PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone Battlax T30 on a Kawasaki Z1000 (ZR1000B)

Hitcher
16th May 2013, 19:20
Today was a new tyre day. A slightly different new tyre day, as this latest set – Bridgestone Battlax T30s – were supplied courtesy of Eurotread, New Zealand’s Bridgestone tyre distributor.

The Battlax T30, according to Bridgestone’s web site, is a brand new model that replaces the Battlax 023. The T stands for touring, not to be confused with S for sport and R for race, under Bridgestone’s new naming convention.

I have never ridden the Battlax 023. I have previously ridden on the 020 and 021 models that preceded it and was so completely underwhelmed by those experiences (OEM on a Kawasaki ZRX1200R, Honda ST1300, Yamaha FJR1300 and Suzuki GSX1250FA) that I never purchased a replacement set nor felt any desire to consider any other Bridgestone tyres.

After today’s fitment of a 120/70 front and a 190/50 rear, there was still enough daylight around and near perfect riding conditions to warrant a wee burst somewhere. So that’s what happened.

Tonight’s excursion was down and back on the Wainuiomata Coast Road – one of my favourite stretches of sealed highway anywhere, particularly as the sun is setting in the west. It’s also a great ride to scrub in a set of tyres, particularly on the Wainuiomata Hill Road section with its reasonably quick although desperately awful series of off-camber corners.

A bit of filtering was needed on the motorway too – a good opportunity for the Cats-Eye Test. This involves assessing how well tyres clump over those reflectorised markers. The clumping was pretty good. Somewhere between ‘not too harsh’ and ‘moderately plush’. So far, so good. Motorway filtering was also a chance to get a general feel for the tyres.

They are a quick turning tyre, with the bike falling into the turn and rolling around the tyres’ curvature. That initially surprised me but I soon got the hang of it. In some corners they felt a bit over-steery at first but a bit of adjustment with the throttle hand soon had that sorted.

Then the Coast Road proper appeared. Nice and clean and dry with no traffic at all or wandering stock. A quick trip was had in both directions. Enough said.

The T30s’ ambitions are more sport focused than touring. Why do I say that? Because the way they roll into and bite in corners encouraged me to adjust my riding lines to accentuate that. I started taking the apexes a bit later than I would usually, letting the bike drop into the turn and then punching the gas on the exit. It was great fun.

So after almost 100km I think I’ve got the new tyres largely sorted, certainly in dry weather riding. This weekend may provide some opportunities to see how they behave in less optimum conditions. I’ll also start experimenting with tyre pressures and see where those end up. According to today’s fitment notes they rolled away with 34psi in the front and 38 in the rear. That’s about 2psi less at both ends than I normally run my tyres, but hey, let’s see what happens.

So far, so good.

**Please read post #9 in this thread for a significant status update**

Many thanks to Eurotread for their generosity. I’ll post further reports as my relationship with the T30s evolves.

Requisite photos follow:

AllanB
16th May 2013, 19:50
Be good to see how they compare to the Conti RA2's over their life.

(My arty eye is not inspired by the tread pattern - I know it is not there to please but it is not very horny looking, don't worry I'll get over it!)

Now you just need to find someone to send you a set of 'test' mufflers and that Kawa would be the horn!

KoroJ
16th May 2013, 19:53
Nothing like finding a good tyre Mr H!

I did try the 023's as the last set on 'The Red'. That was on the last GC and they felt great...until pushing the pace through tight stuff and the cassings seemed to start flexing when the got hot and under the weight of the ST. I was quite glad to see the last of them with the bike.

I didn't particularly light the 020's to start with but went back to them after experiencing problems with other tyres and didn't mind them then.

I can't see me trying these jobbies as I'm pretty happy with the Z8/Z6 combo I have at the moment.

riffer
16th May 2013, 20:15
Tyres on the Bandit look rather sad at present. How do you reckon they'd go on Mr Suzuki's finest?

Hitcher
16th May 2013, 21:05
Be good to see how they compare to the Conti RA2's over their life.

That bar is set pretty high. The RA2s that came off earlier today had covered 11,500km and I reckon there was still about 2,000km left on the rear. The front was set to last forever,

Hitcher
16th May 2013, 21:07
Tyres on the Bandit look rather sad at present. How do you reckon they'd go on Mr Suzuki's finest?

I was thinking exactly those thoughts whilst scooting back up the canyon from the coast this evening. The GSX1250FA was particularly adept and sorting out any deficiencies in front tyres and eating rears that it thought were a bit blousy.

JayRacer37
17th May 2013, 08:55

I was thinking exactly those thoughts whilst scooting back up the canyon from the coast this evening. The GSX1250FA was particularly adept and sorting out any deficiencies in front tyres and eating rears that it thought were a bit blousy.

In the Bandit's 180/55 rear size, if you need something to last a little longer there is the 'GT' spec tyre also as a more hard-wearing option.

Hitcher, I would try the pressures you are more used to - that front pressure in particular seems a little low compared to what I have heard being preferred on these tyres.

Cheers,

Jay

ceebie13
17th May 2013, 11:32
I reckon a wee fang up to Taupo will but them through the mill. :-)

Hitcher
17th May 2013, 14:49
Whoa! Let's back that truck up, to coin a tired cliche.

The Battlax T30s don't handle anything like I posted in the first post in this thread.

"?" I hear you say.

Some of you may know that I'm a bit anal when it comes to checking tyre pressures. Every time the cover comes off the bike and it's going somewhere, out comes the gauge and the Michelin double-piston foot pump.

This morning I checked the tyre pressures. No main stand, so the bike has to go for a valve-hunting roll. First valve, the rear. 38psi. OK, I'll leave that as is. Second valve, the front. 41psi. You've got to be shitting me. Check again, 41psi. Thank you, tyre installer, but that's a wee bit more than the 34psi your workshop fitment notes suggested should be in there.

Psssst. 35psi. Close enough. Let's go riding.

Bugger me, what a difference.

Gone is the sharp fall-into-a-corner steering from yesterday. Gone is the over-steering. Gone is the feeling of the bike rolling around the curvature of the tyres. Gone is the sensation of traction difference between the front and the rear tyre.

Instead there's now a lovely positive neutrality with the tyres working seamlessly as a pair. Now there's point-and-shoot cornering accuracy. Now there is ruthless confidence braking hard through a corner.

I've just returned from a Wairarapa excursion with the fantabulous Mrs H accompanying me on her Bandit. The Hill was in pristine condition and we had it dry both ways.

I had the Hill largely to myself on the way home. The grip from these T30s is immense. I'll say no more.

In summary, thanks to more reasonable tyre pressures, I'm now considerably more enamoured of these new Bridgestones than I was at close of play yesterday.

Like all tyres I ride, I will be really interested to see what the longevity is for a Battlax T30.

JayRacer37
17th May 2013, 16:18

Wow, that is a LONG way different to what they said was in it! A bit concerning, a good thing you didn't just take their word for it!

Crasherfromwayback
17th May 2013, 16:31
Second valve, the front. 41psi. You've got to be shitting me. Check again, 41psi. Thank you, tyre installer, but that's a wee bit more than the 34psi your workshop fitment notes suggested should be in there.

Wow, that is a LONG way different to what they said was in it! A bit concerning, a good thing you didn't just take their word for it!

Hell yes. Make sure you let them know...else I will!

:-)

AllanB
19th May 2013, 22:08
I have made it a rule to check pressures after fitting - car and bike. They are often significantly different to what they should be. Figure maybe it it a first reading after pumping all that pressure in to seat the tyre on the rim or the workshops gauge is out from bing dropped too often!

JayRacer37
27th May 2013, 15:41
Nothing like finding a good tyre Mr H!

I did try the 023's as the last set on 'The Red'. That was on the last GC and they felt great...until pushing the pace through tight stuff and the cassings seemed to start flexing when the got hot and under the weight of the ST. I was quite glad to see the last of them with the bike.

I didn't particularly light the 020's to start with but went back to them after experiencing problems with other tyres and didn't mind them then.

I can't see me trying these jobbies as I'm pretty happy with the Z8/Z6 combo I have at the moment.

Hi Koro,

The T30 is a little more capable at the sporting end of the spectrum than the BT023 so likely would perform more how you would have liked - I can't compare to the Metzeler's you have but I certainly feel these would be a step over the BT023 for your use.

Also, we have just landed a T30-'GT' version in the sizes for the ST1300 (120/70-18 front and a 170/60-17 rear) so have an option for a little longer life, and better heat dispersal for the ST now, which we did not in the BT023.

Jay

KoroJ
27th May 2013, 18:57
Hi Koro,

The T30 is a little more capable at the sporting end of the spectrum than the BT023 so likely would perform more how you would have liked - I can't compare to the Metzeler's you have but I certainly feel these would be a step over the BT023 for your use.

Also, we have just landed a T30-'GT' version in the sizes for the ST1300 (120/70-18 front and a 170/60-17 rear) so have an option for a little longer life, and better heat dispersal for the ST now, which we did not in the BT023.

Jay

Thanks for that. The Metzlers are feeling great, but being about as anal as Mr H on checking my tyre pressures, I'm noticing the Z8 on the rear is starting to square off. This is probably partly due to lots of SH1 type riding and it has done 8,000Km, but a T30-GT might have to be a serious consideration for the next change as I'm not keen to try the Pilot Road 3's or Conti Road Attack GT's and there's no other options I'm keen to try.

Tarded
28th May 2013, 20:39

Yup, no body has as vested an interest as us in if our arse hits tarmac. Check check check.
That is a long way out though, sounds like no final check, just pumped up to seat as you suggested.

Cheers for the review too, good to hear real world use, not sales brochures.

russd7
7th June 2013, 20:42
cheers for the review, might have to try these on the zzr next change, have personally always like brdgestone with the 020,021 and currently the 023, have tried other brands but never really felt at ease, im happy to accept 8 or 9000 kms out of a rear that im comfortable with

Owl
15th June 2013, 09:34
Wainuiomata Coast Road

Didn't know about that road and must try it out, so thank you.:niceone:

Second valve, the front. 41psi.

So glad I fit my own tyres.:yes:

pritch
20th June 2013, 13:56
I have made it a rule to check pressures after fitting - car and bike.

Most wise. Some variation may be attributable to different gauges, but one tyre over and one under can't be explained away like that.

In the past I have received my car back with highly over inflated tyres. I suspect that this was done to accentuate the "improvement" the new tyres and wheel alignment had made. Certainly the steering was light. So light I checked the pressures...

Hitcher
12th July 2013, 10:08
Despite Mother Nature's best efforts to keep bikers tucked up indoors, there have been some opportunities for riding so far this winter. The T30s have now travelled about 2,000km.

Weekend before last ago they went to Toepaw. Mrs H had a birthday that weekend and also long-lost friends have returned from Pomgolia. It was great to head away and take in some country.

Straight up the guts we went on our way there. The climate on the Desert Road was a bit bleak, with snow to the edges of the road and the odd fleck floating around amongst the drizzle. But once we had crested the summit, out came the sun and we had a magic run to the top of the lake.

Our homewards return was down SH5 to Napier, around the coast to Clive then Havelock North, Middle Road to Patangata then Waipawa. Just before the Waipukurau golf course we cut left and skirted around the base of the hills to Takapau. What a lovely road. And then another favourite through Ormondville. We took our usual direct route turning left at Oringi and re-emerging on SH2 just north of Mangatainoka.

A great mix of roads -- wet, dry and freezing -- with a good variety of surfaces and corners.

So far the T30s are behaving well and are hard to fault.

A hair-line crack has appeared, more or less down the centre of the tread. I am presuming that that has something to do with how the tyre is formed in the mould. I've never seen anything like that before on any of the many sets of tyres I've worn out. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Zapf
12th July 2013, 10:33
A hair-line crack has appeared, more or less down the centre of the tread.

Is this on the front or Rear? I have read about internet post re cracks in tires and suggestions that the tire was exposed to sub zero temperatures as the cause?

Hitcher
14th July 2013, 16:45
Is this on the front or Rear? I have read about internet post re cracks in tires and suggestions that the tire was exposed to sub zero temperatures as the cause?

It's in the rear. Temperatures were cold but I suspect that any sub-zeroness would be more likely due to an overnight frost in Taupo than anything to do with the Desert Road.

JayRacer37
15th July 2013, 15:31
So far the T30s are behaving well and are hard to fault.

A hair-line crack has appeared, more or less down the centre of the tread. I am presuming that that has something to do with how the tyre is formed in the mould. I've never seen anything like that before on any of the many sets of tyres I've worn out. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Glad they are working well for you Hitcher. The slight groove just off centre in the rear tyre in particular (although it is often visible in the front also) is a normal mark for Bridgestones radials. You are bang on, it comes (from what I understand from them) from where the mould clamps together over the top of the tyre - it is essentially a different curing in that one very small strip and never progresses more than about 0.5mm deeper than the tread area around it.

Under inflated tyres (particularly older styled ones, or race/supersport models with a rubber designed exclusively for high temperature use) ridden in very cold temperatures can cause cracking around the edges of the tread block when the rubber is brittle and being forced to flex more than it is capable of. The below is taken from Bridgestone's site;

"Care and Use at Low Temperatures:

High performance motorcycle tires may crack in the tread area from impact or deformation at low ambient temperatures. Handle and store the tires with care. Always ride carefully until the tires are warmed up, particularly in low ambient temperature conditions."

AllanB
30th July 2013, 21:02
So how are they compared to the Road Attack 2? I find the Contis most excellent for a bit of a naughty fang - stick very well. The rear is disappearing each time I ride it (I swear it!) so keeping an eye out for a replacement and I can get the T30's at a good price........

Hitcher
30th July 2013, 21:30
So how are they compared to the Road Attack 2? I find the Contis most excellent for a bit of a naughty fang - stick very well. The rear is disappearing each time I ride it (I swear it!) so keeping an eye out for a replacement and I can get the T30's at a good price........

Price will be the key. Conti Road Attack 2s are great value for money. In terms of performance and handling, the T30 is in my experience comparable to the RA2s. Time will tell how well the T30s wear. The Conti's durability was very good.

AllanB
31st July 2013, 19:55
Price will be the key. Conti Road Attack 2s are great value for money. In terms of performance and handling, the T30 is in my experience comparable to the RA2s. Time will tell how well the T30s wear. The Conti's durability was very good.

Cheers, if they stick and handle the same as the Contis I reckon I'll throw on some T30's as I can score them el cheapo! More money for rego.......

AllanB
10th August 2013, 20:13
Picked up a set of T30's this morning, now I am waiting on my rear conti to die. Avon City Suzuki in CHCH have them on special in 120 and 180's for only $399. To good a price to pass!

Hitcher
11th August 2013, 16:22
Picked up a set of T30's this morning, now I am waiting on my rear conti to die. Avon City Suzuki in CHCH have them on special in 120 and 180's for only $399. To good a price to pass!

$400 for a set? That's value, presuming a 190 isn't much more expensive than a 180.

AllanB
11th August 2013, 16:34
Yeah they are doing a bulk buy and passing on huge savings to their customers! Made me happy!

nzspokes
11th August 2013, 16:37
Yeah they are doing a bulk buy and passing on huge savings to their customers! Made me happy!

Thats a great price. I will look at a set after I go through my PR3s. But in saying that guys are getting 20k out of 2s up here so it may be while.

AllanB
11th August 2013, 16:46
Thats a great price. I will look at a set after I go through my PR3s. But in saying that guys are getting 20k out of 2s up here so it may be while.

Yeah - I got 11,000 out of my PR2's on the Hornet. Best tyre life I have had on it yet. Stuffed if I can see how they get 20k but you do have smooth roads in the North Island. Southern roads are like riding on 60 grit sandpaper.

george formby
11th August 2013, 16:48

20k? Check the diameter of their wrists & compare with your own before reaching a conclusion.

Comparing BT 021's, I can fail a warrant on the rear in 6k & a front in less than 8k. Other riders on the same bike in the UK can double that easily, more for the front. I'm not a hero by any stretch of the imagination but road surface, riding style, roads traveled & level of enthusiasm makes a massive difference in tire wear.
Rear Conti lasted about 8k, same as BT 021 front. The Conti did not have the same all round ability, though.

nzspokes
11th August 2013, 16:51
20k? Check the diameter of their wrists & compare with your own before reaching a conclusion.

Comparing BT 021's, I can fail a warrant on the rear in 6k & a front in less than 8k. Other riders on the same bike in the UK can double that easily, more for the front. I'm not a hero by any stretch of the imagination but road surface, riding style, roads traveled & level of enthusiasm makes a massive difference in tire wear.
Rear Conti lasted about 8k, same as BT 021 front. The Conti did not have the same all round ability, though.

I guess I will know in 19k or so. :yes:

Owl
11th August 2013, 16:56

Thank you for the "heads up". I purchased some S20's off them not too long ago for a good price. May just check out these T30's.:niceone:

george formby
11th August 2013, 18:07
I guess I will know in 19k or so. :yes:

Fingers crossed for ya. That's a lot of k's from a tire. You should move oop north.

Hitcher
13th October 2013, 16:36
Based on (considerable) previous experience, the 6,000km mark is about the halfway point of a sports touring tyre's life.

The T30s currently being run have just ticked over 6,000km, so I thought I'd add some photos to help explain how they're doing. Apologies for the horizontal aspect. Rotating pictures in this CMS is a mystery to me:

1: Rear, showing little squaring off

2: Rear, showing some scrubbing to the sides and (gasp) chicken strips

3. Front, showing the off-the-shelf profile

4. Front, showing side wear pattern

That's very acceptable wear performance so far. Another couple of thousand km should demonstrate more clearly how the T30s go when wear sets in.

Handling wise, I don't have much more to add to what I've written previously. These are a tyre with no troubling bad habits. I'm continuing to score them on a par with (perhaps slightly ahead of) the Conti Road Attack 2.

The last half of their life will determine their final score!

george formby
13th October 2013, 16:45
Very acceptable indeed. It might be a Northland Regional Council thing but my tires never look that "smooth". They get chewed & cut to bits.

russd7
13th October 2013, 17:45
just put a T30 on the rear of the zzr, so far i love it (only done about 300km so far tho), interesting your comment about chicken strip, i seem to be able to corner faster without as much lean, but like i say, i have only done 300km on it so far.

insomnia01
6th November 2013, 10:00
what tyre pressure are you running? I'm wondering what I should be puttung in mine ( Honda Blackbird ) normally 42psi Fr & Rr on Avon Storms but have had T30's for past few months

JayRacer37
6th November 2013, 11:03
what tyre pressure are you running? I'm wondering what I should be puttung in mine ( Honda Blackbird ) normally 42psi Fr & Rr on Avon Storms but have had T30's for past few months

That rear pressure is about right, but 42 in the front of the T30 will make it feel very harsh and not be optional. I would be recommending between 36-38 but would be very interested in the pressures Hitcher has settled on in his test.

Gremlin
6th November 2013, 12:20
42 F&R is also the factory recommended pressures...

insomnia01
6th November 2013, 14:22
That rear pressure is about right, but 42 in the front of the T30 will make it feel very harsh and not be optional. I would be recommending between 36-38 but would be very interested in the pressures Hitcher has settled on in his test.

Cheers for the info, got just the ride this weekend to check the pressures out :cool:

42 F&R is also the factory recommended pressures...

On the Avons 42psi felt good on both ends less than 40psi felt :shit: cheers Alan

AllanB
6th November 2013, 19:44
T30's on the Hornet 900 for the past 700kms or so. Very impressed.

36 front 38 rear. For my weight any more in the rear is too harsh.

Hitcher
7th January 2014, 08:18
The T30s have now completed 10,000km. 10,207km, to be precise.

The attached photos show they're wearing well. The rear has surprisingly little squaring for a sports touring tyre in its last days. I'm guessing there could be another 2,000km left.

That's not too shabby, considering some of my recent experiences with tyres.

Handling is still good too.

Depending on price comparisons, I may replace these with another set. That is a sentence I thought I'd never use, given my past experiences with Mr Bridgestone's previous "sports touring" offerings.

JayRacer37
7th January 2014, 16:05
The T30s have now completed 10,000km. 10,207km, to be precise.

The attached photos show they're wearing well. The rear has surprisingly little squaring for a sports touring tyre in its last days. I'm guessing there could be another 2,000km left.

That's not too shabby, considering some of my recent experiences with tyres.

Handling is still good too.

Depending on price comparisons, I may replace these with another set. That is a sentence I thought I'd never use, given my past experiences with Mr Bridgestone's previous "sports touring" offerings.

Yep, I am (very pleasantly) surprised to hear you say that too Hitcher. I'm glad they have stood up well and met your expectations!

Hitcher
21st January 2014, 09:52
11,500km and off they come. Many thanks to Eurotreads for these.

On Friday a new set of T30s replace them. With a $83 price difference on a set between those and my "other" choice of tyre, it's no contest.

Let it be known that this is the FIRST EVER time I have spent cash money on a set of Bridgestones, despite having ridden many thousands of kilometres atop them. Mr Bridgestone now knows how to make a sports touring tyre that I am happy to ride, which is more than can be said for the absolutely egregious 020s, 021s and 022s that preceded them.

JayRacer37
23rd January 2014, 12:17
11,500km and off they come. Many thanks to Eurotreads for these.

On Friday a new set of T30s replace them. With a $83 price difference on a set between those and my "other" choice of tyre, it's no contest.

Let it be known that this is the FIRST EVER time I have spent cash money on a set of Bridgestones, despite having ridden many thousands of kilometres atop them. Mr Bridgestone now knows how to make a sports touring tyre that I am happy to ride, which is more than can be said for the absolutely egregious 020s, 021s and 022s that preceded them.

That's really brilliant Hitcher, I'm chuffed. Thanks very much for your reports over this period.

kiwi cowboy
23rd January 2014, 17:22
That's really brilliant Hitcher, I'm chuffed. Thanks very much for your reports over this period.

They appear to pretty good at touring but I think jay racer should chuck a rear at a racer with a fzr and see how they go on track:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: :yes::corn::corn::corn::corn::corn:pmsl

haydes55
23rd January 2014, 18:04
This thread is perfect. My PR3s on my Z1000 have worn pretty quickly, I often ride long rides on warmer days where the tire gets quite warm, the PR3 has been chewed up so looking at sportier tires but still want some wet weather grip and longevity. T30s or conti road attacks are on the short list.

My PR3s have been on for about 6000km and the front won't pass a warrant and the rear is borderline.

I think a lot of that tire wear has to do with my suspension in serious need of some Dr. Taylor loving.

insomnia01
27th January 2014, 07:10
I've got similar miles out of my set & have a new set going on 24th Feb before heading down south isld & doing a week in northland :Punk: I found a $45 difference between my "Other " tyre & these :shutup:

haydes55
19th April 2014, 13:03
Just slapped a pair of T30's on my Z1000.... Great day for scrubbing in a new set of tyres.... Nooot.

Noted my milage and will see how I compare.

Also, before I read through the thread again. Tyre pressures, did you do some trial and error and find what you liked best? I'm thinking of starting at 36/38psi.

Owl
19th April 2014, 13:43
Just slapped a pair of T30's on my Z1000....

Interested to see how you get on.

While I've never had PR3's, my last PR2's lasted 13,000km front & rear. The T30 rear I've just replaced lasted 8600km and front is still going strong.

Hitcher
19th April 2014, 14:50
Tyre pressures, did you do some trial and error and find what you liked best? I'm thinking of starting at 36/38psi.

Call me misguided, but I reckon that tyre manufacturers probably spend a bit of time and probably money working out what pressures work best when their tyres are fitted to different makes and models of motorcycle. That has always been my starting point for every type of tyre I've ever fitted. Some times I end up running them a couple of psi harder at the rear. Other than when I owned an ST1300, I've never run a front tyre harder than 36psi.

Anyhoo, back to haydes' premise: 36/38 will be an OK place to start with a Z1000. I reckon you'll find that rear feels a bit more linear in most conditions when it's pumped to somewhere between 40 and 42. Any harder than that and you'll probably observe a multiplication effect with the already harsh stock rear suspension.

I know what the front feels like at 40 and 42, thanks to my workshop team misreading the pressure gauge. Too quick and skitterish, is the answer. 36psi is just perfect unless you want your Z to oversteer like fuck and be really jittery under braking.

GrayWolf
25th April 2014, 19:13
Well I have had a discusson with J at TSS (Andrew's son) and contrary to what you would expect, I have now got a T30 on the rear of the MT-01.
Counter intuitive? We have tried harder compound tyres, the last of which was a massive fail (see my review/note on the Shinko Verge 016 apex2)

Rational for this is, to see if the softer compound will absorb the 'pulsing' of a big V twin with a lot of torque that seems to be causing the harder rubber compounds to 'break up'.

Diablo's were destroyed by the MT, BT023's have given reasonable service, but I have never gotten close to the mileages Hitcher has achieved with the T30's on his kwaka. Seems NZ's 'spray n chip' road surfaces and big twins 'tires' dont mix too well. :crazy:

I've been using a T30 on the front with reasonable success, and thats been lasting on a ratio of 2+rear to 1 front.

george formby
28th September 2014, 14:29
Seems NZ's 'spray n chip' road surfaces and big twins 'tires' dont mix too well. :crazy:

My thought's, too.

I posted up in a recent T30 GT review thread that my rear (tire) chatters in bumpy corners. Checked the pressures & they are 36 / 38. I have had a twiddle with my shock settings, easy on my bike, soft or hard. So soft we are today. Off for a tootle shortly to see what difference it makes.
The tires are wearing well, not as much damage from the granite chip as previous BT's. No apparent damage from wheel spinning in gravel either.

haydes55
26th December 2014, 19:15
4500km update. T30's are wearing very evenly, about 10mm at the sides and 12mm in the center. Very obvious line where the compounds change soft to hard. Still loving them, way more grip than PR3's, wearing much better and just as good in the wet (for my speed wet riding anyway).

The images take ages to load, so cbf loading the image of the front tire. But looks more worn on the edges than the center, managed to get some rubber rolling off through coromandel yesterday into whangamata, even with the traffic.

I'll be replacing these with another set of the same, reckon I have another 3000km in them yet though.

mossy1200
26th December 2014, 19:31
Well I have had a discusson with J at TSS (Andrew's son) and contrary to what you would expect, I have now got a T30 on the rear of the MT-01.
Counter intuitive? We have tried harder compound tyres, the last of which was a massive fail (see my review/note on the Shinko Verge 016 apex2)

Rational for this is, to see if the softer compound will absorb the 'pulsing' of a big V twin with a lot of torque that seems to be causing the harder rubber compounds to 'break up'.

Diablo's were destroyed by the MT, BT023's have given reasonable service, but I have never gotten close to the mileages Hitcher has achieved with the T30's on his kwaka. Seems NZ's 'spray n chip' road surfaces and big twins 'tires' dont mix too well. :crazy:

I've been using a T30 on the front with reasonable success, and thats been lasting on a ratio of 2+rear to 1 front.

Had conti road attackIIs on mine. Real nice to ride on. 4tho km only though.

george formby
26th December 2014, 22:03
. Very obvious line where the compounds change soft to hard.

Concur. Big difference in compound, too. Me edges are scalloping but the middle looks like new. Thinking of playing with lower pressure in the rear to mitigate the stiff caracass & give my old, tired shock a breather.

haydes55
27th December 2014, 06:37
Concur. Big difference in compound, too. Me edges are scalloping but the middle looks like new. Thinking of playing with lower pressure in the rear to mitigate the stiff caracass & give my old, tired shock a breather.

I've been running the rear at 40 psi. I would go lower, but it's never lacked grip, and I adjusted the crap out of my rebound on the rear shock (rebound was way too fast/hard), so no issue with the shock lacking comfort.

If the sides wear out faster than the center, that's no worry. At least the center didn't wear out before the sides. The center has never lacked grip, wet or spirited dry riding, so for my riding, I don't need a sport tire, nor could I sacrifice a couple thousand K's of tire life.

BlackSheepLogic
27th December 2014, 08:59
I've been running the rear at 40 psi. I would go lower, but it's never lacked grip, and I adjusted the crap out of my rebound on the rear shock (rebound was way too fast/hard), so no issue with the shock lacking comfort.

I'm running 42 psi at the moment and very happy with the T30's. Done a little over 3,000K.

mossy1200
27th December 2014, 10:10
Every ones gunna be mossy hating now.

I ordered a s20evo rear.

I don't do that many kms per year so I rather they were worn out and replaced than got old.