PDA

View Full Version : How to waste a couple of hours

Mom
19th May 2013, 18:47
Windows 8. OMFG! WTF? FFS!

I may have to apply for my official old fart card.

Far Canal!

That is all...

nzmikey
19th May 2013, 18:50

There's ya problem right there .... I have a copy of 7 if ya want it :cool: Deep 6 Windows 8 ... it is shite

tri boy
19th May 2013, 19:09
Wasted a couple of hours today looking for the meat clever.
Was my dads, and does everything from lopping chooks heads, to cutting kindling wood.
(still can;t find it..............

Big Dave
19th May 2013, 19:23
Haven't used the OS but I really like co-pilot's Windows 8 phone. Tres funky.

Mom
19th May 2013, 19:26
There's ya problem right there .... I have a copy of 7 if ya want it :cool: Deep 6 Windows 8 ... it is shite

A dear and wonderful friend (69) bought a new laptop and rang to ask me if I could put some games on it. Of course! But there are a couple of hours of my life I am never going to get back right there, as a result.

WTF is that shit? But nothing works "normally" whatever that is now.

Honestly, it about did my friggen head in. He now has games, solitaire and the like. I also downloaded a windows 8 tutorial for him. What a joke!

I need some serious advice on how to keep my old fashioned operating system working, for I am not sure I ever want to learn 8.

:puke:

Swoop
19th May 2013, 19:40
Partner has Windoze 8 on her new laptop. Took her about 2 1/2 weeks to get used to it.

I hate it. Work is supplying a new laptop soon and I dread it having this OS.

bluninja
19th May 2013, 19:48
Windows 8 is an acquired taste. You can install Classic Menu (free) or any number of cheap apps to make it behave like Windows 7. Windows 8 is due an update (Windows 8 Blue) where it is rumoured the start button and default desktop will return.

I am writing this on my new hybrid tablety thingy running Windows 8. Worst thing for me is Internet Explorer 10...you can't downgrade and operating from a touch screen is arse.... 2 gestures to go back a page. Put Google Chrome in and much better.

You also have to trust Windows 8 to close applications at the right time....or you can go into desktop and close the stuff you've finished with from task manager.

Speech recognition is good, but you have to launch the apps from the desktop taskbar or it won't work (windows quality software huh?).

Installing apps from the app store is a doddle and rearranging the tiles is easy....just like using my Windows phone. When you become a silver surfer you'll have time to learn all this new stuff :)

Big Dave
19th May 2013, 19:52
FWIW Chrome used to great on the iOS. Was the best browser on an iPad.
2 upgrades ago they blew it. Unstable and very frustrating as it crashes when you try and zoom now. Hope they fix it soon.

wysper
19th May 2013, 21:07
FWIW Chrome used to great on the iOS. Was the best browser on an iPad.
2 upgrades ago they blew it. Unstable and very frustrating as it crashes when you try and zoom now. Hope they fix it soon.

Funny, I thought I was the only one thinking Chrome was getting worse.

mashman
19th May 2013, 21:16
Windows 8... meh, just another OS. However IE 10 is causing all sorts of issues in all of the wrong places. Clicks not being processed, return pages adding extra bits to URL's and making them break. I R not happy wiv it.

Mental Trousers
19th May 2013, 21:16
Google "win8 start button" and go through the various links. There's a number of options but I can guarantee that adding a Start button to Win8 will improve your experience 1000%

Ocean1
19th May 2013, 21:18
Windows 8... meh, just another OS. However IE 10 is causing all sorts of issues in all of the wrong places. Clicks not being processed, return pages adding extra bits to URL's and making them break. I R not happy wiv it.

So, an improvement on IE9 then...

mashman
19th May 2013, 21:20
So, an improvement on IE9 then...

Currently quite the opposite... which, as it turns out, is actually possible.

BigAl
19th May 2013, 21:23
Yeah windows 8 sucks on a desktop/notebook. Have it on one of my work PCs to show people how bad it is.

We only install/downgrade to windows 7 at the company.

Interestingly windows 8 uptake is slower than Vista was when it came out and is heading the same way ie to be skipped.

As for browsers Firefox used to be good until they got to version 20, back to IE for us now.

mashman
19th May 2013, 21:25
As for browsers Firefox used to be good until they got to version 20, back to IE for us now.

Chrome be king.

Mushu
19th May 2013, 21:36

I may have to apply for my official old fart card.

Far Canal!

That is all...

From what I can tell windows 8 is really quite good for phones and tablets (which is the biggest market these days) but with proper computers windows 7 does the job far better my last 5 computers have used win 7 ultimate although I am considering a return to Linux for my next build.

Sent from my XT535 using Tapatalk 2

Mental Trousers
19th May 2013, 22:05
Chrome be king.

Iron (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php) you mean

leathel
19th May 2013, 22:34
I just got a new laptop with 7 loaded and 8 lisence ... after a bit of research...7 stays

Loaded 2013 office and Fark what a cock up, emails didn't come through with codes, didn't load properly... sorted it in the end but loading everything on the new laptop from the old dying one has blown far far to many hours :no:

Had to be done... nearly there now

The wife has 8 on the little envy Tablet/ laptop and I never look forward to the "what do I do here" Questions...

mashman
19th May 2013, 23:01

Very nice...

hayd3n
19th May 2013, 23:20
great on tablets and touch screens but standard screens. what a pain

Mom
20th May 2013, 06:51
You also have to trust Windows 8 to close applications at the right time....or you can go into desktop and close the stuff you've finished with from task manager.

Speech recognition is good, but you have to launch the apps from the desktop taskbar or it won't work (windows quality software huh?).

When you become a silver surfer you'll have time to learn all this new stuff :)

I discovered the only way to close applications was to use the task manager. How stupid is that. This old guy is using his phone to connect to the internet, he does not have a wonderful amount of data, IE just keeps running in the background despite him not requiring the internet to play spider :eek:

great on tablets and touch screens but standard screens. what a pain

I can see it on a touch screen, but a lap top? Ridiculous!

p.dath
20th May 2013, 07:46
I've been using Windows 8 no a notebook for maybe 6 months now.

Absolutely hate it. Next time I re-image my machine I think I'll go back to Windows 7.

Paul in NZ
20th May 2013, 08:14
Chrome be king.

Hmm - I knew it! Chrome DOES get you home.....

BuzzardNZ
20th May 2013, 09:25
I also hate it.

No start button sucks.

It took me forever to even find out how to shutdown properly. Not intuitive at all. :nono:

Edbear
20th May 2013, 10:42
I sold my iPad to my daughter as I wanted USB and a touchpad which the iPad doesn't have. The new Asus 11" is a great wee laptop and I like it! I am getting used to Windows 8RT but it has some limitations that require getting around and searching for stuff that works well.

The only thing I now want is an e-reader that is as good as iBooks! I downloaded freda which is quite good but doesn't have the features of iBooks.

mashman
20th May 2013, 11:12
I sold my iPad to my daughter as I wanted USB and a touchpad which the iPad doesn't have. The new Asus 11" is a great wee laptop and I like it! I am getting used to Windows 8RT but it has some limitations that require getting around and searching for stuff that works well.

The only thing I now want is an e-reader that is as good as iBooks! I downloaded freda which is quite good but doesn't have the features of iBooks.

Dis might do the trick for ye (http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions.html)

Edbear
20th May 2013, 11:15
Dis might do the trick for ye (http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions.html)

Thanks, I'll put it on and see how it goes! :niceone:

Edbear
20th May 2013, 11:32

"This App can't run on your PC." I have had this issue with running Windows RT. It is not easy to find an app for it.

leathel
20th May 2013, 12:47

My wifes 11" envy came with a kindle? Program loaded she uses for books, Its mostly used as a Tablet, only plugs in the keyboard part for the longer battery life when it gets low and she doesn't have a plug handy....... .

Bald Eagle
20th May 2013, 13:22
just got a new work phone windoz shite, cant reply to forum posts no tappatalk fugly browser wont display pdfs in work email, gotta ask the boss if i can android the bloidy crap thing

mashman
20th May 2013, 13:32
"This App can't run on your PC." I have had this issue with running Windows RT. It is not easy to find an app for it.

Bagga... who woulda thunk putting text on a screen would be so hard eh.

Edbear
20th May 2013, 13:35
My wifes 11" envy came with a kindle? Program loaded she uses for books, Its mostly used as a Tablet, only plugs in the keyboard part for the longer battery life when it gets low and she doesn't have a plug handy....... .

