PDA

View Full Version : Race suspension for a K4 or K5 GSX-R600?

Aaron18
19th May 2013, 20:26
Hi,

Any of you guys got any left over upgraded shocks, forks from the old supersport days for sale?

I have a K5 Gsxr 600 trackbike which has standard suspension that needs upgrading but I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

I am needing 95kg/mm fork springs also. On that note any Fibre glass S/H fairings or rear sets?

Thought it may be worth asking on a off chance before I have to spend the $$.

Thanks,

Aaron

Robert Taylor
20th May 2013, 07:48
If there is anything anywhere bear in mind that it still has to be set up for you personally. It is not plug and play. So youd have to get it all really cheap to allow for the further cost in setting it up.

Drew
20th May 2013, 11:03
If there is anything anywhere bear in mind that it still has to be set up for you personally. It is not plug and play. So youd have to get it all really cheap to allow for the further cost in setting it up....

So buy some used gear from Robert, and you'll get unmatched follow up service.

White trash
20th May 2013, 12:00
95kg/mm Jesus! How fucken fat are you?!?!

Drew
20th May 2013, 12:58
95kg/mm Jesus! How fucken fat are you?!?!I wanna see a spring that stiff, that fits in a fork tube.

codgyoleracer
20th May 2013, 13:40
I wanna see a spring that stiff, that fits in a fork tube.

The ultimate in anti-dive ?

neil_cb125t
20th May 2013, 14:10
Hi,

Any of you guys got any left over upgraded shocks, forks from the old supersport days for sale?

I have a K5 Gsxr 600 trackbike which has standard suspension that needs upgrading but I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

I am needing 95kg/mm fork springs also. On that note any Fibre glass S/H fairings or rear sets?

Thought it may be worth asking on a off chance before I have to spend the $$.

Thanks,

Aaron

I once put 25mm wooden broom handle spacers in my RG150 forks - really helped with fork dive. But turn in suffered severely.......

Drew
20th May 2013, 14:19
I once put 25mm wooden broom handle spacers in my RG150 forks - really helped with fork dive. But turn in suffered severely.......I got Alan (my swinger) to make a series of 5mm aluminium washers with just the right sized OD and ID...And called them shims.

Fancy aye.

Robert Taylor
20th May 2013, 18:02
95kg/mm Jesus! How fucken fat are you?!?!

Im sure you realise its a typo, should read .95.

No used stuff for these

suzuki21
20th May 2013, 18:13
I have a shock the same length as a K4 1000 that Robert built for my post classic bike, it will need re-valving as mine was a custom special.

jellywrestler
20th May 2013, 18:31
I once put 25mm wooden broom handle spacers in my you're not from Inglewood are you?

Aaron18
20th May 2013, 20:05
Yep sorry helps if you put a . before the 95.

Thanks for the help.

Drew
20th May 2013, 20:36
On a more serious note, you're gonna struggle finding second hand suspension worth what you pay, without spending more to have it made to suit.

Nearly everything needs new gas, seals, and fluid anyway. It's not super expensive, but it's a cost to add to purchase price.

That Robert Taylor dude told me he'd seen some suspension put together once, and it didn't look that hard. Give him a call, and hit him up for some real advice and prices.

R6_kid
21st May 2013, 00:43
I've got an 'as new' WP Rear Shock - can send pics. Looking for about $750 for it, including postage. Bought it for my K4 600 but never ended up getting it fitted and have since sold the bike. I bought it off a wholesaler in Western Australia, was set up for a 70kg rider when last used - but you'd do well to take it to Ray Clee in Auckland to get it sorted for your use.

You can buy them new from the UK for around $1300NZD

Looks like this.
http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/ccp51/media/images/product_xlarge/WP%204618.jpg

crazy man
22nd May 2013, 16:58
stock is best

Drew
22nd May 2013, 17:49
stock is bestOh, Kerry been having a word in your shell like?

Robert Taylor
22nd May 2013, 18:08
stock is best

Of course, as its fully adjustable.............

The earth is flat as well

Drew
22nd May 2013, 18:30

The earth is flat as wellAnd the clickers effect the suspension, the same as re-valving.

crazy man
22nd May 2013, 20:37

The earth is flat as welll guess a protwin does go 1 sec a lap faster with 10k spent on it:eek:and for what

Drew
22nd May 2013, 20:41
l guess a protwin does go 1 sec a lap faster with 10k spent on it:eek:and for whatFor one second!

