PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone T30 review

willytheekid
6th May 2013, 13:32
When the tyres arrived at Road and Race New Brighton, and Roger gave me a call to arrange a fitting time I was just over the moon!, what perfect timing...as I can't keep riding on whats left of the current set:laugh:
"Sure!, Thursday sounds great Roger, thanks for making the time mate" :niceone: (Especially seeing as he's currently booked out till the start of june!)
...But in hindsight, next time I WILL check the long range weather report! :facepalm:

Even Roger had a giggle at the thought of shiny new tyres and wet roads...the perfect environment for testing survival skills! :laugh:

As you can see the old tyres needed to be changed many weeks ago due to a frantic run down to Oamaru recently...the sweltering heat combined with constant speed, road works and some of the longest, most boring straight roads in NZ had just cooked the tyres and left me with a set of "flat spot specials".

The first thing we both noticed about the New T30's, was the weight!....these are NOT a light Tyre.
But when you compare the side wall construction strength and the tread depth to the previous BT015r rear Tyre on the VFR, and a new set of contis that Roger had in...the weight is clearly explained in the build strength and general stiffness of these tyres.(the side walls are extremely stiff)
And yet, as the above picture shows, the tread rubber is very soft and malleable, even on a cold day you can "push" the tread around with your thumb, a complete contrast to the ultra stiff side walls.

And speaking of tread, here is the pattern Bridgestone are using on the T30's
Rear-
Front

The fitting went smoothly and the tyres were balanced easily, and after spending far to long talking with Roger about bikes and his new guzzi project, I hit the road...and it was of course raining!
With the words of Roger ringing in my ears "A normal person would take it damn easy on those for a while lol...good luck!", I set out to see if I could get home with no drama's.

I'm very pleased to report that "out of the box" these tyres stick!, not a single moment, Nada!, none!...it was UN-natural! :laugh:
I gave the tyres a wee work out the next day on my trip into work....and again, not a single moment in the wet and cold at 0630am on a Friday morning - Brilliant!

The VFR, although 18yrs old and this one having over a hundred thousand K's on the clock, is In my opinion, still! one of the best sport tourers ever made (Its why I always wanted one)...and these tyres have so far perfectly complemented the bikes friendly and ultra usable nature, making for a great test bed for this review, plus, many of us don't have the latest greatest 30k bike sitting in the shed, and yet most reviews seem to be done on these so the old VFR should be a welcome change for some.

I will be doing another update this weekend once I have had more time on the bike & tyres, and again one week later, then monthly...so check back if your a daily rider, because this review will NOT be one involving track days and adrenalin fueled high speed roads, instead this review is for the regular rider, the daily grinder like me who rides in rain hail or shine and use's there bike as there only means of transport and sanity...so that means a mix of highway & town riding mixed up with the occasional "blow out" run up into the hills :msn-wink:

I hope my limited grasp on the written English language will be enough to persuade you to come back and have a read as this Tyre review progresses...I will try my best to describe the events and personal experience with these tyres.
I would now like to end this start with thanks
...thanks firstly to you!, the KB members who voted for me and gave me the chance to review these new donuts, and secondly thanks to the folks at eurotred NZ/Bridgestone NZ for giving the KB community the opportunity to review a set of there new tasty tyres..and of course lastly, my Mechanic Roger @ Road & Race, for putting up with me rummaging around in his shop and putting my sticky fingers over everything while he fixe's my latest mechanical faux pas :laugh:

Ride safe KBers :love:

Willy

AllanB
6th May 2013, 15:08
You bastard - I wanted those free tyres!

Keep us posted.

Geeen
6th May 2013, 16:47
A nice start to the review process, only thing you forgot was how to collect the chocolate fish those of us who voted for you were promised...:bleh:

willytheekid
6th May 2013, 16:59
You bastard - I wanted those free tyres!

Keep us posted.

A nice start to the review process, only thing you forgot was how to collect the chocolate fish those of us who voted for you were promised...:bleh:

Allan...yes!...yes I am! :laugh:

Geeen...Some guy called "Nodrog" turned up and picked up the chocolate fish for drop off...what he ACTUALLY did with them...words simply cannot describe:crazy: (All I got was this photo and an assurance that "he had fun":blink:)
...I'm sorry, but I don't think your getting that chocy fish :no:

caseye
6th May 2013, 17:12
Will be watching and reading with interest mate.
Noice bike that!

willytheekid
6th May 2013, 17:47
Will be watching and reading with interest mate.
Noice bike that!

Is-int it just Mark :msn-wink: (And I still love it!)

...still working on her mate (Had Roger go tip to tail on her...he found an air leak on one carb...that was it!:eek:), even got some hot grips arriving next week to help my aging & battered body through winter...suspension is next on the list, poor old girl is getting a tad saggy in the arse :laugh:

Really! impressed with the tyres so far mate...never had a set of new tyres this sticky from the get go...even did the ol roundabout exit test :shifty:...they didn't even budge!:clap: (And I was trying pritty hard!:laugh:)...they would go nice on a certain coal burner me thinks:niceone:

Stay well mark, always good to hear from ya (Send my best to Rob)

willytheekid
14th May 2013, 18:14
One Week update

Well, its been week of mixed weather and just my daily trip into work for the "scrubbing in" phase of these tyres.

The T30's are just amazing!, only the one instance of loss of traction so far, and that was on some heavy white paint at an intersection while under very heavy acceleration in the wet! (And it was just a split second...nothing to get worried about at all)

Ive been pritty hard on the tyres to be honest, "trying" to find there scrub in limits and gauge there level of grip during this early period...its been fun...LOTS of fun.:innocent:
Last Monday in particular was shocking weather!, heavy rain, strong wind gusts and very cold on the morning trudge into work...and yet the T30's didn't miss a beat!
The one thing I have really noticed about these tyres is that they track like a railway!, these old VFR's are re-known for there brilliant handling and amazing tracking in corners, and these tyres have just amplified those traits, with the bike now changing lines instantly and holding a preset line through a corner with absolute razor precision!...its like they were made specifically for this bike.:headbang:

....more to come in a month! :msn-wink:

willytheekid
17th June 2013, 11:10
UPDATE

Well, its been 1200 miles, or just over 1900 k's (for those of you who don't have an import speedo lol) :2thumbsup
Ive only had the commute to work and two wee excursions up into the hills to put these tyres through there paces...and what amazing tyres they are!

In-fact, to say these are "good" tyres, is simply not enough...these tyres are off the planet good!, I just can't stop recommending them...no run-in, unmatched performance in the wet & cold and they also provide a great level of rider feedback
Seriously...call the FEDS!....because I believe Bridgestone, maybe dealing in alien tech!!:wacko:...No seriously!, these things are simply not of this earth!:yes:
Example's:
I was...lucky?...enough to get caught in a hail storm while on a "time sensitive" trip through town and out to Rangiora....I witnessed the traffic struggling to handle the new insta-winter conditions, car's slipping and spinning through intersections caked in a frozen icing of hail & sludge....while here I was...absolutely HAMMERING! the VFR along with absolutely no worries and no slip!....nothing!!:eek5:...I mean what the hell right?....this isn't normal, in fact....that shouldn't be POSSIBLE!, to jump on a bike with dead cold tyres and be able to hussle it in those conditions??, shouldn't be possible...OR enjoyable!

What about heavy rain?...now that can be the down fall of many a great Tyre, I'm sure we have all experienced the dread as our favorite set of sticky summer rubber turns into an aquaplaning nightmare once the heavens have opened up...not with these tyres!:sweatdrop
...these tyres just cut through the water like a knife!...and they certainly don't have your arse trying to suction cup itself to the seat as you repeatedly pray "please don't let go!"...nope!, these tyres seem to not only defy the elements!, but the actual rules of physic's them-self! :eek5:

You must be riding like my Grandmother, I hear you say
lol, quite possibly, but I have actually been rather harsh on these tyres due to the sheer shock at there performance, and have made a few failed efforts to find there limits!

...I wanted to make these tyres "kick out" on my favorite round a bout...so I could exit, cranked over and power sliding the rear like the old set of power pilots would allow me to do :drool: (Slow speed drift, nothing flash or dangerous, the road set up etc "usually" assists this exiting "fun")
....well that's just not possible with these new T30's from Bridgestone...slipping is NOT allowed!, and you may well be punished for trying! :pinch:
I cranked the old girl into said favorite round a bout, flicked her over nice an quick to lift the weight off the rear, double clutched her, and snapped the throttle open in eagerness of the "slow drift" out of the exit:clap:....what actually happened...was NOT what I expected...at all!
As the tyres simply didn't let go!?...no drift, no loss of traction...nadda!
What they DID do however...was Bite!...HARD!!, in fact, they bit hard enough to launch the bike out of the exit at mach 2 while lofting the front wheel slightly:eek5::facepalm:
....Needless to say...I have not repeated the process due to the associated laundry bill! (Yes...I may have shat myself a wee bit...I didn't expect them to bite at that angle!)

As I stated, I have only gone up into the hills to "play" twice so far...and to be honest...I wasn't on a go fast mission, or focusing on the tyres performance sorry, But as far as handling gravel and slimy moss goes...taken in there stride!:niceone:...and once again, where the Power Pilots had the VFR slipping and drifting around a certain slimy/mossy corner, the Bridgestone's just stuck and gave so much confidence in what was a "careful as you go" corner had me relaxed and powering over the once slippery surface...just amazing!

I was running the stock pressures front & rear - 34 / 36 psi, but found with the colder & wetter weather they seem to have a better feel running a slightly lower pressure of 32 / 34 psi , and with those super stiff side walls I'm not noticing any flex etc in the tight corners or at speed.
I also cannot see any wear on the tyres as of yet, and they are performing like absolute troopers through the start of our southern winter...but the next big test is the rest of winter and some SNOW & ICE TESTING!!...Oh yes Mr Bridgestone, we WILL see how far this new alien tech can really go!

caseye
17th June 2013, 19:38
Warp 9 Scotty! to the rear hide only please,a wee bit of fun here Mr Zulu.
LOL good to see you're still enjoying the ride mate. Whats tis about old and tired bodies, heated grips are a valid and worthwhile experience in any clime. Wifey's Nonda has em and they're great.

willytheekid
20th June 2013, 15:02
Warp 9 Scotty! to the rear hide only please,a wee bit of fun here Mr Zulu.
LOL good to see you're still enjoying the ride mate. Whats tis about old and tired bodies, heated grips are a valid and worthwhile experience in any clime. Wifey's Nonda has em and they're great.

Gidday mate

Yeah loving the Hot Grips...tis a tad chilly down here at 0620am when I hit the road :cold:...but now I can retain the feeling in my fingers :laugh:(I truly feel spoilt!)

But, it looks like I may be doing some snow testing soon
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8818363/Heavy-snowfalls-nudge-records
...wish me luck!, Im sure these tyres are up to the job...and so is the bike!, its just the nut between the seat and handlebars that im worried about mate lol

JayRacer37
25th June 2013, 10:50
Very pleased to see the T30's are working out for you Willy! How's the snow testing going...?

willytheekid
25th June 2013, 12:23
Very pleased to see the T30's are working out for you Willy! How's the snow testing going...?

:cold: ff...fff...friggin great! :lol:

These T30's are just amazing jay, Icy roads and even "light" snow was no problem for them at all!:eek5:

...the only "real" loss of traction so far....diesel!! :crazy:, and that was in frozen "pre 7am" conditions as well...and yet no twitching, no sudden loss of traction, just a gentle slide then a firm bite as I gained traction again.
I was actually laughing at the cars this morning as they drove "ever so carefully & slowly" in the icy conditions...while I was crusing along as usual, comfortable, relaxed and just enjoying the ride...there where no concerns about grip at all:2thumbsup

...Im now sure these are alien tech! :laugh:

Maha
25th June 2013, 14:28
This weekend looking mighty fine up this way, will give the T30's more road time.
They performed very well a few weeks back on a moss laden road in light rain, however, I do ride to the condition's but I can honestly say that, the 021's would have had me almost walking the bike ;)

willytheekid
25th June 2013, 19:24
This weekend looking mighty fine up this way, will give the T30's more road time.
They performed very well a few weeks back on a moss laden road in light rain, however, I do ride to the condition's but I can honestly say that, the 021's would have had me almost walking the bike ;)

I too found them to be amazing on a certain slippery mossy road in the wet, my old power pilots had you seriously "puckering" your way around the greasy corners...the T30's, stable, grippy and holding a line like your on a track!
Great to hear your enjoying them as well mate :niceone:

I Honestly can't say enough about these tyres - dry, wet, cold, hot, mossy, icy, snowy!!, ALL conditions...rock solid...stable...confidence inspiring and super sticky! :clap:...well done Bridgestone (Its Alien tech ain't it?;))

Zapf
12th July 2013, 09:52
Running a set of T30's on the other side of the world. Between 36C and 15C heat. And 2 & 1 up with Luggage & 150hp.

Will update as a set is worn thru in a month? :)

So far have done a few hundred k's. In both 30+ degree heat and sustained 130+ kph for few hours, and also 10+ degrees in pouring rain in alpine conditions. No slips and they stick like magic glue to the road. Question is what is their limit...

Gremlin
14th July 2013, 18:10
Question is what is their limit...
I'd suggest that as long as the limit is above anything you're doing, who cares.

Normally you find the limit when you go past it :whistle:

willytheekid
28th July 2013, 16:42
Just over 2500 miles*on these tyres now...still no sign of wear!:eek5: (*about 4000k)

I'm honestly amazed!...I truly expected a flat spot to be starting to develop by now, what with all the boring straight line trips to work everyday, and me being naturally hard on the accelerator and brake's!...and not to mention the V4's tendency to be slightly harder on tyres than most engine configurations.

another fact Ive noticed with tyres is pressure levels...they haven't changed since fitting :blink:

I check the pressure's regularly, Ive adjusted them once to allow for better winter grip...but other than that...they haven't lost one PSI!! -I put this down to the incredibly stiff side walls:yes:....but still, that's pretty damn amazing!, and to also include the fact that CHCH's road's are currently pot hole, kidney punching crap!....you can understand my amazement.

The performance levels of the tyres still haven't changed...simply amazing!

Once I hit over 5k+ I will post some photos to show the wear the daily flat lining to and from work has inflicted (bugger all!), and I "may" post some ride video (But I friggin doubt it to be honest lol...I know what you lot are like "reviewing" people's ride footage :nya:)

:2thumbsup

Zapf
30th July 2013, 06:14
...still no sign of wear!:eek5: (*about 4000k)

For the records can you tell us what bike you ride and if you carry any topbox / luggage? thanks.

Maha
30th July 2013, 07:07
For the records can you tell us what bike you ride and if you carry any topbox / luggage? thanks.

I have the same tyres on my GSX1250FA and always have the panniers on, add the top box when we go away. Must weigh around 280kgs + with all the gear on?..42 rear and 36 front, amazing tyres.

willytheekid
30th July 2013, 07:09

Hi Zap

Bike is my 18yr old 95 VFR750 with nearly 120,000k on the clock (see attached...any excuse to show the old girl off :laugh:..oh...and the other thing is "retard dog!"...beware of retard dog!:blink:)
My work trip is about a 70k round trip, I carry a Givi bike backpack loaded up with all the usual stuff, first aid kit, wet weather gear, Hi Hiz vest, bike lock, work laptop(sometimes) my lunch!:drool:...an assorted crap!

The lack of wear is mostly due to all the bloody straights roads I travel (Its IS canterbury after all), and the fact that Ive only managed to get up into the hills for some scratching about three times since fitting (2 kids an the retarded dog take up most of my spare time :laugh:)...but the tyres excelled during those three "fun" :shifty: trips up in the hills :yes:

Hence this is a daily grind review for the average rider who use's there bike mostly for daily transport

willytheekid
30th July 2013, 14:15
I have the same tyres on my GSX1250FA and always have the panniers on, add the top box when we go away. Must weigh around 280kgs + with all the gear on?..42 rear and 36 front, amazing tyres.

mmmmmm tasty bike that! :drool:(Cheers for pic'y)

Glad your enjoying the tyres as much as I am mate :niceone: (Just amazing grip and feel even when in the absolute worst! of conditions)

Maha
30th July 2013, 15:18
mmmmmm tasty bike that! :drool:(Cheers for pic'y)

Glad your enjoying the tyres as much as I am mate :niceone: (Just amazing grip and feel even when in the absolute worst! of conditions)

Excluding ice grit....:sweatdrop

Zapf
31st July 2013, 03:03

Thanks, I am having quite a different experience. Have a 1200cc twin, with boxes and luggage it weights around 240kg. Not including me. But the rear looks like it won't last beyond 5k. However the air temperature here varies between 23C to 33C. Much warmer place.

JayRacer37
31st July 2013, 14:51
Thanks, I am having quite a different experience. Have a 1200cc twin, with boxes and luggage it weights around 240kg. Not including me. But the rear looks like it won't last beyond 5k. However the air temperature here varies between 23C to 33C. Much warmer place.

Hi Zapf,

Out of interest, what is the 1200cc twin, how many KM's has it done and where are you based?

Jay

Gremlin
31st July 2013, 15:40
Out of interest, what is the 1200cc twin, how many KM's has it done and where are you based?
MTS1200, done around 24k now, Spain, last I checked (bastard).

Zapf
1st August 2013, 11:46
Have done 3 1/2 thousand k's on a mix of fast motorway 130~140kph and also back roads coro style. Center and side tread are around 3~4 mm's left (equal for center and side) Side tread wears very quickly specially on spirted 130+kph long hill climbs due to soft rubber. Tire does not feel as stable as a Z8, and provides less feed back. However very good grip... (when you have such good grip do you need feed back still?)

Will be burning up thru France and into Germany, approx 1200km (fast motorway) which I assume will finish them off and I have a set of Z8's waiting in Germany.

The above must be read in conjunction of the following
Bike weight: 240~250kg with no rider but inc luggage and fuel
Bike power: 150hp
Bike engine: twin (not nice to tires)
Air temp: 25~33 degrees
Tire pressure: 42psi (rear)

Knowing how grippy these tires are, I would put them onto a lighter less powerful bike as the tire should work very well there. E.g like my NC700X. Got close to 10'000km with BT023's

I suspect controlling the temperature of the tire is key to it lasting much longer. However there is not much else I can do. ps the bike is suspended properly

I now think the T30 would be awesome for the UK winter... (as long as it doesn't get below zero... else you get cracked tires I read)

JayRacer37
2nd August 2013, 13:43
Have done 3 1/2 thousand k's on a mix of fast motorway 130~140kph and also back roads coro style. Center and side tread are around 3~4 mm's left (equal for center and side) Side tread wears very quickly specially on spirted 130+kph long hill climbs due to soft rubber. Tire does not feel as stable as a Z8, and provides less feed back. However very good grip... (when you have such good grip do you need feed back still?)

Will be burning up thru France and into Germany, approx 1200km (fast motorway) which I assume will finish them off and I have a set of Z8's waiting in Germany.

The above must be read in conjunction of the following
Bike weight: 240~250kg with no rider but inc luggage and fuel
Bike power: 150hp
Bike engine: twin (not nice to tires)
Air temp: 25~33 degrees
Tire pressure: 42psi (rear)

Knowing how grippy these tires are, I would put them onto a lighter less powerful bike as the tire should work very well there. E.g like my NC700X. Got close to 10'000km with BT023's

I suspect controlling the temperature of the tire is key to it lasting much longer. However there is not much else I can do. ps the bike is suspended properly

I now think the T30 would be awesome for the UK winter... (as long as it doesn't get below zero... else you get cracked tires I read)

Yes, the cracking thing can happen for sure, although with all tyres - this is something that can happen with below zero rubber that gets flexed.

I would hazard a guess (and guess only!) that an S20 rear might last better for you, while providing more feeling.

The reason I say this is because it sounds like you are overheating the carcass - certainly possible on a bike like that. Becuase the MTS1200 is a taller bike with longer suspension travel it pitches its weight a lot so it has a higher weight effect on the tyre than traditional tourers and can put even more temperature in the tyres. Also the S20 is a 'softer' rubber compound and can move further with the big twin pulses without the ripping effect that can happen with a firmer rubber, meaning it might last a little longer.

Zapf
5th August 2013, 01:23
I would hazard a guess (and guess only!) that an S20 rear might last better for you, while providing more feeling.

Interesting suggestion.... a softer rubber tire may last longer... but you do have a few points. We can put it to the test later this year in NZ. And I am sure you can sort me out a tire for testing.... LOL

JayRacer37
5th August 2013, 13:45
Interesting suggestion.... a softer rubber tire may last longer... but you do have a few points. We can put it to the test later this year in NZ. And I am sure you can sort me out a tire for testing.... LOL

Yeah a bit counter-intuitive, but we used to see in particular with Triumph triples that a softer tyre would last a few thousand KM's longer as it wasn't being torn as frequently as the more touring tyre. The same goes for bikes like the Hayabusa, if the rider is gentle and uses it for touring, the touring tyre lasts better, but someone who gives it a bit might find the sports one last better for them.

caspernz
5th August 2013, 15:09
Yeah a bit counter-intuitive, but we used to see in particular with Triumph triples that a softer tyre would last a few thousand KM's longer as it wasn't being torn as frequently as the more touring tyre. The same goes for bikes like the Hayabusa, if the rider is gentle and uses it for touring, the touring tyre lasts better, but someone who gives it a bit might find the sports one last better for them.

Haha, I've been following both the S20 and T30 user reviews and pondering which Bridgestone to go for once I've shredded the BT015s on my Busa...and since I do both a bit of touring and I do like to give the bike a bit...by your reckoning the S20 is the one to get...which is in keeping with the sporty intent of the bike anyway :woohoo:
So cheers Jay :niceone:

AllanB
5th August 2013, 19:33
Do they not make a 'GT' spec T30 for the heavier bikes?

JayRacer37
6th August 2013, 13:42
Haha, I've been following both the S20 and T30 user reviews and pondering which Bridgestone to go for once I've shredded the BT015s on my Busa...and since I do both a bit of touring and I do like to give the bike a bit...by your reckoning the S20 is the one to get...which is in keeping with the sporty intent of the bike anyway :woohoo:
So cheers Jay :niceone:

I reckon so. If you give a Busa a hammering mileage is always going to be a compromise, so why not enjoy a little more grip while you are at it?

Do they not make a 'GT' spec T30 for the heavier bikes?

Yes they do, they have actually expanded the GT range for T30 into a fitment to suit the Honda ST1300 also. The 190/55 rear is available only as a 'GT' too (same as the BT023) so the range of GT versions is up to five tyres.

Zapf
8th August 2013, 10:19

Well I am being gentle. :) And yes it was a 190/55 on my bike and can confirm it was a GT spec. Will give you a bell when I get back to NZ.

willytheekid
3rd September 2013, 17:34
IVE GOT A FLAT SPOT!!! :eek5:

The headset bearings have just the "slightest" notch in them, it was Barely noticeable in fact...even Roger commented how faint it was...but its there!

So my apologies to Bridgestone NZ..Ive prematurely worn the front Tyre(Its not bad tho!...one quick run over the hill should deal to it:msn-wink:)....but it seems the old girl needs some attention :o

Hence I have ordered my Infidel some new bearings and Roger is gonna rip the front end off, swap the bearings & fork oil out, and then realign everything all snug as a bug for me:niceone:...sorted!

pic's below...1.front "looks ok"....2.Nope...it aint!...3.backs doing great!...4....over 5k done on that Tyre, unfortunately its been mostly all work commute*

*tis true, Ive only been up in the hills about 5-6 times since putting these tyres on :facepalm:, but even so!, thats great wear!!

Trade_nancy
3rd September 2013, 18:26
Why does the knotchy headstock wear the centre off your tyre?

willytheekid
3rd September 2013, 19:27
Why does the knotchy headstock wear the centre off your tyre?

The combination of boring straight road riding due to the daily commute, combined with slightly blown headset bearings (there's slight movement, which is amplified by braking forces etc), has led to enhanced Tyre wear

...But Im also looking at the forks, wheel bearings, brakes, the lot!...just to be sure :msn-wink:

caspernz
4th September 2013, 13:56
I've yet to see a tyre that doesn't develop a flat section after many miles doing the commuting thing.

Worn bearings would only be a minor contributing factor to that ;)

willytheekid
4th September 2013, 15:11
I've yet to see a tyre that doesn't develop a flat section after many miles doing the commuting thing.

