PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike accident repairs issue

Rajol
1st June 2013, 14:05
I had a collision with a woman who turned suddenly without indicating last week, luckily I was going really slow
But it left the front forks of my motorbike slightly bent, the bike was unridable, so i took it into the shop and that was it

The motorbike repair place was in Glen Innis, a small motorcycle repair shop
2 days later the guy seemed to have just bent it back into place, replaced the oil and welded it

He's charging 480 chocolate kisses,

- now here's where it gets interesting
I really just don't believe that it's worth that much, I could've just ordered some new forks and put it on myself very easily, but the guy assured me before he took it in, it wouldn't be that much...

problem
- I'm unsure that the woman who run over the front of the bike will pay for it, even though it was her fault for not indicating
- The guys is over charging, so in the event that the woman will not pay for it, I do not want to pay this much to the mechanic
I believe it's unfair to charge that much for such an easy job that he's claiming was so hard

- best case scenario, the woman pulls her head in and pays the job with her insurance, and also maybe the guy pays a bet less
- worst case scenario (what I think will happen) is she says nothing, it turns in a dispute that I can't be fucked with, so I end up paying for the whole lot and at the price he wants

any tips how I can turn this around in my favour?
cheerssssssssss

Madness
1st June 2013, 14:12
Just seeking clarification: Are you suggesting that you could have sourced new forks for less than $480.00?

speeding_ant
1st June 2013, 14:12
Do you have insurance? Did you file a police report?

Usually you are required to file a police report before you can claim on her insurance. They need to know whos fault it is.

If they find her at fault, you then need a full assessment on the bike - and the insurance company will either figure out if it's replacement parts or a write off.

$480 seems reasonable for straightening forks (Thinking about labour costs involved), however I expect quotes before work is carried out. Good luck finding replacements for less.

Katman
1st June 2013, 14:13
I really just don't believe that it's worth that much, I could've just ordered some new forks and put it on myself very easily, but the guy assured me before he took it in, it wouldn't be that much...

You clearly have no idea what was involved in the repair job.

Pay the guy what you owe him.

Crasherfromwayback
1st June 2013, 14:13
- The guys is over charging, so in the event that the woman will not pay for it, I do not want to pay this much to the mechanic
I believe it's unfair to charge that much for such an easy job that he's claiming was so hard

-

Glad you're ok at least. What makes you think $480.00 is too much? Which bike were you riding/have repaired?

Subike
1st June 2013, 14:20

And you are qualified in mechanical engineering and know this is true?
that the job of getting a tube that was bent, straight to the point it was before it was bent,
perfectly straight that is...so it does not bind in the slides or seals and leak.....
interesting..yes a very tricky job for most unskilled mechanics to undertake......oh hold on he was skilled.....

Rajol
1st June 2013, 14:36
Okay I can see where this is going,
I honestly don't know how hard it is to fix the forks

The reason why I was thinking like this, was because they were hardly bent, just the bottom part at maybe a 10 degree angle

But if the advice of kiwibikers says that he is justified in getting 500 dollars for the job then so be it

"Do you have insurance? Did you file a police report?

Usually you are required to file a police report before you can claim on her insurance. They need to know whos fault it is.

If they find her at fault, you then need a full assessment on the bike - and the insurance company will either figure out if it's replacement parts or a write off.

$480 seems reasonable for straightening forks (Thinking about labour costs involved), however I expect quotes before work is carried out. Good luck finding replacements for less."

Thanks for that, I wasn't really sure on what to do
I think I filed a police report over the phone, but I'll head down and go sort this out myself now and see what I can do

speeding_ant
1st June 2013, 14:41
Okay I can see where this is going,

The reason why I was thinking like this, was because they were hardly bent, just the bottom part at maybe a 10 degree angle

But if the advice of kiwibikers says that he is justified in getting 500 dollars for the job then so be it

"Do you have insurance? Did you file a police report?

$480 seems reasonable for straightening forks (Thinking about labour costs involved), however I expect quotes before work is carried out. Good luck finding replacements for less."

Thanks for that, I wasn't really sure on what to do
I think I filed a police report over the phone, but I'll head down and go sort this out myself now and see what I can do

Yes, you'll need to fill out a form that shows exactly what happened - and you'll need to draw the situation on paper, and it will be evidence so ensure it's correct. Did you managed to get a witness? Otherwise it'll be her word against yours (hopefully she's honest).

