised the lunchtime rush doesn't lose one or two people every day.

caspernz
6th May 2013, 16:22
There are, it's called getting your dumb arse run over.

They treat the road like the footpath in Wellington, for whatever reason, having been there on business more than once, I'm surprised the lunchtime rush doesn't lose one or two people every day.

Who is to say we don't just bury them down in Darwins' own special graveyard?? :laugh:

Drew
6th May 2013, 16:29
Who is to say we don't just bury them down in Darwins' own special graveyard?? :laugh:

Could have matched a concentration camp with the number of corpses I wanted to add to such a place on the roads today.

caspernz
6th May 2013, 16:35
Could have matched a concentration camp with the number of corpses I wanted to add to such a place on the roads today.

Sssshhhh, the SCPA may be moving into the old Fever Hospital on Mt Vic, but we're keeping the shower block for jay walkers...complete with the German plumbing :msn-wink:

neels
6th May 2013, 16:37
I get annoyed with the people that push the button, and then walk accross when a gap appears. So traffic stops shortly after, for no one.
That can be fixed, outside my son's school they've installed a pressure pad in the footpath to stop the little shits pressing the button and buggering off, if you don't stay standing on it the lights don't change. :niceone:

Clockwork
6th May 2013, 16:44
That can be fixed, outside my son's school they've installed a pressure pad in the footpath to stop the little shits pressing the button and buggering off, if you don't stay standing on it the lights don't change. :niceone:

I dunno, I'd rather we adopted te UK solution where the light phase quickly changes from red (compulsory stop) to flashing orange, once that happens a driver can proceed as long as the crossing is clear. This means you can get on your way quickly if there is no one still waiting or they've crossed quickly, you only have to wait around from the slow, elderly, young etc... This works particularly well where the road is wide.

Drew
6th May 2013, 16:50
This works particularly well where the road is wide.That would mean a change to the law, they said they changed, but really only intended to enforce. Where drivers must wait for pedestrians to get off the road completely, unless there is a physical median.

Fuck confusing dumb kiwi drivers even more than they are already.

oneofsix
6th May 2013, 16:55

They tried that outside Te Papa shortly after it opened but took them away when the pedestrians complained that if they wandered away they had to push the button again :crybaby: When you got a mayor that rides an electric push bike and calls it eco :weird: what do you expect, if she was that eco why not jump on one of the buses? Seems to be working ok at Otaki, maybe the country folk are smarter :laugh:

I dunno, I'd rather we adopted te UK solution where the light phase quickly changes from red (compulsory stop) to flashing orange, once that happens a driver can proceed as long as the crossing is clear. This means you can get on your way quickly if there is no one still waiting or they've crossed quickly, you only have to wait around from the slow, elderly, young etc... This works particularly well where the road is wide.

Covered in road code already, there is no need for the red phase for vehicles. In fact this red phase I reckon this encourages cars to force through when they finally get the green in spite of the actual law that they give way to pedestrians, even on the flashing red man, which is actually the pedestrian equivalent of amber.

Drew
6th May 2013, 16:57
even on the flashing red man, which is actually the pedestrian equivalent of amber.No, it's the pedestrian signal not to start crossing the road, as traffic is not required to give way once anyone already out there is gone.

Clockwork
6th May 2013, 17:12
No, it's the pedestrian signal not to start crossing the road, as traffic is not required to give way once anyone already out there is gone.

You sure about that? A red light is a stop (and stay stopped) sign as far as I was aware.

Drew
6th May 2013, 17:15
You sure about that? A red light is a stop (and stay stopped) sign as far as I was aware.You want the pedestrians to stop in the middle of the road, until a little green man goes again?

Clockwork
6th May 2013, 17:19
You want the pedestrians to stop in the middle of the road, until a little green man goes again?

Maybe I misunderstood you, I took your comment "as traffic is not required to give way once anyone already out there is gone" to mean that once the crossing was clear drivers are free to drive on even if the light (driver's light) is still red.

FJRider
6th May 2013, 17:22
No, it's the pedestrian signal not to start crossing the road, as traffic is not required to give way once anyone already out there is gone.

It actually means there is not enough time to (walk) cross the road safely ... before the lights change against your favour.

The law still require vehicles to give way to pedestrians on marked pedestrian crossings ...

Gremlin
6th May 2013, 17:26
Slow news then. I declared you lot crazy back in 2011: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/144759-You-crazy-Wellington-people!

Drew
6th May 2013, 17:27
The law still require vehicles to give way to pedestrians on marked pedestrian crossings ...They are not cross walks. Turning vehicals have right of way once the little red man is flashing. AFTER people who started walking with a green man are clear.

FJRider
6th May 2013, 17:41
They are not cross walks. Turning vehicals have right of way once the little red man is flashing. AFTER people who started walking with a green man are clear.

The law tends to frown on those running down pedestrians ... regardless of the legality of their crossing.

However ... stepping out in front of moving cars without looking, might be considered dangerous. Or even stupid. The attitude of pedestrians that ... "They wont hit me" .. might be a tad optimistic ...

And I did say "Marked pedestrian crossing" .... :msn-wink:

Akzle
6th May 2013, 18:02
so the pedo walks out in darkness whilst light falls all around him but not on him. Accident waiting to happen
yeah. just don't let your lods walk around auckland at night...

fucking genius.

but better the little smartass that works it out and rolls a fucken fencepost to school and leaves it on the pad.

The law tends to frown on those running down pedestrians ... regardless of the legality of their crossing.

However ... stepping out in front of moving cars without looking, might be considered dangerous. Or even stupid. The attitude of pedestrians that ... "They wont hit me" .. might be a tad optimistic ...

And I did say "Marked pedestrian crossing" .... :msn-wink:

dude... i've just checked with the shipping company... there's a boat load of ellipses on their way... so don't worry about running out...

FJRider
6th May 2013, 18:09
dude... i've just checked with the shipping company... there's a boat load of ellipses on their way... so don't worry about running out...

Dude .. with what I've seen of big city drivers ... the footpath isn't safe either. :laugh: