PDA

View Full Version : John Key third "most ridiculous" world leader

Banditbandit
8th May 2013, 10:04
Bwhahahaha ...

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/john-key-third-most-ridiculous-world-leader-list-5426385

mashman
8th May 2013, 13:19
and then he goes on to say "The reality is, even Wellington is dying and we don't know how to turn it around" and that businesses are leaving Wellington because of the infrastructure issues. Why the fuck are they building that useless highway if we're going to be culling the Welly workforce? Coz business owners wish to get into work in supposedly less traffic?

So he's not only a moron, but a real fuckin bonafide moron.

MisterD
8th May 2013, 13:45
If I was JK, I'd totally take being on any list bracketed by Stephen Harper and Boris Johnson.

Edbear
8th May 2013, 14:46
Some people need to get a life! :no:

sidecar bob
8th May 2013, 14:55
Yeah, my money is on that Green Party bloke, hes a real thinker & talks with a highly educated wisdom.

HenryDorsetCase
8th May 2013, 15:19
Yeah, my money is on that Green Party bloke, hes a real thinker & talks with a highly educated wisdom.

mine too, as it happens. nice to know we are kindred spirits.

Swoop
8th May 2013, 15:20
Why the fuck are they building that useless highway... ?
Strangely, on the news the other day, the Lunatic Fringe party (greens) had their spokesperson harping on about NOT building that transmission gully thingy as "Wellington isn't growing but Auckland needs the new infrastructure".

Perhaps finding incentives to get businesses out of Auckland and into other towns, would be desirable?

scissorhands
8th May 2013, 15:45
maybe he will be fondly remembered like George Bush junior?

huff3r
8th May 2013, 17:11
Strangely, on the news the other day, the Lunatic Fringe party (greens) had their spokesperson harping on about NOT building that transmission gully thingy as "Wellington isn't growing but Auckland needs the new infrastructure".

Perhaps finding incentives to get businesses out of Auckland and into other towns, would be desirable?

Which is dumb, because the reason transmission gully is needed is not because of the quantity of traffic, but because of the frailty of the existing road. A decent storm and it could be shut for hours! There needs to be an alternative route north for when the shit hits the fan.

scumdog
8th May 2013, 17:23
Wow, this thread has really taken off huh!

Maybe it's because of the quality of information and its source...

mashman
8th May 2013, 17:28

True. As mentioned in other place, why not build remote office business centre type things further up the coast? T'would alleviate a decent chunk of the morning southbound congestion and make use of the empty northbound lanes... and vice versa in the evening. T'would also allow bright new shiny facility's for Auckland business to move in to. What would you think more appealing? A nice hyper modern building to work in (quicker to build?) or a nice shiny road to crawl along in rush hour? Transport ain't the only "solution".

Which is dumb, because the reason transmission gully is needed is not because of the quantity of traffic, but because of the frailty of the existing road. A decent storm and it could be shut for hours! There needs to be an alternative route north for when the shit hits the fan.

Or even better, another road into Wellington as the existing 1 that's elevated and likely to fall down in a decent shake really ain't gonna cut it.

Robert Taylor
8th May 2013, 18:46

That is bang on the money, incentives for growth in other towns. Auckland is already too big and out of control.

Ocean1
8th May 2013, 18:46
True. As mentioned in other place, why not build remote office business centre type things further up the coast?

Done that. It's called Palmerston North. We built it so all of the undesirable malcontent imigrants could have somewhere to live that could provide them with at least a nominal reason for all of the whining, and to stop them clogging up all the roads. You should move there.

Or even better, another road into Wellington as the existing 1 that's elevated and likely to fall down in a decent shake really ain't gonna cut it.

Likely to fall down? It's possibly the bit of road out of town most likely to remain navigable if teh fault lets rip.

Ocean1
8th May 2013, 18:49
That is bang on the money, incentives for growth in other towns. Auckland is already too big and out of control.

When I worked in London there was a "city allowance" built into the wages of most of 7 million (?) daily non resident workers. It was supposed to compensate them for the extra costs, and it wasn't peanuts. Always seemed like an arse-backwards idea to me.

Oakie
8th May 2013, 19:03

mine too, as it happens. nice to know we are kindred spirits.

But you couldn't recall his name? Must have made a big impression! Ha ha. I can't remember his name now either. Feck it!

HenryDorsetCase
8th May 2013, 19:16
But you couldn't recall his name? Must have made a big impression! Ha ha. I can't remember his name now either. Feck it!

Russell Norman.... Metiria Turei

pete376403
8th May 2013, 19:26

Been done before, back in the Muldoon days. Some years ago I did some IT work for a company out in Waiuku and I asked why they were located that far out. Sole reason was the government incentives provided .

todays free-market purity ethic would never allow subsidies like that.

Oakie
8th May 2013, 19:31
Russell Norman.... Metiria Turei

Russel Norman actually ... 1 'l' instead of 2. Cutting back on the use of 'l's because they are endangered perhaps?

husaberg
8th May 2013, 19:38
Been done before, back in the Muldoon days. Some years ago I did some IT work for a company out in Waiuku and I asked why they were located that far out. Sole reason was the government incentives provided .

todays free-market purity ethic would never allow subsidies like that.

It's a bit off topic
But at the moment a percent of the road user charges go back to the non state highway areas. To maintain council roads etc.
My understanding is soon this will be slashed with the monies being diverted for "Roads of National importance" (Auckland)
Kind of makes a mockery of User pays.....

Boris the major of London is one of a rare breed of politician, one who is able to laugh at himself. He is Funny as fuck.
I have yet to see our one leader crack a joke. Maybe he was out of the country at the time or he doesn't recall any?

mashman
8th May 2013, 19:57
Done that. It's called Palmerston North. We built it so all of the undesirable malcontent imigrants could have somewhere to live that could provide them with at least a nominal reason for all of the whining, and to stop them clogging up all the roads. You should move there.

Likely to fall down? It's possibly the bit of road out of town most likely to remain navigable if teh fault lets rip.

There's been a slight increase in the volume of traffic, number of human beings and tolerance to foreigners since the 1870's. Put it in Kapiti somewhere.

Ok. I'm sure Wellington engineering is by far superior than Christchurch's as we much have that new stretchy concrete.

Katman
8th May 2013, 20:08
I'm surprised this guy's not on the list.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y7Z4K7qiogU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

huff3r
8th May 2013, 20:17
There's been a slight increase in the volume of traffic, number of human beings and tolerance to foreigners since the 1870's. Put it in Kapiti somewhere.

Ok. I'm sure Wellington engineering is by far superior than Christchurch's as we much have that new stretchy concrete.

Not stretchy, but definitely more re-enforced as building standards in Welly have been stricter for a long, long time due to the known and expected earthquake risk. Whereas ChCh thought it'd never happen to them....

Ocean1
8th May 2013, 20:20

Aye. None of those represent things we should be pleased about.

And fukc off, Kapiti is far too much like Hawaii compared to PN, you trying to encourage them ffs?

That, and base isolators.

puddytat
8th May 2013, 20:38
<_<So if he's the 3rd most ridiculous world leader then it could be said that NZ is the 3rd most ridiculous country 'cause you voted for 'im.

mashman
8th May 2013, 20:49
Not stretchy, but definitely more re-enforced as building standards in Welly have been stricter for a long, long time due to the known and expected earthquake risk. Whereas ChCh thought it'd never happen to them....

Strong enough to resist a road drop of a metre? or perhaps a shift where the north side of the bridge goes one way and the south the other?

And fukc off, Kapiti is far too much like Hawaii compared to PN, you trying to encourage them ffs?

If only more were as progressive as yourself.

Well plenty of "them" already live there ffs... wouldn't it be better that they work there too?

Well if it falls down I am going to tell you that I told you so.

idb
8th May 2013, 20:56

There is also that clever idea of putting rubber shock absorbers in the foundations.
I wonder why they don't go the whole hog and construct the entire building out of rubber.

OK, it'll smell like you're working in an old tyre, or a condom, and might sway a bit in the wind, but it should stand up to any earthquake.

idb
8th May 2013, 20:59

Yeah, 'Base Isolators' is what I meant.
Build the whole structure out of them!

Kickaha
8th May 2013, 21:00
Not stretchy, but definitely more re-enforced as building standards in Welly have been stricter for a long, long time due to the known and expected earthquake risk. From what I've heard there's going to be quite a few buildings knocked down in Welly once they've finished Christchurch

and might sway a bit in the wind
The've already got buildings like that

mashman
8th May 2013, 21:10
There is also that clever idea of putting rubber shock absorbers in the foundations.
I wonder why they don't go the whole hog and construct the entire building out of rubber.

OK, it'll smell like you're working in an old tyre, or a condom, and might sway a bit in the wind, but it should stand up to any earthquake.

I believe that they're called base isolators... apparently.

Love the idea of the rubber building as I'd take to bouncing around the office.

Ocean1
8th May 2013, 21:25
Strong enough to resist a road drop of a metre? or perhaps a shift where the north side of the bridge goes one way and the south the other?

They're not magic, the objective isn't to prevent damage, just to make structures survivable.

I believe that they're called base isolators... apparently.

Love the idea of the rubber building as I'd take to bouncing around the office.

And lead. Base isolators use rubber like the spring on the shock in the back of your bike. They use lead as the oil, the sheering lead absorbs energy and dampens movement at the building's critical frequency.

husaberg
8th May 2013, 21:32
They're not magic, the objective isn't to prevent damage, just to make structures survivable.

And lead. Base isolators use rubber like the spring on the shock in the back of your bike. They use lead as the oil, the sheering lead absorbs energy and dampens movement at the building's critical frequency.

Been a while, but doesn't the Lead actually melt? i think either the beehive or the houses of parliament were fitted/retrofiited weren't they?
Sure makes me feel at ease knowing the MP's will be ok in th eevent of the unthinkable.

Robert Taylor
8th May 2013, 22:38
Is ''Ding Dong Dit'' from North Korea on that list? As well as Julia from across the ditch and the idiot ( Hollandaise sauce )that took over from Sarkozy in France?

Madness
8th May 2013, 22:48
Some people need to get a life! :no:

:clap: Pure gold Ed!

sidecar bob
9th May 2013, 07:41

Yeah, the "talks out his arse, fuckin idiot politician list" hasnt been made yet, so I was unable to google him.
Who decided Key was ridiculous? some feeble minded unemployed lefty with an internet connection & nothing better to do?

oneofsix
9th May 2013, 07:50
Who decided Key was ridiculous? some feeble minded unemployed lefty with an internet connection & nothing better to do?

No, just about anybody that is not so feeble minded as to be sucked in by a greasy smile and feeble lies, well he either lies a lot or his memory is too weak to allow him to continue as PM. :bleh:

mashman
9th May 2013, 07:57

I understand that. Which is why I reckon that building in Kapiti or indeed building another road out of Welly would be the go over spending hundreds of millions of $ on speeding up journey time by 5 minutes. Doesn't stop JK from being a dick though by ignoring other potential solutions.

Cool. Let's hope they don't have to be tested.

huff3r
9th May 2013, 08:31
I understand that. Which is why I reckon that building in Kapiti or indeed building another road out of Welly would be the go over spending hundreds of millions of $ on speeding up journey time by 5 minutes. Doesn't stop JK from being a dick though by ignoring other potential solutions.

Yes, the watered down transmission gully is a bit shit. They really need to do the full original plan, it was much better.

sidecar bob
9th May 2013, 09:40
No, just about anybody that is not so feeble minded as to be sucked in by a greasy smile and feeble lies, well he either lies a lot or his memory is too weak to allow him to continue as PM. :bleh:

He was elected by the citizens of NZ by a fair margin. So statisticaly, the majority do not share your view. Just saying.

Banditbandit
9th May 2013, 09:45
Wow, this thread has really taken off huh!

Maybe it's because of the quality of information and its source...

Huh ?? What are you trying to say ????

Is ''Ding Dong Dit'' from North Korea on that list? As well as Julia from across the ditch and the idiot ( Hollandaise sauce )that took over from Sarkozy in France?

Did you actually look at the link and read the list???

If you looked at the link it would tell you ... BuzzFeed - out of 'merika

He was elected by the citizens of NZ by a fair margin. So statisticaly, the majority do not share your view. Just saying.

The majority of citizens did NOT vote for DonKey and the National Party ... and this is a list from overseas ... so maybe the rest of the world thinks he's a buffoon ... Should we care??? Hell Yes .. how can DonKey put us in a good light and represent us overseas when the rest of the world think he is ridiculous ... ???

scissorhands
9th May 2013, 10:02
David Letterman had to really hold himself back when interviewing Mr Key a few years back
It reminded me of travelling in Asia and coming across a kiwi..... They just stick out a bit, you know? In a good way for a traveller/ambassador, but kind of in a bad way for a leader.

Generally many of our 'leaders' are kind of shit, and the ones that are, are sort of ejected out of embarrassment, like a woman at a hen party who admits to fixing cars and doing the lawns

Crap leadership will shine thru the covering garments in time, he has too many chinks emerging and they are being noticed

sidecar bob
9th May 2013, 12:11
If you looked at the link it would tell you ... BuzzFeed - out of 'merika

The majority of citizens did NOT vote for DonKey and the National [party ... and this is a list from overseas ... so maybe the rest of the world thinks he's a buffoon ... Should we care??? Hell Yes .. how can DonKey put us in a good light and represent us overseas when the rest of the world think he is ridiculous ... ???

So the list was compiled in the country that had the most retarded bufoon President ever?? Good work then.
Im fairly sure that those that voted National at the last election were not surprised when Key became Prime Minister, so in effect, they were making an informed decision to vote for him by proxy.
Have you seen the results of any recent research into preferred P.M lately? probably not id guess.
P.S Calling a bloke DonKey makes yoyu look a lot more stupid than it makes him look.

Swoop
9th May 2013, 12:36
I'm surprised this guy's not on the list.
That retard is an insult to Auckland.
The cockheads that voted for him should be ashamed.

scumdog
9th May 2013, 13:41

So....Key is useless and the correct person for PM is????? :confused:

oneofsix
9th May 2013, 13:44
So....Key is useless and the correct person for PM is????? :confused:

you are approaching it the wrong way Scummy. In NZ we vote PMs, or more correctly the party they belong to, out. Trouble is their are enough around that get confused by your style of question to give the bastards a second term.

idb
9th May 2013, 14:01

I like his smile...and his lies aren't feeble...

Banditbandit
9th May 2013, 15:03
So the list was compiled in the country that had the most retarded bufoon President ever?? Good work then.

Only one ??? (Both Bushs ... Nixon (more a crook than a buffoon .. but that nose!!!

Im fairly sure that those that voted National at the last election were not surprised when Key became Prime Minister, so in effect, they were making an informed decision to vote for him by proxy.

That does not even make sense ...

Have you seen the results of any recent research into preferred P.M lately? probably not id guess.

Of course I've seen it ... it just shows we have a country full of sheep who look up to a financial wide boy ...

P.S Calling a bloke DonKey makes yoyu look a lot more stupid than it makes him look.

I didn't coin it - someone else here did (I've forgotten who) .. but I thought it was at least amusing ...

And do you think your spelling and grammer makes you look intelligent???

Ocean1
9th May 2013, 15:07
Been a while, but doesn't the Lead actually melt? i think either the beehive or the houses of parliament were fitted/retrofiited weren't they?
Sure makes me feel at ease knowing the MP's will be ok in th eevent of the unthinkable.

Given the energy budget of a moderate quake I'd be surprised if it didn't simply suffer an immediate existance systems failure.

In what way is transmission gully not another way out of town?

I read somewhere that the total spent on various studies relating to transmission gulley over the years would have been enough to build the fucking road. If so, then if Key's a dick for advancing the actual construction involved then what were the preceeding 60 years worth of PMs that repeatedly blew the budget on bullshit?

Speaking of which, given the budget apparently required to save the merest hint of the slightest chance of a traffic related injury, (let alone fatality) and the fact that 10 years is spent each morning alone in that traffic, (a life every few days!) I'd be surprised if a case couldn't be made to spend every cent of the current traffic compliance budget on more roads. I'd be astonished if the case ever saw the light of day, but that's beside the point.

They have been. In a Lower Hutt workshop, using, (amongst other things) a big steel plate mounted on springs with a D8 Caterpillar with a fucking great cam bolted to the back shaking the shit out of stuff. The rig was originally built 40 years ago to test models of teh behive as a part of the design proof testing process wrt the quake-hardness of the CD facility underneath it. We were world leaders in such shit then, y'know.

sidecar bob
9th May 2013, 15:45
And do you think your spelling and grammer makes you look intelligent???

Im not sure, does it? Im not that smart, but I see no point in using the grammar of a peasant when I was educated better than that.
Others have remarked that they find it annoying too. Interesting that one needs to make a dogs breakfast of the English language in order not to be percieved as some kind of smart arse.

sidecar bob
9th May 2013, 15:46
That does not even make sense ...

Really?? Methinks Banditbandit needs to pay more attention in class.

mashman
9th May 2013, 18:14
In what way is transmission gully not another way out of town?

I read somewhere that the total spent on various studies relating to transmission gulley over the years would have been enough to build the fucking road. If so, then if Key's a dick for advancing the actual construction involved then what were the preceeding 60 years worth of PMs that repeatedly blew the budget on bullshit?

Speaking of which, given the budget apparently required to save the merest hint of the slightest chance of a traffic related injury, (let alone fatality) and the fact that 10 years is spent each morning alone in that traffic, (a life every few days!) I'd be surprised if a case couldn't be made to spend every cent of the current traffic compliance budget on more roads. I'd be astonished if the case ever saw the light of day, but that's beside the point.

They have been. In a Lower Hutt workshop, using, (amongst other things) a big steel plate mounted on springs with a D8 Caterpillar with a fucking great cam bolted to the back shaking the shit out of stuff. The rig was originally built 40 years ago to test models of teh behive as a part of the design proof testing process wrt the quake-hardness of the CD facility underneath it. We were world leaders in such shit then, y'know.

It being closer to Porirua than to Wellington kinda means it isn't another way out of town.

:rofl: that wouldn't surprise me... and you're right. Key is indeed a Dick for doing that very thing. Giving the green light for any other roading project of utter insignificance he decides to implement will only serve to add phrases like moron, fucktard, prick, dipshit, smurf etc... to his Donkey Shonky Dick title that he already holds.

Nice. Shame they skimped on several hundred other buildings in Welly eh.

Ocean1
9th May 2013, 19:37
It being closer to Porirua than to Wellington kinda means it isn't another way out of town.

I'm not about to debate the options for roading in and out of Wgtn with you, suficed to say that those with a few more clues than you about those options are getting on with the job. The fact that you don't like that is neither surprising nor relevant, you don't like fuck all, neither is the fact that you don't like JK, again you don't like anyone that disagrees with you. Most children grow out of that at about 14.

Nice. Shame they skimped on several hundred other buildings in Welly eh.

Wtf are you on about, why wouldn't a civil defense HQ be as quake proof as possible? As for the rest, all buildings in wgtn have to comply with current structural standards. Wipe your chin.

mashman
9th May 2013, 20:07
I'm not about to debate the options for roading in and out of Wgtn with you, suficed to say that those with a few more clues than you about those options are getting on with the job. The fact that you don't like that is neither surprising nor relevant, you don't like fuck all, neither is the fact that you don't like JK, again you don't like anyone that disagrees with you. Most children grow out of that at about 14.

Wtf are you on about, why wouldn't a civil defense HQ be as quake proof as possible? As for the rest, all buildings in wgtn have to comply with current structural standards. Wipe your chin.

Of that I have no doubt. I actually feel for them being stuck in the bracket of having to make do with what's available instead of having everything they require to do the absolute best that they can in everything they do. I'm not bashing their work ethic their, but at the end of the day they have to follow the policy of morons in a moronic society filled with morons that think that they best they can do is vote the morons in ever 3 years. And just in case your hearing aid is on the fritz, that's every last politician that is not doing what I class as is the right thing to do. Yes, that I class. Something you you may not be able to comprehend is that that doesn't mean that I don't like them. Primarily as I don't know them... but I do have a healthy dislike for their proven to be a failure brand of politics and blinkered focus.

:rofl: priceless! There are reportedly 700+ buildings that need strengthening in Welly. Why didn't they go all overkill in the first place? Because they only had to meet the standard of the day and the extra building costs just weren't worth it most likely. Talk about short-sighted :facepalm: and wipe your arse as it's dribbling one hell of a lot of shite this evening.

scumdog
9th May 2013, 20:33
Why didn't they go all overkill in the first place? Because they only had to meet the standard of the day and the extra building costs just weren't worth it most likely. Talk about short-sighted :facepalm: .

Yeah, silly them for not having 20-20 foresight...<_<

Ocean1
9th May 2013, 20:38
Yes, that I class. Something you you may not be able to comprehend is that that doesn't mean that I don't like them. Primarily as I don't know them... but I do have a healthy dislike for their proven to be a failure brand of politics and blinkered focus.

There's fuck all healthy about forever criticising the efforts of someone in a role you've never attempted and who is far better briefed on that role's requirements than you'll ever be. But, y'know whatever makes you feel adequate is probably true.

:rofl: priceless! There are reportedly 700+ buildings that need strengthening in Welly. Why didn't they go all overkill in the first place? Because they only had to meet the standard of the day and the extra building costs just weren't worth it most likely. Talk about short-sighted :facepalm: and wipe your arse as it's dribbling one hell of a lot of shite this evening.

Right, how thoughtless, they should all have known what future authorities would require, immediately developed technology decades ahead of their time, obtained materials not then available and spent far more than their contemporaries to make their buildings as safe as they are today. Cnuts.

mashman
9th May 2013, 20:57
There's fuck all healthy about forever criticising the efforts of someone in a role you've never attempted and who is far better briefed on that role's requirements than you'll ever be. But, y'know whatever makes you feel adequate is probably true.

Right, how thoughtless, they should all have known what future authorities would require, immediately developed technology decades ahead of their time, obtained materials not then available and spent far more than their contemporaries to make their buildings as safe as they are today. Cnuts.

Healthy for who? I deal with it quite well thanks... not to mention offering an alternative that would achieve just about everything that previous govts before have only been able to pretend to achieve to get back in to govt. If that's the best they can do, then by my yardstick they deserve my criticism. That's not conceit or arrogance, it's simple fact. If I had interest in their job I'd go for it... but I ain't ready for it for one.

Lead wasn't available? the ability to make springs wasn't available? I believe that the want to build things to a high standards was there by those who were designing etc... and were probably overruled on cost grounds. Tokyo seems to have managed it.

mashman
9th May 2013, 21:00
Yeah, silly them for not having 20-20 foresight...<_<

Bet yer fuckin arse. You live in a known earthquake zone and refuse to build to anything higher than standard coz ya don't have to? Fuckin genius. :facepalm:

scumdog
9th May 2013, 21:03
Bet yer fuckin arse. You live in a known earthquake zone and refuse to build to anything higher than standard coz ya don't have to? Fuckin genius. :facepalm:

And in the same circumstances you would have done different....?

mashman
9th May 2013, 21:07
And in the same circumstances you would have done different....?

Did I say "they" didn't try? If I had had the money to build a building 5 years ago I would have done exactly the same. Any time since then I wouldn't have settled for standard build quality.

Ocean1
9th May 2013, 21:12
Healthy for who? I deal with it quite well thanks... not to mention offering an alternative that would achieve just about everything that previous govts before have only been able to pretend to achieve to get back in to govt. If that's the best they can do, then by my yardstick they deserve my criticism. That's not conceit or arrogance, it's simple fact. If I had interest in their job I'd go for it... but I ain't ready for it for one.

Problem. Yardsticks under an inch long don't comply to the standard.

Lead wasn't available? the ability to make springs wasn't available? I believe that the want to build things to a high standards was there by those who were designing etc... and were probably overruled on cost grounds. Tokyo seems to have managed it.

Most of them were built to a high standard, much of Tokyo's structural standards are based on ours. As I said, outside of some very early heritage buildings constructed to European gravity wall conventions NZ's building standards represented best practice. Still do. Implying that evil corperate boogymen cut corners and risked innocent employees lives is patent drivel.

mashman
9th May 2013, 21:30
Problem. Yardsticks under an inch long don't comply to the standard.

Most of them were built to a high standard, much of Tokyo's structural standards are based on ours. As I said, outside of some very early heritage buildings constructed to European gravity wall conventions NZ's building standards represented best practice. Still do. Implying that evil corperate boogymen cut corners and risked innocent employees lives is patent drivel.

Poor Mrs Ocean.

Was it the best standard of the time? There was absolutely no way in hell they could have improved the integrity of the building at the time given the tech that was available? Am I talking about corporate greed? Sure that's one reason, but I ain't limited to it as the sole reason, well, not directly. However I'm not going to say that it isn't a factor.

Ocean1
9th May 2013, 21:39
Was it the best standard of the time?

It was THE standard of the time. Yo don't actually know what that means, do you?

mashman
9th May 2013, 21:46
It was THE standard of the time. Yo don't actually know what that means, do you?

Yes. I understand what the standard is. Is it impossible to build beyond standard? which would equal the best standard

Swoop
10th May 2013, 12:28
your spelling and grammer ...
Grammar.

why wouldn't a civil defense HQ be as quake proof as possible?
I wouldn't be too worried about earthquake proofing CD HQ.
Being in the basement of the beehive, the dam located up the valley is more of a threat. If that breaks there had better be good waterproofing of the doors to CD HQ.

scumdog
10th May 2013, 16:53
Yes. I understand what the standard is. Is it impossible to build beyond standard? which would equal the best standard

How far 'beyond'?
1%?
43.2%?

And if no incentive - why 'beyond' at all?

Clockwork
10th May 2013, 17:11

Mashie, as much as I generally agree with your sentiments, what CEO or budget holder is EVER going to spend more than they are required to on such mundane things as structural integrity. Cos if they did throw their money around with such ghaye abandon, how long could they hope to keep their job?

mashman
10th May 2013, 20:22
How far 'beyond'?
1%?
43.2%?

And if no incentive - why 'beyond' at all?

Would, Just In Case, be enough of an incentive? Buildings are already the wrong shape.

Mashie, as much as I generally agree with your sentiments, what CEO or budget holder is EVER going to spend more than they are required to on such mundane things as structural integrity. Cos if they did throw their money around with such ghaye abandon, how long could they hope to keep their job?

FINALLY someone points out the major (imho, only?) limiting factor. Aye, I am aware of the main reason why these things aren't done. Hence why I'm not bagging the people who have done the job as they have had to do so with given constraints. Ocean knows that, but didn't want to bring it up for some unknown reason :whistle:. Technically it's possible to build to way above and beyond high standards. Financially it isn't.

scumdog
10th May 2013, 20:30
Would, Just In Case, be enough of an incentive? Buildings are already the wrong shape.

So how much 'more' is enough for 'just in case'???

BTW: The world isn't run buy altruistic builders and manufacturers...and why should they? - I bet nobody has ever said "I'm so glad the builders exceeded the specifications - and without any additional cost"!

husaberg
10th May 2013, 20:38

While it is rare for me to agree with Mashy
A building that goes beyond the current standard is not that rare.
The buzz word is "Its called future proofing".
Sometimes its just different materials or design it doesn't necessarily need to cost more.
If it does other aspects can also be compomised like the looks, the open spaces etc.
Regardless most corporates are basically too afraid to say no, provided someone puts a safety angle at it.
In my experiance boards make the decisions anyway.

mashman
10th May 2013, 20:42
So how much 'more' is enough for 'just in case'???

BTW: The world isn't run buy altruistic builders and manufacturers...and why should they? - I bet nobody has ever said "I'm so glad the builders exceeded the specifications - and without any additional cost"!

Til you run out of space for strengthening.

Of course it isn't, but cost being a consideration/reason for not making a building as strong as possible ain't my idea of sensible resource usage, amongst other things. Just another tick against the financial system :yes:. We couldn't afford it, sorry the building collapsed and your loved ones died ain't a satisfactory excuse is it?