PDA

View Full Version : Best monsoon setup?

Phantom Limb
6th May 2013, 11:57
On my way to work this morning got me thinking a few things:
1. Fek I need a snorkel
2. Theres a puddle in my boot
3. Get out of the feking fast lane!
4. How is my bike still running in this?

Ignoring the first three brain farts, how does the motor keep running? Sure the electrics are well shielded on most modern bikes, but many bikes I've piloted have just given up during heavy down pours, or run noticibly shittier in the heavy rain, I mean theres a heap of water getting in everywhere.

Air cooled and water cooled motors seem to handle the water differently, personally I've found newer air cooled donks to be more consistent in the rain. Why? well my best guess is the higher surface temp of the motor casings causing the watter to 'flash' off on contact. Then again I've not piloted a huge number of machines in monsoon rain to make a clear comparrison.

What do you lot think, any comparrisons to make with regard to the water resistance of your current and previous rides?

nodrog
6th May 2013, 12:30
Water is good for your engine, some guys actually inject it straight into the cylinders. Chuck the hose into your airbox and see how quiet your bike idles.

bogan
6th May 2013, 12:36
On my way to work this morning got me thinking a few things:
1. Fek I need a snorkel
2. Theres a puddle in my boot
3. Get out of the feking fast lane!
4. How is my bike still running in this?

Ignoring the first three brain farts, how does the motor keep running? Sure the electrics are well shielded on most modern bikes, but many bikes I've piloted have just given up during heavy down pours, or run noticibly shittier in the heavy rain, I mean theres a heap of water getting in everywhere.

Air cooled and water cooled motors seem to handle the water differently, personally I've found newer air cooled donks to be more consistent in the rain. Why? well my best guess is the higher surface temp of the motor casings causing the watter to 'flash' off on contact. Then again I've not piloted a huge number of machines in monsoon rain to make a clear comparrison.

What do you lot think, any comparrisons to make with regard to the water resistance of your current and previous rides?

My previous bike was really bad for the crotch puddle, so is my current bike. They both run fine in the wet of course.

Phantom Limb
6th May 2013, 12:46
My previous bike was really bad for the crotch puddle, so is my current bike. They both run fine in the wet of course.

Ha!
That dreaded feeling when you look down and the water level is spilling over your thighs. Cold balls iminent. :no:

huff3r
6th May 2013, 13:02
The GN has always handled monsoon rain awesomely. I like the added feature air cooled engines have... the hand warmer for when the unexpected wintery storm hits you while you only have your summer gloves. Just reach down...

HornetBoy
6th May 2013, 13:08
the hand warmer for when the unexpected wintery storm hits you while you only have your summer gloves. Just reach down...

Someone is going to jump on this ! :corn:

awa355
6th May 2013, 13:44
This can be adapted to any bike.

oneofsix
6th May 2013, 13:56
The GN has always handled monsoon rain awesomely. I like the added feature air cooled engines have... the hand warmer for when the unexpected wintery storm hits you while you only have your summer gloves. Just reach down...

Someone is going to jump on this ! :corn:

Looks like someone did only they were rather subtle. :shifty:

The GN would be the only bike I have had that actually gave up in the rain. Had to get it towed home but it was fine the next day. Some of the others ran a bit rough in the torrential rain but the water cooled Bandit survived being nearly drowned, really water cooled when I hit that water hole :lol: The wall of water went over the helmet so the bike wasn't the only thing that got drenched.

Placing cold wet gloves on hot air cooled engine = steam a plenty. :laugh:

iYRe
6th May 2013, 14:35
Dririder rainsuit - various prices around... I got mine for 75 from the army and leather store in otahuhu.
Didnt get at all wet apart from my lower left leg, where the zip wasnt done up properly and a little bit about the neck. That included riding through some surface water that resembled a small lake, and resulted in a fairly large volume of water, resembling the surf at Piha washing over me and the bike. The REX's arent exactly low to the ground so that was fairly interesting.

My boots also leak, around the sole joins, so I am going to silicone them up for winter, and hopefully will have saved up for some new boots by next winter.

HornetBoy
6th May 2013, 14:38
The first time i rode in the rain i realized what people meant when you get the "dreaded sv325" on my sv650.

The way my particular model was designed (small front fender and front cylinder spark plug facing quite low/forward ) meant that water was deflected directly up into the front cylinder and lead to it being drowned out :eek:

Once you install one of those fender extenders it seems to rectify the problem (as well as apply some waterproof grease arund the plug cap). Suzuki must have been aware of it as on the later models they installed a plastic radiator guard which blocked the front cylinder from getting wet.

Pretty alarming when it first happened as i did'nt really know what was going on! <_<

Phantom Limb
6th May 2013, 15:40
The first time i rode in the rain i realized what people meant when you get the "dreaded sv325" on my sv650.

The way my particular model was designed (small front fender and front cylinder spark plug facing quite low/forward ) meant that water was deflected directly up into the front cylinder and lead to it being drowned out :eek:

Once you install one of those fender extenders it seems to rectify the problem (as well as apply some waterproof grease arund the plug cap). Suzuki must have been aware of it as on the later models they installed a plastic radiator guard which blocked the front cylinder from getting wet.

Pretty alarming when it first happened as i did'nt really know what was going on! <_<

My VTR used to have a similar problem. Front plug would just get swamped! The old 1200 Bandit S had no issues whatsoever.

The XJR handles the rain like a champ. Sitting at the lights with steam pouring off the motor really gets some funny looks from neighboring traffic. Looks pretty badass really :rolleyes:

imdying
6th May 2013, 15:55
If you have a modern Japanese bike, the best thing you can do is ensure all those covers for plugs are in place, and that everything is routed as per the workshop manual. The Japanese design all of these things quite carefully as they've had decades of practice, and it's normally the owners/mechanics that fuck them up. Your XJR is probably mostly wired via fully sealed connectors for anything important, so should give no trouble in the rain.