Worn bearings would only be a minor contributing factor to that ;)

Christ sake, not you too! :facepalm:

Yes...Ive yet to see a tyre that dosn't get flat spots from straight line commuting
Yes...Ive been doing alot of said boring straight line commuting that would cause this.
But my post CLEARLY states "prematurely worn" (As it has happened to fast for "normal wear")

Surely I am not the only one on here that notice's such obvious signs as pitted bearings, and then gets these minor faults investigated and fixed straight away? :blink: (And my money is actually on the whole front end being slightly out of whack...hence the complete strip & rebuild being booked in with Roger :niceone:)

I may not know much about the world etc(because lets face it...Im basically an idiot!:clap:)...but when it comes to my bike, I know every inch, bolt & nut on her, and the warning sign's when shit aint right...and shit...aint quite right :( (hence the increased wear)

ps...I think some idiot has been power standing her far to often...dunno who tho officer :innocent:

caseye
4th September 2013, 17:00
Reckon, I could HAZARD a guess there Mr Willy! Sad news, but good news too really, fixed up shes really gunna hug that tarmac.
Got to Ride for two whole days last weekend mate, bewdiful it was, ol coal burner goes like a bundle of arseholes in a farting contest whens she's allowed to have her head.
Been there done that with head and wheel bearings, makes a big difference to feel and the rightness of things, good for you.

willytheekid
1st October 2013, 16:19
Ive had the bike back for a week now:woohoo:

....Roger did an amazing job on the front end strip down, bearing replacement and alignment:niceone:
Bike feels great!

As for the tyres, they are still wearing well and providing great grip and feed back as usual...these tyres just love this bike!:eek:

I will head up into the hills and try to tidy up that front Tyre's profile soon, I will post some more pic's of the wear after that :D

ps:...Im a tad upset that no-one noticed the new 90's carbon bling! on the rear end of the bike!...harris no-less FFS, and I thought this was a bike enthusiast's site <_<

willytheekid
7th January 2014, 20:29
Sorry for the delay in updates KBers...its been a rough few months leading into Xmas...between work overload and our house being sold...the updates have been lacking :facepalm:

So heres one with pictures! :D

The tyres have just over 5500 miles on them now (Nearly 9000ks), and they are STILL going strong :clap:...sure, Ive only been up in the hills about four or five times since my last update, but between those runs, my daily grind and the occasional blast here and there, they have held up amazingly!

Check out the wear in the pictures attached, these hoops are working out great for my old girl, the VFR truly loves these tyres.
The summer runs have not effected the tyres much at all, I was actually waiting for the hot days to turn these into a molten mess...just because of the level of performance in winter conditions, and the softness if the tread....nope!...they don't seem to over heat at all, no signs of excessive wear and the same amazing levels of grip I enjoyed over the cooler months, I'm truly impressed.

ps...check out the front tyre wear now that the front end has been rebuilt & aligned....So much better! (Thanks Roger!)

JayRacer37
14th January 2014, 08:32
Sorry for the delay in updates KBers...its been a rough few months leading into Xmas...between work overload and our house being sold...the updates have been lacking :facepalm:

So heres one with pictures! :D

The tyres have just over 5500 miles on them now (Nearly 9000ks), and they are STILL going strong :clap:...sure, Ive only been up in the hills about four or five times since my last update, but between those runs, my daily grind and the occasional blast here and there, they have held up amazingly!

Check out the wear in the pictures attached, these hoops are working out great for my old girl, the VFR truly loves these tyres.
The summer runs have not effected the tyres much at all, I was actually waiting for the hot days to turn these into a molten mess...just because of the level of performance in winter conditions, and the softness if the tread....nope!...they don't seem to over heat at all, no signs of excessive wear and the same amazing levels of grip I enjoyed over the cooler months, I'm truly impressed.

Awesome Willy, thanks for the update. Really pleased they are working out so well for the VFR.

caseye
14th January 2014, 18:25
House sold???
So ya all living under the VF then??
Good to see you've got her back to 100% mate.
Hope Christmas and new years have been good to you all.

browjo
5th February 2014, 09:31
1st impressions from freshly fitted front with half worn Bt023 rear was the front felt instantly grippy. I still couldn't mentally push the front until after about 100kms as it feels too strange after riding bikes for nearly 40 years.

I put a 170 T30 GT on the rear after completing a total of 12'000 Km on a BT023 non GT rear. The rear tyre felt grippy straight of.

I'ved one a winter season and summer up to present. This has included a combination of motorway commutes, rides to Kaiaua, Thames/Coromandel loop and Kopu/Waihi, in mixtures of dry wet and cold conditions.

The tryes always have felt sure footed using care depending on the conditions. I didn't notice much difference in wet conditions between the Bt023 and T30, but I think the T30's had the edge in the dry.