If you called the police, did they show up?

Road kill
1st June 2013, 14:49
You should of sorted the insurance issue on the spot because after the fact it often turns into a he said she said situation and unless you have credible witnesses your pretty much buggered if there's any dispute.

The cost of repairs,,,pay the guy what you owe him.

Do you really believe he could dismantle the front of your bike,then dismantle the forks effect the repairs and then put the lot back togeather it in less than 4/5 hours ?

If you do then sorry your dreaming.

Rajol
1st June 2013, 14:54
Yes, you'll need to fill out a form that shows exactly what happened - and you'll need to draw the situation on paper, and it will be evidence so ensure it's correct. Did you managed to get a witness? Otherwise it'll be her word against yours (hopefully she's honest).

If you called the police, did they show up?

Well the guys that pulled over disappeared afterward,
they also saw that she didn't indicate, because they almost hit her too

(hopefully she's honest yes, she did say that her insurance will cover 1000 dollars)

Called the police, they didn't show up, however a cop pulled over for a coffee at the place we were outside of -.- so spoke to him and he called it in

speeding_ant
1st June 2013, 14:59
Well the guys that pulled over disappeared afterward,
they also saw that she didn't indicate, because they almost hit her too

(hopefully she's honest yes, she did say that her insurance will cover 1000 dollars)

Called the police, they didn't show up, however a cop pulled over for a coffee at the place we were outside of -.- so spoke to him and he called it in

Hope it works out for you :cool:

AllanB
1st June 2013, 15:02
Sounds reasonable to straighten bent forks to me - the front end come off, dismantle forks, fix and reassemble.

Why did you not ask for a estimate?

Pay-up you owe the shop and stop slagging them off for what appears to be an acceptable charge. What do you do for a living?

danchop
1st June 2013, 15:05
what got welded?

Rajol
1st June 2013, 15:06
Sounds reasonable to straighten bent forks to me - the front end come off, dismantle forks, fix and reassemble.

Why did you not ask for a estimate?

Pay-up you owe the shop and stop slagging them off for what appears to be an acceptable charge. What do you do for a living?

Yeah I know, I'll see if this insurance business will sort it out first, otherwise I'll sort out payment myself. student/territorial

Rajol
1st June 2013, 15:08
what got welded?
I'm unsure

Crasherfromwayback
1st June 2013, 15:09
what got welded?

I'm unsure

I'm going for the steering stop on the frame.

BMWST?
1st June 2013, 15:16
what a troll.You dont even know what was done,you authorised the work without even an idea of what it might cost,and now you are crying!

Rajol
1st June 2013, 15:19
what a troll.You dont even know what was done,you authorised the work without even an idea of what it might cost,and now you are crying!

Well seeing as the guy didn't know what to do when I passed the bike to him... He said he'd take a look at it on friday, called me this morning saying it was done

He seemed like a good bloke, I don't care honestly, it's just money... I'd rather have that woman off the road. At the stop light before she hit me, she cut off another car in the lane and I'm just going to guess, she does this shit all the time because she has such a big truck (completely oblivious to other road users) (I wish they just put pink stickers on the back of all vehicles being driven by women, so I know to stay the fuck away from them)

James Deuce
1st June 2013, 15:20
You'd be lucky to get one fork stanchion, you know, the shiny chrome thing the bottom of the fork leg slides up and down on, for $480. You were lucky they were repairable.

I don't think we have the whole story around the accident. It all sounds a bit dodgy and there's something you're not owning up to in this whole thing.

Pay the man.

sil3nt
1st June 2013, 15:26
You'd be lucky to get one fork stanchion, you know, the shiny chrome thing the bottom of the fork leg slides up and down on, for $480. You were lucky they were repairable.

I don't think we have the whole story around the accident. It all sounds a bit dodgy and there's something you're not owning up to in this whole thing.

Pay the man.My thoughts exactly.

Rajol
1st June 2013, 15:28

Pay the man.

Okay there's a two lane merging, she's in the left, i'm in the right behind another vehicle
the car in front of me is well ahead of her and the lane is merging
(this is at 8.30am auckland traffic on a thursday)
she boosts it forward so she can be infront of the other car, cutting him off
I go into the left lane as the car in the right brakes to avoid hitting this other woman
we continue on in the single lane, for 100 meters, me behind her, car behind me
(she's driving a truck with a horse trailer)
everyone's going 50 which is fine
she's quite far on the right side of the single lane and all of a sudden pulls into a driveway
the only thing I could do was dodge left and break
I hit her side door going about 10km/h while trying to make a 90 degree turn left into the same driveway she is

she didn't indicate, simple as that, didn't even lead up to it,

The Reibz
1st June 2013, 15:28
Pretty reasonable price I think. If anything ali was welded count yourself lucky.
I charge a minimum of 30 bucks no mater how big the weld is and .50c a tack then $1 a inch for ALI TIG. If you ever have to fill up a argon cylinder you will understand why.

sil3nt
1st June 2013, 15:30
Okay there's a two lane merging, she's in the left, i'm in the right behind another vehicle
I go into the left lane as the car in the right brakes to avoid hitting this other woman
she's quite far on the right side of the single lane and all of a sudden pulls into a driveway
I hit her side door going about 10km/h while trying to make a 90 degree turn left into the same driveway she is

she didn't indicate, simple as that, didn't even lead up to it,Tough shit sounds like you were at fault. You should be following at a distance where you can safely stop without hitting the vehicle in front.

nzspokes
1st June 2013, 15:31

So you were following to close and hit the side of her coming from behind? So your fault.

Crasherfromwayback
1st June 2013, 15:33

So you were following too closely or what? *Edit* I'm following so far behind I was beaten to the post twice...

Katman
1st June 2013, 15:33
Yeah I know, I'll see if this insurance business will sort it out first, otherwise I'll sort out payment myself. student/territorial

No, you owe the workshop $480.

If you want to chase the women for the money afterwards that's up to you (although it doesn't sound as though you have any case).

Pay the guy the money you owe him.

AllanB
1st June 2013, 15:34
Shit mate you may end up paying for the panel and paint work on her door yet ......

Madness
1st June 2013, 15:35
Fucking cagers.

:facepalm:

The Reibz
1st June 2013, 15:45
Mate stop letting these guys wind you up. Pay for the forks then go and get a box off piss and consume.
Don't try and explain your accident on here, you just end up sounding like a muppet. This attracts more muppets to make fun of your muppetness.
Glad your all right and the old bag didn't run you over or anything

Mushu
1st June 2013, 15:49
Seems to me the charges from the mechanic are quite fair, I'd have no problem paying 480 for a bent fork, far cheaper than replacement.

The accident seems like your fault, it boils down to you running up the back of her, you should be paying for her door as well.

Sent from my XT535 using Tapatalk 2

BMWST?
1st June 2013, 16:01
i always carfeul following trailers..i reckon a very good portion dont have their lights hooked up

jasonu
2nd June 2013, 03:35
You clearly have no idea what was involved in the repair job.

Pay the guy what you owe him.

You like to use the word 'clearly' a lot.

Clearly though, you are clearly correct when you say he should clearly pay what he clearly owes to the mechanic. Clearly $480 is clearly a clearly fair amount for the work that clearly was done.

DMNTD
2nd June 2013, 06:59
...the only thing I could do was dodge left and break...

Sounds like more of a bend than a break

Owl
2nd June 2013, 07:21
You like to use the word 'clearly' a lot.

Clearly though, you are clearly correct when you say he should clearly pay what he clearly owes to the mechanic. Clearly $480 is clearly a clearly fair amount for the work that clearly was done.

It's clear you're not funny!:bleh:

awayatc
2nd June 2013, 07:27
i always carfeul following trailers..i reckon a very good portion dont have their lights hooked up

Following trailers ....?

why would you want to do that on a motorbike...?

Berries
2nd June 2013, 07:46
I would be careful what you admit to if you are looking at making an insurance claim. Car in front of you but well ahead starts braking hard in the merge area so you go past him on the left and somehow slip in to the 'gap' between him and the vehicle he was trying not to hit? Good skills.

jasonu
2nd June 2013, 08:30
It's clear you're not funny!:bleh:

It is clear that you clearly missed my point.

Katman
2nd June 2013, 08:46
It is clear that you clearly missed my point.

I use the word fuckwit a lot too.

What's your point?

Subike
2nd June 2013, 09:02
I use the word fuckwit a lot too.

What's your point?

clearly he thinks your a fuckwit....clearly the concesous of the fuckwits who clearly post on here

Ocean1
2nd June 2013, 09:54
Mate stop letting these guys wind you up. Pay for the forks then go and get a box off piss and consume.
Don't try and explain your accident on here, you just end up sounding like a muppet. This attracts more muppets to make fun of your muppetness.
Glad your all right and the old bag didn't run you over or anything

Yup.

If they were bent as far as 10 degrees they'd probably not have been recoverable. As they were, I can tell you that it takes quite a bit of experience, some reasonably expensive tooling and several hours to do that job. The price sounds fair.

jasonu
2nd June 2013, 10:54
clearly he thinks your a fuckwit....clearly the concesous of the fuckwits who clearly post on here

Well clearly that cleared up that issue.:niceone:

Berries
2nd June 2013, 12:33
Isn't concesous illegal?

Subike
2nd June 2013, 12:44
Isn't concesous illegal?

probably...

Oscar
2nd June 2013, 18:23

No you don't.
Just call your insurer.
If you aren't insured, write down your version of the circumstances, add that you consider it to be her fault and post or e-mail it to her.
Keep calling until she makes a claim.

Edit: I just read your description. You're almost certainly at fault.

bosslady
2nd June 2013, 19:26
Well seeing as the guy didn't know what to do when I passed the bike to him... He said he'd take a look at it on friday, called me this morning saying it was done

He seemed like a good bloke, I don't care honestly, it's just money... I'd rather have that woman off the road. At the stop light before she hit me, she cut off another car in the lane and I'm just going to guess, she does this shit all the time because she has such a big truck (completely oblivious to other road users) (I wish they just put pink stickers on the back of all vehicles being driven by women, so I know to stay the fuck away from them)

You're a dick. Although I'd certainly appreciate if you stayed the fuck away from me, retard. Keep a better following distance cause it sounds like the accident is of your own doing.

Berries
2nd June 2013, 19:59
You're a dick. Although I'd certainly appreciate if you stayed the fuck away from me, retard. Keep a better following distance cause it sounds like the accident is of your own doing.
Your KB training is now complete young Luke.

BMWST?
2nd June 2013, 21:12
Following trailers ....?

why would you want to do that on a motorbike...?

at times i am in a line of traffic in a 50 k hour area,and i also have occasion to observe the behaviour of other road users from the safety of my cage.i am slo quite happy at less than subsonic speeds on the open road.I rarely ,as you stated follow trailers on the open road

nzspokes
2nd June 2013, 21:46
I had a collision with a woman who turned suddenly without indicating last week, luckily I was going really slow
But it left the front forks of my motorbike slightly bent, the bike was unridable, so i took it into the shop and that was it

The motorbike repair place was in Glen Innis, a small motorcycle repair shop
2 days later the guy seemed to have just bent it back into place, replaced the oil and welded it

He's charging 480 chocolate kisses,

problem
- I'm unsure that the woman who run over the front of the bike will pay for it, even though it was her fault for not indicating

- best case scenario, the woman pulls her head in and pays the job with her insurance, and also maybe the guy pays a bet less
- worst case scenario (what I think will happen) is she says nothing, it turns in a dispute that I can't be fucked with, so I end up paying for the whole lot and at the price he wants

any tips how I can turn this around in my favour?
cheerssssssssss

So how do you feel this thread worked out for you?

Mushu
3rd June 2013, 03:46
So how do you feel this thread worked out for you?

I think he disappeared when he realized no one was going to give the reply he was looking for

Kelz
3rd June 2013, 09:16
Many many years ago I worked as a bike mechanic. At Saunders Motorcycle Engineering we used to straighten forks. Usually no big deal as long as they're not creased. It can take a few attempts to get them perfect though. A press, lead blocks, a surface plate, v blocks and a DTI. Thats a bit of an investment in gear. Add the mechanics skill and time to disassemble then reassemble forks, plus the forks off then on the bike, plus oil, and the time to do the weld, and wire and gas for that aren't free ( I know this cause now I work as a fitter/welder) , plus his investment in the welding machine, and all his other overheads and I don't think $480 (and 15% of that is GST) is too unreasonable.

Flip
3rd June 2013, 10:51
IMHO $480 seems abit on the light side. By the time you pull the front end off, take the fork apart, straighten and reassemble, all in less than 4 hours..... sounds like a bargin.

You asked the guy to do the work, you pay the bill. COD cough up or die.

Whats your excess? I bet its more than $500?

FROSTY
3rd June 2013, 17:02
YOU hit her. Therefore failed to maintain correct following distance. YOU are at fault. Keep riding like that and you will end up another statistic.

As for what the mechanic charged Pay him you owe him the money

sharp2183
4th June 2013, 08:52
This is fuckin funny. She was probably in the far right of the lane so that when she turned left she would be able to make it into the driveway without having the trailer go over the curb. It sounds easy, and usually is, but still is sometimes the only way to make it into the driveway. (Source - commercial truck/trailer driver, and horse owner).

You decide to hang on the left of the lane, nice and close. She indicates with a trailer that doesn't have a good connection on the electrical coupling (look around, lots of trailers in that scenario), and you don't see it. You hit her. Your fault.

$480 incl GST for dismantling, repairing and reassembling forks with new oil. That's probably more than fair.

danchop
4th June 2013, 10:34
ill go against the trend,her fault.make sure your indicators work before you take a horsefloat out for a ride.
without indictors going,i along with others would probably start to undertake on the left,because youd think she was moving over to turn right

Oscar
4th June 2013, 10:50
ill go against the trend,her fault.make sure your indicators work before you take a horsefloat out for a ride.
without indictors going,i along with others would probably start to undertake on the left,because youd think she was moving over to turn right

The Cops attitude is that you can't rely on indicators, and that you must be able to stop in half the given distance.
I'm guessing that they would say chummy's at fault.

danchop
4th June 2013, 11:03
The Cops attitude is that you can't rely on indicators, and that you must be able to stop in half the given distance.
I'm guessing that they would say chummy's at fault.
cool im off to smash all my indicators off,cause they make my bike look fucking ugly

Oscar
4th June 2013, 11:06
cool im off to smash all my indicators off,cause they make my bike look fucking ugly

Go for your life.
Motorists don't see 'em anyway.

Berries
5th June 2013, 08:17
Perhaps the bulb blew five minutes previously?

Quite possibly, but there should be a few alarm bells going.

Towing a trailer so probably no lights, brakes, indicators or otherwise? Tick.
Towing a horse float so thinking more of the horse than any one else? Tick.
Towing a horse float so likely to turn slowly and wide? Tick.
100m previously had cut someone off? Tick.
You are on a bike so have probably not been seen? Tick.
If the driver uses the mirrors they won't see past the horse float anyway? Tick.
Woman driver? Tick.

Ocean1
5th June 2013, 20:24
there should be a few alarm bells going.

Tick.
Tick.
Tick.
Tick.
Tick.
Tick.
Tick.

:wait:

:wait:

:sleep:

scumdog
5th June 2013, 20:39

"because youd THINK she was moving over to turn right"

That THINK can get you dead.

Ya gotta KNOW!;)

danchop
5th June 2013, 20:51
"because youd THINK she was moving over to turn right"

That THINK can get you dead.

Ya gotta KNOW!;)
so the correct thing to do in this case,is what?
pull over to the right along with her(so as your still behind the float)and then maybe stop,and have a cup of fucken tea,until she decides where on this road she actually wants to go?
its not his fault,he hit the door of the vehicle not the back of the float so stopping within distance crap,isnt an arguement

James Deuce
5th June 2013, 20:51
Ya gotta KNOW!;)

To understand.

James Deuce
5th June 2013, 20:53
pull over to the right along with her(so as your still behind the float)and then maybe stop,and have a cup of fucken tea,until she decides where on this road she actually wants to go?
its not his fault,he hit the door of the vehicle not the back of the float so stopping within distance crap,isnt an arguement

Lol. :corn:

sharp2183
5th June 2013, 21:28

Seems like he did the only thing he could. But that's not the point, he should have had a big enough following distance that he had more options.

danchop
5th June 2013, 21:49
yeah like 5 car lengths behind or some rediculous stat,drive like that at 50kph around auckland and you may as well wear the gimp suit to match

Mushu
5th June 2013, 22:00

Yea pretty much, if she stopped without indicating he should stop until he knows why she stopped or which way she was turning, he was lucky he hit the car, he could have got between the car and trailer then he'd have been fucked, she probably wouldn't have noticed him at all and wouldn't have stopped.
I wouldn't wanna get run over by a horse float.

scumdog
6th June 2013, 18:59

If you think it would help....