PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking to buy first bike (Jenksy)

Jenksy
11th May 2013, 22:57
Hi all ,

I just got my learners and Im looking to buy first bike. I really like the looks of a few, the problem is i don't know much about the pros n cons of each , ive done a fair amount for research but thought id post my own n see if anyone had 2 cents to throw in .
The bikes im interested in

Vtr 250 -- may favourite on looks but have never ridden
Gw 250 -- can buy brand new - $ 5695 2 yr warranty etc but there something about it that looks off and kinda like a hybrid sccoter\bike
Cbr 250 ( prefer naked..so not my first choice but is the fairing worth the added weather protection? )
hyosong GT 250 N -- though i have been told to stay away from hyo due to quality ? -- is this a fair comment ?
I ve had one buddy say 250 is too small and should go 400 - im 30 yrs old bout 6`1 90 kg and wanting to use primarily for commuting but would like bike that corners well and easy to feel in control of.
How many k`s is too many K`s -
should i stay away from a bike fro the 90`s ?
Obviously ive gotta go ride some to get a feel but want to know as much as possible before i get on them

Sorry for so many questions I would really appreciate anyones thoughts .

Cheers

ZondaX15
11th May 2013, 23:55
G'day mate, welcome aboard.

Can never go wrong with a VTR250, they're primo learner bikes. That would be my pick of the bunch you mentioned.

A 400 wouldn't be a bad thing, but you'll probably need to be more wary of accidentally going 70 in a 50 zone. I know I have.

Age, for me, isn't really a concern. Both my bikes are nearly 15 years old at the least, the oldest being 25 years old.

Personally, I try to stay below 35000km's. So long as the bikes well maintained, mileage should be alright so long as it isn't ridiculous.

Good luck on your search :)

Zippo
12th May 2013, 10:19
Other options i looked at were the Suzuki bandit and the Honda hornet. The hornet is slightly bigger in size and you may find it more comfortable because of your height :-)

Jenksy
12th May 2013, 11:23
G'day mate, welcome aboard.

Can never go wrong with a VTR250, they're primo learner bikes. That would be my pick of the bunch you mentioned.

A 400 wouldn't be a bad thing, but you'll probably need to be more wary of accidentally going 70 in a 50 zone. I know I have.

Age, for me, isn't really a concern. Both my bikes are nearly 15 years old at the least, the oldest being 25 years old.

Personally, I try to stay below 35000km's. So long as the bikes well maintained, mileage should be alright so long as it isn't ridiculous.

Good luck on your search :)

Hey man thanks for your advice,

I guess im gonna spend the next few weekends test riding eh. but whats even the best way to do this ..? are bike shops usually pretty ok about it ? ( dont necessarily want to buy from a bike shop if i can find better value elsewhere though peice of mind is alittle better.... ) but i cant imagine private sales peeps are too willing to let a learner test ride there bikes.. and i dont wanna jump in and buy anything without first riding the - Vtr , cbr , gw250 and ninja (is growing on me).. so many choices eh and dont really know whats the best way to go about it..

ZondaX15
12th May 2013, 11:49
Hey man thanks for your advice,

I guess im gonna spend the next few weekends test riding eh. but whats even the best way to do this ..? are bike shops usually pretty ok about it ? ( dont necessarily want to buy from a bike shop if i can find better value elsewhere though peice of mind is alittle better.... ) but i cant imagine private sales peeps are too willing to let a learner test ride there bikes.. and i dont wanna jump in and buy anything without first riding the - Vtr , cbr , gw250 and ninja (is growing on me).. so many choices eh and dont really know whats the best way to go about it..

No problem buddy.

Bike shops are usually OK with it. They asked me if I was confident in traffic, and that's about it. Regarding private sales, it depends on the person. Generally, if you have the money in hand they will be more than happy for you to take it round the block.

I'd find a bunch of bikes I'd be interested in, and find the ones closest to you. Bring some money so they know you're interested.