It's not $10k, and it's more than a second though.

Robert Taylor
22nd May 2013, 22:00
l guess a protwin does go 1 sec a lap faster with 10k spent on it:eek:and for what

Apologies that there are people out there that have higher aspirations, maybe everything should be dumbed down.

crazy man
23rd May 2013, 12:37
fishys are bitting:devil2:

Robert Taylor
23rd May 2013, 13:29
fishys are bitting:devil2:

Your spelling is equally as bad as your fishing rod.

crazy man
23rd May 2013, 15:19
l new my spelling would get another bite :first:

jasonu
23rd May 2013, 16:17
l new my spelling would get another bite :first:

Onya mate. Those guys are a bunch of faggs.

Robert Taylor
23rd May 2013, 18:27
Onya mate. Those guys are a bunch of faggs.

Id say its pretty faggy to reside on forums to bait people rather than have something actually productive to offer.

Drew
23rd May 2013, 18:53
Id say its pretty faggy to reside on forums to bait people rather than have something actually productive to offer.

Chomp chomp chomp. Hehehe.

Don't listen to them Bob, they're bucket racers! Walks off shuddering.

crazy man
23rd May 2013, 19:12
Id say its pretty faggy to reside on forums to bait people rather than have something actually productive to offer.l don't want to hurt your feeling

Robert Taylor
23rd May 2013, 20:27
l don't want to hurt your feeling

Lets see if you have the guts to walk up to me at a meeting and divulge exactly who you are instead of getting perverse and ultimately childish pleasure gutlessly sniping away hiding behind a forum name. But I guess I need not hold my breath in the expectation of same.

I have not always seen eye to eye with characters such as Shaun Harris but at least he had the guts to put his name behind anything he said that not everyone agreed with. That in itself earns respect, you earn exactly none.

codgyoleracer
23rd May 2013, 23:31
Lets see if you have the guts to walk up to me at a meeting and divulge exactly who you are instead of getting perverse and ultimately childish pleasure gutlessly sniping away hiding behind a forum name. But I guess I need not hold my breath in the expectation of same.

I have not always seen eye to eye with characters such as Shaun Harris but at least he had the guts to put his name behind anything he said that not everyone agreed with. That in itself earns respect, you earn exactly none.

Hes a big fella Rob with a good left hook. Ugly as sin though , but his mom loves him.

Billy
23rd May 2013, 23:48
Hes a big fella Rob with a good left hook. Ugly as sin though , but his mom loves him.

Aww,You beat me to it,I wanted to say that,Now Roberts gonna be to scared to get out of his trailer at the track

Drew
24th May 2013, 06:36
Hes a big fella Rob with a good left hook. Ugly as sin though , but his mom loves him.I thought he looked quite cuddly.

crazy man
24th May 2013, 07:49

I have not always seen eye to eye with characters such as Shaun Harris but at least he had the guts to put his name behind anything he said that not everyone agreed with. That in itself earns respect, you earn exactly none.l have tryed to talk to you but your always running around like a bad man

crazy man
24th May 2013, 07:50
I thought he looked quite cuddly.oh ........

Robert Taylor
24th May 2013, 07:54
l have tryed to talk to you but your always running around like a bad man

Yes, thousands on welfare depend on me, cant let them down!

crazy man
24th May 2013, 07:56
all l said was stock is best . anyone that knows me knows l only run stock in my bike and has worked fine for me at lap record pace years ago ( you did not have to reply to me at all ) so who started it?

crazy man
24th May 2013, 08:06
Hes a big fella Rob with a good left hook. Ugly as sin though , but his mom loves him.you know l only use my head lol

Drew
24th May 2013, 13:38
all l said was stock is best . anyone that knows me knows l only run stock in my bike and has worked fine for me at lap record pace years ago ( you did not have to reply to me at all ) so who started it?

Sorry mate. Been down the same argument when I started racing. Gapped the pro twin field and held the lead from Glen Williams for a couple laps, on a stock SV against his borrowed F3 beast. Thought it was all shit about suspension control.

Sam Love shows up on his sorted pro twin, and Glen on his own F3 bike, and I'm left wondering if the race hasn't been red flagged they're so fuckin far in front of me. Don't get me wrong, I don't claim to be as good as Glen. But when we got the Ohlins in the SV, I could beat Sam easily...In his very early days:yes:

A bike on standard suspension is easy to ride faster than is expected I reckon, because soft is tactile. It isn't stable however, so the shit hits the fan when ya try and keep up with a bike that actually holds the geometry it's meant to have.

crazy man
24th May 2013, 15:20
Sorry mate. Been down the same argument when I started racing. Gapped the pro twin field and held the lead from Glen Williams for a couple laps, on a stock SV against his borrowed F3 beast. Thought it was all shit about suspension control.

Sam Love shows up on his sorted pro twin, and Glen on his own F3 bike, and I'm left wondering if the race hasn't been red flagged they're so fuckin far in front of me. Don't get me wrong, I don't claim to be as good as Glen. But when we got the Ohlins in the SV, I could beat Sam easily...In his very early days:yes:

A bike on standard suspension is easy to ride faster than is expected I reckon, because soft is tactile. It isn't stable however, so the shit hits the fan when ya try and keep up with a bike that actually holds the geometry it's meant to have.all i'm pointing out is you should get a fealy fast race time before worrying about suspension. l'v seen to meany people blow there budget and still go no good then never see them again . just funny 13 years down the track the basic fast winter time at manfeild is no faster and yet the bikes are so much better? but we all know its comes down the rider mosty.

Drew
24th May 2013, 17:15
all i'm pointing out is you should get a fealy fast race time before worrying about suspension. l'v seen to meany people blow there budget and still go no good then never see them again . just funny 13 years down the track the basic fast winter time at manfeild is no faster and yet the bikes are so much better? but we all know its comes down the rider mosty.I've made that same argument too. Got shot down in a ball of flames...AGAIN.

Sit the front end of an SV on the bump stops under brakes doing 1m17s, bog standard around Manfield. All good, did it repeatedly. Do the same thing braking a little deeper, to get the front past a door shutting Glen Williams, and things get, well, interesting.

It is safer, and cheaper in the long run to chuck $450 worth of emulators in there. Ya might not go faster straight away, but all of a sudden that same lap time is farther from the limits of the bike.

Regarding the lap times, (I'm sorry mate I've forgotten your real name or I would have inserted it here), the track was a bit better most of the time back then, and some of the current winter series superbikes are cutting 1m8s laps on a regular occasion. No cunt was doing that 13 years ago at the bloody nats!

Deano
24th May 2013, 17:21

When did you ever beat Sam ?

Drew
24th May 2013, 17:26
When did you ever beat Sam ?The three rounds I rode your bike before I was given the Ducati. Was his first season I think.

crazy man
24th May 2013, 18:05
I've made that same argument too. Got shot down in a ball of flames...AGAIN.

Sit the front end of an SV on the bump stops under brakes doing 1m17s, bog standard around Manfield. All good, did it repeatedly. Do the same thing braking a little deeper, to get the front past a door shutting Glen Williams, and things get, well, interesting.

It is safer, and cheaper in the long run to chuck $450 worth of emulators in there. Ya might not go faster straight away, but all of a sudden that same lap time is farther from the limits of the bike.

Regarding the lap times, (I'm sorry mate I've forgotten your real name or I would have inserted it here), the track was a bit better most of the time back then, and some of the current winter series superbikes are cutting 1m8s laps on a regular occasion. No cunt was doing that 13 years ago at the bloody nats!my best time was a 13.8 on a AMB transponder in winter on a 65 hp zxr400 and the trucks groved the track everywhere. 1.15 every winter round . l know jason m in 1998 was doing 107s, world super bike lap record in 1992 was 106.6 by doug polan. ozzy said it was a 120 hp the ducati

Drew
24th May 2013, 18:15
my best time was a 13.8 on a AMB transponder in winter on a 65 hp zxr400 and the trucks groved the track everywhere. 1.15 every winter round . l know jason m in 1998 was doing 107s, world super bike lap record in 1992 was 106.6 by doug polan. ozzy said it was a 120 hp the ducatiOK, times haven't dropped a lot.

jellywrestler
24th May 2013, 18:28
I could beat Sam easily...In his very early days

and every roadrace sidecar for a couple of laps at least.....

Drew
24th May 2013, 18:32
and every roadrace sidecar for a couple of laps at least.....I was not trying to boast. I did point out this was when Sam was just starting. It was an example of before an after the Swedish stuff went on the bike.

You and Deano keep focussing on the wrong part of the story though bro.

crazy man
24th May 2013, 18:35
OK, times haven't dropped a lot.think the biggist change for f3 laptime was going from 400four 500twin to 650twin

Robert Taylor
24th May 2013, 20:33
all i'm pointing out is you should get a fealy fast race time before worrying about suspension. l'v seen to meany people blow there budget and still go no good then never see them again . just funny 13 years down the track the basic fast winter time at manfeild is no faster and yet the bikes are so much better? but we all know its comes down the rider mosty.

Yes, rider ability is definitely one of the main key components but BOLLOCKS to some of your ''reasoning''. 2 riders exactly the same speed on say SV650 protwin, 85kgs, same height. One has bog stock suspension. One has internal fork mods ( done well ) and a fully sorted rear aftermarket shock that also fully addresses the geometry issue of this commuter bike.

And we are talking riders who race most of the year and not just going for a Sunday cruise. Everyone knows the answer and also that you are very confused.

Good suspension ( that the rider is also educated about ) will make an average rider improve his laptime significantly more than would be the case with a top level rider.

If you want to ride around on stock suspension and are happy in that world then that is fine. There are people out there that sell suspension and thats it leave them to it. But a responsible supplier of such product will also assist the rider to understand how to get the best out of it. And yes that does take time

Robert Taylor
24th May 2013, 20:35
When did you ever beat Sam ?

Hey Deano, do you want to refit your stock suspension and race with it at the Nationals against others with race suspension?

crazy man
24th May 2013, 20:40
what do you mean by BOLLOCKS to some of your ''reasoning ? there is only going to be one person that wins the race!the other 9 with the same set up lose buddy

codgyoleracer
24th May 2013, 20:47
I thought he looked quite cuddly.

Yeah..... in a Paremoremo sorta way......

Robert Taylor
24th May 2013, 20:48
what do you mean by BOLLOCKS to some of your ''reasoning ? there is only going to be one person that wins the race!the other 9 with the same set up lose buddy

Ok, I will immediately ring the race deaprtment at Ohlins ( and K-Tech ), Race Tech, Penske etc and inform them that there is a guy in NZ running stock suspension that knows more than them.
The education system in NZ has been dumbed down ( its now alright to be mediocre rather than aspire to be the best ) Im guessing you are fully supportive of such mindless mentality.
Mediocrity is not something that I or many others aspire to, but if it suits you, FINE!

Robert Taylor
24th May 2013, 20:56
Yeah..... in a Paremoremo sorta way......

And to not put too fine a point on it Mr confused man the starter of this thread is having suspension control, spring rate choice and tyre issues. He is seeking improvement, I dont think that is unreasonable and Ive spent some time assisting him to understand ways to fix that and mindful of containing costs ( with NO OBLIGATIONS TO PURCHASE ANYTHING OFF ME ) via other media. Something productive and helpful to a racer rather than the stupid childish games you play on here.

SORRY GLENN IT WAS ME THAT WAS MINDLESS REPLYING TO YOUR POST RATHER THAN THE CHAMPION OF ALL THINGS MEDIOCRE!

codgyoleracer
24th May 2013, 22:17
And to not put too fine a point on it Mr confused man the starter of this thread is having suspension control, spring rate choice and tyre issues. He is seeking improvement, I dont think that is unreasonable and Ive spent some time assisting him to understand ways to fix that and mindful of containing costs ( with NO OBLIGATIONS TO PURCHASE ANYTHING OFF ME ) via other media. Something productive and helpful to a racer rather than the stupid childish games you play on here.

SORRY GLENN IT WAS ME THAT WAS MINDLESS REPLYING TO YOUR POST RATHER THAN THE CHAMPION OF ALL THINGS MEDIOCRE!

yeah, agred slapped hand to us for getting off topic. The thread starter fully realises that you can improve on stock and also openly states that budget is important. If you dont ask you sure aint gonna get in life aye..

sugilite
24th May 2013, 22:53
I wonder if there is a good setting to fix these out of control tank slapping suspension threads?

codgyoleracer
24th May 2013, 23:12
I wonder if there is a good setting to fix these out of control tank slapping suspension threads?

Nothing 'springs' to mind

Deano
25th May 2013, 09:02
Hey Deano, do you want to refit your stock suspension and race with it at the Nationals against others with race suspension?

Hahahaha.

That would be a no. I want to live a little while longer yet thanks.

Robert Taylor
25th May 2013, 09:11

Yes, less rebound from those who have nothing productive and helpful to offer!

Deano
25th May 2013, 09:28
I was not trying to boast. I did point out this was when Sam was just starting. It was an example of before an after the Swedish stuff went on the bike.

You and Deano keep focussing on the wrong part of the story though bro.

I wasn't having a dig. I thought you only raced the bike for 2 meetings and never saw you up against Sam obviously.

nodrog
25th May 2013, 10:02
this thread is out of mantrol

jasonu
25th May 2013, 19:30

Poof.
10char

CHOPPA
25th May 2013, 21:51
I have ridden bikes at Phillip Island, Queensland Raceway, Pukekohe, Taupo and Manfeild on standard out of the box suspension and I believe I could have won at club level. In fact I did win a round of the VMCC and AMCC on my Dads road bike.

I can ride faster with better suspension. When I do have tyre or set up issues I have been able to consult the supplier who is at the track 90% of the time and he is able to make the necessary adjustments and swap springs free of charge.

Every rider will be able to go faster with better suspension and there will prob always be someone who can go faster on standard suspension

GSVR
26th May 2013, 15:05
Yes, rider ability is definitely one of the main key components but BOLLOCKS to some of your ''reasoning''. 2 riders exactly the same speed on say SV650 protwin, 85kgs, same height. One has bog stock suspension. One has internal fork mods ( done well ) and a fully sorted rear aftermarket shock that also fully addresses the geometry issue of this commuter bike.

And we are talking riders who race most of the year and not just going for a Sunday cruise. Everyone knows the answer and also that you are very confused.

Too true. Thats why when the Protwin class was introduced there had to be provision to modify both the front and rear suspension. It was a safety issue and if mods were not allowed there would have been lots of crashes and injuries. Not to mention the tyre wear issue with standard suspension.

But even with all those mods those Protwins don't handle anywhere near as well as a proper post classic or Harley Sportster. Probably becuase of all the HP they make!

Cheers Mr Taylor

sugilite
26th May 2013, 15:46
I top superbike rider posted, when this was being debated on here several years ago, that Stock suspension overheats and turns to mush after a few laps! If the mods give me permisssion I will "Dredge" the thread but they take a while to find.

You don't need mod permission to dredge Gary :lol:
Though I'd hardly describe myself as a top superbike rider I think you are referring to a post I made. It was when I was at manfield with a stock 06 ZX10R before it got turned into a superbike?
If so, yes, I was doing 10's on it bone stock. What I was finding was by lap 3 the stock shock was overheating and by lap 4 it was snaking badly out several corners. The stock shock was badly over heating and it was brand new. That was for a 06ZX10R. I'm sure pro twin bikes would be different, even a modern litre bike stock shock might be different now, though I wouldn't know. Choppa summed it all up in his post very well, I've nothing to add to what he has already said.

GSVR
26th May 2013, 16:42
There must be alot of truth in it then as it was not you Tony. It was gixerracer. Had a good search but can't find it now must be to long ago by far.

Anyway I'm not fishing for Green Fish today wrong species.

Robert Taylor
26th May 2013, 16:48
Too true. Thats why when the Protwin class was introduced there had to be provision to modify both the front and rear suspension. It was a safety issue and if mods were not allowed there would have been lots of crashes and injuries. Not to mention the tyre wear issue with standard suspension.

But even with all those mods those Protwins don't handle anywhere near as well as a proper post classic or Harley Sportster. Probably becuase of all the HP they make!

Cheers Mr Taylor

The SV example is also in fairness a case of converting a slow steering and very ''soft'' commuter bike ( never intended for racing ) into a racebike. So the goalposts have to be moved a lot further with such a bike, than say a 600cc class bike much closer to a race bike in geometry and ''fast'' settings etc.

Robert Taylor
26th May 2013, 18:45
Poof.
10char

You sir are spineless, sniping away behind the safety blanket of your keyboard. I am currently semi inebriated in the comfort of my warm lounge after several galsses of merlot.

But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be spineless.

crazy man
26th May 2013, 18:58
You sir are spineless, sniping away behind the safety blanket of your keyboard. I am currently semi inebriated in the comfort of my warm lounge after several galsses of merlot.

But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be spineless.and jason will get a good night sleep cause he has not riped anyone of

Robert Taylor
26th May 2013, 19:46
and jason will get a good night sleep cause he has not riped anyone of

Please substaniate, in full. My business prides itself on giving people value for money and if you want to make such veiled accusations behind the safety of your keyboard youd best man up and list everything that you consider has been a rip off and put your name to it.
This is low, even by your standards

Drew
26th May 2013, 20:31
and jason will get a good night sleep cause he has not riped anyone ofWhat the fuck? Poor form, very fuckin poor form.

Bucket racers, bitches be trippin!

Is there something in that come to think of it? Have you done much work for the toy bike racers Robert?

Mental Trousers
26th May 2013, 20:48
What the fuck? Poor form, very fuckin poor form.

Bucket racers, bitches be trippin!

Is there something in that come to think of it? Have you done much work for the toy bike racers Robert?

I've seen a couple of buckets when I've been in there. Defeats the spirit of the buckets class when the suspension costs more than the rest of the bike.

Drew
26th May 2013, 20:51
I've seen a couple of buckets when I've been in there. Defeats the spirit of the buckets class when the suspension costs more than the rest of the bike.Don't be fooled mate. Some of those things are worth a fuck load to have built. They mostly just look shite.

F4/5 are constructor classes though, as is F3. So that 'spirit of the class' thing really isn't accurate.

Mental Trousers
26th May 2013, 20:58
Don't be fooled mate. Some of those things are worth a fuck load to have built. They mostly just look shite.

F4/5 are constructor classes though, as is F3. So that 'spirit of the class' thing really isn't accurate.

I guess. But nobody ever said bucket racers are sane :rolleyes:

Drew
26th May 2013, 21:05
I guess. But nobody ever said bucket racers are sane :rolleyes:I don't get it really, but I wasn't any good at it when I tried to ride a couple, so that prolly has some influence on my take.

Got one in the shed that could be quite good, just can't be fuckin arsed with it right now. What with a cool fuckin tractor to build instead.

Robert Taylor
26th May 2013, 21:14
I've seen a couple of buckets when I've been in there. Defeats the spirit of the buckets class when the suspension costs more than the rest of the bike.

Yes Shane! We built suspension for one and the all up cost likely exceeded the cost of the bike. The whole point here is that the cost of building anything for such bikes is not indexed to their low value, it costs the same to build regardless. The customer was fully aware of the all up end cost and it was his call.
Rip off ? No! We dont engage in despicable behavouir like that, as you will well testify.

Robert Taylor
26th May 2013, 21:54
And I do take this personally. If the anonymous / spineless keyboard warrior wanted to inflict pain he succeeded, in spades. Personally, I spend an enormous amount of time replying to every single enquiry, in detail. If the customer doesnt need every ''whizzbang'' available and there is a cost effective value for money way of doing so, then I tell them.
Such veiled accusations are totally off the mark and I guess that you cannot place human decency where it is not supposed to be.

Pumba
26th May 2013, 22:54
Rip off ? No!

As the owner of said bouncy up and down bits on an FXR I will back up Roberts comment. I am more than happy and in no way was ripped off.

Even got a coffee at his house (was only instant if I recall and the milk may have been off but it is the thought that counts :bleh:)

sugilite
26th May 2013, 23:01
Yes Shane! We built suspension for one and the all up cost likely exceeded the cost of the bike. The whole point here is that the cost of building anything for such bikes is not indexed to their low value, it costs the same to build regardless. The customer was fully aware of the all up end cost and it was his call.
Rip off ? No! We dont engage in despicable behavouir like that, as you will well testify.
Robert, just got back to your merlot, put your feet up and relax eh. Yes, that troll by the nameless who no doubt will remain nameless was in my opinion a low blow. Anyone who has dealt with you know nothing could be further from the truth. I'll relay a personal experience I've had with your product and service for the benefit of those that may not have had the pleasure of dealing with you and your company. You sold a shock that went into the 10R I was racing, and gave a very good price, significantly lower than retail. The 1st time you saw me on the bike was at Wanganui, straight away you picked up a re-valve and different spring was in order and told me to come and see you at Invercargill the following week. So I bring over the shock over to you in your caravan at the 1st national round for the year and I'll be buggered if I know how you found the time to do it as the big teams with riders like Stroud, Shirrifs and Bernards mob were throwing you their suspension left right and centre. But do it you did, and it was spot on. Further more you did it for free, fully knowing you would most likely not see another purchase from me for a few years to come. Sound like a man prone to rip off''s? Hardly.

It's a real shame people seem to like winding you up for cheap thrills, especially with the amount of incredible technical advice you have given freely on this site over the years. The passion that gets a reaction from you by these trolls is the same passion that drives you to be such an accomplished suspension technician and expert. I'm struggling to think of a single expert in any field that gives out free information and technical support such as you do.

Drew
27th May 2013, 06:46
I'm struggling to think of a single expert in any field that gives out free information and technical support such as you do.

Battling with the Ducati, we purchased a TTX shock. I was having stupid set up problems and chucking the thing away every other time I rode it, (turned out to be pissing in the wind since it was wearing the wrong triple clamps). I asked Robert how long he would be prepared to keep working on the shock for us, as part of the sale cost. "Untill it's right Drew". From a bloke that knows a shock is never set up the same on any two days at the track, that's polite speak for 'forever'.

crazy man
27th May 2013, 08:01
so did you all have a good night sleep:banana:

Robert Taylor
27th May 2013, 08:27
so did you all have a good night sleep:banana:

Indeed, I didnt lose any time or sleep thinking of the two words that perfectly sum up your demeanour, admirably confirmed by yourself this morning. In a less enlightened time youd have been nailed to the wall.

But just a reminder that this thread is about a few questions on how to set up a racebike with being mindful of cost. What did you do to help the enquirer?

crazy man
27th May 2013, 13:27
stock is bestFor anyone that does not understand what stock means( it is a component than is in stock of the shelf) Robert sells stock Ohlins suspension not one off like some of you think you have ! (standard suspension) is what comes out standard with the bike! ( so if l ask for a standard suspension for my fzr l expect that's what will be sent to me !) l would fell ripped of if l thought l was getting a 1 off unit ! and then find out there made in there thousands! you know what i'm getting at lol

Robert Taylor
27th May 2013, 13:53
For anyone that does not understand what stock means( it is a component than is in stock of the shelf) Robert sells stock Ohlins suspension not one off like some of you think you have ! (standard suspension) is what comes out standard with the bike! ( so if l ask for a standard suspension for my fzr l expect that's what will be sent to me !) l would fell ripped of if l thought l was getting a 1 off unit ! and then find out there made in there thousands! you know what i'm getting at lol

Id retract some of those comments if I were you, given that you have made massive assumptions. Point of fact we build a huge numbers of one offs. Also we change the internal settings and spring rates on a very high percentage of the suspension units we sell to optimise them further for our conditions , and because we are so pedantic that is what we are about. We are always available to our customers and dont trade by fiction
But given you have never been to our premises, seen our equipment and see what we do youve really got no foundation in the incorrect assumptions you have acidicly made.
But why not own up to your sole purpose, to s..t stir for childish satisfaction.

crazy man
27th May 2013, 14:52
Id retract some of those comments if I were you, given that you have made massive assumptions. Point of fact we build a huge numbers of one offs. Also we change the internal settings and spring rates on a very high percentage of the suspension units we sell to optimise them further for our conditions , and because we are so pedantic that is what we are about. We are always available to our customers and dont trade by fiction
But given you have never been to our premises, seen our equipment and see what we do youve really got no foundation in the incorrect assumptions you have acidicly madeBut why not own up to your sole purpose, to s..t stir for childish satisfactionall you have modified is stock suspension the end and as for shildish satisfaction you attacked my spelling .. sorry if that makes you fell better ( l think you do a good job out there) wish things would not come to this. l know my first post can mean a lot of things just take it with a pinch of salt

crazy man
27th May 2013, 15:11
somthing new to talk about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PbmXxwKbmA

sugilite
27th May 2013, 15:37
For anyone that does not understand what stock means( it is a component than is in stock of the shelf) Robert sells stock Ohlins suspension not one off like some of you think you have ! (standard suspension) is what comes out standard with the bike! ( so if l ask for a standard suspension for my fzr l expect that's what will be sent to me !) l would fell ripped of if l thought l was getting a 1 off unit ! and then find out there made in there thousands! you know what i'm getting at lol
Weak sauce dude.

you attacked my spelling
Much more serious than attacking business ethics that have been hard earned.

somthing new to talk about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PbmXxwKbmA
Meanwhile at edbears school for distraction. :rolleyes:

crazy man
27th May 2013, 15:50
Weak sauce dude.

Much more serious than attacking business ethics that have been hard earned.

Meanwhile at edbears school for distraction. :rolleyes:l just want to get off the subject . l am a very sick person and this just makes me sicker . thank you

Maido
27th May 2013, 16:45
all you have modified is stock suspension the end and as for shildish satisfaction you attacked my spelling .. sorry if that makes you fell better ( l think you do a good job out there) wish things would not come to this. l know my first post can mean a lot of things just take it with a pinch of salt

Just like how world superbike engines are just modified stock units, so basically they are stock engines right?

It sounds like you started this argument and are now realising you sound like a bit of a dick and are trying to back out. Fair enough.

Its pretty harsh directing a barrage of criticism at someone like Robert who bangs in untold hours to the sport we all love.
At this years NZSBK rounds my 4 year old shock developed an ongoing problem (totally unassociated with his work I might add) that meant I couldn't get the best out of it. Robert worked selflessly in his spare time (spare time hah!) at the track (and this was over 4 rounds of the nationals) to make sure that the shock was fixed. It was a very unique problem that would come and go so took quite some time to get it sorted. Guess what, he didn't charge me a cent as it was a product fault (albeit a very rare one from a high quality Ohlins shock), and you have the balls to say he is a money grabber and that he only deals in stock gear. Cool story bro.

Mental Trousers
27th May 2013, 18:35
Its pretty harsh directing a barrage of criticism at someone like Robert who bangs in untold hours to the sport we all love.
At this years NZSBK rounds my 4 year old shock developed an ongoing problem (totally unassociated with his work I might add) that meant I couldn't get the best out of it. Robert worked selflessly in his spare time (spare time hah!) at the track (and this was over 4 rounds of the nationals) to make sure that the shock was fixed. It was a very unique problem that would come and go so took quite some time to get it sorted. Guess what, he didn't charge me a cent as it was a product fault (albeit a very rare one from a high quality Ohlins shock), and you have the balls to say he is a money grabber and that he only deals in stock gear. Cool story bro.

Sounds like you've been running into some interesting problems with your suspension this year. The problems with your forks had a similar fix to mine, ie the spring guides were causing craziness in the rate of change of the air gap.

Robert and Dennis do a huge amount of work they don't charge for. Even the work they do charge for is often less than it should be.

Maido
27th May 2013, 20:05
Sounds like you've been running into some interesting problems with your suspension this year. The problems with your forks had a similar fix to mine, ie the spring guides were causing craziness in the rate of change of the air gap.

Robert and Dennis do a huge amount of work they don't charge for. Even the work they do charge for is often less than it should be.

Yeah those forks were crazy, turns out the "stock" version wasn't that great and they had to be modified. Turns out that the bike ended up being the best it had been to date one Robert came up with the solution. Go figure!

PS for sale 1x Castrol CBR600RR if anyone is keen.

steveyb
27th May 2013, 21:05
Yeah those forks were crazy, turns out the "stock" version wasn't that great and they had to be modified. Turns out that the bike ended up being the best it had been to date one Robert came up with the solution. Go figure!

PS for sale 1x Castrol CBR600RR if anyone is keen.

PPS: Wanted to buy, one Honda CBR1000 Superbike....... yes??

R6_kid
30th May 2013, 01:45
So ahh... somewhere in there I offered a direct fitment aftermarket shock, as per the OP's request. Hit me up if interested, negotiable on price.