PDA

View Full Version : Horticultural riders

dangerous
19th May 2013, 08:07
No, its not a slag the Guzzi farm tractor thread
Green fingers... see the photos attached, whats my lawns problem? Im thinking Grass Grub maybe, if so whats the fix? an acre of lawns a lot to loose and re sow282945 282946 282947

Virago
19th May 2013, 10:11
Looks like grass grub to me.

DDT works wonders - if you can get some.

dangerous
19th May 2013, 10:30
Looks like grass grub to me.

DDT works wonders - if you can get some.
Whats DDT? and If I treat the lawn with something do I only need to do the brown areas or are they like bora and once ya see the damage the grub are well gone and I need to treat the good green areas?

Virago
19th May 2013, 10:59
http://kiwicare.co.nz/garden/products/product-list/lawngard-prills/

mashman
19th May 2013, 11:27
Looks like a scorch marked crop circle. Time to invest in a laser.

NinjaNanna
19th May 2013, 11:47
if that's grass grub - I've heard a light sprinkling of laundry powder kills them.

carbonhed
19th May 2013, 11:58
Hard to tell from the photos but grass grub, porina caterpillar or dry patch could all be suspects. Take a spade and dig out a square turf about 100mm deep you may find grass grubs, 25mm yellowy brown beetle larvae C shaped. Some soil types once they get really dry actively resist rewetting in which case the soil could still be bone dry... that'll fix itself over the winter. Porina is a caterpillar that leaves something resembling worm casts on the surface except they're much coarser and have like a spiders web threads running through the cast itself. Diazinon granules as mentioned above will treat the Porina and grass grub.

There's other potential culprits too but that'll get you started. You may have to oversow with some fresh grass seed while there's still some warmth in the ground.

Hitcher
19th May 2013, 13:56
Laundry powder is excellent, but remember to wash it in with water. "How does that work, Hitcher?" I hear you ask.

It's the detergent base. You could do the same thing by mixing up buckets of dishwashing liquid and heaving that around. Insect caterpillars (and worms too for that matter) breathe through their skins in an osmotic-like manner. A coating of detergent prevents that from happening and the buggers suffocate. They generally crawl to the surface looking for air, and either get picked off by birds or just get wizzened by the sun.

Remember that this will kill worms (as will more toxic agents like DDT or organophospates), so I wouldn't advise using it over very large areas. However it will be ideal for patches about the size indicated in the photos above.

RideLife
19th May 2013, 14:08
Possibly 'Red Thread' disease as well.
Signs of Red flecks, grass is dieing, not eaten off.

Asher
19th May 2013, 15:01
I wouldnt recommend using DDT, there is a very good reason why it is now banned in almost all developed countries.
I have never heard of using laundry powder to get rid of grass grub but i do know it will be full of phosphates to get the grass growing.
Its something you will want to get done soon before the soil temp drops and the grass stops growing.

Akzle
19th May 2013, 15:23
why the fuck would you want an acre of lawn?

burn it all, then crop up...

dangerous
19th May 2013, 15:32
Hard to tell from the photos but grass grub, porina caterpillar or dry patch could all be suspects. Take a spade and dig out a square turf about 100mm deep you may find grass grubs, 25mm yellowy brown beetle larvae C shaped. Some soil types once they get really dry actively resist rewetting in which case the soil could still be bone dry... that'll fix itself over the winter. Porina is a caterpillar that leaves something resembling worm casts on the surface except they're much coarser and have like a spiders web threads running through the cast itself. Diazinon granules as mentioned above will treat the Porina and grass grub.

There's other potential culprits too but that'll get you started. You may have to oversow with some fresh grass seed while there's still some warmth in the ground.
very helpfull ta

http://kiwicare.co.nz/garden/products/product-list/lawngard-prills/

yip ta... $66 later and its spread

I wouldnt recommend using DDTopps... to late

why the fuck would you want an acre of lawn?

burn it all, then crop up...to keep further distance from the likes of you

As for the rest of ya's cheers for the info, piss's me off all the hard work that has gone into the lawns from a lewcern paddock and to have it dieing in front of me. The acre behind the house seems ok but its quite long, does that help if I dont mowe?

mashman
19th May 2013, 16:40
As for the rest of ya's cheers for the info, piss's me off all the hard work that has gone into the lawns from a lewcern paddock and to have it dieing in front of me. The acre behind the house seems ok but its quite long, does that help if I dont mowe?

Happens to us in the burbs every winter. It decimates the piddly lawns we have. The fulla across the road gets some stuff from Bunning and it seems to do the trick, although he reckon it needs to go in before the season kicks in.

Oakie
19th May 2013, 18:00
Laundry powder is excellent, but remember to wash it in with water. "How does that work, Hitcher?" I hear you ask.

It's the detergent base. You could do the same thing by mixing up buckets of dishwashing liquid and heaving that around. Insect caterpillars (and worms too for that matter) breathe through their skins in an osmotic-like manner. A coating of detergent prevents that from happening and the buggers suffocate.

Good for spraying on aphids too! Or dishwashing liquid.

Grumph
19th May 2013, 20:21
For what it's worth D, the late Eddie Ridgen who'd farmed just up the road all his life, reckoned most of Greendale was too heavily contaminated by the DDT used to eradicate grass grub in the 70's and 80's to ever be used for dairying...

Unless when you dig you find fresh grubs I'd think it could be fungal.

And for the warm northerners, I'm just up the road and it's already too cold to resow - several frosts already.

dangerous
20th May 2013, 06:27
For what it's worth D, the late Eddie Ridgen who'd farmed just up the road all his life, reckoned most of Greendale was too heavily contaminated by the DDT used to eradicate grass grub in the 70's and 80's to ever be used for dairying...

Unless when you dig you find fresh grubs I'd think it could be fungal.

Brought the paddock of Eddies brother, been to his house recently his wife often has local BBQ's thats when the penny droped and I relised it was Eddie who held the black stump rally.
Will do a wee dig up after work today, and I must google this DDT shit.

Akzle
20th May 2013, 07:10
sommatsommat di ethyl tryptamine.
Or agent orange.
Dont fuck with it.

You probably need to be a reg chemical applicator with approved handler certificate to buy.

Still. Dont get having land that all yov do is pay to mow.

scissorhands
20th May 2013, 09:36
See your neighbour farmer, he should give you something, last thing he wants are soil pests to move over on to his property

Asher
20th May 2013, 10:04
DDT isn't too bad but when to breaks down to DDD and further to DDE that's when it starts doing very bad stuff to the environment.

carbonhed
20th May 2013, 18:06
DDT's been banned for decades. Diazinon's an organophosphate and probably not going to be available for much longer either.

Oakie
20th May 2013, 19:32
I remember it being spread all over the playground when was at Oamaru South School in about 1970 I guess. We were told not to go on the grass or we might die. Fun times! I don't think they've used DDT on school grounds for many years.

RideLife
20th May 2013, 21:48
very helpfull ta

yip ta... $66 later and its spread

Will do a wee dig up after work today,

Did you find any grubs? Is there any sign of the dirt mounds caused by Porina?
It won't help no matter how much insecticide you put on if it is 'red thread' disease.

Red thread is a common disease in new lawn when the growth is young and easily stressed. (It is quite noticeable in your pic). it can be spread to other area on a lawn mower, or even by someone's shoes. It needs to be sprayed with fungicide. Taratek F5 is a good commercial one, but small bottles of it called 'Greenguard' can be purchased at most garden centres.

dangerous
21st May 2013, 06:25
Did you find any grubs? Is there any sign of the dirt mounds caused by Porina?
It won't help no matter how much insecticide you put on if it is 'red thread' disease.

Red thread is a common disease in new lawn when the growth is young and easily stressed. (It is quite noticeable in your pic). it can be spread to other area on a lawn mower, or even by someone's shoes. It needs to be sprayed with fungicide. Taratek F5 is a good commercial one, but small bottles of it called 'Greenguard' can be purchased at most garden centres.havent had a chance to dig yet, dark when I leave and dark when I get home, will try tonight.

See your neighbour farmer, he should give you something, last thing he wants are soil pests to move over on to his propertyHave done, and he said he had noticed it, he is going to ask his spraying guy, hes a bit slack tho so could take a while... its all crops round this area so if hes concerned hell get back to me.

george formby
21st May 2013, 10:26
Good for spraying on aphids too! Or dishwashing liquid.