My Asus is also a detachable tablet and it is great for that,. I had a Logitech keyboard for the iPad too. The biggest problem is Windows RT. I have found a Microsoft app that seems to be what I want but I can't log onto my account at the mo, they said try again later as the site was down.

The Asus seems to have a very long battery life, too!

My old Asus laptop is well past its use by date and still going. Just too big these days to carry around.

Edbear
20th May 2013, 13:36
Bagga... who woulda thunk putting text on a screen would be so hard eh.

See my last post above I think I found one.

leathel
20th May 2013, 13:53
Karen was going to get a notebook.... but these two in ones have more memory, std USB can be used with the big hard drives etc, and runs std windows, she loves it....apart from learning 8

She is also downloading all sorts and will clog the memory before she knows it! It has more memory than her old laptop but nothing compared to my new one...but mine has a 19.3" screen so is big, but what I need for work as lots of my work uses photo's so I need to see the detail on the pics.

Akzle
20th May 2013, 17:16
ubuntu.

suitable even for niggers and old folk. and connects to a printer.

Akzle
20th May 2013, 17:20
compared to my new one...but mine has a 19.3" screen so is big,

it'd be nice if it was a asus. but i's a hp, innit?

leathel
20th May 2013, 17:27
it'd be nice if it was a asus. but i's a hp, innit?

TOSHIBA Satellite PRO :)
It must be 17.3"... swapping data from old to new and I recon there is only 2" in the width.... much better quality than the old screen....when the old screen still went :P

leathel
21st May 2013, 07:34
well that was a waiste of time..... spend a good amount of time sorting files to take to the new computer... my biggest storage device I had at hand was a 32gig SD card (portable hard drives were left at home yesterday)
Spent ages getting them on with the last folder taking 1.5 hours to transfer...... and all the new laptop wants to do is format it :rolleyes:

it loads the library in the background but as soon as you cancel the format it closes that too.... I will put a bit on the USB stick this morning and see what happens..... more time wasted :no:

wysper
21st May 2013, 10:13

Cool browser, it will replace chrome for me. It displays sites much better than chrome, resizes them correctly to fit my screen etc.

Thanks MT.

leathel
21st May 2013, 12:12
Cool browser, it will replace chrome for me. It displays sites much better than chrome, resizes them correctly to fit my screen etc.

Thanks MT.

there is no way I am running Chrome on any PC I own.... Google is renowned for collecting data to use to market to you.... or for their research

The terms and conditions are an interesting read...

Liking the new laptop.... took 1 1/2 hours to load some data to the USB stick to transfer and 13 min to take it off the USB stick on the new machine :D

Mental Trousers
21st May 2013, 12:43
there is no way I am running Chrome on any PC I own.... Google is renowned for collecting data to use to market to you.... or for their research

Stop blathering and use Iron (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php). It's Chrome with all the data collection removed and privacy stuff added in.

Akzle
22nd May 2013, 18:01

opera you mean?

Mental Trousers
22nd May 2013, 19:00
opera you mean?

You use green text for everything and expect people to take you seriously? :facepalm:

leathel
23rd May 2013, 07:25
Stop blathering and use Iron (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php). It's Chrome with all the data collection removed and privacy stuff added in.

quite happy using what I am.... its just not chrome or explorer ;)

Akzle
23rd May 2013, 08:30
You use green text for everything and expect people to take you seriously? :facepalm:

you new here or something?

Im for my own amusement. And the cyber bullying of mx5 owners and aucklanders...

Opera wins all over your shit.

Mental Trousers
23rd May 2013, 08:57
you new here or something?

Im for my own amusement. And the cyber bullying of mx5 owners and aucklanders...

Opera wins all over your shit.

Opera's position in the market place is not at all well defined. It's not the fastest browser, it's not the most customisable, it's not the easiest to use, it's not the best at standards compliance. The one thing it stands out at is innovation - Opera has traditionally been the first to have many of the features that are common place now. But that's not enough to be anything other than a niche product for people with a superiority complex.

Akzle
23rd May 2013, 16:17
a niche product for people with a superiority complex.

so you're admitting i'm better than you?

Mental Trousers
23rd May 2013, 16:24
so you're admitting i'm better than you?

Depends at what. In this case no, you just think you are.

Edbear
23rd May 2013, 16:35
Opera's position in the market place is not at all well defined. It's not the fastest browser, it's not the most customisable, it's not the easiest to use, it's not the best at standards compliance. The one thing it stands out at is innovation - Opera has traditionally been the first to have many of the features that are common place now. But that's not enough to be anything other than a niche product for people with a superiority complex.

I used Opera Mini on my old Sony Erricson K750i years ago. (Still got the phone, one of the first in NZ, still goes, still on its original battery!) It was quite good but my screen size really was too small. Now I'm much older I'm thinking about getting Galaxy S4 as the screen on my iPhone is a bit small these days...:no:

Akzle
23rd May 2013, 16:35
Depends at what. In this case no, you just think you are.

i'll take that as a yes.

leathel
23rd May 2013, 17:56
Oh I love it when a 5 minute jobs turns to custard..install a printer, easy done in 5 minutes

mmm disc is for XP

Down load driver...done easy fix

wont recognize the printer is there on the network

download network tool.... nup still not there

connect printer direct to the machine.... yup there but install driver fail!

update driver ....fail

Tomorrow.. I need a drink <_<

mashman
23rd May 2013, 18:04
I used Opera Mini on my old Sony Erricson K750i years ago. (Still got the phone, one of the first in NZ, still goes, still on its original battery!) It was quite good but my screen size really was too small. Now I'm much older I'm thinking about getting Galaxy S4 as the screen on my iPhone is a bit small these days...:no:

Save yourself a fortune and save straining your eyes. (http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_2_7_0_p3100-4543.php)... I have the gen 1 and it's more than good enough and even after nearly 2 years the battery is kickin the arse of friends galaxy and ifart phones that are less than half as old.

Akzle
23rd May 2013, 18:16
update driver ....fail

network printer driver and local priner driver probably two different things.
<3 winblows!

completely remove the old drivers, force windows to roll back to generic driver, restart about four and a half times, put the computer in the dishwasher and walk away.

Mental Trousers
23rd May 2013, 19:31
i'll take that as a yes.

You don't read too well. Probably your choice of browser.

Mom
23rd May 2013, 19:46

I cant believe you are still arguing with this winner...

It is not just his browser that is the problem.

1billyboy
23rd May 2013, 19:57
If you want a proper OS buy a Mac:rolleyes:

Edbear
23rd May 2013, 20:29
Save yourself a fortune and save straining your eyes. (http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_2_7_0_p3100-4543.php)... I have the gen 1 and it's more than good enough and even after nearly 2 years the battery is kickin the arse of friends galaxy and ifart phones that are less than half as old.

Bit too big just yet.

Akzle
23rd May 2013, 20:32

you dont browse too well. Probably your choice of cologne.

mashman
23rd May 2013, 21:08
Bit too big just yet.

So think of it as just wasting money once. It fits in your back pocket :yes:

Edbear
23rd May 2013, 21:17
So think of it as just wasting money once. It fits in your back pocket :yes:

But wasting money in stages helps the illusion one is not growing old fast... :confused:

Mental Trousers
23rd May 2013, 21:43
you dont browse too well. Probably your choice of cologne.

Lack of green text. Awesome hahaha

mashman
23rd May 2013, 21:43
But wasting money in stages helps the illusion one is not growing old fast... :confused:

Isn't that what trolling is for?

cc rider
24th May 2013, 01:39
Today I opened a catalogue, read the index, turned to the page I wanted, walked over to the customer who was trying on gear and pointed at a picture & asked "Is that the part?"

He nodded, we both smiled, I then wrote a note with a pink pen (no-one nicks pink ones), put it in a lil tube & set the pigeon loose outside.
..... ................ ? .... .......!
..... .. .... ...., .. . ...... ..... .......-.......(.... ... .....) :laugh:

Sent via spaghetti alphabet letters.... I ate the rest of my post :bleh:

mashman
24th May 2013, 07:51
..... ................ ? .... .......!
..... .. .... ...., .. . ...... ..... .......-.......(.... ... .....) :laugh:

Sent via spaghetti alphabet letters.... I ate the rest of my post :bleh:

Can I have an E please.