PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the bike

Shade
11th January 2004, 20:50
Hey guys,

Just out of interest I thought I would ask what sorta stuff you guys use for cleaning your bike -

I've heard people talking about Pledge? Whats that, where do I get it? :)

Mainly for the rims/ anywhere else that gets a fair bit of muck / grease on it.

I bought a can of CRC Degreaser stuff, but am still interested what everyone else uses.

Any other cleaning tips for all over will be greatly appreciated. Would be nice to know decent ways to keep the bike nice 'n tidy.

Cheers

wkid_one
11th January 2004, 21:12
PLedge is furniture polish - any supermarket carries it. Many bike stores use this because of the silicon. Gr8 for visors too. Use more for a polish/rub down than actual clean - leaves the bike looking good. Just don't use on the tank if you plan on using a mag. tank bag in the foreseeable future.

Simple Green Degreaser is good
Motul Brake Cleaner is wicked on rims, brakes etc etc.....

Best bit of advice is watch your stand!!!

Water, Bucket, Cleaner and wash. Get a soft bristled non scratch brush as this is the best thing for all the nooks and crannies of a bike - esp wheels, engine, etc.

Wash it down - ride it around the block or idle to evaporate the excess water and then polish with Pledge - you're done

bluninja
11th January 2004, 21:13
Hey guys,

Just out of interest I thought I would ask what sorta stuff you guys use for cleaning your bike -

I've heard people talking about Pledge? Whats that, where do I get it? :)

Mainly for the rims/ anywhere else that gets a fair bit of muck / grease on it.

I bought a can of CRC Degreaser stuff, but am still interested what everyone else uses.

Any other cleaning tips for all over will be greatly appreciated. Would be nice to know decent ways to keep the bike nice 'n tidy.

Cheers
Errr....probbaly not the person to talk about cleaning bikes, but here goes.

For my rims I tend to use WD40 on a rag. Cleans off the chain lube and brake dust and leaves them with a protective film. Make sure you don't spray directly onto the rim as overspray onto the brake discs can affect your stopping power.

To get dried on bugs off the front of the bike (or helmet) I just put a dampened sheet of kitchen towel over the bugs and leave for 20 minutes. They then come off easy as anything.

Pledge is the household clean and shine spray. Works great on the front of the visor for making water drops come away, also helps keep the inside demisted if you haven't got a fog city or pro grip insert. It's also a quick way of bringing your bike plastics up clean and shiny without resorting to the bucket and sponge.

HTH

Kwaka-Kid
11th January 2004, 22:02
Ohh mate do it the westie way... tear the sleeve off that sweater ya bloody mother made yah last winter, open the petrol cap, dunk it in, and start rubbing the bike down... perfect... may leave white residue.. so then spray with hose and wipe down... all good.

:D -petrol does eat the laquer on the paint... just as a bonus.
(p.s incase you think i really do this shaede, i dont, im j/king)

Shade
12th January 2004, 06:38
Ohh mate do it the westie way... tear the sleeve off that sweater ya bloody mother made yah last winter, open the petrol cap, dunk it in, and start rubbing the bike down... perfect... may leave white residue.. so then spray with hose and wipe down... all good.

:D -petrol does eat the laquer on the paint... just as a bonus.
(p.s incase you think i really do this shaede, i dont, im j/king)

lol

Im sure you actually do ! Judging by all the dodgey things ive seen you do :D

Thanks alot for the input guys, off to the supermarket i go :)

Cheers

Coldkiwi
12th January 2004, 12:27
feck me, forget using the brush Wkid! All brushes are bad and shouldn't be used on any bike or vehicle you happen to care about. Used long term, even the soft bristles will leave streaks in the paint that will be visible in the sunlight (shows up as round halo's and looks particularly pants).
Use a sponge ($2 from the warehouse) for the paintwork or an old sock (particularly good for getting into the many crannies on a bike) in combination with a decent wash and wax (armourall, turtlewax etc.. again dirt cheap from warehouse or Supercheap) cleaning solution in warm water.
For extra filthy and hard to get at places, I occasionaly resort to an old toothbrush and some kerosene (metal only areas) and a rag. Pledge also works particularly well on removing stubborn bugs and tar (or errant chain lube flicked on the tail etc). Just spray it on, leave for a few seconds and then rub with a soft cloth.

wkid_one
12th January 2004, 13:10
feck me, forget using the brush Wkid! All brushes are bad and shouldn't be used on any bike or vehicle you happen to care about. Used long term, even the soft bristles will leave streaks in the paint that will be visible in the sunlight (shows up as round halo's and looks particularly pants).
Use a sponge ($2 from the warehouse) for the paintwork or an old sock (particularly good for getting into the many crannies on a bike) in combination with a decent wash and wax (armourall, turtlewax etc.. again dirt cheap from warehouse or Supercheap) cleaning solution in warm water.
For extra filthy and hard to get at places, I occasionaly resort to an old toothbrush and some kerosene (metal only areas) and a rag. Pledge also works particularly well on removing stubborn bugs and tar (or errant chain lube flicked on the tail etc). Just spray it on, leave for a few seconds and then rub with a soft cloth.
I said on the nooks and grannies on the engine etc - NOT paint work! It saves knuckles from being whacked when doing rims etc.

Degreaser is the best for the nooks and grannies with a soft bristled brush - I don't even wash the paint work of the bike with any detergent - just Pledge.

Shade
13th January 2004, 22:42
I said on the nooks and grannies on the engine etc - NOT paint work! It saves knuckles from being whacked when doing rims etc.

Degreaser is the best for the nooks and grannies with a soft bristled brush - I don't even wash the paint work of the bike with any detergent - just Pledge.

Sweet cheers dude -

Yeah I dont use Brushes of any kind on the paint work - mainly just use a clean rag and water to get dirt off, doesnt get too dirty eh.

Pledge rocks!! Ive currently got the normal pledge, not heavy duty. Is heavy duty better?

I got crc degreaser (the kind like simple green), works sweet on getting in the hard to reach places and scrubbing with a brush.

Thanks

Shade

Motoracer
14th January 2004, 07:48
Spectro bike wash or the elf shampoo (can be bought from Red Barron). It is so gental but very tough on greasy stains at the same time... just like that dish washing detergent advert.

They are the best stuff for any cleaning to be done around the bike. :niceone:

Coldkiwi
14th January 2004, 11:36
oops... got on my hobby horse to quickly! sorry.

i hadn't seen heavy duty pledge but the stock stuff seems to work pretty flippin well.

wkid_one
14th January 2004, 12:08
oops... got on my hobby horse to quickly! sorry.

What you and everyone else on this board (myself included) :stupid: