PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung GT650R

Matt Bleck
19th August 2005, 15:49
I'd have to say that I wasn't really a fan of the naked 650, but this one spins my wheels. http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2839065&fSectionId=918&fSetId=381

zadok
19th August 2005, 18:44
This must be at least the third thread about the Hyosung. Shows they are capturing peoples imagination. Good to see it mentions a second generation, better finished product, which tended to be the only criticism of them. Does look nice.

Riff Raff
19th August 2005, 19:19
I'd have to say that I wasn't really a fan of the naked 650, but this one spins my wheels. http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2839065&fSectionId=918&fSetId=381
Saw one at Mt Eden Motorcycles yesterday - it's very sexy in the flesh. Would imagine it's not too dissimilar to my SV (and a bit cheaper too). Might have to take one for a test ride.

Matt Bleck
19th August 2005, 19:25
Saw one at Mt Eden Motorcycles yesterday - it's very sexy in the flesh. Would imagine it's not too dissimilar to my SV (and a bit cheaper too). Might have to take one for a test ride.

If you do let us know what ya reckon about the brakes aye.

White trash
19th August 2005, 19:27
If you do let us know what ya reckon about the brakes aye.

Eh? What do you wanna know about them?

Matt Bleck
19th August 2005, 19:31
The dude in the write up reckons the brakes are shit. I was wondering just how shit they are. :sherlock:

justsomeguy
19th August 2005, 20:00
Yes this is the 3rd bloody thread...........here's the one I started a long time ago.........

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14914

Can someone please take one for a test ride and tell us L-Plate and restricted riders how they are??

Are they at $2K less than a SV650S a bargain or a cheap pile of poo??

If they go as good as they look they would make an excellent first bike for those on their full license.

Matt Bleck
19th August 2005, 20:05
Yes this is the 3rd bloody thread...........here's the one I started a long time ago.........

Ah, yeah, sorry dude! :whistle:

justsomeguy
19th August 2005, 20:17
Ahh - nothing to be sorry bout old fella - it's all good :niceone:

Just curious about the bike.

In bright yellow it looks like a real cool toy.

However all the reviews and general comments point towards buying a SV650S instead of the Hyosung.

Firefight
19th August 2005, 20:25
Ahh - nothing to be sorry bout old fella - it's all good :niceone:

Just curious about the bike.

In bright yellow it looks like a real cool toy.

However all the reviews and general comments point towards buying a SV650S instead of the Hyosung.

yes, I agree if you had to pick between them I would def go for the SV.

F/F

aff-man
19th August 2005, 20:26

Had a chat to mike apparetly they put out a bit more horsies than the sv and do the same job
http://www.motorbikes.be/en/compare/5060/4646/

zadok
19th August 2005, 22:17
This is the second generation, so should be better.

Bob
20th August 2005, 10:22
From memory of UK magazine tests of the original GT650 Comet, they're pretty good in most respects. BUT... brakes are wooden and weedy, suspension is too harsh (I was talking to someone today who sees one every now and again and he was telling me it bounces about a lot more then other bikes on the same route) and the finish isn't bad, but could be better. Oh yeah - they're heavier than their Suzuki counterpart.

The other comment I recall is that the cooler pipe is seriously exposed (but then it isn't exactly hidden away on the SV).

But if Hysosung are as good at listening to their customers as everyone seems to think, dampens the suspension and beefs up the brakes then for a couple of grand less than an SV, I reckon they're reasonable value. OK, residual sales value will be less, but then you're paying a lot less to start with.

I notice from the article they're also bringing out a cruiser based on the same engine. Now that could be a real winner - detuned SV engine in a cruiser should work nicely.

Now if only the official UK importer would bring them over! We get the 125 and 250 models, but we've only had the 650 Comet so far... and one of these days I WILL see if I can blag a ride...

SportsBikes NZ
28th August 2005, 09:41
Hi guys, I can get these fairings for the svs 650/1000. They arn't badly priced either. I have some pics on my gallery, our go to our web www.sportsbikesnz.co.nz

Hitcher
28th August 2005, 14:44
I see that TSS in Lower Hutt has scored a dealership for these. That should see a few more on the roads.

Beemer
28th August 2005, 15:09
Levin Motorcycle Centre has Hyosung too - they have one of the faired 650s in there now, and they've just sold one of the 250 cruisers. The woman was trading a 250 Virago - personally I couldn't see any advantage in changing from one small cruiser to another, but she's happy! It looked quite neat on first inspection - but I'm not into cruisers so I didn't take too much notice.

They'd do well with the bikes if they had a slightly lower seat height - the 650 (and I think the 250 is the same) is too high for me to touch the ground on.

MD
29th August 2005, 12:41
Finally got in to TSS to see for myself. That 650R is a stunner in red. Sort of Benelli 900tre headlights. A lot of bike for your buck if you're after a midsize bike. looks well made and solid. No cheap flexi-bendy-breaky plastic. Cool LCD display. Even the cruiser 250 looked good. Make a good commuter as well with plenty of plastic to hide behind in the wet and large tank range.
More competition - bring it on.

Bonez
30th August 2005, 18:33
The dude in the write up reckons the brakes are shit. I was wondering just how shit they are. :sherlock:Only way to find out is take one for a blat.

justsomeguy
30th August 2005, 18:43
Only way to find out is take one for a blat.

I kno but all these stoopeed ful lycense holdas just fart around no one does anithing.

Hitcher
30th August 2005, 18:51
I kno but all these stoopeed ful lycense holdas just fart around no one does anithing.
Snarrrrl...

justsomeguy
31st August 2005, 18:28
Snarrrrl...

So Mr Hitcher, are you going to reward us with a review after you test ride one of these machines? Or do we havta keep on beeing dissapointad??

rogson
31st August 2005, 18:45
I saw the red one at Mt. Eden Motorcycles today - I was in there buying a Kawasaki fork seal for my KTM...but that's another story.

I have to admit it is a stunner - but (isn't there always) I did see their demonstrator a while back and it looked decidely tardy. It can't have been too old but it had signs of rust around the frame welds. Hmmmmmmm........probably a good buy at the right price!

justsomeguy
5th September 2005, 17:33
I saw the red one at Mt. Eden Motorcycles today - I was in there buying a Kawasaki fork seal for my KTM...but that's another story.

I have to admit it is a stunner - but (isn't there always) I did see their demonstrator a while back and it looked decidely tardy. It can't have been too old but it had signs of rust around the frame welds. Hmmmmmmm........probably a good buy at the right price!

So they now have a demo?? Cos the last time we were there they didn't.

looks

zadok
6th October 2005, 10:40
Picked up the free CycleTorque newspaper when I was getting my topbox yesterday. It has a write up on the GT650S. They were totally impressed. Very reasonably priced over here; $9399 plus ORC. I also picked up the latest Motorcycle Trader mag. It has a test on the Suzuki SV650S. Another good write up; $11190 plus ORC. Keep an eye out for the Hyosung GT650R ad in any mags. If it's like the one I'm looking at, it looks awesome.

Avignon
6th October 2005, 20:19
The bike certainly looks the biz in the flesh, stacked headlight and all. This model was actually available in Korea in 2004 so hopefully they have sorted any gremlins, I know someone who owned one over there and he did say the brakes were spongy until he fitted braided lines and changes the pads, apparently in the Australiasian release version this has been improved after the brakes received a panning in the Aussie press. It certainly sounds roarty like a propper V-Twin and I wonder if there is any baffling in those mufflers at all, sounds lounder in stock form than my old TRX850 with laser cans. Go the price wars I say. When I was shopping for a new bike a few months ago, I wanted to take one for a test ride, but no demo bikes were available, they would let me take a new zx10r or r1 but Red Baron & Mt Eden wouldnt let me ride one of these :slap: , that put me off more than anything so I got the hornet, no way Im buying a bike without going for a ride.

hyorider1
10th October 2005, 11:33
check out this site for more info on Hyosung's.

www.korider.com

There are a good number of people with 650's that hang out there.

Zed
22nd October 2005, 07:21
Saw one at Mt Eden Motorcycles yesterday - it's very sexy in the flesh.Yeah I came out from a shop on Thursday and was startled to see this sleek black GT 650 on its stand parked beside my cage! Had a good look over it and was mostly pleased, would look nicer if the rear tyre was fatter and looks quite small and compact in the flesh.

I probably wouldn't spend money on one.:done:

Zed
22nd October 2005, 07:29
In bright yellow it looks like a real cool toy.Yellow would be my 4th choice, yuk! We all know red is the fastest colour and black is No.1!! :headbang:

justsomeguy
22nd October 2005, 20:46
Yellow would be my 4th choice, yuk! We all know red is the fastest colour and black is No.1!! :headbang:

Black is the one :not: I agree, but red :argh: is for girls and those with mid-life crisis......:mellow:

qwas
27th September 2009, 19:25

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14914

Can someone please take one for a test ride and tell us L-Plate and restricted riders how they are??

Are they at $2K less than a SV650S a bargain or a cheap pile of poo??

If they go as good as they look they would make an excellent first bike for those on their full license.

yes ive just brought a 09 black ed for the wife, first impresion of the brakes was shit but i also have a 08 zx6r so no comparison. took it for a run the port hills workig the brakes hard down hill to bed in and yes much better now, over all i am very pleasantly suprised by the 650. migth swap with the wife lol

NighthawkNZ
27th September 2009, 19:55
yes ive just brought a 09 black ed for the wife, first impresion of the brakes was shit but i also have a 08 zx6r so no comparison. took it for a run the port hills workig the brakes hard down hill to bed in and yes much better now, over all i am very pleasantly suprised by the 650. migth swap with the wife lol

dredging up a four year old thread, usually gets frowned upon in these parts of the woods... ;-/

Anyway my partner has the 07 naked version and while the brakes & suspension aren't up to what I am use to, but for a first big bike its worth it, its a peaky motor, and you can flick in the twisties... every now and then I like taking it for a spin...

BiK3RChiK
28th September 2009, 08:48
I'm thinking of moving up to the 650 Comet. My daughter has the 250 Comet and it's quite nutty to ride after being on the Sport bike for 18 months. The 250 is just too under-powered now so I think going up to a 650 is not too big a jump..

Hiflyer
28th September 2009, 13:28
Is it only a rumour that hyo's making a 1000cc "super"bike?

CookMySock
28th September 2009, 17:34
Is it only a rumour that hyo's making a 1000cc "super"bike?Yes. Along with their 450cc motard, except you can actually google a picture of the motard.

Steve

Radar
28th September 2009, 18:19
I'm thinking of moving up to the 650 Comet. My daughter has the 250 Comet and it's quite nutty to ride after being on the Sport bike for 18 months. The 250 is just too under-powered now so I think going up to a 650 is not too big a jump..

I met a guy on the Rimatuka hill road early this year who fckn rocketed up to the summit on his GT650. He told me that he just loves passing Ducati's. Yeah I know I know: quality-wise a Hyo is no comparison to the legendary Ducati, but as I am sure DB will validate, GT650's do have a bit of grunt.

BiK3RChiK - tell your daughter to be very very careful when first riding the 650, especially if it has crap tyres. A twist of the throttle at the wrong moment could bin it easily.

BiK3RChiK
28th September 2009, 18:33
I met a guy on the Rimatuka hill road early this year who fckn rocketed up to the summit on his GT650. He told me that he just loves passing Ducati's. Yeah I know I know: quality-wise a Hyo is no comparison to the legendary Ducati, but as I am sure DB will validate, GT650's do have a bit of grunt.

BiK3RChiK - tell your daughter to be very very careful when first riding the 650, especially if it has crap tyres. A twist of the throttle at the wrong moment could bin it easily.

Yeah, I have ridden Steve's GT650R and it can pull alright. Don't worry about the daughter! She will not be riding the 650 for quite some time.... She's only just got her learners.;) She went to take my GT250R for a ride today and freaked out:pinch: I think the riding position being somewhat different to her Comet did her head in, and the fact my bike is fully faired as opposed to the naked....

caseye
28th September 2009, 19:20
The new hyo bags look preety damn nice am looking forward to seeing their new cruisers.
Hey BIK3RChiK did you get a 650 Hyobag? well done.Hope that flus all gone now, take care out there.

BiK3RChiK
29th September 2009, 07:13
The new hyo bags look preety damn nice am looking forward to seeing their new cruisers.
Hey BIK3RChiK did you get a 650 Hyobag? well done.Hope that flus all gone now, take care out there.
I only just started looking... I gotta figure out what I'm going to do with my bike yet. My daughter wanted it, but then when she went to take it for a ride, she found it was a bit of a handful for her. So, I may have to sell it yet. I've had my full for about 6 months, so the 250 is quite under-powered for me now. I think the 650 will be a good step up. I probably should get out on Steve's a bit more and see if that's what I really want!