I've done a total of 15,000 kms on the front and 10'000 kms on the rear and both tyres are near the wear limits. I probably could get another 1000 kms out of both, but will replace them end of this week as I'm doing a trip and prefer a bit more tread in the variable conditions at the moment. There has been no cupping on the front tyre as is so common with telelever front ends

I would recommend these tyres and will give further impressions about the second set after a South Island trip.

Cheers

JB

steelestring
7th February 2014, 12:04
First of all thanks for the review! Good work!
Just opted for the T30's over the S20's ...since there is a looming 4 day ride down south and wanted something with a bit more milage. Plus a mate with a fireblade thou, said they are doing good things.
I have been riding with a pillion in the twisties and in highway mode plus a track day, the b16 pros did an amazing job at a higher presure 36/38. They also performed very well for me in the cold.
I am thinking of running the same pressures on the 600 with the T30's. After reading Jays comment about over heating the tire carcus and serious wear occuring I am having second thoughts. Should be an interesting test.

Proposed cold pressures:

Just me road 34/36
Spirited road 2 up 36/38
Track warm 34/32

AllanB
7th February 2014, 12:19
T30's on my Hornet 900.

Front 35, rear 38 one up.

Preforming exceptionally well. Highly recommended.

Owl
6th April 2014, 09:46
I just killed my rear T30 with a total of 8608km. Front T30 has done approximately 7500km and still has plenty of life left in it, so I won't be replacing that for some time. I never replaced as a set, because the S20 front still had some life.

I've found the T30's to be very good overall and would be more than happy to fit them again.

Well done to Avon City Suzuki for supplying some reasonably priced tyres.

V4800
2nd January 2015, 20:01
I just killed my rear T30 with a total of 8608km. Front T30 has done approximately 7500km and still has plenty of life left in it, so I won't be replacing that for some time. I never replaced as a set, because the S20 front still had some life.

I've found the T30's to be very good overall and would be more than happy to fit them again.

Well done to Avon City Suzuki for supplying some reasonably priced tyres.

I also had a pair of T30s fitted to my VFR800 at Avon city. I have finally smoked my rear tyre at approx 8600km. Brilliant tyres, I have given them as harder time as I could and never had a problem with traction. Im getting another T30 rear, front is still good.

Owl
3rd January 2015, 07:04
Im getting another T30 rear, front is still good.

I ended up with nearly 12,500km out of the front.

Dodgy
3rd January 2015, 16:21
I fitted these at 99,000km to the VFR800 and the bike now has 115,000km on it. Even at 16,000km, the rear has another WOF in it, perhaps the front has as well.

Really good value and performance considering the km. The handling is a little off now, but not bad enough to make me change them. Use has been 3x South Island trips, commuting and general riding.

smmudd83_1999
1st April 2015, 09:44
These replaced a set of Bridgestone BT0s. I bought the bike with a 180 section tyre fitted on the rear, but the rim is actually sized for 170mm.
When it came to a tyre swap, I decided to revert back to the original 170mm wide tyre using the T30s. The front was close to replacement (still just WOFable) so went in for fitting & balancing both at TSS in Lower Hutt.

What a difference! Even during the scrub in period - not just loads of grip like everyone talks about...but also the feed back is phenomenal. The tyre is also stable (stiffer sidewall?) which means it holds its line and makes the bike handle in such a way that inspires more confidence. I'm not sure how they compare to the super grippy soft sporting compound tyres, but they are the best handling tyre I have ever had to date.
I found turn in was quicker. I'm not sure if this is due to a steeper profile, I half suspect it is because these tyres are now 10mm narrower. And the grip available is much more despite the smaller contact patch.

They are pretty good in the wet, too.
Wet diesel is still an issue, but always has and always will be.

The tyres have only done about 300kms. I will be looking forward to seeing what the wear rate is, though I understand from previous comments it should be good.

Keeping my comments in context, this is on a Moto Guzzi V11 Sport. Has been ridden with these tyres for the last 2 and a half weeks in all weathers, mostly commuting (but I live in the hills with some twisty bits and commute when traffic is low). The Guzzi is a torquey twin, vaguely sporty-ish, but the engine is running around 3k rpm all the time (loads of low down torque). Bike weighs maybe 240kg with some fuel and rider weighs 75kg.