+1 I whack all my nasties with a mixture of laundry powder & white vinegar.

I use laundry powder, salt & diesel for weed killer. (Bamboo, ginga, wandering dew etc).

dangerous
21st May 2013, 18:49
Take a spade and dig out a square turf about 100mm deep you may find grass grubs, 25mm yellowy brown beetle larvae C shaped.
done and found these ugley wee buggers, each spade had 2 grubs I asume? and lots a worms.

283073 283074

NinjaNanna
21st May 2013, 21:01
sadly it sounds as though to kill the grubs you'll also kill the worms

carbonhed
21st May 2013, 21:14
done and found these ugley wee buggers, each spade had 2 grubs I asume? and lots a worms.

Grass grub.

Akzle
22nd May 2013, 04:05
sure they not cicada larvae?

_Shrek_
22nd May 2013, 08:53
the red in the grass may be lack of water D that's if you haven't found any grass grub

& if it's grub use hitchers method less damage to soil

dangerous
22nd May 2013, 18:25
the red in the grass may be lack of water D that's if you haven't found any grass grub

& if it's grub use hitchers method less damage to soil

LOL... aint no shortage of water, havent seen the sun for over a week... Laundry powder huh... ok, cheapest brand then?

_Shrek_
22nd May 2013, 18:35

It's the detergent base. You could do the same thing by mixing up buckets of dishwashing liquid and heaving that around. Insect caterpillars (and worms too for that matter) breathe through their skins in an osmotic-like manner. A coating of detergent prevents that from happening and the buggers suffocate. They generally crawl to the surface looking for air, and either get picked off by birds or just get wizzened by the sun.

Remember that this will kill worms (as will more toxic agents like DDT or organophospates), so I wouldn't advise using it over very large areas. However it will be ideal for patches about the size indicated in the photos above.

LOL... aint no shortage of water, havent seen the sun for over a week... Laundry powder huh... ok, cheapest brand then?

looking at the pic it looks like lack of water as it's on a slight rise, & you're on sandy loam which would drain fast, I get that look on one of our clients sections if I don't water a lot more than other parts & it browns off with the red tinge to it some times

check out hitchers post above on how to apply

dangerous
22nd May 2013, 18:43
& you're on sandy loam which would drain fastShit no K, a foot of A1 soil then a foot of clay and then it might start getting stony... best land around hence the lack of sheep/cow in the area, its crop land

dangerous
27th May 2013, 18:18
OK.... my green fingered riding friends...

WTF is this, its in the back half of lawn which dont get cut much... is purple to the eye and in our 2.5 acre's there is bout 4 smallish patchs like this, seems to be some kinda groth or cocoon shit living on the grass. 283305 ok Ill zoom in for you blind cu...

283306 283307 283308 283309

Akzle
27th May 2013, 18:35
you're worrying about the wrong grass man. If you cant smoke it.
F*ck it.

dangerous
27th May 2013, 18:47
you're worrying about the wrong grass man. If you cant smoke it.
F*ck it.
You f*ck what ya want leave me out a it... and if ya need to smoke that shit to enjoy life... poor you...

RideLife
27th May 2013, 19:21
Cool! Never seen That before.
Send us a Sample??

Akzle
27th May 2013, 19:23
You f*ck what ya want leave me out a it... and if ya need to smoke that shit to enjoy life... poor you...

i enjoy life most days. Smoke 'that shit' when i have it. Havent had it for at least a week.
Biggotry and prejudice, damn. Poor you.

unstuck
28th May 2013, 06:47
Alien jism, they are cumming for you.:devil2:

unstuck
28th May 2013, 06:50
seriously now........Fungus, maybe to much nitrogen, fungus loves nitrogen. I would be looking at your soil balance.:niceone:

carbonhed
28th May 2013, 07:28
Slime mould... Physarum cinereum.

Unimportant. Stop peering at your lawn you'll become a batshit obsessive :msn-wink:.

dangerous
28th May 2013, 18:08
Slime mould... Physarum cinereum.
Unimportant. Stop peering at your lawn you'll become a batshit obsessive :msn-wink:.

Just trying to learn shit man, cant hurt can it? finding country life interesting, as are my two boys, got a hoon in a new 500k harvester the other day they did, running a 500hp scania... im thinking the purple head is actually insects... either way hit em with round up so stay tuned

far queue
28th May 2013, 18:22
...WTF is this, its in the back half of lawn which dont get cut much... is purple to the eye and in our 2.5 acre's there is bout 4 smallish patchs like this, seems to be some kinda groth or cocoon shit living on the grass.I've got, well had, patches of that on my back lawn too. I never really noticed it until I ran the 1st patch over with the mower last weekend and a big black smudge was left behind ... "hmm I wonder what that shit is? ... meh ... carry on" and then "ooh there's another one ... meh" that happened about 4 times. My conclusion? You worry too much, go and move that tag 'cos I'm buggered if I know where it is.

dangerous
28th May 2013, 20:00
and move that tag 'cos I'm buggered if I know where it is.I aint going nowhere in this shit man, but I do know the aproxmidaty of it... think 1936 GP and more recently run on a similer circut of shingle in 83 and 93 just the other side of the bridge

kiwi cowboy
28th May 2013, 20:17
Shit no K, a foot of A1 soil then a foot of clay and then it might start getting stony... best land around hence the lack of sheep/cow in the area, its crop land

Hey MR D if ya soil has got a good depth of moisture another option could be if you could get a farmer with a heavy roller in there is roll the lawn when the lawn is soft enough to compact which will just squash the little fuckers so no need to spray with chemicals.

dangerous
28th May 2013, 21:09
Hey MR D if ya soil has got a good depth of moisture another option could be if you could get a farmer with a heavy roller in there is roll the lawn when the lawn is soft enough to compact which will just squash the little fuckers so no need to spray with chemicals.
really... just seen the cocky rolling beside the road where his trucks ripped it up, so serious bout the squashing?

ps: you racing CAMs meet at Levels on the 22nd?

kiwi cowboy
28th May 2013, 21:25
really... just seen the cocky rolling beside the road where his trucks ripped it up, so serious bout the squashing?

ps: you racing CAMs meet at Levels on the 22nd?

Yes seriously it does work if soil is soft but it needs to be a HEAVY roller "ie" 8-10 or more type not the ribbed Cambridge type they use behind drills.
Your best to do it a couple of times close together if possible to start with then doesn't hurt to do it every year or more if the cockey is goin past.

I used to do a lot of this when I was in Canterbury and oxford and seems to work pretty good.

Have a yarn to the cockey he should know about it.

Not sure on the 22nd getting pretty busy now with feedout and the boss would be bloody nervous incase I come off cos he heads overseas shortly after that so needs me to be manager while away.

carbonhed
28th May 2013, 21:48
Just trying to learn shit man, cant hurt can it? finding country life interesting, as are my two boys, got a hoon in a new 500k harvester the other day they did, running a 500hp scania... im thinking the purple head is actually insects... either way hit em with round up so stay tuned

Roundup? For insects and slime mould??????????

Step away from the sprayer before you destroy what lawn you've already got.

dangerous
29th May 2013, 06:36
Roundup? For insects and slime mould??????????

Step away from the sprayer before you destroy what lawn you've already got.
OK................... Ill do it Burt style then :2thumbsup

fuknK1W1
1st June 2013, 17:30
For what it's worth D, the late Eddie Ridgen who'd farmed just up the road all his life,

RIP Masport...isn't approaching the anniversary of his death.
I like to visit is grave when I'm back in the the area.

As for your problem dangerous is that a rye grass lawn?
These things come and go sprinkling some fresh seed could help.
You could talk to the greenkeepers at the golf courses nearby.

dangerous
1st June 2013, 17:47
RIP Masport...isn't approaching the anniversary of his death.
I like to visit is grave when I'm back in the the area.

Ahhh Masport is/was Eddie? heard the name never relised it was the same guy, Im on his brothers land and have been to his house a couple a times as his missus puts on BBQ's for the locals... actually you might know, last weekend was the 'edge run' bunch a older buggeres that ride the port hills every year in commemeration of a well liked biker that died... who was that?

fuknK1W1
1st June 2013, 17:57
Brian Edgington...RIP Edge
You can see it on Farcebook look for Garner's Motorcycle tours